LTH Home

Leo's Beef-- South Suburbs, Alsip

Leo's Beef-- South Suburbs, Alsip
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Leo's Beef-- South Suburbs, Alsip

Post #1 - December 5th, 2005, 8:29 pm
    Post #1 - December 5th, 2005, 8:29 pm Post #1 - December 5th, 2005, 8:29 pm
    Since I am new to this site, I thought I would introduce myself and a burger I had this evening...

A new place opened, in Alsip, near my home called Leo's Beef. What drew me to this place was the sign out front proclaiming themselves the Best Burger in Chicago. Apparently Fox News had awarded them the honor after it had beaten out two other places I have not heard of.

Basic hot dog, with the usual suspects. Nice steamed poppy seed bun. The dog itself had nice flavor, but no snap (typical of the south suburbs). Fries were bland.

The burger was a quarter pounder. "Everything" was grilled onions, mustard, ketchup and pickles. The meat seemed fresh and had a distinct oniony flavor.

The "star" of the show.

Menu:

Inside the menu:

After speaking with the guy who took my order, they have only been open at this location for a few months. However, the original location is at 1135 W. 51st.

The burger definitely warrants a trip if you live nearby; however I would pass on a further trip.

Leo's Beef
    11921 S. Cicero
    Alsip, IL
    708-388-7377
  • Post #2 - December 6th, 2005, 2:42 pm
    Post #2 - December 6th, 2005, 2:42 pm Post #2 - December 6th, 2005, 2:42 pm
    I was amazed to see that Leo's was still around. Had many a burger at the original spot on 51st street (my old neighborhood). Unfortunately I couldn't read the menu - is there a mother-in-law on it? If there is you must try one with a side of fries (great for dipping).
  • Post #3 - December 6th, 2005, 8:54 pm
    Post #3 - December 6th, 2005, 8:54 pm Post #3 - December 6th, 2005, 8:54 pm
    yourbar wrote:Since I am new to this site, I thought I would introduce myself and a burger I had this evening...

Nice to meet you and the burger. Thanks for mentioning Leo’s, it looks like an excellent burger especially at that price.

Barnew wrote:I was amazed to see that Leo's was still around. Had many a burger at the original spot on 51st street (my old neighborhood). Unfortunately I couldn't read the menu - is there a mother-in-law on it?

I’m a little confused here. I thought Leo’s Beef was new. Maybe you’re thinking of Leo’s Castle (1724 W 51st, west of Ashland)? That place was around at least as far back as the 1950s but I think it’s now closed.

I was able to read the menu and didn’t see a Mother in Law. Those things—at least by that name—are getting quite scarce these days. Any other places you know that serve(d) them?
  • Post #4 - December 6th, 2005, 8:55 pm
    Post #4 - December 6th, 2005, 8:55 pm Post #4 - December 6th, 2005, 8:55 pm
    Barnew wrote:Unfortunately I couldn't read the menu - is there a mother-in-law on it? If there is you must try one with a side of fries (great for dipping).

Actually, yes, the mother-in-law is on the menu. It's on the back, which I didn't photograph. I'll pick one up next time. I'm also curious about the Italian Beef. I guess they use choice beef. We'll see.
  • Post #5 - December 7th, 2005, 12:04 pm
    Post #5 - December 7th, 2005, 12:04 pm Post #5 - December 7th, 2005, 12:04 pm
    ReneG I stand corrected, I did mean Leo's Castle, by the way their Mother In Law was served in a cardboard boat without bun using a Tom Tom Tamale. Would love to have one now!!
  • Post #6 - December 7th, 2005, 7:06 pm
    Post #6 - December 7th, 2005, 7:06 pm Post #6 - December 7th, 2005, 7:06 pm
    yourbar wrote:Actually, yes, the mother-in-law is on the menu.

That’s very interesting. Nice to see some newer places carrying on the old South Side traditions. It’s just a little hobby of mine, searching for places that serve the Mother in Law. You can be sure that one of these days I’ll visit Leo’s Beef. Thanks again.

Barnew wrote:I did mean Leo's Castle, by the way their Mother In Law was served in a cardboard boat without bun using a Tom Tom Tamale.

Thanks for the additional info. I think that presentation of the bunless Mother in Law used to be common before the Styrofoam cup took over. There are still a few places serving it that way and sometimes it’s called a Tamale Boat (or is that only a North Side term?).
  • Post #7 - December 7th, 2005, 8:50 pm
    Post #7 - December 7th, 2005, 8:50 pm Post #7 - December 7th, 2005, 8:50 pm
    Hmmm...
    The place on 51st rocked...loved how the buns soaked up the grease before getting crisp. Also I loved the owners' vanity 45 on display behind the counter and on the juke box..."All Greek Dancing with Leo G. Roupas".
    Authorized time shifting let the genie out of the bottle....
  • Post #8 - December 15th, 2005, 6:02 pm
    Post #8 - December 15th, 2005, 6:02 pm Post #8 - December 15th, 2005, 6:02 pm
    Barnew wrote:I was amazed to see that Leo's was still around. Had many a burger at the original spot on 51st street (my old neighborhood). Unfortunately I couldn't read the menu - is there a mother-in-law on it? If there is you must try one with a side of fries (great for dipping).

Rene G wrote:I’m a little confused here. I thought Leo’s Beef was new. Maybe you’re thinking of Leo’s Castle (1724 W 51st, west of Ashland)? That place was around at least as far back as the 1950s but I think it’s now closed.

delk wrote:The place on 51st rocked...loved how the buns soaked up the grease before getting crisp. Also I loved the owners' vanity 45 on display behind the counter and on the juke box..."All Greek Dancing with Leo G. Roupas".

Sorry, I was wrong. Leo’s Castle is still in business. I wonder if it might have new owners though. No Mother in Law, no juke box, but burgers sell for $1.25 each.

Leo’s Castle
    1724 W 51st St
    Chicago
    Mon-Sat 10am-6pm

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide