LTH Home

Lockdown Bar & Grill

Lockdown Bar & Grill
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Lockdown Bar & Grill

Post #1 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 am
    Post #1 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 am Post #1 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:03 am
    Any feedback on this place yet. Open about a month now.

Looks kind of interesting to me a fan of music and concerts. Food looks interesting as well(as far as basic pub food goes), especially the "cruelty to animals" burger among other things.

Lockdown Bar & Grill
    1024 N Western Ave
    Chicago IL, 60622
    773-451-5625
    http://www.lockdownbar.com
  • Post #2 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am
    Post #2 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am Post #2 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:20 am
    I ate there a few weeks and and thoroughly enjoyed my burger. On first glance, walking into the place, I grimaced at the sight of what must have been 20 televisions. When I learned that they were showing concert videos in their entirety and not ESPN crap highlights ad nauseum (my arch nemesis and definition of satanic evil), I was very relieved. Looking at their "concert" schedule, I wasn't too impressed with the bands, but that's just a matter of personal choice. They did have Rage Against the Machine and Nirvana on the lineup, which isn't bad at all, but they could definitely use some more, ahem, diverse music. How bout some James Brown, Parliament, some blues?

Anyways, the owner seemed really open to suggestions regarding the concerts he'll play, and I even got him to throw on BB King Live in Africa, the only blues dvd he had in his collection.

As for the food, it was pretty damn good. The prison theme is a bit kitchy, but my burger was cooked a perfect medium-well and was topped with sweet sauteed onions and spicy jalapenos. The house-cut fries were good, not perfect, but well above what you get at most burger/bar joints.

For people who like metal and heavy alt-rock, as well as a decent burger, its a great place to go.

Full disclosure, my best friend is friends with the dude that opened this place.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #3 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:23 am
    Post #3 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:23 am Post #3 - February 23rd, 2010, 10:23 am
    interesting, sounds like it could be ok.

thanks for the report.
  • Post #4 - February 28th, 2010, 10:24 pm
    Post #4 - February 28th, 2010, 10:24 pm Post #4 - February 28th, 2010, 10:24 pm
    Stopped in tonight to find very reasonably priced beer, with a few specials (Gumballhead for $3.25), and some good burgers (tomorrow they're expanding the menu from around 6 to around 13 burgers).

Despite the hideous name, the menu description of "Cruelty to Animals" sounded good, so I had one, and it was much tastier than it looks in this picture.

There's bacon, chorizo and prosciutto on top, and the pretzel bun (not indicated on menu) was a very pleasant surprise. Mac n' cheese not so good; fries excellent.

Lockdown is a more worthy location than the name might suggest, though with a flat screen for every two or three patrons, it's rather noisy (thank goodness the concert we had for dinner was Nirvana Unplugged).
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #5 - March 1st, 2010, 8:38 am
    Post #5 - March 1st, 2010, 8:38 am Post #5 - March 1st, 2010, 8:38 am
    We were there Saturday night. We didn't try any of the specialty burgers. Hubby had a burger with grilled onions, I had a cheese burger. They were outstanding. Cooked perfectly medium rare, super juicy, fresh pretzel bun, with arugula instead of lettuce. I could only finish half and even reheated the next day, the burger was awesome. Fresh cut fries were crispy and tasty. Gumballhead in a frosty mason jar was refreshing. The staff were very friendly, and the service was great. I really enjoyed the vibe there, despite the goofy prison theme and will definitely be back. Prices were very reasonable as well.
    LO
  • Post #6 - March 1st, 2010, 9:01 am
    Post #6 - March 1st, 2010, 9:01 am Post #6 - March 1st, 2010, 9:01 am
    LO wrote:We were there Saturday night. We didn't try any of the specialty burgers. Hubby had a burger with grilled onions, I had a cheese burger. They were outstanding. Cooked perfectly medium rare, super juicy, fresh pretzel bun, with arugula instead of lettuce. I could only finish half and even reheated the next day, the burger was awesome. Fresh cut fries were crispy and tasty. Gumballhead in a frosty mason jar was refreshing. The staff were very friendly, and the service was great. I really enjoyed the vibe there, despite the goofy prison theme and will definitely be back. Prices were very reasonable as well.
    LO

