LTH Home

Three Floyds, Dark Lord Day

Three Floyds, Dark Lord Day
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 11 of 13
  • Post #301 - May 2nd, 2011, 2:32 pm
    Post #301 - May 2nd, 2011, 2:32 pm Post #301 - May 2nd, 2011, 2:32 pm
    nr706 wrote:
    chgoeditor wrote:This is my first experience (intentionally) aging beer, so I'm assuming that storing on their side at the optimal temperature is preferable to storing upright in closet where the temp will fluctuate a fair amount during the summer months.

Storing on their sides isn't necessary ... the cap doesn't potentially dry out like a wine cork can. Consistent cool temp for storage is a good thing, though.

I'd read articles that said storing upright is preferable to storing on the side, so what I was really trying to say was, "I assume optimal temperature is more important than optimal orientation." (I can't fit them into my wine fridge in an upright position.)
  • Post #302 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm
    Post #302 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm Post #302 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:17 pm
    the wimperoo wrote:Like I posted earlier, my friend dumb-ass-ingly lost his ticket stub prior to our Group being able to buy bottles so he's got none. If you have any desire to sell or trade 1 or 2 bottles I would be greatly interested in trying to work something out.

I'll PM ya.

I can't do a bunch of trading though, because a max of 8 of these are mine (possibly as few as 6) and obviously, I want to drink them myself. :) There are a limited number of trades that friends and I would make, though... there are beers on this level, out there.
  • Post #303 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm
    Post #303 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm Post #303 - May 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm
    I've already seen 2011 bottles showing up on ebay for $40 - $60.
  • Post #304 - September 15th, 2011, 9:02 am
    Post #304 - September 15th, 2011, 9:02 am Post #304 - September 15th, 2011, 9:02 am
    Because one clusterf*ck a year isn't enough for FFF (kidding!):

Anniversary Party Announced

Pertinent points include:
    - November 12th we will be hosting our 15 year annivesary party.
    - It will be a ticket only event, $25. 2500 tickets will be sold.
    - Tickets will be sold on the internet at a date TBA
    - 700 tickets will be sold at the brewery at a date TBA
    - Our XV beer is going to be a collaboration between us (USA), Surly (USA), Mikkeller (Denmark), and Struise (Belgium). We are brewing Surly Darkness, Mikkeller’s Beer Geek Brunch, De Struise’s Black Albert, and our Dark Lord Imperial Stout. All these beers will be blended to create our XV beer for maximum ass kickery.
    best,
    dan
  • Post #305 - September 15th, 2011, 9:31 am
    Post #305 - September 15th, 2011, 9:31 am Post #305 - September 15th, 2011, 9:31 am
    That blend sounds quite interesting. I don't particularly love any of the beers individually. But the blend might help mask all of the negatives I have for each one.

Not that it matters, because there's a slim to none chance I'll ever get a bottle. It's on the same day as FOBAB, and I'd much rather go to FOBAB than this. Even if this is at night, and you do the day session at FOBAB it would be pretty damn hard to do both.
  • Post #306 - September 15th, 2011, 10:10 am
    Post #306 - September 15th, 2011, 10:10 am Post #306 - September 15th, 2011, 10:10 am
    the wimperoo wrote:That blend sounds quite interesting. I don't particularly love any of the beers individually. But the blend might help mask all of the negatives I have for each one.

Not that it matters, because there's a slim to none chance I'll ever get a bottle. It's on the same day as FOBAB, and I'd much rather go to FOBAB than this. Even if this is at night, and you do the day session at FOBAB it would be pretty damn hard to do both.

Hmm interesting, decisions, decisions. While the FFF event sounds interesting, the assuredly painful process of getting tickets, plus the hassle of getting down there have me leaning towards FOBAB with it's considerably easier access and tickets.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #307 - September 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm
    Post #307 - September 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm Post #307 - September 15th, 2011, 3:27 pm
    headcase wrote:
    the wimperoo wrote:That blend sounds quite interesting. I don't particularly love any of the beers individually. But the blend might help mask all of the negatives I have for each one.

Hmm interesting, decisions, decisions. While the FFF event sounds interesting, the assuredly painful process of getting tickets, plus the hassle of getting down there have me leaning towards FOBAB with it's considerably easier access and tickets.

SSDD

Exactly. No driving or driver needed for FOBAB for me. FOBAB has been well-run for years and seems to get bigger every year. DLD is a blast but I'm not so sure I want to be hanging around outside of FFF in mid-November (because 2500 people ain't fitting inside the building, right?).
  • Post #308 - October 7th, 2011, 8:33 am
    Post #308 - October 7th, 2011, 8:33 am Post #308 - October 7th, 2011, 8:33 am
    danimalarkey wrote:Because one clusterf*ck a year isn't enough for FFF (kidding!):

Anniversary Party Announced

Pertinent points include:
    - November 12th we will be hosting our 15 year annivesary party.
    - It will be a ticket only event, $25. 2500 tickets will be sold.
    - Tickets will be sold on the internet at a date TBA
    - 700 tickets will be sold at the brewery at a date TBA
    - Our XV beer is going to be a collaboration between us (USA), Surly (USA), Mikkeller (Denmark), and Struise (Belgium). We are brewing Surly Darkness, Mikkeller’s Beer Geek Brunch, De Struise’s Black Albert, and our Dark Lord Imperial Stout. All these beers will be blended to create our XV beer for maximum ass kickery.

Tickets on sale Monday at 1pm

http://www.3floyds.com/2011/10/05/anniv ... es-update/
  • Post #309 - October 7th, 2011, 12:04 pm
    Post #309 - October 7th, 2011, 12:04 pm Post #309 - October 7th, 2011, 12:04 pm
    Since this starts at 1pm, I am going to try to get tickets. Get my bottles, get some tasty food from the great chefs that will be there, and then get out of there for the night session of FoBAB.
  • Post #310 - October 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm
    Post #310 - October 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm Post #310 - October 9th, 2011, 12:41 pm
    I got 2 tix this afternoon as they had cash sales at the brewery today.
  • Post #311 - October 10th, 2011, 12:09 pm
    Post #311 - October 10th, 2011, 12:09 pm Post #311 - October 10th, 2011, 12:09 pm
    Online sales are available now, just snagged a few tickets
  • Post #312 - October 10th, 2011, 2:28 pm
    Post #312 - October 10th, 2011, 2:28 pm Post #312 - October 10th, 2011, 2:28 pm
    Since someone messed up and made it possible for people to buy up to 10 tickets, it looks like (from monitoring twitter and facebook) that Floyd's is going back through and refunding any purchases over 2 tickets. Tickets might be available again now if you missed them earlier.
  • Post #313 - November 1st, 2011, 8:59 am
    Post #313 - November 1st, 2011, 8:59 am Post #313 - November 1st, 2011, 8:59 am
    My daughter and her boyfriend will be attending the anniversary party and is in need of transportation. Does anyone have room for two? Please PM me if you might be able to help. Thanks in advance.
  • Post #314 - November 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm
    Post #314 - November 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm Post #314 - November 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm
    I have 1, possibly 2 extra tickets for this. Just (re)found out that we have a wedding to go to.

I guess standard beer dork protocol for these things is selling the ticket for face and that person having the right to buy 1 of the beers per ticket. I would then buy the rest of the allotment (which hasn't been announced). If the allotment is 4, I don't even know if I'd want to buy 3 for each ticket so I'd entertain other offers.
  • Post #315 - November 4th, 2011, 10:16 am
    Post #315 - November 4th, 2011, 10:16 am Post #315 - November 4th, 2011, 10:16 am
    Is that really standard practice? You get someone else to pay for the ticket, wait in line, and then only get one of the beers?
    I'd assume that the ticket seller would have the option to buy one bottle back. That seems more reasonable.

You can, of course, sell with any conditions you like - I'm just wondering if that is indeed standard practice.
  • Post #316 - November 4th, 2011, 10:30 am
    Post #316 - November 4th, 2011, 10:30 am Post #316 - November 4th, 2011, 10:30 am
    Llama wrote:Is that really standard practice? You get someone else to pay for the ticket, wait in line, and then only get one of the beers?
    I'd assume that the ticket seller would have the option to buy one bottle back. That seems more reasonable.

You can, of course, sell with any conditions you like - I'm just wondering if that is indeed standard practice.

I was wondering the same thing too?

Not a deal I'd make but YMMV
  • Post #317 - November 4th, 2011, 11:47 am
    Post #317 - November 4th, 2011, 11:47 am Post #317 - November 4th, 2011, 11:47 am
    Llama wrote:Is that really standard practice? You get someone else to pay for the ticket, wait in line, and then only get one of the beers?

That's what I've been told. I don't frequent Beer Advocate forums or anything, but I have friends that do and they told me this is pretty standard. I know one of them sold their DLD tickets for the same deal this year.

mhill95149 wrote:Not a deal I'd make but YMMV

I agree with your sentiment. Although, I haven't found the lines/process/etc. as dreadful as others have, I probably wouldn't go for just 1 bottle. But people go for different reasons. Some for the music or the trading. Maybe some people can't afford to buy all 4 bottles per ticket. I certainly have seen people not buying their full allotment of Dark Lord.

I've actually already made a deal for 1 of the tickets where I'll get a couple bottles, so I'd do the other ticket for face and then I'll buy a bottle or 2.
  • Post #318 - November 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm
    Post #318 - November 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm Post #318 - November 4th, 2011, 12:13 pm
    ziggy wrote:

That's what I've been told. I don't frequent Beer Advocate forums or anything, but I have friends that do and they told me this is pretty standard. I know one of them sold their DLD tickets for the same deal this year.

mhill95149 wrote:Not a deal I'd make but YMMV

I agree with your sentiment. Although, I haven't found the lines/process/etc. as dreadful as others have, I probably wouldn't go for just 1 bottle. But people go for different reasons. Some for the music or the trading. Maybe some people can't afford to buy all 4 bottles per ticket. I certainly have seen people not buying their full allotment of Dark Lord.

I've actually already made a deal for 1 of the tickets where I'll get a couple bottles, so I'd do the other ticket for face and then I'll buy a bottle or 2.

The difference is this isn't Dark Lord Day and they're not allowing coolers, so the beer sharing that makes Dark Lord Day worth it even if you weren't going to buy the bottles and didn't care about the music doesn't really apply here.
  • Post #319 - November 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm
    Post #319 - November 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm Post #319 - November 10th, 2011, 1:28 pm
    Alas, we lost one of our crew for the anniversary party on Saturday, so I have an extra ticket that I'd gladly part with for face value. If anyone is interested, please DM me. :)
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #320 - November 11th, 2011, 12:10 pm
    Post #320 - November 11th, 2011, 12:10 pm Post #320 - November 11th, 2011, 12:10 pm
    For those of you attending the Anniversary Party, here is additional information to better budget your spending (via):
    Your Golden Ticket will have four punches good for beer samples. Each ticket is good for a three bottle allotment. Each bottle of XV stout is $30. Cash Only. ATMs will be on premises.

In addition to XV, we will be selling very limited quantities of barrel aged beers and sour beers specially bottled for our party.
    A Limited amount of Barrel Aged Dark Lord from April will be on sale.
    Cuvee De Viking -wine barrel aged RooGoop.
    SoBro -a softly soured brown ale.
    Biggs’ ‘Stache -a golden colored sour with intense barnyard flavors and aromas as well as assertive tartness.
    Barrel Aged Owde Engwish Bahwey Whine.
    Conquistador de Muerte Porto -a version of Conquistador aged in Port Barrels.

First Come First Serve, one bottle per person. We will also have a small amount of barrel aged beers for sale on tap.

I wonder how much these additional bottles are going to run. $30/each, too?
    best,
    dan
  • Post #321 - November 11th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    Post #321 - November 11th, 2011, 1:08 pm Post #321 - November 11th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    danimalarkey wrote:For those of you attending the Anniversary Party, here is additional information to better budget your spending (via):
    Your Golden Ticket will have four punches good for beer samples. Each ticket is good for a three bottle allotment. Each bottle of XV stout is $30. Cash Only. ATMs will be on premises.

In addition to XV, we will be selling very limited quantities of barrel aged beers and sour beers specially bottled for our party.
    Biggs’ ‘Stache -a golden colored sour with intense barnyard flavors and aromas as well as assertive tartness.

First Come First Serve, one bottle per person. We will also have a small amount of barrel aged beers for sale on tap.

I would assume $30 or more for most of those. The Dark Lord variations were $50.
  • Post #322 - November 11th, 2011, 2:29 pm
    Post #322 - November 11th, 2011, 2:29 pm Post #322 - November 11th, 2011, 2:29 pm
    AdmVinyl wrote:
    danimalarkey wrote:For those of you attending the Anniversary Party, here is additional information to better budget your spending (via):

I would assume $30 or more for most of those. The Dark Lord variations were $50.

Duh - excellent point. And I even bought one of those bottles so one would imagine that I'd remember...
    best,
    dan
  • Post #323 - November 11th, 2011, 6:37 pm
    Post #323 - November 11th, 2011, 6:37 pm Post #323 - November 11th, 2011, 6:37 pm
    While driving home from work, I heard a commercial on WXRT for the Three Floyds anniversary party tomorrow -- I wonder if they didn't sell out all tickets?
  • Post #324 - November 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm
    Post #324 - November 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm Post #324 - November 12th, 2011, 10:15 pm
    This event ( the anniversary party) was so bad it was comical. We stood in line for four hours outside before we got to the point where we got inside the gate. It was then about another hour to get inside to purchase the beer. It was a complete cluster fuck. I have never seen such a poorly run event. If the weather had not cooperated I don't know what people would have done. There were only two food trucks inside the gates, each with about an hour wait. Got our beer and got the hell out of there. Can emphatically say I will never attend another event at three floyds.
  • Post #325 - November 13th, 2011, 9:08 am
    Post #325 - November 13th, 2011, 9:08 am Post #325 - November 13th, 2011, 9:08 am
    Agreed. We arrived early, which seemed to be key to not spending the whole day in line. Took us *only* a little over an hour to get through the gate and then another 40 minutes or so to buy beer. Even though the crowd was smaller than at Dark Lord Day, by not having timed beer purchases, they couldn't let folks in until there was room in the beer buying line. When we headed out to FOBAB around 5pm, the line to enter was still extremely long and the temperature was quickly decreasing.

The event highlight for me was the fun plate of food from Cleveland's Greenhouse Tavern. For $5, they served a plate of pig's head, blood sausage, cotechino, duck, bread, kraut, and a bevy of housemade condiments. Big Star, on the other hand, offered perfectly fine food plated by Paul Kahan, but the line was horrible and they (like Lillie's Q, which I didn't sample) closed down for a long time mid-event. It took about 45 minutes to get a few tacos. Yes, I realized it would have been faster to just drive back to Wicker Park for tacos.

The beers on offer is a whole other story. I'm no expert, but it sounded like a lot of folks were really disappointed in the offerings on tap. And the beers at FFF were a stark contrast with the beers at FOBAB, where so much was unusual or otherwise noteworthy.

Ronna
  • Post #326 - November 13th, 2011, 10:37 am
    Post #326 - November 13th, 2011, 10:37 am Post #326 - November 13th, 2011, 10:37 am
    We skipped it and drank a dark lord around the fire pit...
    I did not see what year it was but it had green wax?
  • Post #327 - November 13th, 2011, 11:53 am
    Post #327 - November 13th, 2011, 11:53 am Post #327 - November 13th, 2011, 11:53 am
    abolt wrote:This event ( the anniversary party) was so bad it was comical. We stood in line for four hours outside before we got to the point where we got inside the gate. It was then about another hour to get inside to purchase the beer. It was a complete cluster fuck. I have never seen such a poorly run event. If the weather had not cooperated I don't know what people would have done. There were only two food trucks inside the gates, each with about an hour wait. Got our beer and got the hell out of there. Can emphatically say I will never attend another event at three floyds.

I agree and was completely disappointed with how the event was run. My friend and I got there just after 3:30 and were in line back by the 3 semis. It took over 3 hours to get beer and by the time we were done there was no food left. I thought FFF had their act together with the way that DLD was run this year, but apparently not. This reminded me of 2010 DLD.

I guess I was mistakenly under the impression that the only way to get on their grounds was to have a ticket, but they were letting anyone in.
  • Post #328 - November 13th, 2011, 12:36 pm
    Post #328 - November 13th, 2011, 12:36 pm Post #328 - November 13th, 2011, 12:36 pm
    It's so odd, I had a totally different experience. We got there at 11am and when they opened the gates, it took us maybe 20 minutes to get in. No lines for the food, the tacos, bbq and the dish that REB described from the Greenhouse Tavern were all excellent. We had maybe a 30 minute wait in line to get our beer & we met some really cool people who had come in for the event from all over the country. We also got to try some rares that people had smuggled in and shared out in line, which was fun. Getting our beer was a breeze, and we really enjoyed the on-tap offerings.

That being said, the lines were crazy long to get in, so I can see how it could have been frustrating, but we had a really excellent day and I wouldn't hesitate to go again.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #329 - November 14th, 2011, 11:04 am
    Post #329 - November 14th, 2011, 11:04 am Post #329 - November 14th, 2011, 11:04 am
    I've heard a lot of good things from people who got there early. Sadly, I wasn't one of those.

A group of my friends showed up at 2, greeted by a really long line out the gate. They spent the next 4 hours in line. By the time they were out of line, all but the taco truck had stopped selling food - and the line for that seemed about an hour long - and many of the guest drafts had sold out.

After an hour of waiting in line, my friend's pregnant wife went home - and so he jumped back in line as we got there around 6. I only spent 90 minutes in line, but by the time I got there, all the special barrel-aged bottled beer was gone. The XV Anniversary stout (on tap) was out by the time we got out of line, Surly was nowhere to be found, and most of the other guests were down to 2 beers.

The best part of evening was definitely the Intelligentsia booth, for me. Espresso & Dark Lord are a natural pairing - and they had really nice collectible mugs.

The worst part: seeing the labels for the XV "Baller" stout. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/75188/?ba=mynie Definately not as pretty as their recent beers. It looks like a bad copy of a de Kooning painting.
  • Post #330 - February 13th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    Post #330 - February 13th, 2012, 4:26 pm Post #330 - February 13th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    Dark Lord Day 2012 details just got announced:
    www.3floyds.com wrote:Darklord Day 2012 will be on Saturday, April 28th. If you are planning on attending, we have a few suggestions (and some firm rules).

A ticket will be required for entry to Darklord Day. Please do not make travel plans until you have a ticket. Ticket sales will be announced soon.

Once again, the Munster Police Department will enforce traffic flow and loitering (again, no RVs will be allowed in the industrial Park).

Darklord Day is a 21 and over event.

Pets will not be permitted.

Coolers, furniture, tents, grills etc… will not be permitted. If you want to bring a couple beers to trade or sample, that’s great within reason.

Parking is not provided by the brewery. Please carpool and designate a driver.

Darklord day is cash only. ATMs will be available on site.

Please respect our town and neighbors. We want to continue to hold a safe and fun event in the years to come and we can only do it with your help.

Please follow us on our blog, Facebook or Twitter for the latest info as we release it.

Let the madness begin...
    "Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens..."
    - Wyatt Earp, Tombstone

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events