Chicago Style Pizza?

Chicago Style Pizza?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Chicago Style Pizza?

Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 11:07 pm
    Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 11:07 pm Post #1 - January 7th, 2019, 11:07 pm
    No. I’m not trying to start a fight. :)

For years I have been ordering Sausage and Cheese. To me this was always the great combination.

Started by ordering it on thin crust in the ‘60, then pan, stuffed, deep dish...

Then around 20 years ago I was working downtown and for a staff lunch from Rosati’s, amongst the variety was a...

Italian Beef and Giardiniera pizza

I was awestruck. What a great idea!

I still ordered sausage and cheese but from time to time I would order this or a Supreme (sausage, onion, green pepper, mushroom).

Just last Friday we were at a local and somewhat new pizza place and lo and behold one of their combinations was titled (each pizza had a catchy name) The Chi-Town. Yup, Italian Beef and Giardiniera.

Thinking about it and I decided the catchy name was appropriate. Two items made famous here. Thinking about the other combinations, none uniquely said Chicago.

That’s all. :)
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #2 - January 7th, 2019, 11:15 pm
    Post #2 - January 7th, 2019, 11:15 pm Post #2 - January 7th, 2019, 11:15 pm
    Rosati's Pizza
    1013 Madison St, Oak Park

... and many locations around Chicago.

District Kitchen & Tap
    220 Harrison St, Oak Park

C2D9A6BC-6859-4F2B-A507-378909CCC435.jpeg

... and their other locations.
  • Post #3 - January 7th, 2019, 11:35 pm
    Post #3 - January 7th, 2019, 11:35 pm Post #3 - January 7th, 2019, 11:35 pm
    I think you're right that Sausage and Cheese is the traditional standard but I love Italian Beef and Hot Giardiniera when it's done right. It's been my go-to for years, especially at Vito & Nick's.

Here's shot from a visit back in the summer of 2017 . . .

Italian Beef and Hot Giardiniera from Vito & Nick's (partial, small)

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am
    Post #4 - January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am Post #4 - January 8th, 2019, 7:34 am
    Beef and giardinera is my go to ever since we noticed them as toppings at Pequods many moons ago.
  • Post #5 - January 8th, 2019, 9:13 am
    Post #5 - January 8th, 2019, 9:13 am Post #5 - January 8th, 2019, 9:13 am
    It looks like Chicago-style nachos.
  • Post #6 - January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am
    Post #6 - January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am Post #6 - January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am
    Another version that could be called "Chicago style pizza" is a hot dog pizza "dragged through the garden" with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt, on a poppy seed crust. And never never never with tomato sauce. :twisted:

And that's just to mimic one of our iconic foods. I'm sure others can come up with a "Chicago style pizza" that pays homage to other characteristics of our city, such as the winter weather, the corruption, the sports teams, and on and on.
  • Post #7 - January 8th, 2019, 10:00 am
    Post #7 - January 8th, 2019, 10:00 am Post #7 - January 8th, 2019, 10:00 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:No. I’m not trying to start a fight. :)

For years I have been ordering Sausage and Cheese. To me this was always the great combination.

my pet peeve is people who order anything "and cheese" on their pizza. My hope is that someone gives you a pizza with no sauce or crust when you do that. Afterall, you didn't ask for sauce or crust when you made your order. I know that shouldn't upset me, but it absolutely drives me nuts. Like nails on a chalkboard.
  • Post #8 - January 8th, 2019, 10:19 am
    Post #8 - January 8th, 2019, 10:19 am Post #8 - January 8th, 2019, 10:19 am
    Anichini Bros sausage + giardinera is the gold standard for pizza toppings in my opinion. Italian beef doesn't seem to survive the oven baking process as well but can be sublime under the right conditions.
  • Post #9 - January 8th, 2019, 11:09 am
    Post #9 - January 8th, 2019, 11:09 am Post #9 - January 8th, 2019, 11:09 am
    shakes wrote:my pet peeve is people who order anything "and cheese" on their pizza. My hope is that someone gives you a pizza with no sauce or crust when you do that. Afterall, you didn't ask for sauce or crust when you made your order. I know that shouldn't upset me, but it absolutely drives me nuts. Like nails on a chalkboard.

So when a customer orders plain cheese, do they just say the size? There's no way to avoid redundancy there under your zero tolerance model. Many menus are structured as "[Form of] Crust Cheese Pizza" with additional toppings just added to it. When ordering carry-out, I don't know about you, but strictly from the menu verbatim is a pretty good strategy.

I embrace the "cheese and [toppings]" form of phone ordering. It sounds like you're ordering something better and more plentiful than without including "cheese". If you're sitting at the table speaking with a server, then yes, it would be more of a jerk move. No need to be so transactional in that situation.
  • Post #10 - January 8th, 2019, 11:23 am
    Post #10 - January 8th, 2019, 11:23 am Post #10 - January 8th, 2019, 11:23 am
    bweiny wrote:
    shakes wrote:my pet peeve is people who order anything "and cheese" on their pizza. My hope is that someone gives you a pizza with no sauce or crust when you do that. Afterall, you didn't ask for sauce or crust when you made your order. I know that shouldn't upset me, but it absolutely drives me nuts. Like nails on a chalkboard.

So when a customer orders plain cheese, do they just say the size? There's no way to avoid redundancy there under your zero tolerance model. Many menus are structured as "[Form of] Crust Cheese Pizza" with additional toppings just added to it. When ordering carry-out, I don't know about you, but strictly from the menu verbatim is a pretty good strategy.

I embrace the "cheese and [toppings]" form of phone ordering. It sounds like you're ordering something better and more plentiful than without including "cheese". If you're sitting at the table speaking with a server, then yes, it would be more of a jerk move. No need to be so transactional in that situation.

if you're ordering a plain pizza you can say cheese, but if you get any toppings you need to omit the word cheese from the order or else risk a smart ass like me on the other end of the phone following up by asking you if you also want sauce and crust. I used to say that all the time to customers back in my pizza delivery days many decades ago.
  • Post #11 - January 8th, 2019, 11:57 am
    Post #11 - January 8th, 2019, 11:57 am Post #11 - January 8th, 2019, 11:57 am
    The Chicago Bears pizza with the sausage hanging over the edge.
  • Post #12 - January 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm
    Post #12 - January 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm Post #12 - January 8th, 2019, 12:05 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:Another version that could be called "Chicago style pizza" is a hot dog pizza "dragged through the garden" with yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt, on a poppy seed crust. And never never never with tomato sauce. :twisted:

And that's just to mimic one of our iconic foods. I'm sure others can come up with a "Chicago style pizza" that pays homage to other characteristics of our city, such as the winter weather, the corruption, the sports teams, and on and on.

Have you ever ordered a Hotdog pizza or was this in jest. :)

I have tried several 'alternative' pizzas over the years...

A while ago when Q's BBQ had a pizza oven...

Hotlink and BBQ sauce pizza Could of worked but much restraint has to be used as the tangy BBQ sauce overpowered.

Just recently at Monica's Mexican Restaurant (LTH North lunch outing) that also still has a pizza oven...

Chorizo, Steak and Jalapeños pizza in addition to the regular pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese. This was very tasty and I would order it again in a heartbeat.

Some of the other, more common odd,
    Pineapple and Ham
    Chicken with White Sauce

Sometimes they work, sometimes not. :)
  • Post #13 - January 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm
    Post #13 - January 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm Post #13 - January 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm
    To me, Chicago style pizza is a D'Amato's corner slice with sausage, onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Crunchy brown crust, airy dough, the way the light serving of cheese kind of melts into the bread, just perfection. Not to mention, the cheap price! It's one of the things I miss the most when I'm out of town.
  • Post #14 - January 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm
    Post #14 - January 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm Post #14 - January 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm
    BB8223AE-39F8-4102-9198-B767A337EAF5.jpeg Italian beef and hot giardiniera
    Well done

Vito & Nick's Pizzeria
    8433 S Pulaski Rd, Chicago

Oh, so good!
  • Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 5:58 pm
    Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 5:58 pm Post #15 - January 12th, 2019, 5:58 pm
    In its older incarnation, The Candlelight featured an Italian beef pizza. Back then, they made an ultra thin crust pie (you could almost see through the crust). I think they were in competition with Buckets o Suds for the thinnest crust "tavern style" pizza in town. The beef pizza was covered edge to edge with whole slices of IB (made in house). The pizza was delicious, but the solid beef covering made it look like an unappetizing brownish gray mess. Still, I often wondered why Italian beef was not a more popular topping in Chicago, especially since many places that sell pizzas also make beefs.
  • Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm Post #16 - January 12th, 2019, 6:51 pm
    I'd say sausage, mushroom, onion and green pepper is my 'classic.' You sometimes see it deliciously called SMOG.

