LTH Home

  Burt's Pizza

  Burt's Pizza
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 10 of 11
  • Post #271 - October 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm
    Post #271 - October 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm Post #271 - October 21st, 2008, 2:43 pm
    For Ice Cream, might I recommend Bellezza Gelato. Currently, they have delicious Risotto and Pumpkin Cheese Cake Gelatos.

    http://bellezzagelato.com/

    Bellezza Gelato
    3637 N Harlem Ave
    Chicago IL 60634
    773.545.1239
  • Post #272 - October 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm
    Post #272 - October 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm Post #272 - October 21st, 2008, 2:44 pm
    iiifrank wrote:I know you're joking, but I once had a dream that Burt also had an ice cream parlor. Yes, I've dreamt about Burt's Place and I'm not too ashamed to admit it. :oops: There were days when his pizza was all I could think about.

    I knew it. Soylent Green.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • Post #273 - October 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm
    Post #273 - October 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm Post #273 - October 21st, 2008, 3:33 pm
    cito wrote:
    LuvstoEat wrote:No, to be pre-emptive to what many of you may be thinking, I DO NOT expect any sort of preferential treatment because of my long standing customer status. What I did expect was the ability to enjoy my meal in a time frame which was acceptable to all concerned.


    If I had "long standing customer status", I WOULD EXPECT some kind of preferential treatment (within reason, of course)---- This is a perk that goes with the territory in ANY business relationship,and it is not unreasonable to expect it once in a while.

    What confounds me is why there are so many "fanboys" and "Kool-Aid drinkers" when it comes to this place (and their methods)? The guy makes a good pizza, but it is not transcendent by any means.

    If long-time customers are presently being treated like crap, maybe it's time for Burt to close the dining room and add another oven and go to carryout only. I can only imagine how bizarre things will be after the Tony Bourdain segment airs.


    I'm buddy's daughter, I've known Burt and Sharon all my life (sorry LuvstoEat- I've got you beat by 15 years!) and I couldn't get in on the night when Anthony Bourdain was there. I was disappointed, but I knew I waited too long (four days prior) to try to get in. They've been requesting for years now, long before LTH, Time Out, Saveur or Anthony Bourdain came along, that people call ahead with their orders.

    Like I said, I think setting up a separate website with just the menu, location/phone number and a message in flashing fluorescent letters saying "IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CALL AHEAD- WHEN WE RUN OUT OF INGREDIENTS FOR THE NIGHT, THAT'S ALL WE HAVE!" or something to that effect is a good idea.

    Cito, I'm as confounded by the reluctance people have to simply call ahead as you are by the fanboys. Anyone who's read a page or two of this thread knows the logistical issues with Burt's. I am sad to say that I have witnessed, and at times been on the business end of Sharon being overwhelmed by all the business they've gotten in the past couple of years. I don't take it personally, I can see her working her butt off there and I hope I'm still able to keep up as well as she does at her age. It's too bad some people have had experiences bad enough that they can't bring themselves to go back and that's truly not a criticism of anyone- I'm really sorry that the bad experience outweighed the product for you. I hope you're enjoying food somewhere else as much as I and many other people enjoy Burt's pizza.
  • Post #274 - October 21st, 2008, 4:12 pm
    Post #274 - October 21st, 2008, 4:12 pm Post #274 - October 21st, 2008, 4:12 pm
    abe_froeman wrote:Cito, I'm as confounded by the reluctance people have to simply call ahead as you are by the fanboys.

    Have there really been many here who, once made to understand that calling ahead is necessary, have expressed reluctance to do it? That hasn't been my take. I'm seeing people who wish they had known it was required (as opposed to highly advisable), and I'm seeing people who did call ahead only to have a less than satisfactory experience at Burt's anyway--and, of course, I'm seeing lots of people who have continued to have only good times at Burt's. Maybe there've been one or two who said, "If I have to call ahead, I'm going somewhere else," but my impression is that hasn't been the main thrust.

