LTH Home

Childhood pizza memories

Childhood pizza memories
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Childhood pizza memories

Post #1 - March 24th, 2005, 5:02 pm
    Post #1 - March 24th, 2005, 5:02 pm Post #1 - March 24th, 2005, 5:02 pm
    I know there are a few children who don't like pizza(maybe it's lactose intolerance), but the two, childhood and pizza, at least in my sheltered world, went hand in hand.

Barnaby's: was on the south side, but part of a chain, I believe, one location still northwest somewhere. I loved the pizza there and the ambiance: dark and rustic with lots of brown. This was an alternative to a Sunday birthday celebration at:

Vito & Nick's (south Pulaski location): I just love the fact that my parents used to go on dates there and that some of the same wait staff, I think, still works there. Plus, my grandparents only lived blocks away from it until the late 80's.

Tombstone: frozen cooked behind a bar in Galena, IL. Kids allowed. The adults pretty much dropped us off here and went shopping. They had a bowling machine that had the puck-like ball that you slid down the lane.

Pizza Sundays(every week): my dad's not-so-good soggy thin crust, but it was make
    your own 1/2 of a cookie sheet, and included pop(after one glass of milk). Eaten in front of the tv(usually not allowed) to watch the Mutual of Omaha nature show and the weekly Disney special.

Fox's Orland Park: moved out to the 'burbs eventually and would carry out and eat in. Always a treat(and still is). Several of our high school play after parties took place in their basement party room.

Today my niece will only eat frozen Jack's pizza(her absolute favorite, and requested birthday dinner choice), Nick & Vito's, and Fox's. Two out of three ain't bad for a 7-year old.

Anyone else?
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #2 - March 24th, 2005, 5:24 pm
    Post #2 - March 24th, 2005, 5:24 pm Post #2 - March 24th, 2005, 5:24 pm
    I remember my first pizza... Growing up in Singapore, my first pizza was the seafood pizza from Pizza Hut. Squid, shrimp, surimi, corn, cheese and mayo on a pan pizza. This pizza is still on the menus, IIRC. Back then, the only places I recall having pizza is Pizza Hut and Chuckee (sp?) Cheese.

In fact I believe I had my first American pizza at Disneyworld, along with my first brownie (hated it!)

The funkiest one I have ever had was wasabi mayo seafood pizza with mayo and okonomiyaki sauce...
  • Post #3 - March 24th, 2005, 5:28 pm
    Post #3 - March 24th, 2005, 5:28 pm Post #3 - March 24th, 2005, 5:28 pm
    CrazyC wrote:The funkiest one I have ever had was wasabi mayo seafood pizza with mayo and okonomiyaki sauce...

Aw, damn you. Dinner is still three or four hours away. ;)

Erik M.
  • Post #4 - March 24th, 2005, 6:52 pm
    Post #4 - March 24th, 2005, 6:52 pm Post #4 - March 24th, 2005, 6:52 pm
    CrazyC wrote:seafood pizza from Pizza Hut. Squid, shrimp, surimi, corn, cheese and mayo on a pan pizza

The question is, was it your last?

Do you mean baby corn or the kernels? Either way, I'd prolly try it.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #5 - March 24th, 2005, 7:21 pm
    Post #5 - March 24th, 2005, 7:21 pm Post #5 - March 24th, 2005, 7:21 pm
    It was kernels, like the frozen ones... Actually, it wasn't bad. But then I grew up eating stuff like that. My evening snack was always a bun, and if I was REALLY lucky, I got the corn, mayo, bacon bits one.... =) Otherwise it was the cheese one with sugar on top... ;)

I actually have a pic of the cheese and sugar one. That was my first breakfast when I went home in Feb. I woke up, staggered to the living room, and there it was on the table. I had to take a bite before I could take the photo... My mom knows me so well... ;)
  • Post #6 - March 24th, 2005, 7:34 pm
    Post #6 - March 24th, 2005, 7:34 pm Post #6 - March 24th, 2005, 7:34 pm
    My earliest pizza memories are going out with my parents for pizza in Lawrence, KS. My brother and I split one. I always had onion on my half, I then covered it with red peppers, and then hot taco sauce. I think he had mushrooms or pepperoni. I was and still am an onion freak. I love onions. This pizza was a thin crust but not overly crisp. I didn't pay enough attention at age 9 to write an LTH review. :)

