LTH Home

port clinton,oh.

port clinton,oh.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • port clinton,oh.

Post #1 - June 15th, 2010, 3:42 pm
    Post #1 - June 15th, 2010, 3:42 pm Post #1 - June 15th, 2010, 3:42 pm
    My Weekend in Port Clinton, Ohio
    First off, the reason for going is six clients were going to Put-In-Bay, Ohio which is an island off the coast of Ohio. I picked them up at 5AM thursday,on the northwest side (6-3-10). We arrived in Port Clinton before noon. Dropping my clients off at Jet Express Fairy Boat - 3 North Monroe Street.

So off to find some food. Jolly Roger Seafood House - 1737 Perry Street - Port Clington, Ohio. Ordered 1/2 grouper boat - 1 walleye sandwich - hughpuppies and a pepsi. The grouper (deep fried) was the seafood fix that I was looking for - very nice flavor. Hushpuppies were great with little onions inside. Sweet walleye sandwich was great also. The tarter sauce had a nice yellow tint to it - Great Stop

Heading west on Perry Street there is a nice public beach here with a park, a pavilion and picnic tables - looks like a nice sopt of stop later. Taking a right on Lake Shore Drive and going over a bridge and then a left into Drawbridge Marina - 247 Lake Shore Drive - Port Clinton, Ohio 43455 - 419-734-9999. I am going to book a spot(shore-nuf charters) on a "head boat" (40 person fishing boat) for Friday, 7am - $36.00 for a day on a boat on Lake Erie. Part of the fee covers your fishing license. Things you will need on the boat: fishing pole and tackle, small cooler (for pop, water, snacks, sandwiches, etc.) - you might need a big cooler for the car if you catch alot fish?
    It has been a long day so I am going to grab a quick dinner and call it a night.
    McCarthy Irish Pub - corner of Perry and Madison - had their shepard's pie and a bowl of chowder. There was not much going on, on a Thursday night (I was glad) up early for fishing.

Friday, (6-4-10), up about 5:30am to check in and buy live bait and ice. Once you have your ticket to get on the boat you can grab seat. Getting a good seat can be key on catching a fish? Seats are bench style with room for your small cooler, tackle box, and pole are all in arms reach. Today, there were about 20-25 people on board. Myself, I like the back or near back on the right side of the boatr. 7am and we are off to Lake Erie. I got a spot on the right back side next to a regular on the boat - 3 times a week. Sam, had headphones on and would sing (outloud) the songs that were playing - it must have been the 80's station. I caught some great fish that day. Three keeper walleye and some White Perch. I got off the boat about 2:15pm and took my fish over to the cleaning house. They will filet your catch for a small fee. I had about 15lbs before fileting. One of the walleye I caught was 7lbs and 26" long. They will also keep your fish on ice until you are ready to head home. A great day on the water. There is a Captain on the boat and a First Mate (First Mate works for tips). He will also help thoughout the trip - taking fish off if needed. So tip him well. They do work hard. Being in the sun and a little wind can make you tired - so off for a nap before going out to watch the "Hawks" game.
    I had asked the First Mate - Greg - for his recommendation on somewhere to watch the "Hawks" game - he suggested: Mr Ed's; it is just next door for the Drawbridge Marina. Mr Ed's is attached to Commodore Perry Inn & Suites. 255 W. Lake Shore Drive. So about 6:30pm I make my way to Mr. Ed's. I ordered southwest spring rolls to start and a bowl of french onion soup. The "Hawks" game starts and the place is packed with Chicago people to watch the game. At 9pm the Friday night band is starting to warm up - so it is getting loud - until one guy asked the manager if the band can hold off until after the game. So they did for an hour until the "Hawks" game was over. Cheers to the manager. Hawks lose (aw!)

