LTH Home

South Burbs

South Burbs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • South Burbs

Post #1 - January 13th, 2005, 12:15 pm
    Post #1 - January 13th, 2005, 12:15 pm Post #1 - January 13th, 2005, 12:15 pm
    I have to shoot down to South Holland 159th tonight. I haven't been
    down there in years. Grew up in NW Indiana. Anything kickin for
    chow? Was thinking about Dusty's but probably won't make it there.
    Any ideas? Worse comes to worse I can go to Cunis for an ice cream
    fix

Thanks

Dave
  • Post #2 - January 13th, 2005, 12:55 pm
    Post #2 - January 13th, 2005, 12:55 pm Post #2 - January 13th, 2005, 12:55 pm
    There is a new Nigerian place around Torrence and Sibley in Calumet City. I haven't been there yet but it's something new to consider.
  • Post #3 - January 13th, 2005, 1:26 pm
    Post #3 - January 13th, 2005, 1:26 pm Post #3 - January 13th, 2005, 1:26 pm
    Lincoln's
    1458 Sibley Blvd.
    Calumet City
    708-891-3240

Sandwiches,pie,what more could you want?
  • Post #4 - January 13th, 2005, 1:31 pm
    Post #4 - January 13th, 2005, 1:31 pm Post #4 - January 13th, 2005, 1:31 pm
    Wow they are still open. It's been years. What's good there?
  • Post #5 - January 13th, 2005, 1:38 pm
    Post #5 - January 13th, 2005, 1:38 pm Post #5 - January 13th, 2005, 1:38 pm
    I have not been recently but usually get a Reuben which is not a true Reuben-served with mustard instead of Thousand Island.
  • Post #6 - January 13th, 2005, 5:26 pm
    Post #6 - January 13th, 2005, 5:26 pm Post #6 - January 13th, 2005, 5:26 pm
    If it were a Wednesday or a Friday, I would suggest that you try Club 81, Too*, in Hegewisch. This being Thursday, though, I will say that you could do much worse than the sausage pizza at John's, in Calumet City.

I first learned of John's pizza one night this past summer while Bob S. and I were having pizza at Marie's, on Lawrence. Bob and I got to speaking with a couple that--while they both loved Marie's dearly--each had their preferred destinations for pizza. The gentleman preferred John's and said that it was quite unique, and most certainly worth the trip.

A few days before Christmas, I trekked down to Club 81, Too with Cathy2 and Rene G. We were going there to collect our orders of fresh kielbasa, which they make in-house, and only for the Holidays. While we also intended to eat at Club 81, Too, we were turned away because they were having a private party. With this news, my suggestion was to try John's, in Calumet City.

John's specialty is a ground sausage pizza. Additionally, they cut the pizza in an interesting manner, as evident in the photo, below. We were all favourably impressed with the pizza. The ground sausage was indeed unique, and quite tasty. It reminded me, at least, of Beggar's Pizza, in Oak Forest. The fresh garlic was evident in abundance, and the crisp crust turned out to be deceptively light and airy.

John's sausage, garlic, and onion pizza

Club 81, Too
    13157 Avenue M
    Chicago (Hegewisch)

John's Restaurant
    121 State Street
    Calumet City

Marie's Pizza
    4127 W. Lawrence

Regards,
    Erik M.

* Club 81, Too is a tavern in Hegewisch that only serves food on Wednesday and Friday evenings. Wednesdays feature fried chicken and rib dinners, while Fridays feature several different fried fish dinners. I first visited Club 81, Too with Cathy2, Rene G, and Bob S. this past summer. A review is forthcoming.
  • Post #7 - January 13th, 2005, 10:34 pm
    Post #7 - January 13th, 2005, 10:34 pm Post #7 - January 13th, 2005, 10:34 pm
    Erik M. wrote:This being Thursday, though, I will say that you could do much worse than the sausage pizza at John's, in Calumet City.

I agree, it's good pizza. If this were a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday you could do even better at John's: all eat-in pizzas are half price. This means a large (16 inch) sausage pie is only $8.50, one of the best pizza deals anywhere. Be sure to try the 'loosemeat' sausage, an interesting variation on a common topping. John's has been around, in one form or another, in Calumet City for almost 60 years. In addition to pizza, they have a large menu of Italian-American standards and a full bar.

Yes, Club 81 Too deserves a post of its own.
  • Post #8 - January 14th, 2005, 1:16 pm
    Post #8 - January 14th, 2005, 1:16 pm Post #8 - January 14th, 2005, 1:16 pm
    Growing up in Cal City we always made fun of John's for the loose sausage thing. In fact I didn't know anybody that liked it. Obviously somebody did (and continues to) because it's still around. It's interesting to hear an outside perspective on a place like John's. It almost makes me want to give it another try but I just don't have fond memories of it.

