LTH Home

La Pasadita and the Ultimate Burrito

La Pasadita and the Ultimate Burrito
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 21st, 2009, 9:38 pm
    Post #31 - July 21st, 2009, 9:38 pm Post #31 - July 21st, 2009, 9:38 pm
    RAB wrote:I may be alone here, but I'll put Guanajuato up against Pasadita and Las Asadas any day. Give it a try if you haven't had it.

As you referenced I'm a fan of the Belmont/California Guanajuato, in fact I was there Saturday shopping and had a couple of tacos. I realize this may seem odd, but there was an overabundance of meat on the tacos, meat to tortilla ratio was off the charts. I'd guess a third to just shy of on half pound per taco, I actually removed some of the meat to put them in balance. The skewed meat to tortilla ratio is exactly why I am not a burrito fan. I should point out the tacos, lomo w/onions and carnitas, were terrific.

Far as La Pasadita (East Side) vs Guanajuato I like them both, had a lengua and chile relleno at La Pasadita just a few nights ago, both enjoyable. Lengua was reasonably proportioned, though the chile relleno is large.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Carnicerias Guanajuato
    3140 N California
    Chicago, IL

La Pasadita Restaurant
    1141 N Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    773-278-0384
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 pm
    Post #32 - July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 pm Post #32 - July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 pm
    might do the crawl, though chances are probably not, sorry :( not sure if this would be a good addition considering time/travel but from what i remember (hadn't had this place in over a year) one of the best steak and pastor tacos i've had:

Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente (Was Caniceria Leon)
    1400 N Ashland
    Chicago, IL
    773-772-9804

i'm not sure if the quality has kept up since then, but they were dang good tacos. just a thought.

Palapita today. very good. obviously Palapita and Asadas are related as the steak tasted like Asadas on a good day. i get mine onions cilantro and cheese. they fry up their own chips here too, but they were out! nuts because i like to dip the chips in crema (weird but i like it). i think lunchtime is a sure bet to hit up these places because they are grilling right at that time. when they are not grilling, given some time after, the meat can sometimes taste, as best as i can describe it, as chopped brisket without any smoke flavor... maybe not the best description but that's the best i can think of (this was what it tasted like when i gave my two "poor" ratings). i've read some reviews about this place being a hole in the wall but Asadas on Lee is the one true hole 8) this place was larger with more seating. my guess is going to be that Palapita, Asadas and Pasadita will taste pretty much the same at the right time (lunch or equivalent). the interesting comparison will be between those three and Asadero/Guanajuato and Leon if that is squeezed in. my next attempt will probably Asadero but maybe even Asadas again today for dinner... say what you may about my criticism but at least i am adding sales to their income statement!

salud, mbk

PS: one thing i forgot to add is that i noticed Palapita's green salsa had more heat than Asada's. it could be that Asada's has been tamer lately (might be characteristics of that certain batch) or that Palapita's is just made to be hotter, but either way, Palapita's green sauce had a great amount of heat.
  • Post #33 - July 22nd, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Post #33 - July 22nd, 2009, 1:21 pm Post #33 - July 22nd, 2009, 1:21 pm
    Palapita and Asadas used to be owned by the same guy. I do not know if they still are, but I know for a fact that he used to own Palapitas as well. The only reason I say he might not own it now is that La Palapita is not listed in the locations section of the Las Asadas take out menu anymore. He is the son of the owner of La Pasadita.

MBK, I envy your quest for protein!
    Side note: yesterday, I had a steak burrito from Zacatacos that could rival any of these joints. Zaca is another char grill joint.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #34 - July 24th, 2009, 10:33 pm
    Post #34 - July 24th, 2009, 10:33 pm Post #34 - July 24th, 2009, 10:33 pm
    When we lived skipping distance from the Las Asadas on Western way back in the 90s, (and we had just returned from living in Guanajuato for a few months) we were totally enamored with it because it served its tacos just like they did in Gto . . . good charred meat with finely chopped onions and cilantro and you got to pick your salsa. Super simple and delicious. Here's the thing that always boggled my mind (and sort of upset me) Las Asadas would nuke the tortillas. Yep. Granted, they held up and we kept coming back for more but I always sort of hated it. So, next time any of you go, keep an eye and an ear out for the beeping. I am seriously hoping they lost that like a bad habit and are heating them up on the flat top or the grill. If they have, I will make it a point to go check them out again.