Fully agreed; arugula was a nice touch, as were frosty jars. About decor, well, I was reminded of Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride, not the movie).
  • Post #7 - March 1st, 2010, 9:49 am
    Post #7 - March 1st, 2010, 9:49 am Post #7 - March 1st, 2010, 9:49 am
    thanks for the feedback, always nice to have another option in he city for a burger and Gumball Head.
  • Post #8 - March 1st, 2010, 12:27 pm
    Post #8 - March 1st, 2010, 12:27 pm Post #8 - March 1st, 2010, 12:27 pm
    I went to the Lockdown last week and I left with mixed feelings. Fantastic hand cut fries served fresh out of the fryer – best part of the meal. Decent beer selection – I went with Trois Pistoles. The prison theme seemed very fake/forced/over the top when compared to the legit metal bar atmosphere that is Kuma’s – or maybe I should say that was Kuma’s at its inception. I draw this comparison because it seems like Lockdown is trying to copy Kuma’s on many levels – metal, big over-topped burgers on pretzel rolls, mac and cheese, etc.

As for the burger, I ordered the “Arson” cooked medium. I usually order medium-rare at places where I am comfortable with the amount of beef turned over and/or the sourcing of the beef (e.g. Rootstock and Kuma’s and others). Lockdown might later fall into that category for me after repeat visits, but it was medium for me on my Maiden visit. My burger came out clearly well-done. I was hungry and not in the complaining mood so I just chalked it up to new kitchen and ate the burger. Obligatory pretzel roll was good, as was the cheese. There was supposed to be a spicy sauce on the burger (hence the name Arson), but I didn’t notice any such sauce. All the toppings – diced jalapeños, pickles, arugula, tomato – were very fresh and served on the side in “build your own” fashion.

I didn’t mind all the “concert televisions” at Lockdown because I knew what to expect going in due to the reports here. Iron Maiden was the concert on tap the night I went. No doubt, there will be certain nights that I just won’t go to Lockdown because I won’t be in the mood for a televised concert. However, I could see myself going and enjoying watching certain shows while grabbing a burger and beers.

I will certainly make a return visit – it is only 5 minutes from my place and I know that I will be able to sit, eat, and drink without the potential of an hour long, or more, wait a la Kuma’s. Others here have reported burgers cooked to specification, so maybe the overcooking of mine was a one-off experience. I hope a return visit proves that true.
  • Post #9 - March 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm
    Post #9 - March 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm Post #9 - March 1st, 2010, 11:05 pm
    Five minute walk from my place too - protip: I went before the, uh, "concerts" began and thoroughly enjoyed my dinner. My burger (cheddar, bacon, jalapeno) was cooked perfectly, fries were good, draft beer poured in a mason jar until I moved to Bell's bottles. Friendly help, no laser lights or smoke machine as I've read on Y**p. I wish them well, but not so much that I've gotta wait for a seat, if you get my drift?
  • Post #10 - March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm
    Post #10 - March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm Post #10 - March 2nd, 2010, 10:46 pm
    I was very happy to find out lockdown is now open for lunch and since my 1st visit they have added 9 new burgers and my gf was thrilled they have a couple new veggie sandwiches. I went with a Citizens arrest and chose chicken instead of a burger to not be so full to go back to work, too bad I enjoyed a fried wonton desert but it was really good. I am planning on going back Sunday for a hangover burger and bloody Mary.

Awesome to have a new place in the neighborhood. The chef came out and said hello and mentioned they were going to be delivering soon.

New menu items are on the site
    www.lockdownbar.com
  • Post #11 - March 4th, 2010, 12:23 am
    Post #11 - March 4th, 2010, 12:23 am Post #11 - March 4th, 2010, 12:23 am
    Cool piece on NBC
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/around-town/f ... 60957.html
  • Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 6:08 pm
    Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 6:08 pm Post #12 - March 4th, 2010, 6:08 pm
    I was "sick" today, so I walked across Western and had a late lunch at Lockdown. Overall it was pretty good, I had the following:

Barb 'd wire -- French Frys w/ four cheese sauce, chorizo, and green onions on top.

