LTH Home

Wabash Seafood Company

Wabash Seafood Company
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Wabash Seafood Company

Post #1 - July 3rd, 2017, 9:52 am
    Post #1 - July 3rd, 2017, 9:52 am Post #1 - July 3rd, 2017, 9:52 am
    For those Near West Side residents (like us) who sorely miss Isaacson and Stein, and find driving to Villa Park or even to Dirk's to be too inconvenient, there is a fish market, formerly only wholesale, now open for retail business. This is the Wabash Seafood Company on West Hubbard at Oakley.

It is not a self-serve market as Isaacson and Stein was, but on our first visit this past Friday, what we saw and purchased was excellent. They have a moderate selection and the prices are competitive. If you don't see something you want, ask. We got ourselves a lovely tuna steak that hadn't been put out yet.

On one visit, we were impressed; the people are friendly, and we are very pleased to again have a reliable seafood market in our neighborhood.

Wabash Seafood Company
    2249 W Hubbard St
    Chicago, IL 60612
    (312) 733-5070
    https://www.wabashseafood.net/
    Mon - Thur 11am-4pm
    Friday 11am-5pm
    Saturday 9am-1pm
    "Ash, that transmission - Mother's deciphered part of it.
    It doesn't look like an S.O.S....it looks like a warning."
    -- Ellen Ripley
  • Post #2 - December 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm
    Post #2 - December 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm Post #2 - December 10th, 2018, 3:01 pm
    just noticed this Wabash Seafood "open to the public" sign and came here to see if anyone had experience - more thoughts since the initial 2017 post?
  • Post #3 - December 11th, 2018, 8:46 am
    Post #3 - December 11th, 2018, 8:46 am Post #3 - December 11th, 2018, 8:46 am
    annak wrote:just noticed this Wabash Seafood "open to the public" sign and came here to see if anyone had experience - more thoughts since the initial 2017 post?

Discovering Wabash Seafood has been one of the best things that's happened to me in 2018! Very fresh product, and as mentioned above, friendly and helpful staff. There is always some interesting fish not often seen elsewhere (e.g., uku) available in the display cases, and they have much more they can pull from the back. No matter what I choose for the main dish, it's hard for me to not also order some oysters, and, one of my favorite proteins, rock shrimp.

Example of staff friendliness: When I was there in June, among the fresh products, I purchased a fish spatula. When I got home, I realized I didn't have it. I didn't take the receipt so wasn't positive I was charged for it, wasn't certain if I left it there vs lost it on the way home, and got lazy and never called to check on it. Fast forward to November when I finally returned (not sure what took me so long). A man who is seemingly an owner or a manager came from behind the counter and handed me the wrapped spatula, with an attached receipt which was how I knew the date of my prior visit. He mentioned one of the staff recognized me and they had been holding it until I returned. I was very impressed!

Note to moderators: Perhaps can please break off some of these posts of to a new page for Wabash Seafood? Thanks
  • Post #4 - October 26th, 2019, 6:35 am
    Post #4 - October 26th, 2019, 6:35 am Post #4 - October 26th, 2019, 6:35 am
    Excellent selection of very reasonably priced east coast oysters (bluepoint, wellfleet, beausoleil, stellamar, french kiss, wianno) and hard-to-find luxe Black Cod, plus 6 different varieties of Salmon ranging from $11.95/lb to $19.95/lb. They're only open ill 5pm on Friday so have to hustle, but a nice place to stock up for the weekend!
  • Post #5 - October 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm
    Post #5 - October 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm Post #5 - October 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm
    I somehow missed this thread but am glad I found it. Great news to have a seafood market closer to me since the unfortunate closing of Isaacson & Stein. As I subscribe to Sitka Salmon Shares these days I always have an abundance of quality fish but good to know about the oysters, rock shrimp, etc.

FWIW they have a website - OP or mod's may want to update the first post to include it:
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #6 - October 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm
    Post #6 - October 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm Post #6 - October 30th, 2019, 1:14 pm
    Kman wrote:FWIW they have a website - OP or mod's may want to update the first post to include it:

Thanks, for the heads up. The information has been added at the top.

=R=
    for the Moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #7 - December 24th, 2019, 9:42 am
    Post #7 - December 24th, 2019, 9:42 am Post #7 - December 24th, 2019, 9:42 am
    Just saw the following on a Facebook post by Wabash Seafoods, which bums me out — I always enjoyed walking in to chat with the staff and see what was on offer.

"Effective January 2, 2020, we will no longer have display cases. We will still be open to the public and accept walk-ins, though we highly recommend pre-ordering in advance to avoid a wait time."
  • Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 8:20 am
    Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 8:20 am Post #8 - April 26th, 2022, 8:20 am
    Per a phone call today, I was informed that they are no longer offering retail sales, and are currently a wholesale-only business

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more