LTH Home

Southwest Suburbs - good eats?

Southwest Suburbs - good eats?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 8th, 2014, 8:00 am
    Post #31 - April 8th, 2014, 8:00 am Post #31 - April 8th, 2014, 8:00 am
    Had a serious Gyros crave for about a month now, glad I found a spot close to my work. Saw Geo's Gyros on my way down 79th street on my many visits to Frank's for some shrimps. Checked out their facebook page, etc. and decided to roll in. Biggest reason yesterday, I saw they have been doing a coney style dog, that and a gyros sounded great.

FB page:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Geos-Gyr ... 5825608463

Mom and pop spot, mom working the register. $5 and change for a heaping portion of gyros, and about $2.75 for the coney dog - they call it a "Sloppy Dog" on the menu

the Sloppy Dog - sweet coney sauce(it was sweet),, chopped onion, cheddar. I should have asked for mustard - might have balanced the coney sauce out(at least to my taste) otherwise a perfect dog, well steamed bun, beef dog.

Geo's will be in my regular lunch rotation..

Geo's Gyros
    7090 W. 79th Street
    Burbank, IL.
  • Post #32 - April 9th, 2014, 7:43 am
    Post #32 - April 9th, 2014, 7:43 am Post #32 - April 9th, 2014, 7:43 am
    Gyros search in an indirect way keyed me in on a Halal charcoal grilled chicken and pizza joint down on Harlem & 107th in Worth. Saw on their FB page they were grilling their chicken over charcoal and were also doing some NY style pizza slices. - Im in..

Brooklyn Halal Grilled Chicken & Pizza

Read to try the chicken garlic style, they also offer it spicy or plain. I got the lunch special 1/2 chicken and rice - $5.99. When I opened the container I thought there was some odd cheese sauce on the chicken, turns out it was a really nice garlicky, slightly lemon and in a good way oily sauce. The 1/2 chicken is bone in and spatchcocked. .

I know pretty pic, - sue* me, tough to make styro dining attractive. I liked this chicken- messy as hell, I think I got every morsel of meat off dem' bones..

NY style pizza - not an expert, but I do like those big pieces..

Went with cheese, really nice crust- no sog at all - not cracker crisp, but nice.. Sauce was sweet in a good way.. for $2.25 - I liked it.

bonus pic :wink: :

On the edge of my range for lunch from Burr Ridge, but in the rotation..

Brooklyn Halal Grilled Chicken and Pizza
    10607 S. Harlem Ave.
    Worth, IL.

FB Page:

https://www.facebook.com/BrooklynHalalG ... ickenPizza
  • Post #33 - April 21st, 2014, 7:40 am
    Post #33 - April 21st, 2014, 7:40 am Post #33 - April 21st, 2014, 7:40 am
    Gyros crave continues. Jimmy's Drive in over on Roberts Road in Justice - built on a former Dogs-n-Suds location. Doing up some Devenco brand cones vs Kronos. More herbs present in the blend and a tasty inexpensive feast of meat for lunch:

Gyros plate with fries ($6.75) - these cats dont skimp on the tzatziki - -also dug the chunk of feta..:

Jimmy's Drive In
    8304 S. Roberts Road
    Justice, IL.

http://www.jimmysdrivein.com/welcome.html
  • Post #34 - May 20th, 2014, 8:01 am
    Post #34 - May 20th, 2014, 8:01 am Post #34 - May 20th, 2014, 8:01 am
    Took a few weeks of trying but I finally got over to Fatso's in Oak Lawn for lunch.

Was kind of interested in their Fatso Dog(2 hotdogs,chili, cheese, onions, jalapenos... deep fried like a chimichanga).. or one of their over the top Fatso Burgers... but ill save that for another visit.

I did go with a basic cheeseburger. 1/3 lb. flame broiled. They say never frozen Angus, I have no reason to not believe. Served with lettuce, tomato, pickles, onion and Fatso Sauce - it was a pretty damn good burger. That said the Cali Dog: bacon wrapped hotdog,with ketchup, mustard, mayo, grilled onions, grilled green peppers and topped with jalapenos was my favorite item of this visit.

thinking Fatsos has made it into my lunch rotation.

Fatso's
    6035 W. 95th Street
    Oak Lawn, IL.

http://fatsos.weebly.com/our-menu.html
  • Post #35 - December 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm
    Post #35 - December 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm Post #35 - December 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm
    dramisino wrote:Gatto's #1 suggestion
    Tin Fish for great seafood and raw bar
    Chef Klaus for German old school

Bartolini's in Midlothian. Incredible food

Ottimo on LaGrange
    Jack Gibbons' for old school steak house
    Fox's on Wolf (never been but hear nothing but good things)

Thanks for the great suggestion! The Meatballs were also a recommendation from a friend who also lives in the area.

We had some early afternoon business in the area... Too early for most places, wanted to support The Maple Tree after their fire (temporarily located in Brio Tuscan Grill at York and Western) but...

Bartolini's Restaurant
    14420 Pulaski Rd, Midlothian

An unassuming pizza place/bar located in a corner of a strip mall. You walk in with a view of the expansive kitchen and pizza pickup area, walk into the bar area to the left.

Lively with the area filled with locals chowing down on the ‘Famous Chili’.

I didn’t even look at the menu as I had done my research; A Meatball Dinner, a bowl of Minestrone...

Placing my order I discovered that the Minestrone was only available on Wednesday’s and had to make a late call and order one of the soups of the day...

FF411E2E-1551-449D-BB91-73F8A311F163.jpeg Chicken Dumpling

Glad to make the switch! Generous, big pieces of chicken, homemade (?) dumplings and a cream base unlike most Greek places that had a nice cream flavor instead of a standard soup base.