    Now that I think about it, though, there are times when you just can't get your head around what you want on your pizza until you're surrounded by pizza-osity, decompressing with your first brew, etc. I can understand that. For those times, Burt's obviously isn't the place.
  • Post #275 - October 21st, 2008, 4:34 pm
    Post #275 - October 21st, 2008, 4:34 pm Post #275 - October 21st, 2008, 4:34 pm
    I just wanted to mention that we shot the Bourdain Chicago episode at Burt's later on a Sunday night to cause the least disruption possible. (Sorry Buddy's daughter that you of all people got shut out!) And it was a discussion with Burt. We had no expectations of sweeping in and taking over his place. I'd even warned Tony that Burt would decide after meeting him whether or not we'd be allowed in the kitchen. We considered the sanctity of Burt's business as much as we did L20 and Blackbird. BTW not that she needs the back up because she can more than hold her own - not to mention she's got law enforcement for kids - but anyone who is challenging Sharon's honour had better answer to those of us who will valiantly defend it. My sister Annie and I were in the last night of service before Burt's medical leave of absence and witnessed Sharon patiently answering a string of questions from someone who'd ended up there on a friend's rec and was waiting quite vocally for said friend. Sharon explained that no, they did not have a hamburger pizza among many, many, many other non sequitur questions with a mother's patience. FYI for anyone who's never worked a small family restaurant - as Burt's blessedly remains despite the muscling in of the Food Media Mafia - things get hectic. Even my beloved, late, sainted grandmother and I raised our voices to one another on a busy Friday night - God help me.
  • Post #276 - October 22nd, 2008, 7:03 am
    Post #276 - October 22nd, 2008, 7:03 am Post #276 - October 22nd, 2008, 7:03 am
    Louisa Chu wrote:anyone who is challenging Sharon's honour had better answer to those of us who will valiantly defend it.

    If anyone were challenging Sharon's honor, I'd be one of those defending it, because I am 2-0 at Burt's--two visits, two wonderful experiences, including delightful interactions with Sharon and Burt--and, by the way, no advance ordering from us on either of these Friday nights yet no grumbling--but the "challenging Sharon's honor" could only be facetious exaggeration, right? I've read some here saying they felt less than well-treated at Burt's, but that's different.

    There's a tendency for people to man the battlements when they feel their pet restaurants are under attack, which causes them to man the battlements even when there's no attack. With Burt's, I understand the feeling. A place as rare as Burt's in this day and age does need protection; to paraphrase Barry Goldwater, "Extremism in the defense of Burt's is no vice." But I still think we ought to accept as true, and respect, the reports of those who had different experiences from us. Now if anybody did attack Sharon's honor...where's my cudgel?
  • Post #277 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:08 am
    Post #277 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:08 am Post #277 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:08 am
    Ok, "reluctance" wasn't the word I should have used....maybe "gripe" would be a better one. For those of us who love Burt's pizza, it's worth the extra step; i just don't understand why people are so riled up and think that it's unacceptable to have to do it. The necessity of calling ahead is the reality of the situation and it's not going to change. He's not going to go delivery or carry out-only, it's not going to be a private restaurant and no one is going to get any special privileges.

    I understand if you don't know ahead of time, it's an inconvenience and could potentially screw up your evening, and certainly, if you're a regular reader of this thread, you have no one to blame but yourself.

    Louisa, thanks for the apology; it really wasn't necessary- I should have known better. I'm just really excited to see the episode, for you and Anthony, for Chicago and for Burt's.
  • Post #278 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:16 am
    Post #278 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:16 am Post #278 - October 22nd, 2008, 8:16 am
    abe_froeman wrote:Ok, "reluctance" wasn't the word I should have used....maybe "gripe" would be a better one. For those of us who love Burt's pizza, it's worth the extra step; i just don't understand why people are so riled up and think that it's unacceptable to have to do it. The necessity of calling ahead is the reality of the situation and it's not going to change. He's not going to go delivery or carry out-only, it's not going to be a private restaurant and no one is going to get any special privileges.