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #35 - July 25th, 2009, 8:43 am
    Post #35 - July 25th, 2009, 8:43 am Post #35 - July 25th, 2009, 8:43 am
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, but it seems like it given that this discussion has turned to the merits of a char-grilled burrito. After reading this thread and drooling, I thought I'd give the carne asada burrito from Carniceria Guanajuato on Ashland a try. However, for the sake of all yours research, I'll say that, at approximately 2:00 pm yesterday, I detected no char-grilling in action. They appeared to have a grill (not sure if there was any charcoal involved), but it was cold and there was no meat on it. Instead, the guy cooking the meat was using the flat top to "grill" the beef. It was, by this point, cut in to strips and being sauteed with onions. After he cooked the beef on the flat-top, into the grease bucket it went. Given that RAB saw the char-grilling in action at the Belmont/California location, I'm not sure if this was:

(a) A shortcut taken at the Ashland location;
    (b) The whim/preference of the guy cooking the meat that day; or
    (c) The result of ordering a burrito at a seemingly off time, although there were plenty of people there (and, interestingly, more than a few white-coated cooks on their way to work the dinner shift at various restaurants).

So, I didn't detect any char-grilled taste, and consequently, the burrito, while good, was not as spectactular as it could be. The meat itself was tender and well-seasoned though. (And greasier than it could be as well.)

Another data point.

Carniceria Guanajuato
    1436 N. Ashland Ave
    Chicago IL 60622
    (773) 772-5266
  • Post #36 - July 25th, 2009, 8:58 am
    Post #36 - July 25th, 2009, 8:58 am Post #36 - July 25th, 2009, 8:58 am
    bjt wrote:Here's the thing that always boggled my mind (and sort of upset me) Las Asadas would nuke the tortillas. Yep. Granted, they held up and we kept coming back for more but I always sort of hated it.

bjt

Noted, and it's also been said, that if you choose to ask for them to be heated on the grill - it's no issue at all.
    The flour tortillas for the burritos are always grilled first.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #37 - July 26th, 2009, 10:29 am
    Post #37 - July 26th, 2009, 10:29 am Post #37 - July 26th, 2009, 10:29 am
    aschie30 wrote:However, for the sake of all yours research, I'll say that, at approximately 2:00 pm yesterday, I detected no char-grilling in action. They appeared to have a grill (not sure if there was any charcoal involved), but it was cold and there was no meat on it. Instead, the guy cooking the meat was using the flat top to "grill" the beef. It was, by this point, cut in to strips and being sauteed with onions. After he cooked the beef on the flat-top, into the grease bucket it went.

Wow. Completely unacceptable. I do wonder if this was an aberration, but I'm happy to stick with good old reliable Guanajuato #3 (Calif/Belmont).

Thanks for the additional data point.
    (A salad only day sounded like a horrible idea anyway. ;))

--Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya
  • Post #38 - July 26th, 2009, 11:28 am
    Post #38 - July 26th, 2009, 11:28 am Post #38 - July 26th, 2009, 11:28 am
    aschie30 wrote:So, I didn't detect any char-grilled taste, and consequently, the burrito, while good, was not as spectactular as it could be. The meat itself was tender and well-seasoned though. (And greasier than it could be as well.)

Another data point.

Carniceria Guanajuato

Aschie,

You were but a half block away from some of the best, if not the best, tacos in the city, Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente (Was Caniceria Leon). I might have suggested invoking the Kuhdo rule*

Enjoy,
    Gary

*Kuhdo rule - If your first lunch blows go for a second.

1400 N Ashland
    Chicago, IL
    773-772-9804
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #39 - July 26th, 2009, 3:26 pm
    Post #39 - July 26th, 2009, 3:26 pm Post #39 - July 26th, 2009, 3:26 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    aschie30 wrote:So, I didn't detect any char-grilled taste, and consequently, the burrito, while good, was not as spectactular as it could be. The meat itself was tender and well-seasoned though. (And greasier than it could be as well.)

Another data point.

Carniceria Guanajuato

Aschie,

You were but a half block away from some of the best, if not the best, tacos in the city, Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente (Was Caniceria Leon). I might have suggested invoking the Kuhdo rule*

Enjoy,
    Gary

*Kuhdo rule - If your first lunch blows go for a second.

