LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 22 of 22 
  • Post #631 - February 26th, 2024, 6:36 pm
    Post #631 - February 26th, 2024, 6:36 pm Post #631 - February 26th, 2024, 6:36 pm
    FTC sues to block Kroger, Albertsons merger, arguing deal would raise grocery prices and hurt workers

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/26/ftc-sue ... erger.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #632 - February 26th, 2024, 10:06 pm
    Post #632 - February 26th, 2024, 10:06 pm Post #632 - February 26th, 2024, 10:06 pm
    Kroger has created a website to promote their side of the merger story:
    https://www.krogeralbertsons.com/

Some interesting claims about reducing prices at the Roundy's family of stores. Many PickNSave shoppers in the Milwaukee area along with some Mariano's shoppers will tell you it was all about reducing quality. Kroger claims it will reduce prices at former Albertsons stores, but I'm extremely skeptical about Jewel stores specifically - Jewel is consistently cheaper than Kroger already.

And doesn't address inevitable store closings where there are duplications. There weren't any in the Roundy's merger. Kroger had no stores in Wisconsin and minimal presence in Mariano's turf. I doubt Lake Zurich needs 3 Krogers - altho it seems to be ok with 2 Jewels only blocks apart!
  • Post #633 - March 20th, 2024, 6:08 pm
    Post #633 - March 20th, 2024, 6:08 pm Post #633 - March 20th, 2024, 6:08 pm
    I was at Mariano’s today and they were out of paper bags which seems to be happening a lot. My cashier told me that they usually run out on Sunday so I shouldn’t expect paper bags until closer to the weekend. And then expect they will run out on Sunday.
  • Post #634 - April 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm
    Post #634 - April 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm Post #634 - April 22nd, 2024, 1:14 pm
    Kroger, Albertsons to sell 166 more stores seeking approval of $25 billion merger

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/k ... 024-04-22/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #635 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:13 pm
    Post #635 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:13 pm Post #635 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:13 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Kroger, Albertsons to sell 166 more stores seeking approval of $25 billion merger

https://www.reuters.com/markets/deals/k ... 024-04-22/

At least one other article I saw said they'd sell off Mariano's, or most of the stores along with some Jewel units. If someone else were to pick up Mariano's, that might be OK, but if they're picking and choosing and just putting low-performing stores on the open market, it's probably worse.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #636 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:30 pm
    Post #636 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:30 pm Post #636 - April 22nd, 2024, 3:30 pm
    The Bloomberg article reprinted on Crain's Chicago Business site says that the number of stores to be sold in Illinois rises to 35 from 14. An accompanying mapping of stores notes that Mariano's has 44 stores and Jewel has 188 locations, mostly in city and surrounding counties. It sure seems as though the sales are likely to be the reverse of cherry picking. My guess is that the feds are going to want more and perhaps different sales before they will approve the merger. Lawyers and economic consultants will continue to rack up fees.
  • Post #637 - April 22nd, 2024, 11:53 pm
    Post #637 - April 22nd, 2024, 11:53 pm Post #637 - April 22nd, 2024, 11:53 pm
    Latest from the horse's mouth here: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 23299.html

Whatever Marianos stores remain owned by Kroger will not be branded Marianos - that brand will be sold to C&S Wholesale Grocers along with the QFC, Carr's and Haggen brands. In an extremely confusing way, Albertsons-labeled stores in California and Wyoming will be owned by C&S while Albertsons in other states will be Krogers. Ditto for Safeway in Arizona and Colorado. I think we can assume this means that Chicagoland stores sold to C&S, whether they are currently Jewels or Marianos, will be labeled Marianos, not Piggly Wiggly.
    JoelF wrote:...but if they're picking and choosing and just putting low-performing stores on the open market, it's probably worse.
    My guess is that they'll sell off stores where there are two or more in the same area, choosing the worst to divest. For example, the banner Marianos in Vernon Hills will be Kroger while the junky Jewel just north on Milwaukee Av will go to C&S, probably swapping signs. In Gurnee, the smaller former-Dominick's Marianos will go, while the relatively large Jewel in the same extended shopping center will remain. Keep the full-featured Marianos at Willow and Sanders in Northbrook, dump the spartan Jewel to the east, again switching the signs.

An interesting local note: C&S is a member of Topco, the Itasca-based purchasing group that supplies Food Club and other brands to Piggly Wiggly, Butera, Meijer, Woodmans and Hy-Vee in this area and many others nationwide.
  • Post #638 - April 23rd, 2024, 2:21 pm
    Post #638 - April 23rd, 2024, 2:21 pm Post #638 - April 23rd, 2024, 2:21 pm
    For those on Chicago's northwest side, it will perplex as to which store at Western and Roscoe will be kept by the merged Kroger | Albertsons.
    This is heuristic in my vista, but I perceive each corporation senses the U. S. Government is disinclined to approve the merger, so it is slicing off more stores that it would keep otherwise.
    If C & S winds up with more locations, I think they should brand them as "Butera". "Mariano's" may be a spoiled name by now. :roll:
    But I maintain the merger should not be approved anyhow. :idea:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more