    I understand if you don't know ahead of time, it's an inconvenience and could potentially screw up your evening, and certainly, if you're a regular reader of this thread, you have no one to blame but yourself.

    Louisa, thanks for the apology; it really wasn't necessary- I should have known better. I'm just really excited to see the episode, for you and Anthony, for Chicago and for Burt's.


    I think the original issues regarding the calling ahead to place an order has been covered. I believe the important issue is the sometimes less than friendly customer service that is given. I have seen it happen on one of my two visits, it didnt happen to me, but a customer who was turned away rather rudely. It is ok to run your business how you see fit, but is never ok to be rude, it kind of turned me off to Burt's, and I doubt I will make the 80 mile trek back up there. Nothing personal, Just me voting with my wallet, and my right as a customer.
  • Post #279 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:02 am
    Post #279 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:02 am Post #279 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:02 am
    abe_froeman wrote:Ok, "reluctance" wasn't the word I should have used....maybe "gripe" would be a better one. For those of us who love Burt's pizza, [ordering ahead is] worth the extra step; i just don't understand why people are so riled up and think that it's unacceptable to have to do it.

    "Gripe" doesn't match what I'm seeing here, either, not as applied to the ordering ahead. The gripes are, "I wish I'd been told on the phone that ordering ahead was necessary," and "I was treated rudely at the restaurant." A gripe about ordering ahead would be, "I don't see why any pizza place has the right to demand that I order ahead, and it's out of line for Burt's to insist on it." If anybody has expressed that sentiment, I sure haven't seen a lot of it on this thread.
  • Post #280 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:55 am
    Post #280 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:55 am Post #280 - October 22nd, 2008, 9:55 am
    ..
    Burt's menu, hours and phone number may be found -> here

    I posted the same link in Reference to make easier to find when this thread goes to the next page.

    Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #281 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:00 am
    Post #281 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:00 am Post #281 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:00 am
    thank you GWIV, the best post in the thread. i will be ordering soon, thanks to this menu and thanks to this debate :P
  • Post #282 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:09 am
    Post #282 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:09 am Post #282 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:09 am
    Gary--This may all be part of an evil plot to keep people from calling ahead, but isn't Burt's phone number 847/965-7997? (not 7887 as you have on your menu page....)
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #283 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:16 am
    Post #283 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:16 am Post #283 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:16 am
    That's Gary's secret hotline. He also left the "hamburger" topping option off.

    [/going into the Witness Protection Program]

    Seriously, thanks for the menu scan. Reminds me how outrageously good the prices are in addition to the quality (two thin crust pies from Salerno's are $40 at this point).
  • Post #284 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:19 am
    Post #284 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:19 am Post #284 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:19 am
    tarte tatin wrote:but isn't Burt's phone number 847/965-7997?

    TT,

    Fixed, thanks to your sharp eye.

    Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #285 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:24 am
    Post #285 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:24 am Post #285 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:24 am
    Santander wrote:Seriously, thanks for the menu scan.

    Steve Z scanned and sent, he had a menu, I made the web 101 Burt's menu site.

    Teamwork!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #286 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 am
    Post #286 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 am Post #286 - October 22nd, 2008, 10:34 am
    Santander wrote:That's Gary's secret hotline.


    Yes, that thought did occur to me before I posted about the phone number.

    I must confess that I noticed the error only because I have Burt's number right next to my computer--literally. The wisdom of calling ahead was impressed upon me many pages ago in this thread....
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

    "You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #287 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:22 am
    Post #287 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:22 am Post #287 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:22 am
    OK...customers just created a website for a company that refuses to admit the internet exists.