Burger w/ cheddar, apple smoked bacon, and BBQ sauce.

The Barb 'd wire was excellent, fries were really good and fresh, cheese sauce was good, and it was enough that I probably shouldn't have had the burger. The burger was good too, cooked to order and all of the toppings added to the burger without overwhelming it. If anything was wrong the bun may have been a little too big, and the burger, while cooked correctly on the inside, seemed a little crispy on the outside.

Beer selection was solid, but nothing I can't get at other places in the neighborhood.

Overall a good addition to the neighborhood, is it Kuma's? No, but it is a hell of alot closer, and I haven't been to Kuma's in 18 months or so anyway.

I wish them luck.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #13 - March 4th, 2010, 10:45 pm
    Post #13 - March 4th, 2010, 10:45 pm Post #13 - March 4th, 2010, 10:45 pm
    ^^^just the kind of sick day I like.
  • Post #14 - March 7th, 2010, 11:36 am
    Post #14 - March 7th, 2010, 11:36 am Post #14 - March 7th, 2010, 11:36 am
    DH and I had a tasty dinner at Lockdown last night.
    Very nice staff. They are clearly trying very hard to be friendly and attentive which I appreciated.
    They give you a basket of pretzels with some sort of dipping sauce. It was tasty.

We both had burgers. General thoughts about the burgers...
    The bun was a nice pretzel bun. The beef was of good quality. Seemed hand-formed. Large burger---10 oz of beef. Neither of us even thought about finishing them.

DH had the Bootleg burger and fries. The bootleg has bacon (which he said was great) a fried egg and kimchi. The biggest gripe was that it was really salty. I think the combo of the bacon and kimchi gave it the salt issue, and not the burger itself or the bun because I had no salt issues. The fries were great and they give you a ton of them with your burger. DH thought the beers were reasonably priced.

I had the Border Patrol and mac and cheese. I thought it was tasty, but it was a big mess. It was pretty much nachos (tortilla chips, tomatoes, jalapenos and cheese sauce) on top of a hamburger. Two of my favorite foods combined into one is not a bad thing per se....but I felt like I was just covered in cheese sauce and making a huge mess of myself in public. It was quite good though. I really enjoyed the mac and cheese. It was creamy, had a good cheddar cheese flavor to it and just a little crunch on the top.

The atmosphere is a bit odd. The Disney-does-prison decor is amusing, you need to just take it for what it is. Our problem was with the music. Now we knew going into it exactly what it was (a virtual heavy metal concert venue) but we had hoped that MAYBE the music wouldn't be TOO loud. Well it wasn't too loud when we got there because the night's virtual Megadeath concert hadn't started yet, but by the time we were done it had. Rather than stay there for a couple more drinks we left and got our beers at High Dive because it was just too loud to talk. From what we observed most tables were eating and just high-tailing it out. I think that is due to the music, which is too bad because it could be a nice neighborhood place.
    I definitely liked the food and I will go back. Thankfully they do list their "concerts" on their website so we will plan to go on a night when they are playing something a little more to our liking.
  • Post #15 - March 7th, 2010, 11:39 am
    Post #15 - March 7th, 2010, 11:39 am Post #15 - March 7th, 2010, 11:39 am
    Oops sorry, one more thing I forgot to mention, both of our burgers were cooked perfectly to order--Medium Rare.
    For me, a good burger place has to be able to cook a burger properly, as ordered.
  • Post #16 - May 6th, 2010, 10:45 pm
    Post #16 - May 6th, 2010, 10:45 pm Post #16 - May 6th, 2010, 10:45 pm
    Went to dinner there tonight, have to say mediocre. Went early before they really started blasting the music. They were playing a Three Doors Down concert. There's a million really, really good concert videos out there, why play mediocre garbage? Service was very good. Perky, attentive, she advised us to get our order in before the nine in the back really slowed things down. Good beer selection. Gumballhead made me happy. Ordered the Punk Bitch (with prosciutto, garlic mustard cream sauce and swiss cheese) and the mac and cheese the server said was "phenomenal". Food came fast, probably within ten minutes. They're using the exact same burger and the exact same pretzel roll as Kuma's which are both very good. Burger was cooked to a perfect medium rare. Toppings though were poor, both in execution and quality. Realized now it was missing the garlic mustard cream sauce. Mac and Cheese wasn't very good: pasta overcooked and the cheese sauce lacking any flavor.