In case anybody is wondering, pizza in my house generally came from either State Line Pizza or Aurelio's. My dad had a thing for a place on Torrence just north of Pulaski (there is an east-west Pulaski in CC) that is now closed so we used eat there a few times a month too. The name was something like Rikovinas.
  • Post #9 - January 14th, 2005, 4:09 pm
    Post #9 - January 14th, 2005, 4:09 pm Post #9 - January 14th, 2005, 4:09 pm
    If you are looking for something different, try Siam Marina on 147th Street, or by River Oaks shopping center. The food is great. I am partial to their seafood specials. My family likes the one on 147th street better, it's small and clean and the service is great.
  • Post #10 - January 14th, 2005, 4:11 pm
    Post #10 - January 14th, 2005, 4:11 pm Post #10 - January 14th, 2005, 4:11 pm
    Re; Siam Marina

Welcome to LTH!

Could you please comment on the type of food available at Siam Marina?

Thanks!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #11 - January 14th, 2005, 4:23 pm
    Post #11 - January 14th, 2005, 4:23 pm Post #11 - January 14th, 2005, 4:23 pm
    It's Thai food (and I know from lurking on the Board for some time that there are some people on this Board emotionally attached to Thai food). Everything is always very fresh. I have yet to have a bad meal there. My husband is partial to the curry dishes and my youngest daughter always orders the Chicken Pad See Eiw (sp?). It's a storefont place in a strip mall across from "The Lord and Lou's Barbershop." The second location is larger, near River Oaks shopping center.
  • Post #12 - January 14th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    Post #12 - January 14th, 2005, 4:38 pm Post #12 - January 14th, 2005, 4:38 pm
    I should have given the address of the restaurant. The smaller one is:

Siam Marina
    1669 Sibley Blvd.
    Calumet City
    708-868-0560

The larger one is:

80 River Oaks Center Drive, #101
    Calumet City
  • Post #13 - January 14th, 2005, 7:11 pm
    Post #13 - January 14th, 2005, 7:11 pm Post #13 - January 14th, 2005, 7:11 pm
    Siam Marina isn't a bad option in Cal City. In fact it might be one of the best and I agree that the one on Sibley is better. However, it's still just an average Thai place. Moreover, it's very much Ameri-Thai. There is really nothing remotely interesting on the menu and they have no Thai or secret menu. When asked if they served anything not on the menu they told me they had a crab rangoon variety but that was it. I pried a little more but I'm pretty sure they just don't serve anything else except extremely standard stuff. I don't blame them, though. I know the area and they wouldn't do very well offering more exotic items on the menu.

The food that they do offer isn't bad. Nothing is really exciting or amazing but it's OK. I've learned that the chicken is pretty close to standar chinese take out quality. Not quite jello but not too far off. Vegetable dishes aren't bad and the curries are decent.

It's great that its an option in Cal City and I will eat there quite a bit when I'm there and need to eat. However, I would never go out my way for it and I would rank it very near the bottom of Thai places in Chicago.

I kind of feel bad saying anything negative about the place because everybody involved with the restaurants are quite nice and really go out of their way for customers. Moreover, I'm glad it's there and I hope they do well and stay in business forever. However, I don't want to see anybody making a 45 minute drive to try a potential hidden gem.
  • Post #14 - January 16th, 2005, 7:21 pm
    Post #14 - January 16th, 2005, 7:21 pm Post #14 - January 16th, 2005, 7:21 pm
    What a jerk...me, that is. So I went to Siam Marina today and I have to take back some of what I said. I had a very good meal. Again, nothing spectacular but it wasn't on the bottom end of Thai in Chicago (like I had said earlier). I'd say it's better than places like Penny's.

I think my initial reaction to the post about Siam Marina was based more on the mall location than the one on Sibley. Even though I said the Sibley one was better I guess I didn't realize how much better it is. Almost like they are unrelated (identical menus still, though).

So, if you're in the south burbs, by all means, Siam Marina on Sibley. You won't be blown away but you will still have a good meal.

On another topic, there were three different places right by Siam Marina that are pretty new. One is a Carribean place that has a big sign that says "Goat Catering Available" and the other two are African take out/catering places in the same strip mall as Del Santos (great Italian Sausage btw).
  • Post #15 - June 20th, 2006, 8:48 am
    Post #15 - June 20th, 2006, 8:48 am Post #15 - June 20th, 2006, 8:48 am
    I've eaten at the Siam Marina at the River Oaks Mall many times and once at the Sibley location. I did not notice a discernible difference in food quality. Both locations have a gingered sole dish that is steamed and served with preserved plums--it's out of this world. They took it off the printed menu but still serve it.
  • Post #16 - August 14th, 2015, 5:22 pm
    Post #16 - August 14th, 2015, 5:22 pm Post #16 - August 14th, 2015, 5:22 pm
    Bumpin this up.

Heading down to Cal City tomorrow to get a bucket of Lee's Carry Out for a possible picnic in the forest preserve right by River Oaks. But before that, I was thinking about some good Jerk or anything else that i can nosh on before that.

Any recommendations? Harvey, Dolton, South Holland, Calumet City
    #SOUTHSIDESLITHER

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more