My wife has been eating BBQ sauce on pizza since her college days in the early 70's at Ball State University.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #7 - March 25th, 2005, 9:57 am
    Post #7 - March 25th, 2005, 9:57 am Post #7 - March 25th, 2005, 9:57 am
    When I was growing up, pizza only came in one flavor -- thin crust sausage and cheese. We kids never knew there was a whole world full of other toppings, because that was what my dad liked. Interestingly enough, he now prefers vegetarian combinations to the sausage and cheese of my childhood.

I remember being taken to Shakey's Pizza in Cal City on a regular basis. Nothing terribly great about the pizza stands out in my mind, but they had a sing-a-long during the dinner hour that my brothers loved. We actually drove out from the city on many a Saturday to shop at River Oaks, followed by dinner at Shakey's.

I also hung out at Barnaby's in Rogers Park when I was in high school. My best friend lived nearby and it was a favorite hang-out place of hers. Again, the pizza wasn't anything special, we were there to socialize.
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #8 - March 25th, 2005, 12:28 pm
    Post #8 - March 25th, 2005, 12:28 pm Post #8 - March 25th, 2005, 12:28 pm
    We also visited Shakey's for the entertainment.

The bigger deal for us, for entertainment if not pizza, was Sally's Stage. The location we visited--do not know if there were more than one--included an organ that rose out of the floor from the days when the building had actually been a movie theater and a riding bull.

Spent my early years in La Grange Park, where I attended Catholic school with the grandchildren of Mama Barone. We sometimes got free pizza after school if in the proper company.

TJS
  • Post #9 - March 25th, 2005, 2:05 pm
    Post #9 - March 25th, 2005, 2:05 pm Post #9 - March 25th, 2005, 2:05 pm
    We would often go to Laurie's Pizza on Broadway & Foster back in the days when it took up the entire building and had a fleet of some 40-something Jeeps delivering pizza all over the North Side.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #10 - March 26th, 2005, 9:55 am
    Post #10 - March 26th, 2005, 9:55 am Post #10 - March 26th, 2005, 9:55 am
    Everyone knows how I like to remember the good ol days so I am always happy to see a thread like this one.

Growing up on the NW side in the 60's presented itself with a great many pizza ops. But since we where kids , our parents where literally in the drivers eat and decided where to eat. (sidebar-even though we didnt know it, we where a fairly poor family. this is illustrated by the fact that we NEVER would pay to have a pizza delivered. We would either walk to pick it up or dad would drive)

Friday night was Pizza Night aka Party Night in our house. As a reward for taking a bath and getting into our PJ's by 7 o clock Mom would make a Johns Frozen Pizza bought at the Jewel at Lawrence & Austin. I think they where 3 for a dollar at the time. My brother and I would have our pizza and Pik-Nik shoestring potatoes and soda as we watched That Girl on TV until about 9 o clock. Then my dad would turn on the magic "converter" on top of our B&W TV so we could watch channel 26. They would either have bullfights from mexico or Wrestling. (I was a Dick the brusier fan, little bro liked The Crusher. Dad liked The Angel)

On very special occasions we would order a take out pizza for pickup. Our go to list included the following places:

Marsi's Pizza -Gunnison & Nagle - Marsi cooked in the front window for all to see. Cracker thin crust and heaps of real cheese shredded by his wife in the kitchen.

Double Z on Montrose near Austin - Very close to Marsi's and his arch rival. I think the place still exists as Pete's

Once in a great while if my dad worked late he would stop at either Father & Son or Maries on Lawrence Ave. These where always a step above the 2 local choices. I just recently revisted Maries with my wife and teenage daughter. Not much has changed included the sometimes lack of service.
    The pizza is still great as noted elsewhere on LTH.

As mentioned by others the only options we would be offered were Sausage, Cheese (in lent) or if we really wanted to cut loose, Half & Half!!! I dont recall any of these places offering any crust other than thin in my childhood.

