LTH Home

Green Chile Cheeseburgers [Pictures]

Green Chile Cheeseburgers [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Green Chile Cheeseburgers [Pictures]

Post #1 - September 6th, 2009, 9:53 pm
    Post #1 - September 6th, 2009, 9:53 pm Post #1 - September 6th, 2009, 9:53 pm
    LTH,

Between Kuhdo asking about Hatch chiles and Garry Howard, a resident of NM, posting on a BBQ listserv about his gorgeous Green Chile Cheese Burgers, GCCB seemed a natural for lunch this lovely Labor Day weekend Sunday.

Dead simple, roast/char serrano, anaheim and poblano, cover tightly to steam/soften skin, peel/deseed and cut into strips. Slice of onion, muenster cheese and cheap white buns round out the burgers.

Green Chile Cheeseburgers

Roast/char serrano, anaheim and poblano with lump charcoal and a bit of hickory

Cover, let steam 10-minutes to soften skin, peel, deseed

Cut into strips

Grill burgers, top with onion, green chile, muenster cheese

Grill buns

Assemble, eat, enjoy Seemingly mandatory fresh green pepper for Geo's amusement

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - September 7th, 2009, 7:46 pm
    Post #2 - September 7th, 2009, 7:46 pm Post #2 - September 7th, 2009, 7:46 pm
    Amazing. I made a very similar burger last weekend using poblano and serrano chilies, but with chihuahua instead of muenster. Grilled over hardwood coals with Mesquite chunks and topped off with a quick guacamole they were outstanding. I'm sure yours were as well. Happy labor day!
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #3 - September 7th, 2009, 9:11 pm
    Post #3 - September 7th, 2009, 9:11 pm Post #3 - September 7th, 2009, 9:11 pm
    I did a triple take this evening when I saw a smallish basket of Hatch Green Chiles at the Jewel on Broadway just north of Berwyn. It must be how our relatives felt when they saw a pineapple sitting in the grocery store for the first time. Freaky exotic.

I didn't buy any but if anyone has the time to toss them around in a funny bingo-looking chile roaster on the side of a road . . . . well if you do, the SW folks will come out of the wood works.

One other thing: when you said "Green Chile Cheeseburgers" I immediately thought you meant a cheeseburger slathered with green chile. Not strips of chiles but the soupy, ubiquitous warm and smokey dish of New Mexican chile. You eat it out of a bowl or pour it over your eggs, or even, your burger. You can get red or green chile or both. They have no beans, no beef, it is roasted chiles, onion, pork (or not sometimes) and a thickened broth. I have yet to stumble upon any place making it in Chicago. I happily think of it as something "hyper-regional" but if Jewel is selling Hatch chiles (as Hatch chiles!) I might be totally off.

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #4 - September 8th, 2009, 7:02 am
    Post #4 - September 8th, 2009, 7:02 am Post #4 - September 8th, 2009, 7:02 am
    bjt wrote:I did a triple take this evening when I saw a smallish basket of Hatch Green Chiles at the Jewel on Broadway just north of Berwyn. It must be how our relatives felt when they saw a pineapple sitting in the grocery store for the first time. Freaky exotic.

I didn't buy any but if anyone has the time to toss them around in a funny bingo-looking chile roaster on the side of a road . . . . well if you do, the SW folks will come out of the wood works.

Two things:

I HAPPILY roast them* in my gas grill every year. Those drum rollers are run off of propane, nothing fancy like wood for smoke flavor. And yes, I'd be one of those ppl who would come outta the woodwork for Roasted Green Chiles.

2. Just a few months ago, I was up in the U.P. Every time we go, I bring a cooler full of fresh fruit for wife 1.0's family. I brought mangoes, cherries, and some decent cantaloupes and a few pineapples. All were on ridonculous priced sale and fantastic. Bings were 89c/lb and phenomenal, pineapples were 2 for 1.00, cantaloupes were under a buck, mangoes 4 for 1.00. One am, I broke out the pineapples, and wife 1.0's grandma had a puzzled look on her face as I started to cut it.

"Is that a FRESH PINEAPPLE? I've never ever seen one in person!"

The things we take for granted...

* not real Hatches, but the mixture of anaheims, and big jims I get from my csa guy in Wisconsin.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #5 - September 8th, 2009, 12:58 pm
    Post #5 - September 8th, 2009, 12:58 pm Post #5 - September 8th, 2009, 12:58 pm
    Gary,

Beautiful green chile cheeseburgers. Your use of Muenster cheese would get you booted from the Land of Enchantment. American Cheese, land of the free, belongs on those beauties.
  • Post #6 - September 8th, 2009, 1:13 pm
    Post #6 - September 8th, 2009, 1:13 pm Post #6 - September 8th, 2009, 1:13 pm
    Since when has weber made a ceramic grill?

-Will
  • Post #7 - September 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm
    Post #7 - September 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm Post #7 - September 8th, 2009, 1:28 pm
    WillG wrote:Since when has weber made a ceramic grill?

-Will

That's a BGE..... Big Green Egg I think...
  • Post #8 - September 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm
    Post #8 - September 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm Post #8 - September 8th, 2009, 4:49 pm
    WillG wrote:Since when has weber made a ceramic grill?

As mhill pointed out that is a Big Green Egg.

I tend to be closely associated with the WSM, but I use a number of different smokers. At the moment I have a WSM 22, WSM 18, Charbroil offset, Weber Kettle 22 and an old model New Braunfels Bandera. I also use a cinder block pig pit I built at my cousin The Goat King's house in Aurora and, as you note, a Big Green Egg.

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention the BGE is on loan from the company and I will be doing a couple of demo/book signings using the BGE in October.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 2:51 pm Post #9 - September 9th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    Gary-
    Forgetting hernia issues, how does the BGE compare to the WSM? While you can leave the wsm unattended for maybe 4-6 hours, I have heard that the bge is good for 10-12.

Thanks, Will
  • Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 9:35 pm
    Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 9:35 pm Post #10 - September 9th, 2009, 9:35 pm
    WillG wrote:Forgetting hernia issues, how does the BGE compare to the WSM? While you can leave the wsm unattended for maybe 4-6 hours, I have heard that the bge is good for 10-12.

Hernia? Once you have the BGE set in position there is really no reason to lift it up.

Far as low slow times on one load of charcoal, I've gone 5-hours on the BGE with little effort, but I've not done a cook simply to see how long a load will last.

The Naked Whiz has a very informative Ceramic Charcoal Cooking FAQ, which should answer many, if not most, of the questions you may have.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles