Evanston Chicken Shack + Usmania for Paya [Pictures]

Evanston Chicken Shack + Usmania for Paya [Pictures]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Evanston Chicken Shack + Usmania for Paya [Pictures]

Post #1 - October 30th, 2004, 6:23 pm
    Post #1 - October 30th, 2004, 6:23 pm Post #1 - October 30th, 2004, 6:23 pm
    LTH,

Evanston Chicken Shack has excellent fried chicken, though I didn't realize just how good until Thursday evening.

The reason being the few times I have eaten my chicken in the small dining/waiting room has been alone, Thursday my enjoyment was greatly enhanced by the company of Cathy2, who is also an aficionado of ECS, FastFoodSnob, who lived up to his name by bringing his own hot sauce to ECS and having an encyclopedic knowledge of fast food establishments, Hattyn and her sister Karen.

Hattyn is, as one might suspect, an interesting person, though to interesting I'd add intelligent and, frankly, somewhat enigmatic. Hattyn's sister Karen was a pleasure to meet as well, though, and I think she will admit this freely, not all that adventurous culinarily wise. For example, when, as we were finishing our chicken the talk, naturally, turned to where we were going next. Which seemed natural to C2, The Snob, Hattyn and myself, though foreign to Karen.

We kicked around the idea of going to Marly for hot chocolate, Davis Street for oysters, and even LTH for pan fried rice noodle, but then hit upon the idea of hot-footing it over to Devon for Indian sole food. Yep, we trotted over to Usmania for Paya, beef foot prepared in the same style as nehari.

The paya was pure foot goodness, tender cartilage, soft, rich, gelatinous, with a spicy, deep flavored broth.

I had spoken to Evil Ronnie earlier in the week about his recent Paya experience, he mentioned that the broth, as it cooled, started to get thick and viscous, though ours did not, staying silky smooth, almost satiny, throughout the course of the meal.

We also had mutton biryani, which was quite good as well.

Daal Palak, a flavorful, slightly spicy mix of spinach and lentil.

Onion Kulcha (right), one of C2's favorites, nan (left) and, to my taste, quite delicious paratha (foreground).

Our meal, which I found quite good, with one salt lassi, included Indian style salad accompaniments, tamarind and yogurt sauce,

friendly, attentive, service, though there was a bit of a language barrier, was a reasonable $31.

For those wanting to dip a toe, ankle, or whole foot into Paya, I'd recommend Usmania. :)

I'd also like to thank Zim for, not only the paya info, but for all the Indian food info he has so generously shared.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Evanston Chicken Shack
    1925 Ridge Ave
    Evanston, IL
    847-328-9360

Usmania
    2253 W Devon
    Chicago, Il 60659
    773-262-1900

Marly Chocolates
    (847) 328-3333
    527 Davis St
    Evanston, IL 60201
    Last edited by G Wiv on October 31st, 2004, 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #2 - October 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm
    Post #2 - October 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm Post #2 - October 30th, 2004, 7:40 pm
    Thank you for not scaring the younger and more sensitive viewers with my picture.Or do I not show up on film?And I asked my older sister,she confirmed at one time it was a Medici.Or at least there was a Medici sign ,perhaps they never opened.
  • Post #3 - October 30th, 2004, 11:26 pm
    Post #3 - October 30th, 2004, 11:26 pm Post #3 - October 30th, 2004, 11:26 pm
    The bread and biryani made some excellent leftovers yesterday, and it was great to finally sit down to a good helping from the Evanston Chicken Shack. Simply put: food exploration = fun. Thanks for the great night out!
  • Post #4 - October 31st, 2004, 12:17 pm
    Post #4 - October 31st, 2004, 12:17 pm Post #4 - October 31st, 2004, 12:17 pm
    I live pretty close to both the Chicken Shack and Hecky's (which are by extension close to each other) and I have to say I don't get why the Chicken Shack is always written about so fondly while Hecky's gets barely a mention when fried chicken is discussed. I think Hecky's is truly excellent fried chicken, which the Shack is just fair, in my opinion. I recognize that Hecky's is more heavily breaded, but that's they way I like it -- surely there are others who feel the same!
    ToniG
  • Post #5 - October 31st, 2004, 1:13 pm
    Post #5 - October 31st, 2004, 1:13 pm Post #5 - October 31st, 2004, 1:13 pm
    ToniG wrote: I recognize that Hecky's is more heavily breaded, but that's they way I like it -- surely there are others who feel the same!