Thanks for the memories
    Bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    http://www.maxwellstreetmarket.com
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #11 - March 26th, 2005, 2:09 pm
    Post #11 - March 26th, 2005, 2:09 pm Post #11 - March 26th, 2005, 2:09 pm
    Not a childhood memory, but a teen age one, In 1948 (when many of you reading this hadn't been born) I had never heard of pizza, and neither had anyone I knew, but then a Hyde Park restaurant at 56th and Lake Park with, for some reason, 2 names: Phil's Italian Restaurant Ken and Jock's, had a sign in the window that read "Pizza Pie." I thought, at first that it was a cutesy way of saying "piece of pie" until I friend took me there and I learned my error, and some knowledge of Italian pronunciation, and also became addicted to pizza. I think their toppings included sausage, pepperoni and anchovies. Another place I remember from about the same time the was Yacht Club, an unprepossessing looking bar on Wabash between Congress and Van Buren. One of the best pizzas there was pizza marinara--cheese and a very garlicy tomato sausce. Both places are long gone.
  • Post #12 - March 26th, 2005, 5:20 pm
    Post #12 - March 26th, 2005, 5:20 pm Post #12 - March 26th, 2005, 5:20 pm
    Bob, your imagery reminded me of something I had almost forgotten. When I first arrived in Chicago, I knew that I was in a real city when I saw someone hoofing it down the street with a pizza. I don't know why, but I saw it, and continue to see it, as something that sums up urbanity. And something about it cracks me up, ever since I saw a pie go cheese-side-down on the pavement.

I mean, even in highly cosmopolitan, densely populated and sophisticated places such as South Florida and Southern California (to name two examples with which I am familiar) you (1) don't see too many people walking down the street (unless they are in an illicit trade) and (2) pizza gets delivered. It takes a seriously high level of street-corner culture to see people walking down the sidewalk with pizzas. I continue to see it and I do it myself from time to time.

The only other places I've seen it are in Italy, Philly and in NYC.
  • Post #13 - March 26th, 2005, 5:52 pm
    Post #13 - March 26th, 2005, 5:52 pm Post #13 - March 26th, 2005, 5:52 pm
    My parents used to go to a place called "Stone Cottage" in Elmhurst when they were dating, I believe it was right off of 83? They claim they took my brother and I there when we were young as well, but I have no memory of this. (Stone Cottage is now a mediocre barbecue place, or at least it was a couple years ago - the last time I was in the area.)

So, without an actual memory of that, I'd have to say that growing up in the '80s, pizza meant one thing to me - Showbiz. (Back before they all became Chucky Cheese's.)

Come to think of it, the pizza was the last of my concern when going there - the bright lights, random noises, and various games were a hyperactive child's dream. I always had a distrust of people in large costumes and would avoid the costumed employees like the plague, but that didn't stop me from loving the place.

Aside from that, my only other real pizza memories of my childhood are of Rocky Rococos (blech.) and Home Run Inn (which I still like.)
    -Pete
  • Post #14 - March 26th, 2005, 11:21 pm
    Post #14 - March 26th, 2005, 11:21 pm Post #14 - March 26th, 2005, 11:21 pm
    As a child, pizza at home was usually "Appian Way" pizza crust and sauce from a box, topped with (a) ground beef, (b) kosher salami or (c) hot dogs.

The only delivery/takeout was Mama D's, which we found only slightly preferable to the box it came in.

Eating out was occasionally Gulliver's (at Milwaukee and Dempster, now a furniture store), and on rare occasions into the city, Due's (Uno's was usually too crowded). For some reason, Gino's East was spurned -- I can't for the life of me think of why. Malnati's was a rare occasion.

So I was definitely left with a childhood preference for thick.

Ah -- left one out: really bad 'za at Wrigley Field.
    Hmm... can't forget some Green Giant toaster pizza thing. Well, I guess I can forget it, because the name of the product completely escapes me.
  • Post #15 - March 29th, 2005, 11:44 am
    Post #15 - March 29th, 2005, 11:44 am Post #15 - March 29th, 2005, 11:44 am
    I forgot about the John's pizzas. They came in single size, three to a box and my mother always had several boxes stashed in the freezer. I think my now nearly vegan brother lived on them (along with hot dogs and cans of corned beef hash) during high school.

