LTHforum's 7th annual picnic: Sunday September 9, 2012

LTHforum's 7th annual picnic: Sunday September 9, 2012
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 8
  • LTHforum's 7th annual picnic: Sunday September 9, 2012

Post #1 - August 15th, 2012, 9:22 pm
    Post #1 - August 15th, 2012, 9:22 pm Post #1 - August 15th, 2012, 9:22 pm
    LTHforum's 7th Annual Potluck Picnic

The gathering of the LTHforum clan for the best community picnic in Chicago. We are following in the footsteps of many a small town's picnic, which almost nobody experiences without driving deep into the country. Fortunately just about everyone knows each other or if we don't, we surely will now.

Date: Sunday, September 9th – Rain or Shine!

Where: Labagh Woods, Grove 1

Shelter in grove 1 (image by Steve Z)

Driving: Take 94 to the Foster Avenue Exit, then turn right (west) until the stoplight at Cicero Avenue. Turn right (north) onto Cicero Avenue for a few hundred yards. Turn right (east) at the LaBagh Woods Forest Preserve sign. Follow the road over US 94 and keep to the left to reach the lot.

Follow the red arrow (image by Ramon)

Time:
    - 9 AM (or earlier by arrangement): I will arrive to reconfirm our picnic permit. Smokers and grillers may arrive to begin their cooks.
    - 10:30 AM: Help with tidying up, arranging tables and supplies.
    - 11:30 AM: Appetizers/Lunch/Desserts (Food will be coming out in waves as they are cooked or as people arrive. It is truly a miraculous vision: Food shows up and people eat it!)
    - 5:30ish - Begin tidying up - please note this is everyone's effort.
    - 7:00 PM: Sunset - party over followed by the Park District chaining the driveway.

Fee: Free!

This is a true do-it-ourselves event where we bring food to share, help set up and clean up. Please advise if you can come early or help later with tidying up. This picnic will leave pleasant memories for all of us when we share the load.

Reserve: By replying on this thread. Your information will be maintained on this reservations list, which can always be checked. Please alert us to any errors. From time to time, we will post a recap on this thread.

Everyone joining in this event is expected to contribute in food, keeping the event orderly and tidy up as you go.

Shelter interior with food laden tables (image by incite)

BBQ smokers and Grills: Please arrange your equipment in the front area, just off the main walk into the shelter. Sure a blast of wind from the wrong direction might send smoke into the shelter. Consider it a shared experience.

BYOT & BYOC: Seating is at a premium with only ten picnic tables provided with the shelter. These will be filled with all kinds of food. If you want to guarantee a seat, bring your own. Ditto for tables. There are lovely grounds for sitting on a blanket. You might consider setting up your seating behind the walls of the shelter.

Whatever food you choose to bring, please make sure to keep hot food hot and cold food cold

Pulled Pork (image by incite)

If you are better at ordering take-out, then consider bringing the following:

- Tables and chairs (we might get as many as ten benches from the park district)
    - Offer to bring bread from local bakers
    - Beverages*
    - Cheese or salamis
    - Water and Ice is always nice!*

*If you commit and later find you cannot attend, please give advance warning. People may want to keep a stash of water in case there are shortages (like last year).

According to David Hammond, who graciously stored last year's unused supplies, we have on hand:
    200 napkins
    300 10oz cups
    125 molded poly take-away containers
    75 Dixie cups
    Two Jugs of hand sanitizer
    50 30-gallon Hefty bags
    Box of plastic cutlery (120 knife/fork/spoon combos)
    8 cans of Sterno
    Box of moistened towelettes

At my home:
    Individually wrapped:
    - 44 knives
    - 43 forks
    - 43 soup spoons
    - 3 sporks
    - 10 packaged fork-knife-spoon sets
    Unwrapped: (I think I have more cutlery)
    - 13 forks
    - 21 spoons
    - 7 knives
    Plastic tablecloths (very likely have enough for all picnic tables)

We need paper towels, cups, napkins, paper plates.

:idea: If you can bring a bag to collect recyclables to bring home and dispose, that would be terrific.

Picnic Permit Rules and Regulations wrote:
    3. The Forest Preserve District is closed to all visitors after SUNSET. Night picnics are not permitted. Glass beverage containers are not permitted on the Forest Preserve District property.

5. The sale of alcoholic beverages in any form is prohibited.
    6. Before leaving, you must extinguish all fires; collect all your paper debris, bottles and trash and deposit them in the appropriate containers.

10. All ordinances and regulations in effect of the Forest Preserve District must be observed and the instructions of its representatives obeyed. Please note that the consumption of alcohol upon or within 50 feet of any roadway, parking area or entranceway is prohibit. No admission fees or charges may be levied.

Alcohol consumption is allowed in this grove. As stated above, you cannot bring any glass bottles. BYOB (in original plastic) is otherwise a-ok.

From talking to the Cook County Forest Preserve Police, the consequences of a violation are: At a minimum two tickets with fines and mandatory court appearances will be issued: to the violator and the person named on the permit. Let's end the day feeling happy. :D

Please reserve by posting below with what you plan to bring to the picnic, where it fits into the meal and how many are attending:

Appetizer
    Bread
    Cheese/Sausage (to be sliced)
    Side Dishes
    Salads
    Main course
    Snacks
    Desserts
    Alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages

Please advise if your food needs heating, grilling or smoking. Plan to bring your own equipment unless you have arranged to share grill space on someone elses. If you have a tabletop grill, then be prepared to have it sit on the ground.

We have a special spot in our hearts for unique and weird food. Things you never thought you'd have an opportunity to eat.

:idea: Let's do this again, because it worked well last year: If you have small bites to easily pick up, consider walking through the crowd offering tastes to people.

Adjacent to our picnic area is a large field for games, advise if you can organize a game or two. We are seeking a volunteer to arrange a pinata filled with candy whimsies. The LTHforum picnic fund will reimburse your expenses.

Mom and Dad: Keep an eye on the kids. If someone else keeps an eye on them, you can be assured they are not enjoying themselves as fully as they'd like.

On the grove’s premises are portapottys plus brick-and-mortar flush toilets and water to clean your hands.

Waste not, want not: We encourage everyone to bring food storage containers, tupperware, ziplocs or plastic bags. We know there will be food to feed more than will be present, so please take home leftovers to enjoy the party just a wee bit longer the next day. When you are ready to leave and getting a container to go, please be considerate of those who may still be eating. Take a modest portion of any dish, especially if it just arrived.

We are not encouraging people to bring pets. There will be lots of noise, people, fire, food, liquor and kids. Even the best behaved beast may not respond well in these conditions. Promise them a good walk and lots of love when you return home, please. I am leaving my cat at home, who does not like to be without me. We all understand these sacrifices.

Come with the classic LTHforum open spirit to break bread with friends who share your culinary interests.

Now come out to eat and play!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - August 15th, 2012, 10:18 pm
    Post #2 - August 15th, 2012, 10:18 pm Post #2 - August 15th, 2012, 10:18 pm
    Put me down for zoid +1.
    I'll commit to bringing water and ice for now but I'm hoping to think of some actual food I can contribute as well.
  • Post #3 - August 16th, 2012, 6:37 am
    Post #3 - August 16th, 2012, 6:37 am Post #3 - August 16th, 2012, 6:37 am
    Me and myself alone. I'm still cogitating upon my contribution and will update.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #4 - August 16th, 2012, 7:46 am
    Post #4 - August 16th, 2012, 7:46 am Post #4 - August 16th, 2012, 7:46 am
    I wouldn't miss the event of the year!
    put me down for me +4
    I will bring some sort of dessert most likely brownies or cookies so I can do ahead-
    (we will be out of town the 2 days before)
    I will also bring a case of water bottles, paper towels(PM and let me know how many rolls), and a a big pack of napkins from costco.
    :D
    Happy face....
    love the picnic....
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #5 - August 16th, 2012, 8:05 am
    Post #5 - August 16th, 2012, 8:05 am Post #5 - August 16th, 2012, 8:05 am
    Unfortunately, the picnic coincides with us moving again...immensely sad. On the plus side, we hopefully won't be moving again until the girls start high school (if even then), and we're moving to a place where I can finally have a smoker...so next year, I'll bring something smoked :)

Have fun & eat lots of awesome stuff (as if these things even need to be said)!
  • Post #6 - August 16th, 2012, 8:10 am
    Post #6 - August 16th, 2012, 8:10 am Post #6 - August 16th, 2012, 8:10 am
    Of course I will be there. I haven't a clue what I'll be making, but given the way my garden is running, expect delicata squash to figure strongly. (Virant's Squash aigre-doux is looking like a good possibility)

[Edited -- SueF can't make it, she's triple-booked that sunday]
    Last edited by JoelF on August 20th, 2012, 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - August 16th, 2012, 8:33 am
    Post #7 - August 16th, 2012, 8:33 am Post #7 - August 16th, 2012, 8:33 am
    two please, me and mr leek

I will bring a veggie dish of some kind.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #8 - August 16th, 2012, 8:46 am
    Post #8 - August 16th, 2012, 8:46 am Post #8 - August 16th, 2012, 8:46 am
    Count me in + 1! I can bring some bread from Floriole and cheese. Maybe if someone wants to bring some cured meats it could be a marriage made in food heaven! :)
    Last edited by CrazyC on August 16th, 2012, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #9 - August 16th, 2012, 9:22 am
    Post #9 - August 16th, 2012, 9:22 am Post #9 - August 16th, 2012, 9:22 am
    CrazyC wrote:Count me in! I can bring some bread from Floriole and cheese. Maybe if someone wants to bring some cured meats it could be a marriage made in food heaven! :)

Hint: You may want to contact Josephine ...
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #10 - August 16th, 2012, 10:03 am
    Post #10 - August 16th, 2012, 10:03 am Post #10 - August 16th, 2012, 10:03 am
    Please add Bean + 1. Contribution awaiting inspiration.
  • Post #11 - August 16th, 2012, 11:01 am
    Post #11 - August 16th, 2012, 11:01 am Post #11 - August 16th, 2012, 11:01 am
    Me +1. Do I even need to say I'll be bringing something weird?
  • Post #12 - August 16th, 2012, 11:27 am
    Post #12 - August 16th, 2012, 11:27 am Post #12 - August 16th, 2012, 11:27 am
    Please count me in +1 guest.
    Contribution to be determined.
    As far as I'm concerned, the LTH picnic is one of the highlights of the year.
  • Post #13 - August 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm
    Post #13 - August 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm Post #13 - August 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm
    Count me in. Not sure what I'm making yet.

-Dan
  • Post #14 - August 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm
    Post #14 - August 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm Post #14 - August 16th, 2012, 9:49 pm
    i am doing the glen ellen bbq contest sat. so i should have plenty of whatever we make. 1st time so i hope to meet alot of lth people. going to be 4 of us. totaly prepared
  • Post #15 - August 16th, 2012, 11:38 pm
    Post #15 - August 16th, 2012, 11:38 pm Post #15 - August 16th, 2012, 11:38 pm
    In +1. Still in CN & will decide later what to contribute.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #16 - August 17th, 2012, 5:16 am
    Post #16 - August 17th, 2012, 5:16 am Post #16 - August 17th, 2012, 5:16 am
    Please count me in +1. We'll be bringing:
    Mai Tai's (I'll make enough orgeat syrup this time to make a more appropriately sized batch for the crowd) (drink)
    Dukkah and bread from Argo Georgian Bakery to accompany (appetizer?)
    And some sort of dessert, likely a cake. Or maybe buckeyes.
  • Post #17 - August 17th, 2012, 8:48 am
    Post #17 - August 17th, 2012, 8:48 am Post #17 - August 17th, 2012, 8:48 am
    I'll handle the pinata. Not sure what else or who will be accompanying me yet.
    -ramon
  • Post #18 - August 17th, 2012, 9:27 am
    Post #18 - August 17th, 2012, 9:27 am Post #18 - August 17th, 2012, 9:27 am
    Ramon wrote:I'll handle the pinata. Not sure what else or who will be accompanying me yet.
    -ramon

Yes!! :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #19 - August 17th, 2012, 9:36 am
    Post #19 - August 17th, 2012, 9:36 am Post #19 - August 17th, 2012, 9:36 am
    I will be attending - for the first time. Decided to sell my Bears tix for a change and join in the picnic festivities . . . not sure what my contribution will be yet.
  • Post #20 - August 17th, 2012, 9:57 am
    Post #20 - August 17th, 2012, 9:57 am Post #20 - August 17th, 2012, 9:57 am
    In+1, no idea what we're bringing yet.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #21 - August 17th, 2012, 11:57 am
    Post #21 - August 17th, 2012, 11:57 am Post #21 - August 17th, 2012, 11:57 am
    In. Will bring some kind of international salad type thing like the last 2 years.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #22 - August 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm
    Post #22 - August 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm Post #22 - August 17th, 2012, 1:49 pm
    In. Of course. Don't think I'd miss this event as long as I'm this side of the dirt.

Have no idea what I'll bring yet.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #23 - August 17th, 2012, 2:35 pm
    Post #23 - August 17th, 2012, 2:35 pm Post #23 - August 17th, 2012, 2:35 pm
    In for 1, please. Contribution TBD.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #24 - August 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm
    Post #24 - August 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm Post #24 - August 17th, 2012, 10:08 pm
    Alright! In for myself +2 (and maybe a couple others later). Contribution isn't decided yet, but will most likely be grilled animal flesh of some sort. I'll be bringing a grill, if anyone needs a grill please PM me to help me figure out which grill would be the best to bring.
    It is VERY important to be smart when you're doing something stupid

- Chris

http://stavewoodworking.com
  • Post #25 - August 19th, 2012, 9:06 am
    Post #25 - August 19th, 2012, 9:06 am Post #25 - August 19th, 2012, 9:06 am
    i'm coming. no idea what i'm making. but probably will include my fruit punch, as it's always popular. looking forward to it, as always. justjoan
  • Post #26 - August 19th, 2012, 10:55 am
    Post #26 - August 19th, 2012, 10:55 am Post #26 - August 19th, 2012, 10:55 am
    I will be there, with Chouxfly and our three boys (so +5 total). Not sure yet what we'll bring, but Chouxfly will definitely bake something delicious.

Hmm... we have a portable grill. Would something as mundane as bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers go over well?
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #27 - August 19th, 2012, 8:05 pm
    Post #27 - August 19th, 2012, 8:05 pm Post #27 - August 19th, 2012, 8:05 pm
    It has been and extremely long year waiting for the picnic, so definitely in for glennpan + 2. Probably will bring a pan of UJs hot links again, but will advise as it gets closer. Can't wait!
  • Post #28 - August 19th, 2012, 8:36 pm
    Post #28 - August 19th, 2012, 8:36 pm Post #28 - August 19th, 2012, 8:36 pm
    I'm in +3 but don't know what I'm making yet. :)

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #29 - August 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm
    Post #29 - August 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm Post #29 - August 19th, 2012, 9:11 pm
    In for 2 (My Bride and I) and might invite a few friends. Will update.

I have been working on Chicken Satay and it is just about presentable. :) Should be great in a few weeks.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #30 - August 20th, 2012, 9:09 am
    Post #30 - August 20th, 2012, 9:09 am Post #30 - August 20th, 2012, 9:09 am
    If you are looking for ideas, I learned recently of a South Dakota tradition: cream can cooking, which may be the Great Plains equivalent of a New England clam bake:

Using just a 10-gallon can and the burner for a turkey fryer, the men can turn a mixture of sausage and vegetables into a hearty meal that feeds 30.

“If you tell somebody you’re ‘having cream can,’ they’re over — right away,” Bigge said, as a crowd gathered one late summer evening to enjoy the last of the season’s fresh sweet corn. “It’s the best thing they ever ate.”

Cream canning is done by filling the 10-gallon can with fresh vegetables including sweet corn and smoked sausage. Water is added and the food is cooked atop an open flame. It has other benefits, in addition to being a taste-tempting meal. “It’s all good for you because it’s all steamed,” Wilson said. He and Bigge host cream can suppers to celebrate everything from a NASCAR race to class reunions or company picnics.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more