LTH Home

Fresh Market coming to Glen Ellyn

Fresh Market coming to Glen Ellyn
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fresh Market coming to Glen Ellyn

Post #1 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am
    Post #1 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am Post #1 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:42 am
    I have read that Fresh Market is coming to Glen Ellyn. Taking a place vacated by Packey Webb. This is good for the Wheaton-Glen Ellyn community. We will have Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Mariano's, and Bende's along the Roosevelt Rd. corridor. This is in addition to other Jewel, Dominicks, Whole Foods, Aldi, Ultra, and other stores all within a few miles. I am wondering how this will impact the other stores but also wonder about the fact that the Fresh Market will be located a miles or two from the new Mariano's. Its nice to have choices but someone is going to have to step up their game. Also people going to Target now too for groceries.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #2 - December 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm
    Post #2 - December 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm Post #2 - December 2nd, 2012, 2:00 pm
    Hi- I have been to the Fresh Market in Wilmette a few times, and yes the store is nice, but they are just too expensive for me, and they don't have an extensive bulk food section like WF does. I visit WF about once a month. and I mostly purchase things from their bulk section, including spices, yogurt, Cedar's Hummus when it is on sale, some cheese, Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips, and their store brand peanut butter. I also buy what is on sale, and for which I have a coupon, such as Muir Glen canned tomatoes and Arrowhead Mills and King Arthur flour.

WF seems to be the only place that has Guiltless Gourmet now, and every few months they put it on sale for $2 a bag.

I am surprised that Fresh Market is still open in Eden's Plaza. It is in a kind of an out of the way location. It is right off the Edens I guess, for those people that want to stop there on their way come from work though. I think that a lot of their sales are in the deli department, for those people who don't like to cook. WF is much more convenient for me. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:07 pm
    Post #3 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:07 pm Post #3 - December 2nd, 2012, 11:07 pm
    I have not bought much bulk food from Whole Foods but will explore it. I welcome more shopping choices and quality and price are issues and I shop different stores depending on what I am buying.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #4 - December 3rd, 2012, 8:08 am
    Post #4 - December 3rd, 2012, 8:08 am Post #4 - December 3rd, 2012, 8:08 am
    There is a Fresh Market in Geneva that has been open for 5 years or so. We have only gone a few times because we saw nothing worthy of the effort that we couldn't get from someplace easier to get to and less expensive. We looked at some deli items and spotted a number of things that did not look fresh made. There are just way too many options of places to go that are better located.
  • Post #5 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 am
    Post #5 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 am Post #5 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:19 am
    Maybe I am thinking of Fresh Farms. I think that is different than Fresh Market. The latter is seemingly what we are getting.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #6 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:45 am
    Post #6 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:45 am Post #6 - December 3rd, 2012, 10:45 am
    They certainly want to confuse people with similar names!
  • Post #7 - December 3rd, 2012, 11:50 am
    Post #7 - December 3rd, 2012, 11:50 am Post #7 - December 3rd, 2012, 11:50 am
    Hi- Fresh Market is way more expensive than Fresh Farms is. Fresh Market is more like a miniature Whole Foods, even though I don't care for it as much
  • Post #8 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:05 pm
    Post #8 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:05 pm Post #8 - December 3rd, 2012, 1:05 pm
    I stop by the Wilmette store on occasion. It is not meant to be a full service grocery and I guess the closest equivalent would be a mini Whole Foods without the emphasis on organics. I'd say they're about WF quality at lower prices. They do have decent prices on weekly sale items, although the sales are limited. Also, since they are a Southern chain, they carry some items, like White Lily flour that you don't easily find in other stores. I've never tried the prepared foods, and generally don't buy prepared foods anywhere
  • Post #9 - December 10th, 2012, 8:31 pm
    Post #9 - December 10th, 2012, 8:31 pm Post #9 - December 10th, 2012, 8:31 pm
    Maybe it's just nostalgia kicking in, but I would love to have a Fresh Market that is convenient to me! I used to live in Greensboro, NC, and that is where the first stores opened up back in the '80s. It was a treasure trove of delights and delicacies that you otherwise couldn't find around there at the time.
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #10 - December 10th, 2012, 8:40 pm
    Post #10 - December 10th, 2012, 8:40 pm Post #10 - December 10th, 2012, 8:40 pm
    I would never do all of my shopping there but if you hunt around and watch for sales some of their meat can be reasonable for the quality, that is to say it's a bit pricy but I think you get a good product. The cheese and wine shop is about on par with WF, but I think WF is better for price, selction, and quality of produce.
  • Post #11 - December 10th, 2012, 9:39 pm
    Post #11 - December 10th, 2012, 9:39 pm Post #11 - December 10th, 2012, 9:39 pm
    One of the biggest problems with Fresh Market is that you can't do a complete grocery-shopping trip, meaning they don't carry things like TP, paper towels, detergent, etc. If you need giant shrimp, a standing rib roast cut to order, a bottle of wine, and some overpriced out-of-season fruit, you're golden, but if you need zippy bags or a box of tissues, forget it - meaning you need to make an additional trip.