My own children love Arrenello's pizza (stuffed with sausage, mushrooms and garlic) in Glenwood or the original Aurelio's, which is two blocks from my house. I frequently order before leaving the office and stop to pick up dinner on the way home if it is pizza night. We try to save those occasions for the nights when one of the kids has a concert or such at school and we need to eat quickly and get out of the house.

I worked at two different pizza places, Alexander the Great, which was in Glenwood Plaza, and Lou Malnati's, which was in Flossmoor Commons. Both are gone now.
    " There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
    - Frank Zappa
  • Post #16 - March 29th, 2005, 12:00 pm
    Post #16 - March 29th, 2005, 12:00 pm Post #16 - March 29th, 2005, 12:00 pm
    I grew up on Cesars pizza out of Forest Park back in the 60's..my first taste of deep dish was Slicker Sams in Melrose Park
  • Post #17 - March 29th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Post #17 - March 29th, 2005, 1:00 pm Post #17 - March 29th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Bruce wrote:My earliest pizza memories are going out with my parents for pizza in Lawrence, KS. My brother and I split one. I always had onion on my half, I then covered it with red peppers, and then hot taco sauce.

When I went to college in Lawrence this is how I ate my pizza, too. Looking back on it, the pizza was really nothing special. But, after a night of drinking, it was the most amazingly awesome ohmygawg pizza the in freakin' world, particularly when we could order five of them for twenty bucks or so.

Seriously, though, I grew up in St. Louis where the pizza is thin and crispy. The most remarkably wonderful thing about pizza in St. Louis, IMHO, is provel cheese. It's indigenous to the city and it's a processed combination of cheddar, swiss and provolone. It comes out of the oven orange and creamy, almost having the consistency of mayonnaise. Maybe it's an acquired taste - not sure since it's what I was raised on. Going home and ordering a pie about 11:30 in the evening brings back wonderful cheesy and gooey memories of growing up.

Try some provel for yourself: http://foodcraver.com/stlouisstylp1.html
    Warning: Minimum $30 order at this website
    Did you know there is an LTHforum Flickr group? I just found it...
  • Post #18 - April 8th, 2005, 2:08 pm
    Post #18 - April 8th, 2005, 2:08 pm Post #18 - April 8th, 2005, 2:08 pm
    Pete...I used to frequent Stone Cottage when I was in high school. Their pizza was indeed very good. One of those places where they brought it to you in the deep black pan right out of the oven. It is/was on North Ave. just a few doors east of 83.

ChgoMike...I lived in STL for about 5 years and as much as I loved it there, Provel was something I just could not handle. I think you're right. It really is a STL thing. While we were there my main pizza provider was Papa John's or Uno's.

Bob...Ah, the classic days of Channel 26. Were you a Svengooli fan as well?

JoelF...Were you thinking of Butoni toaster pizzas?

My family always used to go to Jake's on Devon in Elk Grove Village. I used to think that place was great because they would bring you a big basket of peanuts while you were waiting for your pizza and you could throw the shells on the floor. To top it all off, there was a Dairy Queen right next door. Pure heaven.
  • Post #19 - April 8th, 2005, 4:27 pm
    Post #19 - April 8th, 2005, 4:27 pm Post #19 - April 8th, 2005, 4:27 pm
    Kwe,

I was first exposed to Provel cheese in Kansas City at a neighborhood Italian restaurant that a friend took me to. I saw it listed as an ingredient on many dishes on the menu. Attempting to be the urban sophisticate, I didn't ask about this cheese, instead assuming that it was local slang for provolone. Boy, was I surprised when my dinner came (and not in a good way). Evidently, Provel "cheese" has spread outside of the St. Louis area.

Jake's on Devon brings back memories for me as well, although not necessarily from childhood. I worked in Elk Grove Village for a while and Jake's was the office "go to" pizza joint for thin crust (Malnatti's on Oakton for thick). I remember Jake's as being better than average, yet not outstanding, thin crust. I never had the pleasure of dining there and throwing peanut shells because we always got it delivered to the office.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #20 - April 8th, 2005, 5:51 pm
    Post #20 - April 8th, 2005, 5:51 pm Post #20 - April 8th, 2005, 5:51 pm
    Hi,

In the midst of my memory, I recall watching a man at a window forming and throwing a pizza. Where I am, I have no idea but I recall this image vividly.