    I wonder if Burt would be pissed if he found out...
  • Post #288 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am
    Post #288 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am Post #288 - October 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am
    Never having been to Burt's, I have to say, I appreciate all the posts in this thread. What it boils down to is, "Burt's pizza is incredible, possibly transcendent. Burt and Sharon are generally lovely, but extremely quirky, and occasionally rude. Some people don't care about the quirks and rudeness because they love the pizza so much and know the system well. Then again, some people find these issues frustrating enough to turn them off for good. Caveat emptor." It's actually very helpful to know all of this, including the bad experiences, regardless of who's "fault" it is.
  • Post #289 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:03 pm
    Post #289 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:03 pm Post #289 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:03 pm
    G Wiv,
    I'm not sure if this whole Burt's menu online is a joke or not, but in case it's not:
    Two small critiques if I may, just to have all the bases covered.

    1. I think that menu might be a little old. You should have somewhere on there that prices may have changed, or are subject to change, etc. (i think the most recent one is Oct 2007)

    2. You really need the CREDIT CARDS NYET! on there somewhere. I can see that being the next quibble about Burt's. "I went there, followed all the rules, etc, and they wouldn't take my credit card"
  • Post #290 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:32 pm
    Post #290 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:32 pm Post #290 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:32 pm
    Hey - it's on Wiv's personal site, for LTH eyes only at the moment, and if there is anyone Burt would trust to make a public one, it would be Gary anyway.
  • Post #291 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:41 pm
    Post #291 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:41 pm Post #291 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:41 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:...He's not going to change and I'm guessing that he couldn't care less about about the complaints. He's obviously at capacity and has a large enough customer base that he's not worrying about eroding it, at this point

    ....I get the distinct feeling that Burt's been doing this long enough to have already considered the potential repercussions of his actions, and determined that he doesn't give a rat's ass. When is the customer not always right? When the business owner in question can survive on his own terms. In many ways, I envy Burt. I'm not at liberty to run my business the way he runs his but a boy can dream . . . :wink:
    =R=


    Ronnie:

    I know you're respectful of Burt and a big fan. But I must disagree with you.

    I too learned of Burt's from this board. The first time I called to order a pizza, Sharon asked for a phone order. I told her I'd call before we came. Two hours later when I called to order, she told me they were out of dough. Frankly it made my curiousity grow. A month or two later, the first time I ate there, was also the first time GWiv was there.

    But I can't tell you how many times since then Burt has told me that he does care about his customers. That's exactly the reason for his call ahead preference. To paraphrase him, he doesn't seem to feel that he will lose customers as long as he continues to provide quality pizza and as long as he is honest about what he can deliver and what he can't.

    He does not like to turn people away. But he can't deliver a pizza that he doesn't have the supplies for, and he'd rather people not come and be disappointed... either by a sub par pizza or by no pizza at all.
  • Post #292 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:45 pm
    Post #292 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:45 pm Post #292 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:45 pm
    sweetsalty wrote:Never having been to Burt's, I have to say, I appreciate all the posts in this thread. What it boils down to is, "Burt's pizza is incredible, possibly transcendent. Burt and Sharon are generally lovely, but extremely quirky, and occasionally rude. Some people don't care about the quirks and rudeness because they love the pizza so much and know the system well. Then again, some people find these issues frustrating enough to turn them off for good. Caveat emptor." It's actually very helpful to know all of this, including the bad experiences, regardless of who's "fault" it is.


    I think sweetsalty just won this thread.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.
  • Post #293 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:59 pm
    Post #293 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:59 pm Post #293 - October 22nd, 2008, 12:59 pm
    Screw the pizza . . . I'm waiting for reports on the hamburgers, ravioli and lasagna before I ever go to Burt's. :wink:
  • Post #294 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm
    Post #294 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm Post #294 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:29 pm
    the onion rings are good... so is a pitcher of beer :twisted:
  • Post #295 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:33 pm
    Post #295 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:33 pm Post #295 - October 22nd, 2008, 1:33 pm
    :D Sparky refused pizza when we were at Burts, and really enjoyed the ravioli. All I remember about them is that they were huge.
  • Post #296 - October 22nd, 2008, 2:24 pm
    Post #296 - October 22nd, 2008, 2:24 pm Post #296 - October 22nd, 2008, 2:24 pm
    Eric wrote:I'm not sure if this whole Burt's menu online is a joke or not, but in case it's not:
    Two small critiques if I may, just to have all the bases covered.