1400 N Ashland
    Chicago, IL
    773-772-9804

I took the burrito to-go so by the time I ate it I was too far from Carniceria Leon to do a do-over with Tacos al Pastor. I'd never had a burrito from the Ashland Guanajuato (only shopped there), nor had I had a burrito in ages (usually I'm a taco gal), so, really, it was more for experimentation's sake. However, after eating that monster burrito, there was no eating for a good 16 hours after that. :)
  • Post #40 - July 30th, 2009, 5:30 pm
    Post #40 - July 30th, 2009, 5:30 pm Post #40 - July 30th, 2009, 5:30 pm
    I made my maiden voyage to La Pasadita (east side) today, and what can I say? You win some, you lose some. The carne asada burrito was good, but bordering on simply good enough. My wife's barbacoa burrito, on the other hand, was inedible. It was so sad watching her gamely pick at it, until I told her to throw in the towel. She told me it was repulsive, and I must admit the big chunks of fat she kept picking out did not whet my appetite. After she gave up I took a curious bite - stupidly, seeing as I had finished my own potentially taste-bud restorative burrito - and could barely keep the meat down. It was like the lowest quality brisket, greasy and nasty.

I think that's the last of this place I'll bother with, seeing as it's a stone's throw from not just Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente but also Irazu.

:(
  • Post #41 - July 30th, 2009, 8:33 pm
    Post #41 - July 30th, 2009, 8:33 pm Post #41 - July 30th, 2009, 8:33 pm
    East side Pasadita has barbacoa? Took one for the team. The open flame is where it's at with Pasadita. I'm with you on nee' Leon, but it's not open late. I had carne asada tacos from Pasadita al trunko last night, very late. (Coming back from work, unfortunately.) Very good, meat just off the grill and sliced to order. First time in a long time, due to this thread.
  • Post #42 - July 31st, 2009, 8:05 am
    Post #42 - July 31st, 2009, 8:05 am Post #42 - July 31st, 2009, 8:05 am
    IMO, Barbacoa+Burrito = not a great idea. Too rich.
    I'm not sure what they serve as barbacoa at like Chipotle or Baja Fresh, but barbacoa in most of the little taquerias around town that serve it is pretty much gonna be shredded beef stew. If I ever get barbacoa, it's gonna be in a taco as a "side car" for a steak burrito, or maybe for a little rich greezy treat to have a little variety with two steak tacos. A burrito de barbacoa turns into excess about halfway through - too rich for my blood.
  • Post #43 - July 31st, 2009, 6:47 pm
    Post #43 - July 31st, 2009, 6:47 pm Post #43 - July 31st, 2009, 6:47 pm
    This barbacoa would have been disgusting no matter what the context. Taco, burrito, glopped on a plate ... it was just plain gross. :x
  • Post #44 - November 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm
    Post #44 - November 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm Post #44 - November 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm
    Just got 2 carne asada tacos from the East Side La P earlier. Excellent as always, and they hit the spot during this afternoon rain. I hit them during peak time, so I'd like to think I got their A game. The steak was sufficiently charred but still possessing some bite, and beautifully salted. They couldn't have coaxed more flavor out of it if they tried. A portion of the green salsa applied sparingly provided a nice mild burn. Sometimes you just gotta stick with the classics.

Much to my surprise, there was one other gringo in there.
  • Post #45 - December 8th, 2009, 7:43 am
    Post #45 - December 8th, 2009, 7:43 am Post #45 - December 8th, 2009, 7:43 am
    LTH,

No burritos for me, I find them unbalanced and hard to get through, but La Pasadita, East side of Ashland, was on the money with a recent carne asada. Good as the carne asada was the accompanying barbacoa was even better steaming moist tender, with an almost silky quality to the meat. Cilantro/onions squiggle of salsa, a delicious generously portioned 2-buck taco.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #46 - December 8th, 2009, 8:06 am
    Post #46 - December 8th, 2009, 8:06 am Post #46 - December 8th, 2009, 8:06 am
    I love those steak tacos(steak, cilantro, onions) from the eastside location. After a night of eating bbq, and wings @ Toons, I had to make a stop for some tacos on the way home, ate (2) while I drove back home, and the taco I ate cold the next day @ work with the green salsa were just as good.
  • Post #47 - December 8th, 2009, 10:13 am
    Post #47 - December 8th, 2009, 10:13 am Post #47 - December 8th, 2009, 10:13 am
    Poor timing for this thread to rise to the top, as I'm at my office, a scant block-and-a-half from La Pasadita.
    Carne Asada on a snowy day sounds kind of perfect-ish right now. Too bad they're not open yet.
    See you guys there at noon?
  • Post #48 - December 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm
    Post #48 - December 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm Post #48 - December 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm
    I had occasion to try the newish LP Express on Elston for the first time since opening day. I'm happy to report that they have now installed a gas-fired grill in addition to the existing flat top (which was all they had on opening day) and the steak tacos are now pretty much identical to the LaP on Ashland. I'm glad they upgraded the cooking method because this place is now the best carne asada taco option in my immediate neighborhood, though it's only the 2nd closest taco stand to my house.

