LTH Home

Dinner at Little Three Happiness Thursday 3/4/10-Past Event

Dinner at Little Three Happiness Thursday 3/4/10-Past Event
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - March 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm
    Post #61 - March 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm Post #61 - March 3rd, 2010, 3:18 pm
    So who's starting the plans for the following week? Let's make it happen! :D
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

-Mark Twain
  • Post #62 - March 4th, 2010, 11:23 am
    Post #62 - March 4th, 2010, 11:23 am Post #62 - March 4th, 2010, 11:23 am
    There has been a slight hiccup in our plans. LTH is having a hard time locating suitable blue crabs for the dry-stir fried crab with ginger and scallion. In the event they are unable to come up with the crabs, we're going to substitute squid with sour greens and stuffed tofu casserole as replacement dishes. It will be a game time call by the restaurant and will add a bit of excitement and speculation to our dinner. It shouldn't affect the price one way or the other. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tonight.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #63 - March 4th, 2010, 11:29 am
    Post #63 - March 4th, 2010, 11:29 am Post #63 - March 4th, 2010, 11:29 am
    Happy to be in their capable hands (and HUNGRY already !!!)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #64 - March 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm
    Post #64 - March 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm Post #64 - March 4th, 2010, 4:52 pm
    I'm very, very sorry. Talk about caught between rock and a hard place. I need to give up husband's spot. Work just roared in.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #65 - March 4th, 2010, 4:56 pm
    Post #65 - March 4th, 2010, 4:56 pm Post #65 - March 4th, 2010, 4:56 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I'm very, very sorry. Talk about caught between rock and a hard place. I need to give up husband's spot. Work just roared in.

All three of you or just your husband?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - March 4th, 2010, 5:27 pm
    Post #66 - March 4th, 2010, 5:27 pm Post #66 - March 4th, 2010, 5:27 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:I'm very, very sorry. Talk about caught between rock and a hard place. I need to give up husband's spot. Work just roared in.

Look to Gary / Steve for directions on the next waitlist spot - this notice comes too late for me.
  • Post #67 - March 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm
    Post #67 - March 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm Post #67 - March 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm
    I'm ready to head to LTH if I am selected but I need to know by 6:30.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #68 - March 4th, 2010, 5:37 pm
    Post #68 - March 4th, 2010, 5:37 pm Post #68 - March 4th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear that (both you and Santander). mbh, you're in.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #69 - March 4th, 2010, 5:39 pm
    Post #69 - March 4th, 2010, 5:39 pm Post #69 - March 4th, 2010, 5:39 pm
    Santander wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

Look to Gary / Steve for directions on the next waitlist spot - this notice comes too late for me.

Extra sorry about such short notice. I hope you & family are well. See you soon?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

• Post #70 - March 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm
    Post #70 - March 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm Post #70 - March 4th, 2010, 10:29 pm
    I wonder if I can ever attend an LTH event & not feel stuffed at the conclusion.

Once again, good times, good conversation, & fabulous food.

Thanks SteveZ & GWiv for doing it.

This was a great idea. Since I'm making a conscious effort to visit more GNR's there's nothing more enticing than organizing an event at a GNR. I've seen this done in the past and I certainly hope there will be more LTH events at GNR's in the near future.
    Last edited by pairs4life on March 5th, 2010, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Post #71 - March 4th, 2010, 11:38 pm
    Post #71 - March 4th, 2010, 11:38 pm Post #71 - March 4th, 2010, 11:38 pm
    pairs4life wrote:Extra sorry about such short notice. I hope you & family are well. See you soon?

No problem - I hope your husband's spot was filled (and then filled again by the food!). I made other plans at about 4 PM, but will look forward to the report, and would be all over a revisit. I had been lucky enough to visit the flagship with Gary a few years ago and am glad many more have had the opportunity. Looking forward to the report.
  • Post #72 - March 5th, 2010, 7:26 am
    Post #72 - March 5th, 2010, 7:26 am Post #72 - March 5th, 2010, 7:26 am
    Great evening, great menu, really lived up to my expectations.

From the pre dinner drinks with folks @ Bertucci's to the great food and conversation @ LTH I had a blast last night, thanks to Steve & Gary for organizing, the menu, and the chili oil.

My favorite dishes:
    Chow fun noodles w/ duck & bbq pork
    clams - evil ronnie style
    short ribs - Steve Z style
  • Post #73 - March 5th, 2010, 8:09 am
    Post #73 - March 5th, 2010, 8:09 am Post #73 - March 5th, 2010, 8:09 am
    It was a great turnout for the Blowout Dinner at LTH last night. Thanks to everyone who came out and especially to G Wiv for making the chili oil (there's a fresh batch at the restaurant free for the asking, while supplies last) and to petite gourmand for printing out the beautiful visual guides. I think LTH did themselves proud last night.