Saturday, 6-5-10: breakfast at Travel's next to Jet Cypress - eggs and cornbeef hash, pancakes instead of toast. It is cool to watch the boats come and go and the drawbridge to up and back down.
    I was looking in a local paper for a place to go "Cheesehaven" - 4 miles east of Port Clinton, corner of Rte 163 and Rte 53. Great stop - picked up some smoked salmon and English Stilton Cheese & the JUG bbq sauce all outstanding. So heading back west on Rte 163 pass the public beach - I see a BBQ sign and a pit. So I pull in the parking lot to get a closer look. The truck has on the side Bar-B-Que Traveler. So I go and talk to the pit master. He has chicken and ribs going and the "cook" is for a fundraiser - for Port Clinton's Lion's Club. They are selling to go boxes. 1/2 slab spare ribs and 2 sides and a roll for $9 - chicken, 2 sides and a roll $8. So I gave him a $20 and donated the change to their cause. Ribs were spot on and the chick was great also - a great stop. Bar-B-Que Traveler - Pitts Family - 419-635-2050; 28 years of BBQ cooking. Time for a nap.

So what's for dinner? I go to Mr. Ed's and ask a few people who has the best pizza - consenus say Bell Mell on Fulton St. & 3rd st. - 419-732-7337. So I walk 1 1/2 miles to Bell Mell's. You can eat there in the lounge or restaurant side. For the area this is the best pizza. I tried 2 others in the area and this was a great stop.

So.... trip highlights for me is seafood at "Jolly Rogers Fishing" at Drawbridge Marina and Bell Mell's for pizza. Bar-B-Que Traveler - for BBQ and Mr. Ed's for sports bar and restaurant.

Thanks to the Pitt Family; Michelle and Ashley at Mr. Ed's and Greg from the charter boat (shore-nuf.com).

Sunday, 6-6-10: Slept in and picked up the crew at 9:45 am and headed home.
    pic s are here
    http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... s-_-Sharer
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #2 - June 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    Post #2 - June 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm Post #2 - June 15th, 2010, 10:38 pm
    philw wrote:I was looking in a local paper for a place to go

Hi phil,

Thanks for the trip report.

I am a fan of reading local newspapers when out of town, too. The more local the better, because you get a flavor of the town. I scan first for local events hoping there may be something that may offer a speciality food or community meal. I look through restaurant and grocery advertisements. I reading obits, birth and wedding announcements.

I scan want ads and other paid announcements for anything that catches my eye. I once bought some asparagus root balls from a farmer who threw in a tour of his farm. My nieces enjoyed his version of a hayride. He stopped in the middle of the field to allow us to pick a few ears of corn to eat immediately. I stopped short from buying the cornphone shaped like an ear of corn.

If I take these newspapers with me a read them later, it's like a curse. I always find something I might have wanted to follow up on, if only I knew earlier.

Sounds like you had a nice trip.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - June 16th, 2010, 6:13 pm
    Post #3 - June 16th, 2010, 6:13 pm Post #3 - June 16th, 2010, 6:13 pm
    thanks cathy, it was fun
  • Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 7:58 am
    Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 7:58 am Post #4 - June 17th, 2010, 7:58 am
    Hey Phil, it sounds like you have a great job! :D
  • Post #5 - February 8th, 2011, 7:33 am
    Post #5 - February 8th, 2011, 7:33 am Post #5 - February 8th, 2011, 7:33 am
    yesterday afternoon went to the port clinton area of oh.
    wanted to stop at jolly rodgers fish house but they where still closed for season 'opening next week.
    so went to bell mell's tavern pizza
    got sausage & garlic on it .
    :mrgreen: good pie
  • Post #6 - May 16th, 2011, 5:47 am
    Post #6 - May 16th, 2011, 5:47 am Post #6 - May 16th, 2011, 5:47 am
    i was back in port clinton,oh. this past weekend
    hit a few new spots plus some old ones
    will post some new ones soon
  • Post #7 - May 17th, 2011, 11:05 am
    Post #7 - May 17th, 2011, 11:05 am Post #7 - May 17th, 2011, 11:05 am
    Phil, Where id you stay? We are thinking of going up later this week for birding.
  • Post #8 - May 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm
    Post #8 - May 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm Post #8 - May 17th, 2011, 4:42 pm
    commodore perry inn
    255 West Lakeshore Drive, Port Clinton, OH 43452
    it was ok . i would stay again.

places to hit in port clinton.
    coffee express
    ala carte cafe
    bell mell pizza
    more to come
  • Post #9 - May 20th, 2011, 4:50 am
    Post #9 - May 20th, 2011, 4:50 am Post #9 - May 20th, 2011, 4:50 am
    best coffee around port clinton,oh. is @ coffee express
    also grerat sweet stuff hugh cookies that are great had a snikerdoodle.

cooffee express
    128 w 2nd st
    419-734-2089
  • Post #10 - May 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm
    Post #10 - May 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm Post #10 - May 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm
    Highlight of the trip for my wife (beyond 10 new birds in a few hours) was Jolly Roger for a fried perch sandwich... Thanks for the heads up
  • Post #11 - May 9th, 2013, 10:39 am
    Post #11 - May 9th, 2013, 10:39 am Post #11 - May 9th, 2013, 10:39 am
    Back from a Roundabout road trip to Toronto which took us thru Ohio and into Buffalo on day one. The first of many food stops was the longtime Roadfood favorite Jolly Roger Seafood House in Port Clinton. Having never been to neither I chose it over New Sandusky Fish Company which was also en route. If I had my choice we would of done both but I'm sure there will be another time.

Waiting for my order...they do an excellent breading/frying job here

It was just me and her so we decided to split both a lake perch and walleye sandwich. I made one a meal and upgraded to their onion rings and got a side of fresh fried 'shrooms too. The menu isn't big and thus what they do, they do right. The onion rings and mushrooms were both excellent examples and the sandwiches were too. I preferred the lake perch which was so simple it would seem anyone can make them like this but I never had a (Great Lakes) fish sandwich so good. Perfectly fried fresh filets between a soft locally sourced bun with their homemade tarter sauce was all that was needed. Roadfood at it's finest.

Lake Perch Sandwich plate with Onion Rings

Walleye Sandwich

Jolly Roger Seafood House
    1737 E Perry St
    Port Clinton, OH 43452
    (419) 732-3382
  • Post #12 - July 29th, 2013, 8:49 am
    Post #12 - July 29th, 2013, 8:49 am Post #12 - July 29th, 2013, 8:49 am
    Da Beef wrote:Back from a Roundabout road trip to Toronto which took us thru Ohio and into Buffalo on day one. The first of many food stops was the longtime Roadfood favorite Jolly Roger Seafood House in Port Clinton. Having never been to neither I chose it over New Sandusky Fish Company which was also en route. If I had my choice we would of done both but I'm sure there will be another time.

ever since I saw the picture of the window of this place and the perch sandwich it has been in the back of my mind, thinking if I got that far east I had to visit and get one. Had the chance. Port Clinton is maybe an hour from Detroits. The last part of it not on the Interstate which is nice.

Jolly Rogers was packed... think it was about 3 p.m., Behind that glass is a neat breading "machine" all the seafood goes through. Each piece is hand dipped then put on a conveyor that breads the fish or shrimp and then it is fried.

Went with a perch sandwich and 1/2 dozen shrimps. Perch sandwich was one of the best i have tasted in the pat few months, shrimps were good.

Perch sandwich:

• Post #13 - July 29th, 2013, 8:50 am
    Post #13 - July 29th, 2013, 8:50 am Post #13 - July 29th, 2013, 8:50 am
    jimswside wrote:
    Da Beef wrote:Back from a Roundabout road trip to Toronto which took us thru Ohio and into Buffalo on day one. The first of many food stops was the longtime Roadfood favorite Jolly Roger Seafood House in Port Clinton. Having never been to neither I chose it over New Sandusky Fish Company which was also en route. If I had my choice we would of done both but I'm sure there will be another time.

ever since I saw the picture of the window of this place and the perch sandwich it has been in the back of my mind, thinking if I got that far east I had to visit and get one. Had the chance. Port Clinton is maybe an hour from Detroits. The last part of it not on the Interstate which is nice. Gonna be back here next week Im pretty sure.

Jolly Rogers was packed... think it was about 3 p.m., Behind that glass is a neat breading "machine" all the seafood goes through. Each piece is hand dipped then put on a conveyor that breads the fish or shrimp and then it is fried.

Went with a perch sandwich and 1/2 dozen shrimps. Perch sandwich was one of the best i have tasted in the pat few months, shrimps were good.

Perch sandwich:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more