LTH Home

Ft. Wayne ,Indiana Eating & Shopping recs Wanted

Ft. Wayne ,Indiana Eating & Shopping recs Wanted
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Ft. Wayne ,Indiana Eating & Shopping recs Wanted

Post #1 - November 1st, 2004, 8:23 am
    Post #1 - November 1st, 2004, 8:23 am Post #1 - November 1st, 2004, 8:23 am
    My next week long jaunt will be to beautiful Ft. (you can't get there from here) Wayne, Indiana. Does anyone have any high points for me in this town? It looks like I will be able to procur a room with kitchen so shopping recs are good too. I am always looking for good deli, greek, italian, mexican or just about anything other than M-E food.

thanks so much
    bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    http://www.maxwellstreetmarket.com
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #2 - November 1st, 2004, 11:03 am
    Post #2 - November 1st, 2004, 11:03 am Post #2 - November 1st, 2004, 11:03 am
    I grew up in Fort Wayne, and there wasn't much good to eat. Things have improved, but there's almost nothing there you can't get here or get here better.

That said, one place you should not miss is Powers Hamburgers, 1402 S. Harrison Street. Been there since forever, and it's open all night (except closes sometime late on Saturday night and is closed Sunday). People often use the term "White Castle" as an aid to describing their product, but that's an injustice. While hunting for the exact address, I found this, http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm, which at least gives you a feel for the place. Note the grill picture and menu. I like to get a seat with a view of the grill. If you don't want to be reminded by smell of your trip to Ft. Wayne for weeks to come, leave your jacket in the car, and whatever you do, don't bring the food into the car. On the other hand, I sort of like the smell... It's an extremely affordable place to eat, and one thing I've always enjoyed about it is that you truly see all kinds of people there, a real cross-section of the town.

Another late-night (or whenever) favorite nearby is Coney Island, 131 W. Main Street. ("Our buns are steamed.") And here are more pics. http://www.hollyeats.com/ConeyIsland.htm. They have Coke in the small glass bottles.

[Edited to remove reference to Zoli's pizza. They're closed.]

For seafood, I like the Oyster Bar, 1830 S. Calhoun Street, another very old restaurant. I prefer this location to the newer strip-mall version out north.

Good indian food can be found at Taj Mahal, 6410 W. Jefferson, and the staff is very nice. Not anything better than you can get on Devon, but very good to have in Fort Wayne!

A notable place outside of Fort Wayne is Joseph Decuis http://www.josephdecuis.com/. It's in Roanoke, a rather backwoodsy (I'm trying to be tactful here) small town (pop. 1495). It's my impression that most people in Roanoke would find it totally crazy to spend the price of an appetizer there for a whole meal. For whatever reason, big-name sports agent Eugene Parker's office is in this town (clients include Emmitt Smith, Ray Lewis, Deion Sanders, etc.), and this restaurant is across the street. Very strange. There was an article about the restaurant in the Tribune's Tempo section a while back. I haven't eaten there, but folks apparently come from far away to do so.

I can't think of anywhere to send you for the specific types of food you mentioned, but my current knowledge is rather spotty. Good luck, don't miss Powers, and please report back!

Addendum: I should also have mentioned DeBrands chocolates. They have a few locations, and are very good. http://www.debrand.com/
    Last edited by Holly of Uptown on September 23rd, 2007, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #3 - November 1st, 2004, 4:28 pm
    Post #3 - November 1st, 2004, 4:28 pm Post #3 - November 1st, 2004, 4:28 pm
    Holly of Uptown wrote:I grew up in Fort Wayne, and there wasn't much good to eat. Things have improved, but there's almost nothing there you can't get here or get here better.

That said, one place you should not miss is Powers Hamburgers, 1402 S. Harrison Street. Been there since forever, and it's open all night (except closes sometime late on Saturday night and is closed Sunday). People often use the term "White Castle" as an aid to describing their product, but that's an injustice. While hunting for the exact address, I found this, http://www.hollyeats.com/Powers.htm, which at least gives you a feel for the place. Note the grill picture and menu. I like to get a seat with a view of the grill. If you don't want to be reminded by smell of your trip to Ft. Wayne for weeks to come, leave your jacket in the car, and whatever you do, don't bring the food into the car. On the other hand, I sort of like the smell... It's an extremely affordable place to eat, and one thing I've always enjoyed about it is that you truly see all kinds of people there, a real cross-section of the town.