More concretely, I fondly remember our trip to Expo'67 where we were introduced to Montreal's Dressed Pizza. In my research for this post, my memories clash with the definition of a Montreal classic 'All Dressed' pizza consisting of pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers. I distinctly remember tomato slices, onion slices, olives and sausage in addition to the pepperoni, mushrooms and peppers. Until this day, I considered All Dressed pizzas as having every topping possible but the kitchen sink.

My Mother and her brother's access to pizza in the early 1950's was via Apian Way pizza mix. When we moved back to Chicago in the late 1960's, we bought a few Apian Ways to revisit her memories. Where the biscuit-type crust was quite acceptable to her earlier memories, it didn't quite cut it later. Once we finished those mixes, we never bought them again. (Though I might buy one just to entertain my nieces!)

My youngest sister is charmed by Spinach Pizzas. Until recently, the only place in her book was Edwardo's. This changed when we purchased a Spinach pizza at Viccino's in Highland Park for lunch and had Edwardo's for dinner in Wheeling. This comparison in relatively short period revealed Viccino's as the new preferred source.

Sometimes somethings taste better in memories than when revisited in the cold truth of what-is today.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #21 - April 8th, 2005, 9:03 pm
    Post #21 - April 8th, 2005, 9:03 pm Post #21 - April 8th, 2005, 9:03 pm
    Kwe730 wrote:JoelF...Were you thinking of Butoni toaster pizzas?

My family always used to go to Jake's on Devon in Elk Grove Village. I used to think that place was great because they would bring you a big basket of peanuts while you were waiting for your pizza and you could throw the shells on the floor. To top it all off, there was a Dairy Queen right next door. Pure heaven.

It's possible it was Butoni, but my memory says it was a Green Giant product.

Jakes, on the other hand, I can't eat, because I worked for the one in Northbrook for three weeks and the smell of their sauce lingered in my clothes for weeks. Years later, at a bowling alley, I could detect the smell of their pizza coming through the door over the cigarette smoke.
    It's not that it's bad, just associated with bad memories of working too late, under 16, in less-than-white-collar conditions.
  • Post #22 - April 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm
    Post #22 - April 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm Post #22 - April 10th, 2005, 7:50 pm
    Kwe730 wrote:Bob...Ah, the classic days of Channel 26. Were you a Svengooli fan as well?

Berwynnnn?

Yup, big Jerry G Bishop fan. Rich Koz is quite alright too. When we got to stay up late it was Sven, or Creature Features or, do you remember Fractured Flickers , narrated by Hans Conried? They took silent movies and inserted word balloons.

Bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    http://www.maxwellstreetmarket.com
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #23 - April 10th, 2005, 8:24 pm
    Post #23 - April 10th, 2005, 8:24 pm Post #23 - April 10th, 2005, 8:24 pm
    bob kopczynski wrote:Fractured Flickers , narrated by Hans Conried? They took silent movies and inserted word balloons.

Bob

Loved Fractured Flickers (A Jay Ward production - same guys who did Rocky & Bullwinkle), but as I recall it was an all-new voiceover. I rememmber one episode where they were predicting outrageous things, including "long hair on men!" [This was before the Beatles, when the only "longhairs" were classical musicians.]
  • Post #24 - April 10th, 2005, 10:48 pm
    Post #24 - April 10th, 2005, 10:48 pm Post #24 - April 10th, 2005, 10:48 pm
    JoelF...I have a couple of friends that used to work in bakeries and still associate buttercream frosting with the same sort of conditions. They are possibly the only people I know who skip the frosting on their cake. Birthday cakes must have whipped cream on them.

bob and nr706...I remember a segment that aired as part of the regular Rocky and Bulllwinkel Show (along with Dudley Do-Right) that was called Fractured Fairytales and I think was narrated by Hans Conried. Fractured Flickers sounds familiar, but I don't remember the word balloon part. As for Sven and Creature Features, I don't think I missed a one.
  • Post #25 - April 11th, 2005, 7:09 am
    Post #25 - April 11th, 2005, 7:09 am Post #25 - April 11th, 2005, 7:09 am
    HI,

I loved Creature Features!