Overall the burger is a good burger and was cooked to order. The atmosphere is neat with all the tv's and the "live concert" angle. They would of been better off though just being a burger and a beer joint. Copying someone brings comparisons and Lockdown doesn't touch Kuma's. Kuma's has a trained chef in the kitchen who cares about ingredients, combinations, and flavor profiles. This place unfortunately does not.

I'm sure I'll be back, good friends live down the block and it is very convenient for not having to walk very far but next time I'll probably just stick to a burger with cheese and fries and I think I'll be content.
  • Post #17 - January 11th, 2011, 6:18 pm
    Post #17 - January 11th, 2011, 6:18 pm Post #17 - January 11th, 2011, 6:18 pm
    I was hibernating today, and a giant fatty burger seemed appropriate for an early dinner. The Lockdown Warden impressed me--their Angus patty infused with bacon, leeks, garlic and shallots, stuffed with Merkts, topped with fried leeks and shallots tossed in truffle oil. Cooked to the suggested medium, the burger had a respectable amount of char on the outside, which I thought helped keep the other flavors in check. The aroma of garlic was very strong when I unpacked my order at home but fortunately didn't overwhelm the burger. Actually, the leeks held their own, and I was grateful for the (albeit fried) greenery.

Even taking into account the ten-minute walk back to my house after picking up my food, the handcut fries were very, very soggy. But the burger was so good that I didn't care--on par with any burger I've had at Kuma's. Unfortunately, Lockdown with its thirteen flatscreens and blaring music makes even late-night Kuma's at its scene-iest seem like an ashram. I'll continue to watch the glow of Lockdown's televisions from across the street when I go to and from the Empty Bottle, except now I'll occasionally cross Western to take home a burger.
  • Post #18 - January 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm
    Post #18 - January 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm Post #18 - January 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:Even taking into account the ten-minute walk back to my house after picking up my food, the handcut fries were very, very soggy.

I became quite the regular there this fall (especially on half priced burger Tuesdays!) and more often than not, their fires are undercooked. I always ask for them well-done when I order.
  • Post #19 - January 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm
    Post #19 - January 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm Post #19 - January 11th, 2011, 11:38 pm
    ziggy wrote: their fires are undercooked. I always ask for them well-done when I order.

I frequently forget to ask for fries "crispy," but it seems one should always ask for that.
  • Post #20 - January 11th, 2011, 11:43 pm
    Post #20 - January 11th, 2011, 11:43 pm Post #20 - January 11th, 2011, 11:43 pm
    I was there last week and was pleasantly surprised at how good the burgers were. I had friends in from out of town playing at the Empty Bottle, sound check ran late, so we missed our Andrzej Grill window but didn't have time to wander too far afield. Pressed for time, we decided to give Lockdown a shot. We wound up at the only table away from the door, back by the kitchen door, which gave us an opportunity to catch glimpses of the kitchen in action. I have to agree with other posters, the room isn't very comfortable, but the staff is incredibly friendly and made our visit very pleasant. BTW, if you use Foursquare, you get a free beer or a shot when you check in, which is a generous offer.