Taqueria LP Express
    4968 N Elston
    Chicago, IL 60630
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #49 - December 30th, 2009, 5:55 am
    Post #49 - December 30th, 2009, 5:55 am Post #49 - December 30th, 2009, 5:55 am
    MBK wrote:PS: one thing i forgot to add is that i noticed Palapita's green salsa had more heat than Asada's. it could be that Asada's has been tamer lately (might be characteristics of that certain batch) or that Palapita's is just made to be hotter, but either way, Palapita's green sauce had a great amount of heat.

La Palapita's green salsa has more heat than Las Asada's, but it is an unbalanced heat with distinct bitter notes, I found the flavor unpleasant. Steak taco fared no better, tough, gristly, scant beef flavor with a top note of soot from, what I am guessing is, a needs-to-be-cleaned grill.

Frankly, I meant to go to Taqueria LP Express on Elston which Steve Z recommends one post up, and Mike Sula waxes poetic about the Salsa Negra in the Reader. I won't make that mistake again.

My favorite tacos remain at Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra Caliente, with La Pasadita (East side only) a close second.

Enjoy,
    Gary

La Palapita
    4263 N Milwaukee
    Chicago, IL
    773-427-4438

Taqueria LP Express
    4968 N. Elston
    Chicago, IL
    773-282-8226

Las Asada's
    2072 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 235-5538

1400 N Ashland
    Chicago, IL
    773-772-9804

La Pasadita
    1141 N Ashland Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    773-278-0384
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - December 30th, 2009, 8:29 pm
    Post #50 - December 30th, 2009, 8:29 pm Post #50 - December 30th, 2009, 8:29 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Frankly, I meant to go to Taqueria LP Express on Elston which Steve Z recommends one post up, and Mike Sula waxes poetic about the Salsa Negra in the Reader. I won't make that mistake again.

Taqueria LP Express a vast improvement over La Palapita, friendly counter girl instead of a surly luchador, crisp free chips as opposed to none, two types of salsa including smoky spicy salsa negra a real treat compared to La Palapita's bitter unbalanced salsa verde and full flavored generously portioned carne asada far surpassing gristly off-flavored gerbil nibs.

Parking at both is a bit awkward, the lots are small and weirdly positioned, and while Taqueria LP Express is smaller there is a bustling friendly feel and stools offering in-house diners a birds-eye view of Elston.

While I still prefer Carniceria Y Taqueria Tierra and the original (east side) La Pasadita its nice to have a solid quick taco option without the travel time.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Taqueria LP Express
    4968 N. Elston
    Chicago, IL
    773-282-8226
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #51 - September 30th, 2011, 12:23 pm
    Post #51 - September 30th, 2011, 12:23 pm Post #51 - September 30th, 2011, 12:23 pm
    I stopped by both Tierra Caliente and Pasadita (the small GNR one) for lunch today. I was curious to compare the two and it had been a while since I'd been to Pasadita.

For the sake of comparison I won't talk too much about the pastor or birria tacos at TC since Pasadita doesn't serve those, but I like both of them better than the carne asada at Pasadita.

In general, the tacos are a much better value at TC. For two dollars, they over stuff the tacos such that every taco I've ever had there I had to finish off the spill over with a fork (or with my fingers). Pasadita's tacos are a little more than half the size of TC's and they cost $2.65.

The carne asada at Pasadita is more tender and it's better seasoned. On this particular trip, I'm pretty sure the meat came off the grill 10-15 minutes before it was served to me since it was taken from a steam tray so it was warm but not hot. Also there were very few charred bits, it was pretty much uniform throughout. The carne asada at TC is cut in much larger chunks and taken off the grill after you order so it has more crispy bits. The pieces can be chewy, and though the meat is flavorful, it was a little under-seasoned for my taste. The best bites were from the TC taco, but overall I thought the Pasadita taco tasted better.

The lengua taco is more tender at Pasadita and looks more like a tongue stew with large hunks of meat. It's stewed in a flavorful broth and exquisitely tender. The lengua taco at TC is grilled then cut into small bits. Once again the flavor is good, but lacks the zip that the Pasadita taco had. The difference between the two tacos was greater than I was expecting.

