LTH Home

A little late in Waukegan?

A little late in Waukegan?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • A little late in Waukegan?

Post #1 - July 31st, 2008, 10:23 pm
    Post #1 - July 31st, 2008, 10:23 pm Post #1 - July 31st, 2008, 10:23 pm
    Himself is giving a class on geocaching Aug. 12 at the Waukegan Public Library. Naturally, I view that as an excuse to eat in an area I don't get to very often.

As the date is a Tuesday, and it's a schlep for us, I know we won't have time to eat dinner before it starts at 7 p.m., and although it's only supposed to take an hour, the inevitable chit-chat and GPS comparisons afterwards probably mean that it'll be 9-ish before we can look for dinner.

Is Waukegan one of those towns where they roll up the sidewalks early on weeknights? What are the good options that will be open nearby? (The library is at 128 N. County St.) Looking for any interesting food, but nothing expensive.
  • Post #2 - August 1st, 2008, 6:11 am
    Post #2 - August 1st, 2008, 6:11 am Post #2 - August 1st, 2008, 6:11 am
    In my experience the area around the library and courthouse downtown is really a food wasteland. I almost never eat in Waukegan when I am on trial at the Lake County Court House because there really is nothing within walking distance except the Burgundy Room on Washington St. and a little hot dog stand south of washington on court st across from the Lake County jail. Neither option is very exciting--if desperate i can eat the fries at the hot dog stand.

I haven't explored the area myslef, perhaps some here have, but there seems to be a few taquerias/carnicerias on washington west of downtown on the way back to the expressway. Waukegan has a large latino population of many nationalities, hopefully some of them are cooking the good stuff.

If you find something in the immediate courthouse area let us know. I havent been that lucky.
  • Post #3 - August 1st, 2008, 8:00 am
    Post #3 - August 1st, 2008, 8:00 am Post #3 - August 1st, 2008, 8:00 am
    Hi,

If you want to try something really good, then I would get on Sheridan Road heading north into Zion. If you were at Genesee and Grand Aves, in the downtown district, this will be less than a 15 minute drive. I would go to Captain Porky's for their jumbo fried shrimp, which they weigh, then bread and fry for around $13/pound. You can eat in the car or eat on the picnic benches just outside. While this is not sit down service, you will get the best fried shrimp in the area.

Captain Porky's has an aquarium smoker who smoke their ribs over lump charcoal and apple wood. He also brines and smokes salmon and trout, which are pretty good.

Hillery's BBQ on Lewis Ave less than 2 miles north of Grand Ave is the only other establishment (they have several locations) with an aquarium smoker. However they use charcoal and nothing else. They are take-out with benches in the front.

Many Mexican restaurants are open after 9 PM. I don't know how late into the night, though certainly after 9 PM.

I would definitely buy gas in this area. I tend to go to Speedway on Grand just east of 41.

Of course, you are now close enough to the Wisconsin border, that a trip to Woodman's is very practical. If you really want to trip the light fantastic, then go to the drive-ins in Kenosha that do have late night hours. Most have carhops (Andy's has a diner and no carhops I have ever seen) who take your order and mount your tray on the window.

This area is not a wilderness of food. It is there if you care to seek it out.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #4 - August 1st, 2008, 8:35 am
    Post #4 - August 1st, 2008, 8:35 am Post #4 - August 1st, 2008, 8:35 am
    Lots of Mexican options in the area. One taqueria I would recommend is located downtown on Water street between Genessee and Sheridan in an old diner. The name currently escapes me.

For solid Italian-American, I would recommend Louie's on North. Nothing mind blowing, but good thin crust pizza and bombers. Very reasonable prices.

Not sure of the hours of either.

Louie's
    1009 North Ave
    Waukegan, IL 60085
    (847) 244-0101
  • Post #5 - August 1st, 2008, 9:03 am
    Post #5 - August 1st, 2008, 9:03 am Post #5 - August 1st, 2008, 9:03 am
    M-

What do you think of Quonset Hut on Grand for their pizza? I have never been, though I get mixed reviews from people.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - August 1st, 2008, 9:36 am
    Post #6 - August 1st, 2008, 9:36 am Post #6 - August 1st, 2008, 9:36 am
    Cathy2,
    I like the pizza at Quonset. Its a good thin crust. Very no frills atmosphere and service. My experience has led me to stick to the pizza, the sandwhiches are only ok. Another good recommendation for the area.

Quonset Pizza‎
    2602 Grand Ave, Waukegan, IL
    (847) 623-7115‎
  • Post #7 - August 24th, 2008, 3:39 am
    Post #7 - August 24th, 2008, 3:39 am Post #7 - August 24th, 2008, 3:39 am
    LAZ wrote:Is Waukegan one of those towns where they roll up the sidewalks early on weeknights?

Yes, it is. Even though Ted Nugent was playing at the Gennessee Theater that night, downtown Waukegan was dead before 9:30. We drove around looking for taquerias, but they were all either shut or looking like they were about to shut.

We decided to get out to the bigger highways, and discovered Shirl's Drive In.

The hot dogs were fair; we tried a bacon cheese dog, a skinless dog which came with Cheez-Whiz and bacon and no other condiments, and a foot-long, which came with ketchup, :cry: mustard, relish and onions on a roll too fat for the skinny dog.

The wings and fries probably came from a freezer bag, but they were nice and crisp. The battered "Inferno" wings had some heat to them.

The soft-serve was very good, creamy and fresh tasting, with a definite blueberry flavor in the blueberry version (though no actual fruit).

A fun place to stop on a summer evening. There's no seating inside, but several tables outside, plus a drive-thru.

Inferno wings

Bacon cheese dog

Image Image

Blueberry soft-serve and dipped cone

Shirl's Drive In
    2132 N. Lewis Ave., Waukegan
    (847) 623-8484
  • Post #8 - June 27th, 2011, 11:19 am
    Post #8 - June 27th, 2011, 11:19 am Post #8 - June 27th, 2011, 11:19 am
    I had a surprisingly good meal in Waukegan on Saturday. I stopped at Paragon as it was the only non-Mexican place near where I was working and I needed to be done within the hour. I wasn't expecting much more than a simple diner meal. I ordered the broasted chicken dinner, which came with soup and dessert.

The chicken noodle soup was very good, but it came with this outstanding dinner roll. I wish I asked for some to go. It was huge, fluffy and chewy and lacquered with an egg-yolk sheen. Incredibun.
    The braised chicken could have used a wee bit of seasoning, but the meat was tender and juicy and if the time hadn't been inching so quickly towards my start time, I could have finished this entire 1/2 bird in one sitting. The coleslaw that came with it was just the way slaw oughta be: big discernible chunks of carrot and cabbage, just enough mayo, not too spicy/creamy/vinegary but a nice balance of all three. My only complaint was my substituted green beans for the broasted potato—the beans were clearly either canned or overcooked, and they were the shredded kind that I don't like. Unfortunately, I did not have time for dessert, and I assumed it was the Jell-O/rice pudding/tapioca/ice cream variety, so I couldn't leave it in the car for 8 hours. However, I did make an annoying customer request: I asked my teenage server to wrap up the leftover chicken with a baggie of ice so I could safely store it in my trunk. I gave her a very nice tip.

The price for all this deliciousness: $12 with tax. This place is open til midnight on weeknights, but on Friday & Saturday they're open 24 hours.

Paragon Restaurant
    2101 Grand Avenue
    Waukegan, IL, 60085
    contact@eatparagon.com
    847-623-6820
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #9 - May 4th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #9 - May 4th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #9 - May 4th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    On our way to see Todd Rundgren at the Genesee Theater last night in Waukegan, we tried to go to a number of places, Non-Mexican as we had just been in San Antonio this past weekend.

There was a Filipino buffet place that of course was closed on Wednesdays, then we tried to stop by a Korean place that was no longer in business.

We ended up at Papa Marcos Middle Eastern.

Not that I usually care about a place being uber clean, I noted that this place has to be one of the cleanest restaurants I've ever been in, even the rest rooms, spotless.

We tried both hummus & baba ghanouj. Hummus had pronounce lemon kick. Baba Ghanouj was missing the char I like but none the less was enjoyable.

Mrs Willie & I both had the lamb pita wraps. The wraps are small but tasty.

Owner is omnipresent and all the staff were very attentive.

I'd be curious next time as to how the kabobs or salads are.

Papa Marcos
    622 Grand Ave
    Waukegan, IL 60085
    (224) 656-5809
    http://papamarcosrestaurant.com/
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more