LTH Home

Lawrence, Kansas

Lawrence, Kansas
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lawrence, Kansas

Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 4:43 pm
    Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 4:43 pm Post #1 - October 24th, 2005, 4:43 pm
    Any restaurants to take a significant other of note here?
    Nice, semi-formal date place, preferably not Italian (been cooking a lot of Italian for her lately)?
    Actually, any food tips about Salina, Lawrence, or in between is welcome, should people wish to hold forth about it.
    Thanks, as always,
    Parker
  • Post #2 - October 24th, 2005, 5:18 pm
    Post #2 - October 24th, 2005, 5:18 pm Post #2 - October 24th, 2005, 5:18 pm
    Although I have never been, my friend who is originally from Salina continually talks about the Cozy Innfor burgers and I trust his taste completely when it comes to burgers and BBQ.

P.S. This is probably not the special date place youare looking for, but is worth a visit.

P.P.S. These are slider style burgers.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #3 - October 25th, 2005, 9:26 am
    Post #3 - October 25th, 2005, 9:26 am Post #3 - October 25th, 2005, 9:26 am
    Lot's of places in Lawrence but very few of any note.

Higher end: Pachamama's New World Cuisine

Mid to lower: Free State Brewery. Good local beer and good food. Not standard pub fare.
  • Post #4 - October 25th, 2005, 9:34 am
    Post #4 - October 25th, 2005, 9:34 am Post #4 - October 25th, 2005, 9:34 am
    Some people claim that the Cozy Inn invented the White Castle hamburger. The problem with that is that the first White Castle was opened in Wichita in 1921, and the Cozy Inn didn't open until 1922. Nevertheless, if you want to taste what White Castles tasted like before it became a kind of rasty hangover food, the Cozy Inn is recommended.

I could give you recommendations in Lawrence, having gone to college there, but you'd need a time machine for most of them, and they weren't that good anyway (Joe's Donuts, anyone?).
    Last edited by Mike G on October 25th, 2005, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #5 - October 25th, 2005, 10:51 am
    Post #5 - October 25th, 2005, 10:51 am Post #5 - October 25th, 2005, 10:51 am
    here's a place a bit west of Salina, in Bunker Hill that my born in Salina friend suggested.
    http://www.bunkerhillcafe.com/index.asp
    and the cozyburger site-
    http://www.cozyburger.com/
    http://www.plainsfolk.com/oases/oasis27.htm
    If you're touring Kansas, Lindsborg is a nice stop for a Swedish fix.
    http://www.latimes.com/travel/destinati ... el-midwest
    The later the hour the better the egg salad sandwiches were at Joe's.
  • Post #6 - October 26th, 2005, 3:28 pm
    Post #6 - October 26th, 2005, 3:28 pm Post #6 - October 26th, 2005, 3:28 pm
    Downtown Lawrence has a new "cool and delightfully hip" pan-Asian place that is getting very good reviews for its "dishes inspired by the cuisines of Nepal, Tibet, Thailand, Vietnam and Japan." [this from the _K.C. Pitch_, a pretty reliable reviewer] Haven't tried it myself, but I will.

If you've got some time to leave I-70, you might think about the family-style dinners at the Brookville Hotel, a genuinely legendary treat.

http://www.brookvillehotel.com/art1.htm

[I can't guarantee they're still in bidness--it's been a while since I've been there.]

Geo

Zen Zero
    811 Massachusetts
    Lawrence KS
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #7 - November 3rd, 2005, 10:46 am
    Post #7 - November 3rd, 2005, 10:46 am Post #7 - November 3rd, 2005, 10:46 am
    Cozy Inn in Salina is appropriately described in the above posts - a memorable lunch stop.

Brookville Hotel relocated from Brookville to Abilene a few years ago. Family members in the area tell me that it is not as enjoyable as it was before the move. Another worthwhile stop in Abilene is Mr. K's Farmhouse Restaurant. Their website is: www.angelfire.com/ks3/farmhouse if you are interested. This is the site of the former Lena's Chicken House, which operated from 1939-1974. After a twenty year hiatus, the restaurant reopened and is quite good. They are especially noted for their homemade pies.

The Freestate Brewery in Lawrence is an excellent place to eat, whether you enjoy beer or not. Interesting fast food in Lawrence is at two Runza Drive In Restaurants. Check them at www.Runza.com for locations, menu, etc. A Runza is their take on a bierock. They offer three varieties, as well as all of the standard fast food items. We all prefer the Swiss Mushroom OvenStuff'd Sandwich at $3.29 to the Original and the Cheese Stuff'd.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more