Without further ado, here's a pictorial of last night's dinner. Apologies in advance for some of the pictures. At one point, the dishes were coming out so fast and furious, that I had a hard time photographing everything in the way I would have liked.

Two Tables of LTHers Wait in Anticipation

An Interesting Bottle of Pomelo Wine

Chili Oil? Check!

Shrimp Toast

Guo Teh (Potstickers)

Crispy Skin Chicken W/Shrimp Crackers and Dipping Salt

Clams In Black Bean Sauce Evil Ronnie Style

Crispy Pan Fried Rice Noodles W/Duck and Pork

Ong Choi W/ Fu Ye

Pork Fried Rice

Beef Short Ribs w/XO sauce Steve Z (Dry) Style

Salt & Pepper Shrimp

Stir Fried Crabs W/Ginger & Scallion

Pea Pod Leaf W/Garlic

Szechuan String Beans

Happy Campers

Raymond (Our Host) and Steve Z

This was a very popular event and there were a number of people on the waiting list that didn't get a chance to join us. I wish there had been more room, but LTH is a small place and it just couldn't work out. For anyone who is interested, I'll be planning another blowout dinner in the next couple of months. In the meantime, I encourage everyone to head to LTH for some great food.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #74 - March 5th, 2010, 8:26 am
    Post #74 - March 5th, 2010, 8:26 am Post #74 - March 5th, 2010, 8:26 am
    A huge thanks to Steve Z for organizing. I learned last night that Steve Z and GWiv discovered LTH independently and both have been regular customers for over 20 years. It's no wonder they know exactly what to order and how to order it!
  • Post #75 - March 5th, 2010, 8:52 am
    Post #75 - March 5th, 2010, 8:52 am Post #75 - March 5th, 2010, 8:52 am
    The food looks absolutely fantastic. Those clams especially caught my attention sitting atop those wonderful looking noodles. I'm curious though. What makes the clams "Evil Ronnie style"?
  • Post #76 - March 5th, 2010, 8:56 am
    Post #76 - March 5th, 2010, 8:56 am Post #76 - March 5th, 2010, 8:56 am
    I really look high in that last picture.

Thanks from me too, that was a really delicious night. It was fun meeting some new folks and trying such a varied buffet! Mr. Pie is reaping the benefits of leftover fried rice and crispy chicken for lunch.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #77 - March 5th, 2010, 9:03 am
    Post #77 - March 5th, 2010, 9:03 am Post #77 - March 5th, 2010, 9:03 am
    Wow, what a meal. made better by the wonderful company. I'm still full and thinking about how lucky I was to get the last minute opening. Thank you Stevez and Gary for both the organizing and the wonderful chile oil. LTH sent out the most amazing food and Raymond really had things organized. It was like one of those clown cars every time the kitchen door opened another platter of food was on it's was to us. My favorites were:

1) The salt and pepper shrimp, light, but flavorful coating, perfectly cooked, I ate more of these than I should have.

2) The clams with black bean sauce Evil Ronnie style, the sauce did not overpower the clams and the noodles were perfectly chewy with lots of jalapenos.

3) The stir fried crabs with ginger and scallion, perfectly cooked, great flavor, wonderfully messy. These would be higher, but they came out last and I had hit my food wall by then. I bravely kept going though. :P

3) Crispy pan fried noodles with duck and pork. I'm still thinking about those noodles, what amazing flavor, chewy and rich complimenting the pork and duck.

I also have to give a shout out for the shrimp toast, it's something I never order as I've never had a good version, but these were actually wonderful. They're going to be my new guilty pleasure up there with pork rinds.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #78 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am
    Post #78 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am Post #78 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am
    Steve and Gary - well done. LTH was on last pm and showed why they're worthy of naming the forum after. Excellent meal and excellent company all around with a new dish (for me) in the line up, beef short ribs ala Steve Z. Most excellent. I couldn't stop eating them and probably had 4 servings besides everything else. And I'll pose this question. What doesn't benefit from the addition of Wiv's chili oil?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #79 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am
    Post #79 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am Post #79 - March 5th, 2010, 10:08 am
    Pie Lady wrote:I really look high in that last picture.