I am not among that group. I prefer ECS head and beak above Hecky's for chicken.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - October 31st, 2004, 3:54 pm
    Post #6 - October 31st, 2004, 3:54 pm Post #6 - October 31st, 2004, 3:54 pm
    ToniG wrote:...I have to say I don't get why the Chicken Shack is always written about so fondly...
    Having a coupon helps. (Or someone else paying!) :wink:
  • Post #7 - October 31st, 2004, 5:25 pm
    Post #7 - October 31st, 2004, 5:25 pm Post #7 - October 31st, 2004, 5:25 pm
    Hi,

Truthfully, I have not had chicken at Hecky's. I have not had the BBQ at Evanston Chicken Shack either. I have tried at each place what they put front and center as their forte. I have been to Hecky's several times for the ribs and tips, which leaves me cold. I also prefer fried chicken which is not heavily crusted. So, I guess ECS works for me relative to my taste and preferences. Of course, I will never turn down chicken no matter how it is prepared, though I will not chase after a heavier crust.

&&&

I arrived late to ECS, though just in time to eat! The chicken fresh off the grease was terrific. We had them apply hot sauce to the wings before presenting our order. I guess it wasn't too hot, as in spicy, since I could eat it.

We did treat the ECS visit somewhat at snack proportions, ok maybe just a bit more than snack, to allow us to address our meal at Usmania with something approaching enthusiasm. We were quite delighted Hattyn decided to continue on with us, though her sister needed to leave.

Usmania was clean, neat and fast with the food. As I walked in, I already ordered my salt lassi and got the usual response of, "Are you sure?" Indian places are always sure I am mistaken, that I want a sweet drink instead but no, I want the SALT lassi!!

Gary is correct in pointing out I am quite fond of the onion-laden kulcha, which went well with the spinach as well as soaking up the juices from the foot stew Paya. The mutton biryani was great and even better the next morning for breakfast. I was quite impressed and curious by the varying shades of yellow rice. Lovely to look at and delicious to eat.

Just before entering the restaurant, I picked up copies of the Reader for everyone. We read with interest about Sticky Rice, especially pleased to find mention of LTHforum member Erik M being attributed for the translated menu.

Not surprisingly, we learned Hattyn has quite a sharp memory for detail. I had had lunch with George R earlier in the day and had forgotten the restaurant's name. Once she knew it was near Spice House, she began rattling off places in the immediate vicinity until one rang a bell. As I had privately predicted, she and I are around the same age because many locations of restaurants past I knew of when some others, even long ago transplants, had never heard of. So it was great fun to interact with Hattyn in the flesh.

It was also our pleasure to meet FastFoodSnob. He is like a lot of us, a lone wolf, the odd one in the family obsessed with food. Like Gary said, you cannot help but like a guy who brings his own hot sauce.

As much as I enjoyed the food, the company and conversation were the highlights of the evening.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #8 - November 1st, 2004, 2:38 am
    Post #8 - November 1st, 2004, 2:38 am Post #8 - November 1st, 2004, 2:38 am
    ToniG wrote:I think Hecky's is truly excellent fried chicken, which the Shack is just fair, in my opinion.

Tony,

Hecky's is the best BBQ North on the North side, though that honor, as being the tallest mountain in Kansas, falls in to the category of distinction without a difference. :)

Possibly Hecky's fried chicken is elevated to a higher plain, no way to find out without trying. I'll be sure to report back, though it's going to be tough to replace Evanston Chicken Shack as my favorite North side fried chicken. My favorite South side fried chicken comes from the 64th and Cottage Grove Harold's.

Speaking of fried chicken, I tried Halal Fried Chicken last week. I see great potential, but the batch I had was incredibly salty and the crust was slightly greasy, almost as if the oil was at slightly too low of a temperature. It just occurred to me that my experience was very similar to Zim's.

I think Halal Fried Chicken has potential, the crust, in addition to enough salt to make me thirsty for the next 24-hours, had a little heat and, even though it was greasy, a little crunch. The chicken, itself, was juicy and flavorful, though I ordered thighs, which are difficult, though by no means impossible, to dry out.