I've never had Italian beef pizza. My concern has always been that the beef would be lost with the tomato and cheese plus the usual giardiniera and bread/crust (Chicken pizzas, too). I'll bet it's good at Vito & Nicks, though.
  • Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 6:54 pm
    Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 6:54 pm Post #17 - January 12th, 2019, 6:54 pm
    BrendanR wrote:I'd say sausage, mushroom, onion and green pepper is my 'classic.' You sometimes see it deliciously called SMOG.

That’s very popular and often named The Supreme.

That combination has been around as long as I remember.
  • Post #18 - January 13th, 2019, 11:38 am
    Post #18 - January 13th, 2019, 11:38 am Post #18 - January 13th, 2019, 11:38 am
    I've had the beef and sausage with giardiniera pizza at Vito and Nick's years ago. Didn't work for me.
  • Post #19 - January 13th, 2019, 11:57 am
    Post #19 - January 13th, 2019, 11:57 am Post #19 - January 13th, 2019, 11:57 am
    Based on how many local places offer it as a default combination, I think sausage, mushroom, onion & green pepper is definitely a Chicago thing but in general, I'm not a fan. Unless they're handled exceptionally well, these vegetables leech of lot of moisture into the pizza when they cook, diluting its flavor and soggifying the entire affair.

The few places where I order vegetables on my pizza are places I know cook them first and/or slice them very thin, both of which reduce their negative effects on the pizza. And even then, I generally stick to one vegetable (usually onion or jalapeno) per pizza.

Three vegetables and one meat on a pizza?! Now, that's just silly. After all, it's not a salad! :P

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #20 - January 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm
    Post #20 - January 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm Post #20 - January 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm
    BrendanR wrote:I'd say sausage, mushroom, onion and green pepper is my 'classic.' You sometimes see it deliciously called SMOG.

I've never had Italian beef pizza. My concern has always been that the beef would be lost with the tomato and cheese plus the usual giardiniera and bread/crust (Chicken pizzas, too). I'll bet it's good at Vito & Nicks, though.

Yeah, at Vito & Nicks, we always get one Italian beef & giard pizza (which works far better than I ever thought it would) and one classic Chicago combo (sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, onions.) I haven't heard it called SMOG around here; usually it's just called a "[insert name of pizza joint] special," though some local places have cute names for it. At Pizza Castle, it's a "King Arthur," for example. As ronniesuburban mentions, though, it depends on the pizza place whether I order the special or not. Some places it's just too heavy and too wet for the crust, so I'll go for plain sausage or sausage and mushroom at those places. At Vito & Nicks, though, they seem to do a fine job with those ingredients without making the pizza a big floppy mess.

To me, either a plain sausage or the "special" combo of sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, and onions are the quintessential Chicago toppings. Beef and giard feels a bit more "specialty" to me, for whatever reason.
  • Post #21 - January 14th, 2019, 8:25 am
    Post #21 - January 14th, 2019, 8:25 am Post #21 - January 14th, 2019, 8:25 am
    Sausage, mushroom, onion and green pepper

This would be considered a specialty pizza where I might bet that most of the pizzas sold are either plain cheese or cheese and sausage. Pepperoni would possibly complete the top 3.

Beef and giardiniera is even further down the chain in popularity.
  • Post #22 - January 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
    Post #22 - January 14th, 2019, 8:37 am Post #22 - January 14th, 2019, 8:37 am
    Binko wrote:Some places it's just too heavy and too wet for the crust, so I'll go for plain sausage or sausage and mushroom at those places. At Vito & Nicks, though, they seem to do a fine job with those ingredients without making the pizza a big floppy mess.

I have also seen a wet crust at most places trying to do SMOG. A local exception is...

Geppetto's Pizza & Pasta
    113 N Oak Park Ave, Oak Park

... where they manage to make...

The Monster (3 meat, 4 veg)
    Italian sausage, ham, pepperoni
    Mushrooms, onions, green peppers and black olives

... and keep the crust crispy. Time and temp? Our favorite from there.

I have noticed it is off of their menus but still can be found on a Google search.