I was thinking you look satisfied. :wink:
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #80 - March 5th, 2010, 10:23 am
    Post #80 - March 5th, 2010, 10:23 am Post #80 - March 5th, 2010, 10:23 am
    I really was. I was stuffed like it was Second Thanksgiving. Every dish was super tasty, and I think I'll be back very soon for an entire tray of shrimp toast just for me. And, shockingly, I even loved the coconut jello thing they brought out last and the potstickers were pretty good too (they're usually not my bag). The only thing I didn't try were the shrimp. Their eyes were too expressive. Can't wait til the next GNR event!

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #81 - March 5th, 2010, 10:42 am
    Post #81 - March 5th, 2010, 10:42 am Post #81 - March 5th, 2010, 10:42 am
    My wife and I were very happy with our first visit to LTH thanks to Steve's wonderful menu selections and GWiv's excellent chili oil. Count both of us among those who loved the crispy pan fried noodles with duck and pork. I also need to single out the shrimp toast, as like mbh I rarely ever order it since I haven't particularly enjoyed it anywhere prior to last night.

Thanks again for a great evening!
  • Post #82 - March 5th, 2010, 10:50 am
    Post #82 - March 5th, 2010, 10:50 am Post #82 - March 5th, 2010, 10:50 am
    Pie Lady wrote:The only thing I didn't try were the shrimp. Their eyes were too expressive.

FYI, when you go back, the shrimp can be ordered headless (or even shelless, though I don't recommend ordering tham without the shells).
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #83 - March 5th, 2010, 11:17 am
    Post #83 - March 5th, 2010, 11:17 am Post #83 - March 5th, 2010, 11:17 am
    Sigh....thanks for the photos and narrative stevez. It is so ideal when going with a group. You get to taste so much more! Someday!!!!
  • Post #84 - March 5th, 2010, 11:18 am
    Post #84 - March 5th, 2010, 11:18 am Post #84 - March 5th, 2010, 11:18 am
    stevez wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:The only thing I didn't try were the shrimp. Their eyes were too expressive.

FYI, when you go back, the shrimp can be ordered headless (or even shelless, though I don't recommend ordering tham without the shells).

I usually eat the head and most of the shrimp body in one bite. The head is fatty and tasty.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #85 - March 5th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Post #85 - March 5th, 2010, 11:26 am Post #85 - March 5th, 2010, 11:26 am
    Hi,

I once bit into a whole salt and pepper shrimp with plenty of eggs inside just bursting to get out. Those eggs shot out showering everyone at the table. It wasn't my fault, though it was quite embarassing.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #86 - March 5th, 2010, 11:33 am
    Post #86 - March 5th, 2010, 11:33 am Post #86 - March 5th, 2010, 11:33 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I once bit into a whole salt and pepper shrimp with plenty of eggs inside just bursting to get out. Those eggs shot out showering everyone at the table. It wasn't my fault, though it was quite embarassing.

Sorry stevez, this post cemented my stance! More whole shrimp for everyone else. :lol:

I write stuff.
  • Post #87 - March 5th, 2010, 11:50 am
    Post #87 - March 5th, 2010, 11:50 am Post #87 - March 5th, 2010, 11:50 am
    Jazzfood wrote:What doesn't benefit from the addition of Wiv's chili oil?

Hell, I even keep a jar on my nightstand. :D :P

Seriously, though, it looks like it was a great night. I'm very sorry to have missed it.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #88 - March 5th, 2010, 11:57 am
    Post #88 - March 5th, 2010, 11:57 am Post #88 - March 5th, 2010, 11:57 am
    I bow in appreciation for being included in this wonderful food experience. I've been to LTH several times and always enjoyed but this was truly next level eating! My faves were the shrimp toast, clams, spinach and shortribs--and I'd put that chili oil on ice cream it's so tasty! My only other comment is that thanks to Steve's all too perfect photos, I definitely am reminded that it's time to pay my colorist a vist :mrgreen: Thanks for that and for the wonderful ordering/organizing!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #89 - March 5th, 2010, 11:07 pm
    Post #89 - March 5th, 2010, 11:07 pm Post #89 - March 5th, 2010, 11:07 pm
    LTH,

'Little' Three Happiness was hitting on all 8-Cylinders Thursday. Good as the food was the company and conversation even better, as happens when LTHers get together.

Far as shrimp toast goes, yes its an American Chinese food cliche, and often poorly done, the perfectly executed version at 'Little' Three Happiness shows why it became popular in the first place.

Thanks to Steve Z for arranging and posting the mouth watering pictures of our meal.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #90 - March 6th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Post #90 - March 6th, 2010, 9:28 am Post #90 - March 6th, 2010, 9:28 am
    Congrats Pie Lady on the banner quote and thanks for allowing me to eat you share of shrimp, head and all.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more