Creature Features wrote:Gruesome ghouls and grisly ghosts
    Wretched souls and cursed hosts
    Vampires bite and villains creep
    Demons scream and shadows sleep
    Blood runs cold in every man
    Fog rolls in and coffins slam
    Mortals quake and full moon rise
    Creatures haunt and terrorize

From the WGN website:

Get your creature features fix at "http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/ creature features" See the opening video, hear the opening audio, see the TV Guide ads!

57. For Jan- The "Creature Features" artwork and audio is available from www.moon-rays.com

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #26 - November 7th, 2005, 8:11 am
    Post #26 - November 7th, 2005, 8:11 am Post #26 - November 7th, 2005, 8:11 am
    Ahhh, memories....
    Appian Way box pizza, Kraft box pizza, John's Frozen pizza, Bill's Pizza (71st and Kedzie) while watching Creature Features, Papa's Pizza(67th and California) while watching Svengoolie, Barnaby's on 79th and Pulaski,
    yummmmm. Too bad so many of these places are closed.
  • Post #27 - November 7th, 2005, 12:00 pm
    Post #27 - November 7th, 2005, 12:00 pm Post #27 - November 7th, 2005, 12:00 pm
    Kwe730 wrote:bob and nr706...I remember a segment that aired as part of the regular Rocky and Bulllwinkel Show (along with Dudley Do-Right) that was called Fractured Fairytales and I think was narrated by Hans Conried. Fractured Flickers sounds familiar, but I don't remember the word balloon part. As for Sven and Creature Features, I don't think I missed a one.

Wasn't Fractured Fairytales Edward Everett Horton? I remember the first time I saw him in an old movie and was mildly shocked to hear that familiar voice come out of an actual face!

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #28 - November 7th, 2005, 12:15 pm
    Post #28 - November 7th, 2005, 12:15 pm Post #28 - November 7th, 2005, 12:15 pm
    Giovanna wrote:
    Kwe730 wrote:bob and nr706...I remember a segment that aired as part of the regular Rocky and Bulllwinkel Show (along with Dudley Do-Right) that was called Fractured Fairytales and I think was narrated by Hans Conried. Fractured Flickers sounds familiar, but I don't remember the word balloon part. As for Sven and Creature Features, I don't think I missed a one.

Wasn't Fractured Fairytales Edward Everett Horton? I remember the first time I saw him in an old movie and was mildly shocked to hear that familiar voice come out of an actual face!

Giovanna

Googling ... Hans Conried was the host of Fractured Flickers (and also voiced Snidley Whiplash, and was Uncle Tonoosh on the old Danny Thomas Show - does anyone else remember the restaurant Uncle Tanoosh on Halsted a couple of blocks north of Fullerton?) [had to get a food reference in to make the post relevant to the board]

And Edward Everett Horton was the voice behind Fractured Fairy Tales, as well as the narrator for Hoppity Hooper.
  • Post #29 - November 7th, 2005, 1:04 pm
    Post #29 - November 7th, 2005, 1:04 pm Post #29 - November 7th, 2005, 1:04 pm
    nr706 wrote:... does anyone else remember the restaurant Uncle Tanoosh on Halsted a couple of blocks north of Fullerton?.

Yes. I had a couple of good meals there back in the early '90's.

A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #30 - November 7th, 2005, 5:45 pm
    Post #30 - November 7th, 2005, 5:45 pm Post #30 - November 7th, 2005, 5:45 pm
    VIVIDLY remember mine:
    Shakey's Pizza in Taipei, circa late 70s. on that day, i was forever hooked to mojo potatoes and thin crust which translates to NYC > CHI in the pizza debate... i distinctly remember my grandfather picking up a whole bowl of beef vegetable soup and slurpin', while my cosmopolitan dad, who worked for an american conglomerate, chided him... fabulous times. (but then again, at that age, i also thought the remote garage opener in the ford escort? literally DROVE the car)

there used to be a shakeys pizza right by my work in LA.. i tried to sample the lunch buffet once a month, but it NEVER tasted as good...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more