I'll go back to HFC once more, possibly twice, but if the salt quotient and grease level remain the same I will scratch HFC from my list of fried chicken spots.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Evanston Chicken Shack
    1925 Ridge Ave
    Evanston, IL
    847-328-9360

Hecky's Barbecue Inc
    1902 Green Bay Rd
    Evanston, IL 60201
    847-492-1182

Harold's Chicken Shack No 2
    6419 S Cottage Grove Ave
    Chicago, IL 60637
    773-363-9586

Halal Fried Chicken
    2739 W Devon
    Chicago, IL 60659
    773-973-4020
  • Post #9 - November 1st, 2004, 10:01 am
    Post #9 - November 1st, 2004, 10:01 am Post #9 - November 1st, 2004, 10:01 am
    Funny thing is, I actually don't like Hecky's ribs as much as some others around -- Merle's are better, I think. But the chicken -- I guess I'm in the minority here, but I am a fried chicken devotee. We spent a summer vacation a few years back driving through Kentucky, eating chicken and BBQ every chance we had (which in KY was at every stop, just about) and I still like Hecky's chicken just as well. But I will say I do like the chicken at Pearl's Place on the south side, and the greens there are the best I've had. The smothered chicken there is great, too, if you like rich, tasty and fatty gravy on top of your fried chicken. How do you like the chicken and etc. there?
    ToniG
  • Post #10 - November 1st, 2004, 5:36 pm
    Post #10 - November 1st, 2004, 5:36 pm Post #10 - November 1st, 2004, 5:36 pm
    Hi,

Truthfully, I have not had chicken at Hecky's. I have not had the BBQ at Evanston Chicken Shack either. I have tried at each place what put front and center as their forte. I have been to Hecky's several times for the ribs and tips, which leaves me cold. I also prefer fried chicken which is not heavily crusted. So, I guess ECSthey works for me relative to my taste and preferences. Of course, I will never turn down chicken no matter how it is prepared, though I will not chase after a heavier crust.

I too had only tried Hecky's for BBQ a while ago - and its ok, one of the better
    ones in the area, but really not that great. Once youve done Barbara Ann's
    links etc, Hecky's really doesnt stack up I think. However, I read about Hecky's
    Fried Chicken on the old board I think - and tried it, and found it pretty damn
    good. Have also tried ECS since and both of them are very good IMHO -
    both of them fresh out of the grease the times I had em (and the fries
    etc were better at ECS the time I had em).

Since youre such a chikcen fan, Cathy, I do think you oughta try Hecky's - its
    probably their best item IMHO, far better than their BBQ. Its also fresh (at least,
    when I went for it a couple of times, they told me I had to wait 10 minutes
    for it - and it was clearly fresh when it emerged. Maybe at really busy times
    it wont be, but it was both times for me). You may not find it *better* than
    ECS - Iam not sure I do. But it is a second option for very good fried chicken
    within a few hundred yards :-) And if youre int eh mood for BBQ etc in
    additoin to chicken, Hecky's is probablyt he place (the ECS guys have tips
    and links etc too, but they are made in the oven - I asked the girl behind
    the counter, and thats what she told me. Asked her if she knew anyplace
    where it was smoked nearby, and she said Hecky's was the only spot
    she could think of). But again, I dont think the chicken is neccesarily
    better at Hecky's - and ECS is also probably cheaper (and offers coupons
    as you noted :-)

&&&

I arrived late to ECS, though just in time to eat! The chicken fresh off the grease was terrific. We had them apply hot sauce to the wings before presenting our order. I guess it wasn't too hot, as in spicy, since I could eat it.

I think I tried mine without sauce, so not sure if its any good - will try it the
    next time.

Usmania was clean, neat and fast with the food. As I walked in, I already ordered my salt lassi and got the usual response of, "Are you sure?" Indian places are always sure I am mistaken, that I want a sweet drink instead but no, I want the SALT lassi!!

Your first trip to Usmaniya, no? Glad you made it - and were favourably impressed?
    BTW, I dont do the salt lassi either - I do the mango lassi most of the time :-)

Gary is correct in pointing out I am quite fond of the onion-laden kulcha, which went well with the spinach as well as soaking up the juices from the foot stew Paya. The mutton biryani was great and even better the next morning for breakfast. I was quite impressed and curious by the varying shades of yellow rice. Lovely to look at and delicious to eat.

