LTH Home

Horrible service but great food. What's your philosophy?

Horrible service but great food. What's your philosophy?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Horrible service but great food. What's your philosophy?

Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 12:34 pm
    Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 12:34 pm Post #1 - November 24th, 2009, 12:34 pm
    Throughout my life, I have experienced numerous places that don't treat customers right, and yet, their food is fantastic. Are we supposed to protest by not visiting these establishments? Recently, I ate at Susie's Drive Thru, which I found to be super delicious, but the service was downright awful. Another Chicago example that comes to mind is Great Lake, but I know I've read about more. Do you avoid these places because they treat you poorly or is the food enough of a reason to tolerate their behavior?
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
  • Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 12:44 pm
    Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 12:44 pm Post #2 - November 24th, 2009, 12:44 pm
    You may be interested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24799&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0
  • Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm
    Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm Post #3 - November 24th, 2009, 12:46 pm
    You may be interested in this ;)
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #4 - November 24th, 2009, 12:58 pm
    Post #4 - November 24th, 2009, 12:58 pm Post #4 - November 24th, 2009, 12:58 pm
    Thanks!
    "The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."
  • Post #5 - November 24th, 2009, 1:35 pm
    Post #5 - November 24th, 2009, 1:35 pm Post #5 - November 24th, 2009, 1:35 pm
    IMHO, poor service would color my view of a place that may otherwise have been perfectly acceptable. After all, service is one component of the overall dining experience and an important one at that.
  • Post #6 - November 24th, 2009, 2:07 pm
    Post #6 - November 24th, 2009, 2:07 pm Post #6 - November 24th, 2009, 2:07 pm
    my position from the previous thread still stands for me.

I will return to a place where I've received poor service if the food is unique and great. If the food is not so great or great but not unique - I figure, why give them my business if they don't appreciate it? There are thousands of other fantastic food options in this city.
  • Post #7 - February 11th, 2020, 7:53 pm
    Post #7 - February 11th, 2020, 7:53 pm Post #7 - February 11th, 2020, 7:53 pm
    HI,

Responding to comments I made here.

Today was one of those days: food good, service not so.

I have a friend who I share lunch about once every five years. I don't have her phone number, because we mostly exchange emails or comments whenever we bump into each other.

I arrived on time for lunch, which is better than usual. I am more in the few minutes late type than on time. When I walked in, I did not see my friend. I stood reading the portable lunch special sign and survey the room trying to decide where to sit. Most of the two-tops not near anybody was by the front door. Where there was a two-top far from the door, there were a group of women conversing.

The owner came up inquiring what I planned to do. I advised I was taking a table, but would wait to order once my friend arrived. I took the table near the women, who were discussing someone who had divorced three husbands. I really did not want to know, but it was hard to miss.

Every couple of minutes, the owner or a server would inquire if I wanted to order something. Meanwhile, a woman walks in, but it did not seem to be my friend. The owner came over, "Is that your friend? What's her name?" Why I even answered is beyond me, "Peggy." "Betty!," "No, Peggy!" He walks over to this table inquiring, "Are you Betty?" Oh, he knew this person, so this was a set up for a joke. Ha. Ha. Ha.

After 15 minutes, I was about to order when my friend showed up. She did not have her coat off, when a server asked to take her order. Obviously, she was not ready. A few minutes later, he was back. She rushed reading the menu and settled on her choice.

We were quite engrossed in conversation with several subjects needing deep review. The restaurant was never packed or half packed, nobody was waiting, so I did not feel the need to eat and run. I will pack up and go, if there is a desperate need for my table.

After a while, the owner comes over inquiring if we want our bill. Under his breath he said, "I may have to charge you for the space you are occupying." "Sure, bring the bill. We are paying separately." About 15 minutes later, "Are you going to pay your bill?" "We do not have one." Another 15 minutes later it seemed, we asked, "Can we have our bill?" The owner points at us, "What did you order?" We repeat, then he shouts how much we each owe. I had a hard time understanding what he said and he was not thrilled to repeat.

It was been my intention to buy something to take home. After a while, all I wanted to do was escape.

If and when I do go back, I will just order take out. Or go to his daughter's place, which is far friendlier and cozier.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #8 - February 12th, 2020, 11:35 am
    Post #8 - February 12th, 2020, 11:35 am Post #8 - February 12th, 2020, 11:35 am
    Cathy2 wrote:After 15 minutes, I was about to order when my friend showed up. She did not have her coat off, when a server asked to take her order. Obviously, she was not ready. A few minutes later, he was back. She rushed reading the menu and settled on her choice.

We were quite engrossed in conversation with several subjects needing deep review. The restaurant was never packed or half packed, nobody was waiting, so I did not feel the need to eat and run. I will pack up and go, if there is a desperate need for my table.

After a while, the owner comes over inquiring if we want our bill. Under his breath he said, "I may have to charge you for the space you are occupying." "Sure, bring the bill. We are paying separately." About 15 minutes later, "Are you going to pay your bill?" "We do not have one." Another 15 minutes later it seemed, we asked, "Can we have our bill?" The owner points at us, "What did you order?" We repeat, then he shouts how much we each owe. I had a hard time understanding what he said and he was not thrilled to repeat.

This story is completely ridiculous. Why would anyone act this way, much less the owner, when you are not keeping a table from another customer? How do they remain in business?

I haven't been there in years, and now have no need to ever visit again.

I have experienced similar rushes in empty restaurants that I don't understand, but usually from a server, not an owner. I have never seen so many poorly trained servers as in the last decade or so. I always wonder if the server has ever been to a restaurant as a customer themselves.
  • Post #9 - February 12th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Post #9 - February 12th, 2020, 5:29 pm Post #9 - February 12th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:This story is completely ridiculous. Why would anyone act this way, much less the owner, when you are not keeping a table from another customer? How do they remain in business?

Indeed. I am very lax in my expectations of service. It can be slow, indifferent, and brusk, but as long as the food is good, I'm probably not going to notice. But that is actively unfriendly, and I would be unlikely to patronize that establishment again.
  • Post #10 - February 13th, 2020, 1:28 pm
    Post #10 - February 13th, 2020, 1:28 pm Post #10 - February 13th, 2020, 1:28 pm
    Al Ehrhardt wrote:This story is completely ridiculous. Why would anyone act this way, much less the owner, when you are not keeping a table from another customer? How do they remain in business?

What restaurant are you talking about? I don't see it named, and knowing would be helpful (to avoid it).
  • Post #11 - February 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    Post #11 - February 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm Post #11 - February 13th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    bweiny wrote:

What restaurant are you talking about? I don't see it named, and knowing would be helpful (to avoid it).

The same place Cathy was discussing, Maria's Bakery and Cafe in Highwood.
  • Post #12 - February 13th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    Post #12 - February 13th, 2020, 5:05 pm Post #12 - February 13th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    It's clear you were discussing the same place, it's just that we didn't know what that place was, as it wasn't mentioned in either your post or the post being responded to, unless me and bweiny missed it.
  • Post #13 - February 13th, 2020, 5:43 pm
    Post #13 - February 13th, 2020, 5:43 pm Post #13 - February 13th, 2020, 5:43 pm
    HI,

This is entirely my fault.

In my original post, I made a point of complimenting the food. I also did not want to sound like a yelp review: food good, but then it goes off the rails.

I will put a link back to the post that got the ball rolling.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more