My Bride went with a cup of...

7690AB98-2A35-4DA2-8AB8-FDD7DF697F2C.jpeg Beef Barley

... which was a perfect rendition. goof flavor to the broth, lightly thickened, and the bits of beef not too big or too small. Just right. :)

Moving beyond, of course I had the Meatballs and the only entree available was with spaghetti.

8E57C8FF-1207-40A0-9BE0-C4CF075E90FA.jpeg

As advertised, delicious! Lightly browned with a terrific flavor. Only complaint was that they were on the small side. I had ordered an additional two (to the two that comes with the meal) and wished I had ordered an additional four. I have a tradition of eating only a potion of my meals and taking the rest home for another (or maybe 2 or 3) meals.

Too much (good!) sauce which lent itself to cutting the meatballs and giving a dip and would of been better with bread service to encourage more sopping.

My Bride had the Fettuccine Alfredo, rich and creamy, causing her again to proclaim it was ‘The best she ever had’ (again :) ). I had a taste and had to agree it was pretty darn good.

8EB213FE-02E2-4CEF-9183-569E0E43F27A.jpeg Not very photogenic

Meal finished and My Bride had a rare sweet tooth (was perusing the dessert menu before her meal) and we decided on the dessert proudly proclaimed to be ‘Dominic’s Famous Tiramasu’.

01DEECE7-2B2D-40DC-9CA8-FBF7C84D48F9.jpeg

Wow! Big, beautiful,dusted with cocoa powder. I exhibited restraint and only had a bite or two but she had no problems finishing the big serving. Sated that sweet tooth perfectly.

55BE68AE-3BA7-4F6F-B4AF-952B9AB8DFE4.jpeg Could of had a few more layers of Lady Fingers but... :)

Talking with the waitress and mentioning the wonderful food she mentioned that both brothers have been culinary school trained and it really shows. Well developed recipes as everything was spot on.

92BBFFE8-3DE6-4156-89DB-92857554EF5B.jpeg Garlic Bread

As might be said... “Count us as Fans!”
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #36 - June 11th, 2019, 5:16 pm
    Post #36 - June 11th, 2019, 5:16 pm Post #36 - June 11th, 2019, 5:16 pm
    If you are still in the area:
    The Capri restaurant is Italian old school and we have fun every time we go. Might be related to the huge wine pours. About 3 blocks north of 127th on Harlem.

Jack Gibbons Garden is a great place for steaks and drinks with low wine markups on Oak Park Ave just north of Tinley Park.

For pizza delivery or pick up we really like the thin crust from Lucanos’s Pizza. Very tasty.
    Find good food and eat it.
    Sapatero
  • Post #37 - July 5th, 2019, 12:01 pm
    Post #37 - July 5th, 2019, 12:01 pm Post #37 - July 5th, 2019, 12:01 pm
    We will be in Orland Park this weekend for kid's sports. Any other good suggestions for this area- I see this thread is 8 years old.

Thanks,
    Susan
  • Post #38 - July 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm
    Post #38 - July 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm Post #38 - July 5th, 2019, 2:03 pm
    Guessing you will be at Centenial Park. Couple of good places at 16301 S Lagrange: Osteria Ottimo and Mama Maria's . Ottimo is a good Italian spot and Mama Maria's right next doors serves up tacos, tequila, and good beer selection. Both good with kids. Of course, you are free to go up and down Lagrange and every imaginable chain has a location.

If you are interested in middle eastern food here are three good ones:
    Shish kabob house, 9300 w 159th;
    SemSem Oak Park Avenue and 159th (think chipotle)
    Grapevine Bakery 14400 s John Humphrey Dr

One other suggestion is Traverso's Pizza, 15701 S Harlem Good tavern style pizza and good broasted chicken
  • Post #39 - July 11th, 2019, 10:27 pm
    Post #39 - July 11th, 2019, 10:27 pm Post #39 - July 11th, 2019, 10:27 pm
    Another weekend- another baseball tournament- this time in Palos Heights- any recs?

Thanks,
    Susan
  • Post #40 - July 12th, 2019, 5:51 am
    Post #40 - July 12th, 2019, 5:51 am Post #40 - July 12th, 2019, 5:51 am
    Franklin’s Public House
    Harvest Room
    Frangella Italian Market
  • Post #41 - July 12th, 2019, 1:05 pm
    Post #41 - July 12th, 2019, 1:05 pm Post #41 - July 12th, 2019, 1:05 pm
    In that area, I really enjoy The Original Island Shrimp House.

There's a few videos on Youtube from various sources if you want to look it up and get a sense of whether it's something you like or not. I just get the straightforward peel & eat shrimp, which I enjoy, but they're known for their lobster mac & cheese and lobster roll (which I've never had, since I'm happy with my usual choice.)

The Original Island Shrimp House
    12902 South La Grange Road
    Palos Park, IL 60464
  • Post #42 - July 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm
    Post #42 - July 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm Post #42 - July 12th, 2019, 1:07 pm
    This is a good thread...

viewtopic.php?p=464672
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #43 - November 27th, 2019, 10:30 am
    Post #43 - November 27th, 2019, 10:30 am Post #43 - November 27th, 2019, 10:30 am
    Louisa’s
    Here is another vote for Louisa’s pan pizza. I had the sausage and pepperoni and it is very, very good. I actually used to prefer thin crust tavern style. Louisa’s pan pizza now is my favorite.
    Crust is really buttery, the sauce isn’t sweet, but tangy like tomato, sausage is good, and the pepperoni is the best I’ve ever had.
    Find good food and eat it.
    Sapatero

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more