I am sure that ordering a pizza well done would help. This also has become my default when ordering thin crust to help insure a 'cracker' crust.
  • Post #23 - January 14th, 2019, 8:50 am
    Post #23 - January 14th, 2019, 8:50 am Post #23 - January 14th, 2019, 8:50 am
    The first time I was at Zaffiro's on Farwell in Milwaukee, I asked the bartender what to order. He said sausage (homemade) and pepperoni. After getting my pie, I fully understood. This is a beautiful thin crusted pizza. The water that veggies emit would be a horror on this pizza. If you get a chance, go there and get this. You will be real happy.
  • Post #24 - January 14th, 2019, 9:31 am
    Post #24 - January 14th, 2019, 9:31 am Post #24 - January 14th, 2019, 9:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Based on how many local places offer it as a default combination, I think sausage, mushroom, onion & green pepper is definitely a Chicago thing but in general, I'm not a fan. Unless they're handled exceptionally well, these vegetables leech of lot of moisture into the pizza when they cook, diluting its flavor and soggifying the entire affair.

The few places where I order vegetables on my pizza are places I know cook them first and/or slice them very thin, both of which reduce their negative effects on the pizza. And even then, I generally stick to one vegetable (usually onion or jalapeno) per pizza.

=R=

Completely agree on this. If you aren't going to pre-cook the vegetables, you shouldn't offer them as a topping. It should be against the law :lol: .

Raw, high water content vegetables will only result in a wet, terrible pizza. IMO, this is fundamental. If a restaurant is going to focus on one dish, as most Chicago pizza joints do, how can you be so lazy to omit this step on your pizza?
  • Post #25 - January 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
    Post #25 - January 14th, 2019, 9:42 am Post #25 - January 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
    I'd somehow completely missed the Italian Beef and Giard. pizza. Is the beef not overcooked to hardness during the baking process? Or, is "crispy Italian Beef" a delicacy I've been missing all these years?
  • Post #26 - January 14th, 2019, 11:03 am
    Post #26 - January 14th, 2019, 11:03 am Post #26 - January 14th, 2019, 11:03 am
    Puckjam wrote:The first time I was at Zaffiro's on Farwell in Milwaukee, I asked the bartender what to order. He said sausage (homemade) and pepperoni. After getting my pie, I fully understood. This is a beautiful thin crusted pizza. The water that veggies emit would be a horror on this pizza. If you get a chance, go there and get this. You will be real happy.

Yeah, Zaffiro's is definitely a place where a heavily-ladened (and wet) pie would be much too much for the crust. That's a truly thin and crackery pizza.
  • Post #27 - January 14th, 2019, 11:06 am
    Post #27 - January 14th, 2019, 11:06 am Post #27 - January 14th, 2019, 11:06 am
    chicagojim wrote:I'd somehow completely missed the Italian Beef and Giard. pizza. Is the beef not overcooked to hardness during the baking process?

You know, that is what I would have thought, but, no, I've never had any textural issues with it. Mind you, I only get it at V&N's (sometimes with sausage in the mix, too, for a pizza version of an Italian beef combo), but it's thin enough that it doesn't feel rubbery or chewy.
  • Post #28 - January 14th, 2019, 11:21 am
    Post #28 - January 14th, 2019, 11:21 am Post #28 - January 14th, 2019, 11:21 am
    I have to agree on the amount of veggies with sausage on a pizza should be minimal. I only go with one veggie/sausage combo at a time. Sausage and onion is my go to but I do like a sausage and green pepper occasionally. Will also go sausage and mushroom but only if the shrooms are not of the canned variety.
  • Post #29 - January 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm
    Post #29 - January 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm Post #29 - January 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm
    metro man wrote:I have to agree on the amount of veggies with sausage on a pizza should be minimal. I only go with one veggie/sausage combo at a time. Sausage and onion is my go to but I do like a sausage and green pepper occasionally. Will also go sausage and mushroom but only if the shrooms are not of the canned variety.

I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but when I go to Villa Nova in Stickney, they actually give you a choice of fresh or canned mushrooms, no difference in price. I choose canned for some reason. That's the only time I could stand those damned things.
  • Post #30 - January 14th, 2019, 6:16 pm
    Post #30 - January 14th, 2019, 6:16 pm Post #30 - January 14th, 2019, 6:16 pm
    Binko wrote:I don't know if it's nostalgia or what, but when I go to Villa Nova in Stickney, they actually give you a choice of fresh or canned mushrooms, no difference in price. I choose canned for some reason. That's the only time I could stand those damned things.

I’ve been known to order 1/2 mushroom and 1/2 mushroom there. :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more