I went to school in Ft. Wayne in the late 60's and Powers was my late-night place of choice. I once tried to make a bet with my roommate that I could eat one of everything on the menu in one sitting. He wouldn't take the action, so I never tried. :lol:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:37 am
    Post #4 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:37 am Post #4 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:37 am
    Holly of Uptown wrote:I grew up in Fort Wayne, and there wasn't much good to eat. Things have improved, but there's almost nothing there you can't get here or get here better.

Thank you for the tips, kind sir. I am sure I will be at Powers several times and if I turn up anything else noteworthy in Ft Wayne I will be sure to clue everyone in

bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #5 - November 2nd, 2004, 3:31 pm
    Post #5 - November 2nd, 2004, 3:31 pm Post #5 - November 2nd, 2004, 3:31 pm
    I spent nearly the entire winter in Ft. Wayne last year on a work engagement. I was by and large by myself, so I did most of my food finding solo. I'd put a strong second to the Taj Mahal recommendation. That became my go-to take out place, although if I ever were to have a dinner companion, I wouldn't have hesitated to eat there also. My other favorite restaurant is the Rib Room. It's a white tablecloth restaurant NE of downtown that specializes (obviously) in slabs of bbq ribs. I'm not sure I can remember exactly where that place is however, so you'll have to google it.
  • Post #6 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:49 pm
    Post #6 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:49 pm Post #6 - November 2nd, 2004, 8:49 pm
    bob kopczynski wrote:Thank you for the tips, kind sir.

You're quite welcome, but it's ma'am. Have a good trip.
  • Post #7 - November 2nd, 2004, 9:17 pm
    Post #7 - November 2nd, 2004, 9:17 pm Post #7 - November 2nd, 2004, 9:17 pm
    Holly of Uptown wrote: You're quite welcome, but it's ma'am. Have a good trip.

I stand corrected and once again thank you
    bob
    Bob Kopczynski
    "Best Deals in Town"
  • Post #8 - April 27th, 2009, 10:47 am
    Post #8 - April 27th, 2009, 10:47 am Post #8 - April 27th, 2009, 10:47 am
    Hi,

My sister is on work assignment in Fort Wayne next week. All she knows of food destinations there was learned on the food channel. There is, or once was, a McDonald's with table service. I hope she will check it out, get pictures or at least the menu. Too bad she is one year too late for the Abraham Lincoln Museum that shutdown last year.

If any of Holly of Uptown's places have shutdown, that will be good to know. If there are others to consider, then please do advise. I will venture to guess there may be a Waffle House in the area.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #9 - April 27th, 2009, 11:45 am
    Post #9 - April 27th, 2009, 11:45 am Post #9 - April 27th, 2009, 11:45 am
    Ms. C & T's cousin was exhibiting at the Alpaca Show recently, so we stopped at the neighborhood brew pub (Mad Anthony Wayne's, if memory serves.) They were out of draft IPA, but had a reasonable Pale Ale.

I went for the fish sandwich (Tilapia? blackened?), which was good. I'm trying to think of an excuse that doesn't involve exotic animals to go back and try the Walleye Sliders.

C & T
  • Post #10 - April 27th, 2009, 1:41 pm
    Post #10 - April 27th, 2009, 1:41 pm Post #10 - April 27th, 2009, 1:41 pm
    Germuska posted about a few places in Ft Wayne, including a Burmese restaurant that looks quite interesting, here:
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18608&p=248124#p248124
  • Post #11 - April 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
    Post #11 - April 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm Post #11 - April 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm
    Walleye sliders?! I think I hear my mother calling. I haven't there in a couple of years, but I've had some good food at what is now called the Mad Anthony Brewing Co. over the years. Formerly the Munchie Emporium, it grew and then added brewing to the business. It also expanded significantly, by taking over a neighboring (used?) furniture store. I guess there are other locations now as well. Anyway, I used to get their pizzas semi-regularly, and they were usually very good, while wildly inconsistent. Also recommended are Scooby Snacks, which are their fries with Old Bay. Years ago, if you drank a dozen Heineken's or something, you could have your name painted on the ceiling--don't know if that's still possible or whether they even serve Heineken anymore.