I had a Bootleg burger, ordered and delivered medium rare, with a side of bacon/green onion mac and cheese. I really enjoyed the egg/kimchee combo, a very nice balance of fat and bite. I've had more impressive mac and cheese around town, but this was a very solid version and I'd certainly try it again. I particularly liked the bacon they used, very smoky and rich. Two people in our party had a chicken sandwich, the Smash and Grab, and said it was very good, while another had the $5.00 special of build your own mac and cheese with carnitas and jalapeno. I wasn't able to sample anyone else's food, but it all looked quite good. I'd certainly return for the burgers, as mine was, as Happy Stomach noted, just about as good as anything I've had at Kuma's and much less expensive. Everyone really liked the food, but could have dispensed with the vibe. I'll definitely be back, but would be disinclined to linger if it was packed/particularly noisy.

*Edited to add that the complimentary table snack the night we were there was house made chips with a spicy dipping sauce. The chips were just a bit salty but well made and the sauce had a nice kick. Our waitress brought snack refills out without our needing to request it.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #21 - January 12th, 2011, 7:02 am
    Post #21 - January 12th, 2011, 7:02 am Post #21 - January 12th, 2011, 7:02 am
    ziggy wrote:
    happy_stomach wrote:Even taking into account the ten-minute walk back to my house after picking up my food, the handcut fries were very, very soggy.

I became quite the regular there this fall (especially on half priced burger Tuesdays!) and more often than not, their fires are undercooked. I always ask for them well-done when I order.

I wonder if the half-priced burgers apply to dine-in only. I paid the menu price for my burger and didn't realize it was Tuesday until I got my food and got home. The burger was well worth the $13, but to pay half that would be an awesome deal!

Re: the fries: I ended up sticking them in my toaster oven. I polished off the newly crisp fries and burger with half a bottle of wine, listening to Ann Southam's (RIP) Simple Lines of Enquiry, far from any LCDs. Kind of a perfect evening.
  • Post #22 - January 12th, 2011, 7:11 am
    Post #22 - January 12th, 2011, 7:11 am Post #22 - January 12th, 2011, 7:11 am
    happy_stomach wrote:
    ziggy wrote:

I wonder if the half-priced burgers apply to dine-in only. I paid the menu price for my burger and didn't realize it was Tuesday until I got my food and got home. The burger was well worth the $13, but to pay half that would be an awesome deal!

While I don't know for sure, and it doesn't specify, I would assume so; I bet they expect to make the difference back on drinks.

SSDD
    He was constantly reminded of how startlingly different a place the world was when viewed from a point only three feet to the left.

Deepdish Pizza = Casserole
  • Post #23 - January 12th, 2011, 7:52 am
    Post #23 - January 12th, 2011, 7:52 am Post #23 - January 12th, 2011, 7:52 am
    happy_stomach wrote:The burger was well worth the $13

Ursiform wrote:I'd certainly return for the burgers, as mine was, as Happy Stomach noted, just about as good as anything I've had at Kuma's and much less expensive

I gave up Kuma's a long time ago for reasons other than price, but if I'm reading these quotes correctly - a Kuma's burger is now much more than $13?
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #24 - January 12th, 2011, 8:07 am
    Post #24 - January 12th, 2011, 8:07 am Post #24 - January 12th, 2011, 8:07 am
    Kennyz wrote:if I'm reading these quotes correctly - a Kuma's burger is now much more than $13?
    Kuma's web site has the burgers from $10 - $13, with my usual, the Kuma Burger (Bacon, Cheddar, Fried Egg), at $10.

Positive burger posts and tasty pictures have me wanting to try the Lockdown despite "thirteen flatscreens and blaring music"

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #25 - January 12th, 2011, 8:13 am
    Post #25 - January 12th, 2011, 8:13 am Post #25 - January 12th, 2011, 8:13 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Kennyz wrote:if I'm reading these quotes correctly - a Kuma's burger is now much more than $13?
    Kuma's web site has the burgers from $10 - $13, with my usual, the Kuma Burger (Bacon, Cheddar, Fried Egg), at $10.