Also, I gave up on it after multiple instances of finding mis-marked or unmarked items, and it taking an Act of God to find someone willing to give me a price on the item. After the last instance, in which a clerk tried to charge me a made-up price for an item based on an unrelated product (!), I was so miffed that I wrote a letter about their slipshod procedures to Lisa Madigan's office, and never went back. Too many other places on the North Shore to shop that have far better business practices (and local ownership, like The Grand and Treasure Island.
  • Post #12 - December 10th, 2012, 11:37 pm
    Post #12 - December 10th, 2012, 11:37 pm Post #12 - December 10th, 2012, 11:37 pm
    Hi- At least at WF their customer service is outstanding. When I am in the produce section, and I have a question, there is always somebody working in the department there to help me. Half the time when you go to Dominick's or Jewel, there is nobody working in the produce section.

I also have good luck getting assistance in the dairy/frozen assistance. If I am looking for something in the dairy department, and I notice it is out, I can usually find somebody to either tell me that they are out, but they are expecting another shipment tomorrow, or to go back to the cooler, and see if they can find what I am looking for. At Dominick's especially I can never find anybody working in the dairy department to ask a question.

I don't understand why fresh market could not just scan the item to see how much it was. Wasn't it in their computer? I occasionally do have problems at WF, where there is no shelf tag, and so I have no idea how much it is. I suppose that I could go to CS and have it scanned. I use Jewels price scanners on a regular basis, and I wish all the other grocery stores would install them, and especially Dominick's.

I used to take somebody shopping at the Treasure Island in Wilmette, and most of the people that work there are super nice, and will go out of their way to help you. There is one person in the produce section that I could do without though if he is still there. I think he is in charge of produce. TI has really reasonably priced Bell and Evans chicken. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #13 - December 11th, 2012, 3:32 am
    Post #13 - December 11th, 2012, 3:32 am Post #13 - December 11th, 2012, 3:32 am
    Unfortunately, in the wild wilderness of central Illinois, Fresh Market is the only specialty food market that is in our town. We have 2 natural food stores, but Fresh Market prices look almost reasonable next to the prices in those independent natural food stores. I have had nothing but good customer service though at my store. I go shopping there about once every two weeks for coffee and organic butter and eggs, which seem to be pretty reasonable there compared to other places in town. I wish we had a trader joes or a whole foods down here. But then I would probably not get up to Chicago as much!
  • Post #14 - February 8th, 2014, 5:26 pm
    Post #14 - February 8th, 2014, 5:26 pm Post #14 - February 8th, 2014, 5:26 pm
    Somebody posted on one of the other boards that I visit, that Fresh Market has b/s chicken breast on sale every Tuesday during the month of February for $2.99 a pound. Does anybody have any idea if their chicken is free range? This person loves their chicken. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #15 - February 9th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Post #15 - February 9th, 2014, 4:40 pm Post #15 - February 9th, 2014, 4:40 pm
    Fresh Market has yet to open. It looks like soon. So I will be visiting there just as soon as the crowds die off. The first day is usually unbearable, it was for the new Marianos.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #16 - July 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    Post #16 - July 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm Post #16 - July 9th, 2018, 4:39 pm
    Fresh Market closing 15 stores, including two in Chicago area
    https://trib.in/2J9h7d8
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #17 - July 9th, 2018, 7:37 pm
    Post #17 - July 9th, 2018, 7:37 pm Post #17 - July 9th, 2018, 7:37 pm
    Sad to see the one in Normal closing, although the market has seen some stiff competition with Hy-Vee opening a pretty good store in the last couple of years, Green Top Grocery (although they are having money issues) opening in Bloomington, and Fresh Thyme in Bloomington.

I'm not surprised, though. Bloomington-Normal just doesn't seem to support much beyond chain restaurants and generic supermarkets. The Garlic Press is much changed (I think for the worse, but they know their books better than I). World Gourmet Food closed a while ago....
  • Post #18 - July 12th, 2018, 12:09 pm
    Post #18 - July 12th, 2018, 12:09 pm Post #18 - July 12th, 2018, 12:09 pm
    I'm not surprised that they are closing the one in Glen Ellyn. It was a good concept but unless they were offering something special, there was no point in going there. The something special could have been deli, take out meals, prepared stuff, but when I looked at what they had, it looked forlorn and like it was sitting there for hours drying up. The prices of other things they had was high and most of what they carried could be gotten at regular stores, Whole Foods or Amazon.
    Toria

W. Shakespeare
  • Post #19 - July 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm
    Post #19 - July 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm Post #19 - July 12th, 2018, 3:29 pm
    I am surprised that they are closing Lincolnshire and not Lake Forest.....I never see anyone in the Lake Forest store and though I have never been inside, the parking lot in Lincolnshire always seems reasonably crowded.

-Will
  • Post #20 - June 14th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    Post #20 - June 14th, 2022, 10:10 pm Post #20 - June 14th, 2022, 10:10 pm
    Hi- I was in the Wilmette Fresh Market store today to see if they had any King Arthus white wheat flour, and they did not, but they did have some good sales on meat. They had boneless skinless chicken breast on sale for $3.99, and they had organic boneless skinless chicken breast for $6.99 s pound. They also had ground beef on sale too. I think the ground chuck was $2.99 and the lower fat one was $3.99 a pound. I saw a fair amount of people there buying meat. These sales on meat take place on Tuesdays. They also have a shopper program similar to J4U, where you get discounts and free stuff if you sign up for the program. I decided to pass on the chicken breast because I was not going straight home, and I did not feel comfortable leaving it in my hot car today. I went to Jewel after I left Fresh Market. I only stopped in there because I wanted to go to Chalet too, which was across the street.
  • Post #21 - July 24th, 2022, 12:53 pm
    Post #21 - July 24th, 2022, 12:53 pm Post #21 - July 24th, 2022, 12:53 pm
    Hi- Has anybody tried the Alaskan salmon at Fresh Market? It is on sale right now for I think $14.99 a pound. I went to Ravinia with three friends of mine on Friday, and one of my friends stopped in at Fresh Market the day before, and bought a pound of chicken salad, and a pound of tuna salad. If you buy a pound, you get four croissants for free, and so he got eight croissants for free, and he made sandwiches and brought them. I thought the tuna salad was okay, but it had too much mayonnaise.
  • Post #22 - February 28th, 2023, 9:12 pm
    Post #22 - February 28th, 2023, 9:12 pm Post #22 - February 28th, 2023, 9:12 pm
    The Fresh Market is opening a store in Naperville on Route 59 and Jefferson in the old Dick’s Sporting Goods Warehouse site.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #23 - December 12th, 2023, 4:39 am
    Post #23 - December 12th, 2023, 4:39 am Post #23 - December 12th, 2023, 4:39 am
    I just heard on nextdoor, that the Fresh Market store at Eden's Plaza is expanding. They are tearing down the wall to Bed Bath and Beyond which recently closed, and adding that space to their current location.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more