Mad Anthony
    corner of Broadway & Taylor
    260-426-2537
    http://www.madbrew.com

There's also a newish cafe called the Friendly Fox. I wish I could better remember what I had there, but I went after running last fall's half marathon and didn't feel 100%. They have quiches, a couple of sandwiches, baked goods and ice cream in addition to coffees and teas.

Friendly Fox
    4001 South Wayne Ave.
    260-745-3369
    http://friendlyfox.org/home.aspx

Nothing I mentioned earlier (except Zoli's) is closed that I know of. I'll post more as I think of them.
  • Post #12 - April 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    Post #12 - April 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm Post #12 - April 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm
    Oh, I just thought of something else. For breaded pork tenderloin aficionados, I remember seeing them as a child at the Waynewood Inn. Restaurant attached to bar, they'd close the folding wood/laminate curtains between when there were kids in the dining room. They had paper placemat menus and I remember reading about Harvey Wallbanger and Tom Collins, et al. on them. Haven't been there in 30+ years, but might be worth looking into if you're into that kind of thing. I also have no point of comparison, as that's the only place I ever tried one. They were about twice as big as the bun they served them on.

Waynewood Inn
    8421 Bluffton Rd.
    260-747-0816
  • Post #13 - July 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm
    Post #13 - July 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm Post #13 - July 26th, 2010, 10:22 pm
    Bumping this thread in anticipation of my trip to lovely Ft. Wayne this Thursday to cheer on the Highland Indiana 11 year old Little League All Stars in the State tournament. We're there for at least 3 and possibly up to 6 days, depending on how the kids do. It seems that we're staying on the north side of town so I'll have to see where Powers and Coney Island Dog are located in relation to our hotel and fields. If anyone has any new suggestions for don't miss places, particularly any place that some of the girls might get away to if we were so inclined one evening ( :twisted: ), that would be appreciated. And options for additional kid-friendly spots or activities would be welcome as well.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #14 - July 27th, 2010, 5:22 am
    Post #14 - July 27th, 2010, 5:22 am Post #14 - July 27th, 2010, 5:22 am
    For those going to Fr. Wayne, I'll add this post as a point of reference.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #15 - July 27th, 2010, 8:01 am
    Post #15 - July 27th, 2010, 8:01 am Post #15 - July 27th, 2010, 8:01 am
    I have a friend who lives in the Fort
    and has good things to say about
    Pizza King - if you're a square-cut/
    tavern-style crunchy-crust fan:
    Oliver's Army wrote:Image
  • Post #16 - July 27th, 2010, 8:10 am
    Post #16 - July 27th, 2010, 8:10 am Post #16 - July 27th, 2010, 8:10 am
    in that area i have noticed that there is a pizza king in every town
    kokomo,tipton,muncie ect.
    i seen them alot but never tried them
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #17 - July 27th, 2010, 8:22 am
    Post #17 - July 27th, 2010, 8:22 am Post #17 - July 27th, 2010, 8:22 am
    philw wrote:in that area i have noticed that there is a pizza king in every town...

I've never been, but for those in the know,
    there are some considered "tr00 Pizza King",
    and many that are false. Apparently, the
    King reigns supreme in Ball City and Ft. Wang.
  • Post #18 - July 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm
    Post #18 - July 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm Post #18 - July 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm
    thanks Stevez and SCUBAchef--that pizza looks good--hopefully it's nearby and will deliver to what will hopefully be our first round victory party on Saturday night :D
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #19 - August 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm
    Post #19 - August 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm Post #19 - August 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm
    Holly of Uptown wrote:That said, one place you should not miss is Powers Hamburgers, 1402 S. Harrison Street. Been there since forever, and it's open all night (except closes sometime late on Saturday night and is closed Sunday). People often use the term "White Castle" as an aid to describing their product, but that's an injustice.

Powers is a special place, a true classic. I don't much care for White Castle's burgers but I find Powers' version to be exceptionally fine, the best rendition of a slider I've had. Keep in mind Powers is no longer open all night; I think the hours may vary by season and according to the TinCaps' schedule so be sure to check ahead.

Powers is a tiny gem, dwarfed by the Post Office & Court House next door. The day we visited a bicycle race was in progress, cutting off access and greatly annoying the owner.

The menu is compact but extends well beyond hamburgers (though burgers seem to be the preferred order by a wide margin). We got a ringside seat at the counter affording an excellent view of the miniature grill. The burgers begin life as golfball-sized spheres of meat lined up on the griddle. Handfuls of onions are piled on and the burgers get mashed to flatness with a spatula.

After a minute or two they're flipped so the cushion of onion is on the bottom. When caramelization is complete the burger is transferred to a small Aunt Millie bun.

No condiments are added but squirt bottles of mustard and ketchup are available. No pickles and certainly no lettuce or tomato.

I was almost unprepared for how tasty these little guys are, with deep onion flavor. They're surprisingly ungreasy but by no means dry. Really in a different league than any similar burgers I've tried.

Another report, from stevez, can be found in the Chicago to Fort Wayne thread.

Powers Hamburgers
    1402 S Harrison St
    Fort Wayne IN
    260-422-6620
  • Post #20 - August 4th, 2010, 4:36 pm
    Post #20 - August 4th, 2010, 4:36 pm Post #20 - August 4th, 2010, 4:36 pm
    HI,

What is remarkable is how good a hamburger this is for the fantastic price of 85 cents.

The good fortune of arriving while there was a bicyle race, no crowd. While the owner justifiably was irked, newbies could quickly grab a seat to watch the show and eat. We were reminded several times, there would have been a long line and likely no stools available on a normal day.

If we had not detoured for an unexpected Kewpee hamburg tour in Lima, OH, Powers would have been dinner on the return trek.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #21 - August 4th, 2010, 4:50 pm
    Post #21 - August 4th, 2010, 4:50 pm Post #21 - August 4th, 2010, 4:50 pm
    Rene G wrote: I don't much care for White Castle's burgers but I find Powers' version to be exceptionally fine, the best rendition of a slider I've had.

Ahh this makes sense to me for as to why I have never seen a spectacular slider report about all the spots from the Detroit area posted by you or Cathy2 here on LTH. I'm hoping to be in Detroit/Windsor later this summer...

I love sliders and Power's and Ft. Wayne Coney have always been on my radar but I haven't found myself within an hour or two drive from Ft. Wayne yet. Thanks for the report.
  • Post #22 - August 4th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    Post #22 - August 4th, 2010, 5:41 pm Post #22 - August 4th, 2010, 5:41 pm
    Back from the tournament--neither our team nor Pizza King were a success I'm afraid.

Boys lost all three games in their pool so didn't advance. Brought in Pizza King hot out of the oven (picked it up ourselves) for the group (13 pizzas) and the consensus, even amongst the kids, was that the sauce was really bland and the crust a bad combo of doughy and cardboardy (is that a word?). A shame too because it looked and smelled great coming out of the oven. The pepperoni was the type they put on the little pizza bagels you get frozen (bits instead of slices). The cheese and veggie pizzas were watery. The sausage was very bland as well. Oh well...the watermelon we brought with us from Strack was fabulous!! Nothing else to report because our group of 50 prepared all of our own meals while there which ended up being a lot of fun.

If I make it back to FW, I'll be stopping at Powers for SURE--those burgers look like an 85 cent handful of heaven :mrgreen:

Til next year....
  • Post #23 - August 4th, 2010, 6:31 pm
    Post #23 - August 4th, 2010, 6:31 pm Post #23 - August 4th, 2010, 6:31 pm
    Neither shopping or food but a great place to spend an hour in Ft. Wayne.

http://www.rain.org/~karpeles/ftwfrm.html
  • Post #24 - August 5th, 2010, 12:21 pm
    Post #24 - August 5th, 2010, 12:21 pm Post #24 - August 5th, 2010, 12:21 pm
    Sorry about the bad Pizza King tip (and the loss).
    I need to stop passing on second-hand recs.

Adding to the things-to-do; about 15-20 miles
    north of Fort Wayne is the Auburn Cord Duesenberg
    Automobile Museum ("It's a doozy!"):
    http://www.automobilemuseum.org/Pages/default.aspx
  • Post #25 - August 5th, 2010, 4:30 pm
    Post #25 - August 5th, 2010, 4:30 pm Post #25 - August 5th, 2010, 4:30 pm
    Rene G wrote:No condiments are added but squirt bottles of mustard and ketchup are available. No pickles and certainly no lettuce or tomato.

They also offer Sriracha, as can be seen in this picture I took back in 2007. Of course, given that it's Ft. Wayne, that exact same bottle is probably still there, only slightly more used than it was 3 years ago.

Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #26 - August 5th, 2010, 7:18 pm
    Post #26 - August 5th, 2010, 7:18 pm Post #26 - August 5th, 2010, 7:18 pm
    stevez wrote:They also offer Sriracha, as can be seen in this picture I took back in 2007. Of course, given that it's Ft. Wayne, that exact same bottle is probably still there, only slightly more used than it was 3 years ago.

I didn't notice Sriracha but wasn't looking for it either. I thought the burgers were just about perfect as served and in no need of condimentation. I even preferred the hamburger to the cheeseburger. I thought the cheese slightly interfered with the grilled onion goodness.

Have a look at this similar shot taken three years later. Note the shelf: two ketchups, two mustards, Frank's and salt in exactly the same arrangement. Things don't change much at Powers.

• Post #27 - August 5th, 2011, 6:52 am
    Post #27 - August 5th, 2011, 6:52 am Post #27 - August 5th, 2011, 6:52 am
    Another stop at Powers for more great burgers. A single is now $1.00 and extra onions have skyrocketed to $0.15, one of the best burger deals anywhere. Here's a pair with extra onions.

The cook noticed me taking pictures and kindly prepared a little ketchup art.

Powers is a happy place.

Powers Hamburgers
    "Serving Fort Wayne Since 1940"
    1402 S Harrison St
    Fort Wayne IN
    260-422-6620
    Mon-Wed 5am-10pm, Thu-Fri 5am-midnight, Sat 6am-midnight, closed Sun
    Open later for TinCaps games
  • Post #28 - August 5th, 2011, 7:57 am
    Post #28 - August 5th, 2011, 7:57 am Post #28 - August 5th, 2011, 7:57 am
    Just wondering..I know you go for the sliders...but has anyone tried the Coneys at Powers? Since the awesome Fort Wayne Coney Island joint around the corner sets such a high standard for this area, wondering if Powers' rendition is in the same league....
  • Post #29 - August 5th, 2011, 11:26 am
    Post #29 - August 5th, 2011, 11:26 am Post #29 - August 5th, 2011, 11:26 am
    ParkLaBrea wrote:Just wondering..I know you go for the sliders...but has anyone tried the Coneys at Powers? Since the awesome Fort Wayne Coney Island joint around the corner sets such a high standard for this area, wondering if Powers' rendition is in the same league....

I haven't tried a Coney dog at Powers but next visit I think I'll throw caution to the winds and risk the buck forty. I wonder if they'd make one with grilled onions instead of raw. Unorthodox for sure but it could be tasty.

I had a bowl of chili and was pretty happy with it. Definitely Midwest style—somewhat soupy, with ground beef and beans, sort of a better version of Wendy's chili.

Here's their current menu. I look forward to trying some breakfast items if I'm ever in Fort Wayne early enough.

• Post #30 - January 4th, 2012, 1:24 pm
    Post #30 - January 4th, 2012, 1:24 pm Post #30 - January 4th, 2012, 1:24 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    ParkLaBrea wrote:Just wondering..I know you go for the sliders...but has anyone tried the Coneys at Powers? Since the awesome Fort Wayne Coney Island joint around the corner sets such a high standard for this area, wondering if Powers' rendition is in the same league....

I haven't tried a Coney dog at Powers but next visit I think I'll throw caution to the winds and risk the buck forty.

I recently had a chance to try a Coney dog at Powers.

The wiener is nothing special at all but the Coney sauce is distinctive (it's different than their chili). The usual cinnamon and allspice notes are there but also a strong cumin presence. I like it.

But hamburgers are clearly the way to go at Powers.

I wonder if a dollar can buy a better burger. I'm a big fan of Powers.

While in Fort Wayne we tried a Coney dog from East State Coney, more or less chosen at random from the city's many Coney vendors.

Not much good to say about this one. Abysmal putty-colored sausage, unsteamed bun, unexciting sauce. Beans not much better, seemingly from a can, doctored with a squirt of mustard. Certainly not in Coney Island Wiener Stand's league, not even close.

Powers Hamburgers
    1402 S Harrison St
    Fort Wayne IN
    260-422-6620

East State Coney
    2831 E State Blvd
    Fort Wayne IN
    260-471-1000

Contact

About

Team

Advertize