Yeah, same price range at both places. (I think Lockdown has a double burger that's $14-15.) Maybe Ursiform dined on a Tuesday.
  • Post #26 - January 12th, 2011, 9:56 am
    Post #26 - January 12th, 2011, 9:56 am Post #26 - January 12th, 2011, 9:56 am
    happy_stomach wrote:Yeah, same price range at both places. (I think Lockdown has a double burger that's $14-15.) Maybe Ursiform dined on a Tuesday.

Sorry, I should have clarified, we were there on a Thursday, not on the 1/2 price burger day, Tuesday, but overall our bill was lower due to all of their specials. Everyone at the table used the Foursquare check in to get a free drink (draft beer or a shot of your choice) and one of our party had the highly discounted mac and cheese special. Burgers are priced in the same range as Kuma's, but feel like a better value due to lack of wait, more robust sides (you pay extra for salad or mac and cheese at Kuma's, they are standard side choices at Lockdown) and comparable quality.

I have a feeling Lockdown is very popular on Tuesdays when burgers are 1/2 price!
  • Post #27 - January 12th, 2011, 10:13 pm
    Post #27 - January 12th, 2011, 10:13 pm Post #27 - January 12th, 2011, 10:13 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:
    ziggy wrote:

It doesn't apply to 3 burgers on the menu: the one you had, the double, and the buffalo burger with fried quail egg.

I'm not quite sure if it applies to carry-out.

But yeah, if you can catch one of their specials and also utilize Foursquare, a very cheap meal can be had. Those freshly fried potato chips as a snack are now standard. So you can get some nice crispy chips, a burger, and a Two Hearted for $5.50 on Tuesdays. Has to be one of the best deals in the city!

Also, while I typically go during the day, finding sports on the TVs has been much more common than when they first opened. Music volume varies based on the customers, bartenders, etc. The owners/managers are very accommodating and will often ask the patrons if they want concert videos or sports.
  • Post #28 - March 8th, 2011, 9:13 pm
    Post #28 - March 8th, 2011, 9:13 pm Post #28 - March 8th, 2011, 9:13 pm
    With my family, I capped off an obscenely fat Tuesday at Lockdown. It was packed tonight; I'm guessing more due to the regular 1/2 price burger special than the pre-Lenten quasi-holiday. Extra loud but the friendly crowd made it seem not so bad.

We had the Warden, which was excellent as usual. I get excited by the prospect of 1/2 price burgers, though I never seem to order accordingly. Like the Warden, the Buffalo is also not part of the Tuesday special but also worth the $13 price tag. Gorgeous, perfectly cooked quail eggs tonight.

Photos courtesy of happy_brother-in-law

First real miss at Lockdown was the house seasonal veggie burger, known as Identity Theft and served with fried onions and cucumbers. Clearly hand-formed patty, but it wouldn't hold its shape and was largely flavorless. The cucumbers seemed out of place. I'll return to my meat-only routine next time.

Finally, Lockdown may not be capable of producing crispy fries. I've tried requesting "extra crispy," as I did tonight; fries came out the same as everyone else's. Again, the fries are respectable but limp.

Note that I think the Foursquare free beer is only for Miller Lite or Schlitz. In terms of ambiance, Lockdown still pushes my comfort level to the limit, but the food must be good. I keep going back.
  • Post #29 - March 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm
    Post #29 - March 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm Post #29 - March 8th, 2011, 10:05 pm
    happy_stomach wrote:Finally, Lockdown may not be capable of producing crispy fries. I've tried requesting "extra crispy," as I did tonight; fries came out the same as everyone else's. Again, the fries are respectable but limp.

Sometimes you have to be firm with servers about the importance of crispness. Shame a simple request didn't do it.
  • Post #30 - March 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm
    Post #30 - March 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm Post #30 - March 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm
    happy_stomach wrote: Note that I think the Foursquare free beer is only for Miller Lite or Schlitz. In terms of ambiance, Lockdown still pushes my comfort level to the limit, but the food must be good. I keep going back.

Hmm...I think we got lucky with our waitress as I distinctly recall that she let us use it on any draft beer, but it does appear that Miller & Schlitz are the actual beers on offer. Hey, bonus if you are the Mayor! :P

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more