    Eric,

    I added cash only and took off the pricing as they were out of date. Call for prices.

    This is not the official Burt's site, it's simply a convenience for members of LTHForum.

    Enjoy,
    Gary

    Edit to reflect update
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #297 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:21 pm
    Post #297 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:21 pm Post #297 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:21 pm
    ah wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:...He's not going to change and I'm guessing that he couldn't care less about about the complaints. He's obviously at capacity and has a large enough customer base that he's not worrying about eroding it, at this point

    ....I get the distinct feeling that Burt's been doing this long enough to have already considered the potential repercussions of his actions, and determined that he doesn't give a rat's ass. When is the customer not always right? When the business owner in question can survive on his own terms. In many ways, I envy Burt. I'm not at liberty to run my business the way he runs his but a boy can dream . . . :wink:
    =R=


    Ronnie:

    I know you're respectful of Burt and a big fan. But I must disagree with you.

    I too learned of Burt's from this board. The first time I called to order a pizza, Sharon asked for a phone order. I told her I'd call before we came. Two hours later when I called to order, she told me they were out of dough. Frankly it made my curiousity grow. A month or two later, the first time I ate there, was also the first time GWiv was there.

    But I can't tell you how many times since then Burt has told me that he does care about his customers. That's exactly the reason for his call ahead preference. To paraphrase him, he doesn't seem to feel that he will lose customers as long as he continues to provide quality pizza and as long as he is honest about what he can deliver and what he can't.

    He does not like to turn people away. But he can't deliver a pizza that he doesn't have the supplies for, and he'd rather people not come and be disappointed... either by a sub par pizza or by no pizza at all.

    Yes, I was being extreme (to make a point) and I know that Burt does care about his customers. But I don't think that Burt has to change, which is the comment to which I was mainly responding. He is who he is and he has a routine that works for him. Love him or leave him, is all I'm sayin'.

    =R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

    There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #298 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:36 pm
    Post #298 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:36 pm Post #298 - October 22nd, 2008, 3:36 pm
    gleam wrote:
    sweetsalty wrote:Never having been to Burt's, I have to say, I appreciate all the posts in this thread. What it boils down to is, "Burt's pizza is incredible, possibly transcendent. Burt and Sharon are generally lovely, but extremely quirky, and occasionally rude. Some people don't care about the quirks and rudeness because they love the pizza so much and know the system well. Then again, some people find these issues frustrating enough to turn them off for good. Caveat emptor." It's actually very helpful to know all of this, including the bad experiences, regardless of who's "fault" it is.


    I think sweetsalty just won this thread.


    i second that emotion
  • Post #299 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:36 pm
    Post #299 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:36 pm Post #299 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:36 pm
    krm61965 wrote:
    gleam wrote:
    sweetsalty wrote:Never having been to Burt's, I have to say, I appreciate all the posts in this thread. What it boils down to is, "Burt's pizza is incredible, possibly transcendent. Burt and Sharon are generally lovely, but extremely quirky, and occasionally rude. Some people don't care about the quirks and rudeness because they love the pizza so much and know the system well. Then again, some people find these issues frustrating enough to turn them off for good. Caveat emptor." It's actually very helpful to know all of this, including the bad experiences, regardless of who's "fault" it is.


    I think sweetsalty just won this thread.


    i second that emotion

    I third it. It's why people shouldn't get so defensive (as they sometimes get, in my opinion) when reports of bad experiences at their favorite places come in. It's all instructive, so long as the bad reports aren't false and so long as the good reports aren't false.
  • Post #300 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    Post #300 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm Post #300 - October 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    More importantly, it's that everything that can be said has been said, and that people should read sweetsalty's summation and move on with their lives.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

    RIP LTH.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more