Pasadita has changed over the years. The interior has improved (no more decaying bar stools or cracks in the walls) and the prices have gone up. They still do a great job seasoning the carne asada, but I feel like they're no longer putting the care in to make a truly excellent carne asada taco. The lengua taco was a very pleasant surprise and I could see myself opting for that over the carne asada on future trips. In a lot of ways, TC is what I imagine Pasadita used to be like before they started expanding their empire (I only started visiting Pasadita about 3 years ago). TC specializes in al pastor and it really shows. Their carne asada and lengua are very good, but Pasadita has what I would consider to be better versions even though there is some room for improvement.
  • Post #52 - October 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm
    Post #52 - October 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm Post #52 - October 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm
    The La Pasadita steak/carne asada is the best tasting burrito meat in Chicagoland. Forget the peripherals, I'm just talking about the seasoned steak. Heaven sent.
  • Post #53 - December 30th, 2019, 9:06 am
    Post #53 - December 30th, 2019, 9:06 am Post #53 - December 30th, 2019, 9:06 am
    OMG, La Pasadita is now charging $12 for a steak burrito? Twelve bucks?

That is insane. El Asadero and 5 de Mayo are far better and less expen$$$ive, if you're looking for carne asada over an open flame.

I think David Espinosa II who founded La Pasadita in 1976, tragically killed while changing a flat tire on the Stevenson Expressway many years ago, would not be happy with what has happened to his little chain.

http://www.pasadita.com/our-menu/
  • Post #54 - December 30th, 2019, 12:45 pm
    Post #54 - December 30th, 2019, 12:45 pm Post #54 - December 30th, 2019, 12:45 pm
    I think the Ultimate Burrito mentioned in the title and OP is $15.

FEB74D90-6C83-42AB-9BFC-EB0DAF87446C.jpeg Super Burrito
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #55 - December 17th, 2020, 8:27 am
    Post #55 - December 17th, 2020, 8:27 am Post #55 - December 17th, 2020, 8:27 am
    La Pasadita Owners Selling Their Last Building In West Town To Get Through Pandemic: ‘We’re In Survival Mode’
    Open since 1976, La Pasadita once had three locations on Ashland. Now, the pandemic has forced the Espinoza family to sell the building housing their last West Town restaurant — and the fates of two other small businesses hang in the balance

EAST UKRAINIAN VILLAGE — After battling rising property taxes and declining revenue, the family that owns the cherished taco shop La Pasadita has reluctantly put its West Town property on the market.

The family’s asking price for the property at 1130-1144 N. Ashland Ave. is $10 million.

David Espinoza Jr., who co-owns the restaurant with family, described the sale as a necessary but heartbreaking decision. He wanted to wait to put the building on the market, but in the end, selling is the only way to save the family financially after a devastating year, he said.

“This virus is killing us,” he said. “We’re down 50 percent in revenues, working with a skeleton crew. We’re in survival mode. … A lot of our Hispanic community, we’re in the restaurant industry. … We’re all just surviving.”
  • Post #56 - December 18th, 2020, 11:33 am
    Post #56 - December 18th, 2020, 11:33 am Post #56 - December 18th, 2020, 11:33 am
    Boo. This one will leave a scar. I know there are probably better and definitely cheaper options, but I have many fond memories of late night drives from HP with my Dad as a kid (including a two carne asada burrito in one sitting performance by me), then my own late night drives, then walks down division, etc...

I do find the idea of a pasadita in the lobby of a midrise or highrise kind of comical though.
  • Post #57 - December 18th, 2020, 12:56 pm
    Post #57 - December 18th, 2020, 12:56 pm Post #57 - December 18th, 2020, 12:56 pm
    Ahmad Shareef wrote:Boo. This one will leave a scar.

Agreed. I honestly haven't been to any of the LP's in prolly a decade because of finding better, cheaper product elsewhere, imo, but I DEFINITELY have fond memories, and I've had PLENTY of good eats there. Back in the day, late night, that steak, when the salsa negra was AWN? Man, that stuff was fantastic.
  • Post #58 - December 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm
    Post #58 - December 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm Post #58 - December 18th, 2020, 1:30 pm
    As others have posted, many great memories (especially at the tiny space on the east side of Ashland) and this is sad news but LP has been dead to me for a long time.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #59 - December 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm
    Post #59 - December 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm Post #59 - December 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm
    Ugh. Ugh.
    I was making photocopies of my Xmas letter at CopyMax on N. Milwaukee Ave. on Tuesday and stopped in at La Pasadita for a Barbacoa Burrito ($10.63).
    {Sorry - no photographs. My camera has been stuck in a dresser drawer for a while now.}
    It was quite good, and did not have the carne asada surcharge.
    A cynic might scrawl that the Popeye's and the Checkers across the avenue from it are what was the last nails in its coffin. :x
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more