The Kulcha is decent there - but they say that Bhabi's has better breads (Iam going
    on opinions on here, never tried Bhabi's). Personally Iam happy enough with a
    good paratha - and parathas are decent enough at Usmaniya. Dont think Ive
    ever tried the spinach there - btu then I wouldnt, I think they do meat items best,
    and always stick with them (their kababs were good the last few times too,
    I'd probably have gone with that instead of spinach - but then Iam not a veggie
    fan in general :-)

BTW, biryani should always look a bit like that IMHO - varying yellows etc.
    However Ive never had it for breakfast (though, BTW, paya is often eaten
    as breakfast food - just not in Chicago, because noplace serving Paya opens
    before 1pm here I think. In fact, have eaten both Paya and Nehari for
    breakfast before - they go well with breakfast too :-) Usmaniya does a
    decent Nehari (though Sabri might be better), but their Paya and Biryani
    are really pretty good. Glad you got to try em.

Just before entering the restaurant, I picked up copies of the Reader for everyone. We read with interest about Sticky Rice, especially pleased to find mention of LTHforum member Erik M being attributed for the translated menu.

Where? At the bar next door? :-) (BTW, that bar has Readers sitting around all
    the time - often pickem up from there. It also has karaoke on Saturday nights
    I think, but thats neither here nor there :-)

Sounds like a fun evening. BTW, we're (at least Iam) still waiting on the report
    of a lunch at Hyderabad House - with a degree of eagerness :-) Or have I
    ended up missing it already? You probably paid half the price at HH - but Iam
    curious how you rated the food in comparison to Usmaniya (or didnt you
    try the biryani there too?) And/or how you felt about Usmaniya in comparison
    with Sabri Nehari?

c8w
  • Post #11 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm
    Post #11 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm Post #11 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm
    I had spoken to Evil Ronnie earlier in the week about his recent Paya experience, he mentioned that the broth, as it cooled, started to get thick and viscous, though ours did not, staying silky smooth, almost satiny, throughout the course of the meal.

friendly, attentive, service, though there was a bit of a language barrier, was a reasonable $31.

Has been a little while since I tried the Paya at Usmaniya - but, most Paya Ive
    eaten anywhere, even at the most authentic spots possible, the gravy almost
    *always* gets thick and viscous when it starts to cool. Maybe its because of
    the major ingredient - but it gets almost gelatinous. Always liked to try and
    eat it fairly rapidly as a result :-) You guys were lucky, maybe they just
    heated it up so much that it stayed relatively hot - and thus smooth allt he
    way thru. (Or else you guys ate it pretty rapidly, dunno ;-)

Also, a little surprised at the "language barrier" - maybe it had to do with going
    on a weeknight? The last time I was there on a Saturday night I think, and
    the guy serving us was an undergrad from Kalamazoo or some such,
    temporarily in Chicago for a bit. No language barrier there at all, really
    (the Michigander language isnt *that* different from Northern Illiniois,
    surprisingly).

c8w
  • Post #12 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm
    Post #12 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm Post #12 - November 1st, 2004, 5:53 pm
    Thank you again everyone.Until I went to the Himalaya restaurant about a month ago and Usmania,it had been ages since I had Indian food.I really enjoyed the mutton and feet,wasn't sure what to expect.
  • Post #13 - November 2nd, 2004, 12:54 am
    Post #13 - November 2nd, 2004, 12:54 am Post #13 - November 2nd, 2004, 12:54 am
    c8w wrote:

Has been a little while since I tried the Paya at Usmaniya - but, most Paya Ive eaten anywhere, even at the most authentic spots possible, the gravy almost *always* gets thick and viscous when it starts to cool. Maybe its because of the major ingredient - but it gets almost gelatinous. Always liked to try and eat it fairly rapidly as a result :-) You guys were lucky, maybe they just heated it up so much that it stayed relatively hot - and thus smooth allt he way thru. (Or else you guys ate it pretty rapidly, dunno ;-)

What may have been a factor was having four diners ready to have a go at the paya (as soon as Gary was done taking the necessary pictures, of course). I was a bit wary of hitting animal feet on my first substantial stab at Indian/Pakistani, but it ended up reminding me a lot of ox tail soup (and marrow) from the Orient, though quite a bit more "flavored" (and not the webbed claws I expected). So distributing the "feet" out of the original bowl may have kept a lot of fat from melting into the soup, but that's just what I figure happened.

--Dan
  • Post #14 - November 4th, 2004, 9:27 am
    Post #14 - November 4th, 2004, 9:27 am Post #14 - November 4th, 2004, 9:27 am
    Karen wanted me to say thank you.She had a great time.
  • Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:20 am
    Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:20 am Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:20 am
    Now that would be a paper to pick up! Any idea how I could obtain one, not being an Evanston resident and all? Would it be easy to find like the Reader?
  • Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:31 am
    Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:31 am Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:31 am
    They deliver it to us for free.Any book store in Evanston or the Chicago Main news stand,conveniently located at the corner of Chicago and Main should have it.The news stand is near Cross Rhodes.
  • Post #17 - December 7th, 2004, 1:17 pm
    Post #17 - December 7th, 2004, 1:17 pm Post #17 - December 7th, 2004, 1:17 pm
    Sad news. The December 1st issue of the Evanston Round Table did not have a coupon for the Evanston Chicken Shack. I went thru the paper twice and didn't see it.

Speaking of fried chicken, Friday I had Prairie Joe's Country Fried Chicken. (It was a special and only is on the menu once in a while.) I've been thinking about fried chicken for some time thanks to this thread. This was the first time in about a decade I've had fried chicken, so I'm not the one to make comparison to other places.

The breading was of the thick crunchy type, and was very mild. It was a half chicken which was was nicely done, except the breast could have been more moist. For accompaniment I had mashed potatos and some mixed veggies. In all a decent meal though, based on comments here, probably not in the Hecky's / Chicken Shack league.

Prairie Joe's
    1921 Central St
    Evanston, IL 60201
    (847) 491-0391
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #18 - December 7th, 2004, 2:21 pm
    Post #18 - December 7th, 2004, 2:21 pm Post #18 - December 7th, 2004, 2:21 pm
    The issue I referred to was two weeks prior.They publish every two weeks.
  • Post #19 - December 7th, 2004, 2:28 pm
    Post #19 - December 7th, 2004, 2:28 pm Post #19 - December 7th, 2004, 2:28 pm
    The coupon with the ad was in at least the last two issues. They dropped it for the most recent issue.

I suppose it didn't bring in enough of a response :( -- or perhaps too much. :)
  • Post #20 - December 7th, 2004, 9:06 pm
    Post #20 - December 7th, 2004, 9:06 pm Post #20 - December 7th, 2004, 9:06 pm
    George R wrote:Sad news. The December 1st issue of the Evanston Round Table did not have a coupon for the Evanston Chicken Shack. I went thru the paper twice and didn't see it.

I am saddened. :cry: Really, I forget about the Chicken Shack for a while, and -- just like that -- no more coupon! Now I'll have to ask around to see if anyone has an extra to spare. The availability of coupons is subject to marketers and franchisees and all, but it's not easy depending on the monthly release of Popeyes and Burger King coupons. The Popeyes ones just haven't been good on the north side lately, and I don't see enough breakfast sandwich coupons from BK. I know, it's not as heart-crushing as the news from the Round Table, but still...
  • Post #21 - December 15th, 2004, 11:21 am
    Post #21 - December 15th, 2004, 11:21 am Post #21 - December 15th, 2004, 11:21 am
    The Evanston Chicken Shack coupon has returned! It 's on page 25 of the December 15th issue of the Evanston Round Table.

Slightly different than before. Instead of 2-for-1 on either 2-piece or 4-piece chicken dinners, the coupons are 2-for-1 on the 4-piece dinner or a free side of spaghetti with any dinner.
  • Post #22 - December 16th, 2004, 5:53 pm
    Post #22 - December 16th, 2004, 5:53 pm Post #22 - December 16th, 2004, 5:53 pm
    The Evanston Chicken Shack coupon has returned! It 's on page 25 of the December 15th issue of the Evanston Round Table.

Excellent news, thanks :-) Will make it a point to look for it (the Dominick's
    on Dempster/Dodge doesnt always carry the Round Table anymore,
    BTW, not sure why).

Slightly different than before. Instead of 2-for-1 on either 2-piece or 4-piece chicken dinners, the coupons are 2-for-1 on the 4-piece dinner or a free side of spaghetti with any dinner.

This is actually the same coupon that was around on November 15th (and
    expired on November 31st IIRC), ie the last RoundTable issue that
    actually had the ECS coupon. I used the first one, but not the
    second (though it might have been interesting to see what their
    spaghetti-with-meatballs looked like, maybe I'l try that one this
    time around :-)

(The former is a quite ridiculous deal, BTW - basically 8 pieces of chicken,
    2 sides, 2 slaws, for a grand total of 5 bucks!)

c8w
  • Post #23 - December 17th, 2004, 9:21 am
    Post #23 - December 17th, 2004, 9:21 am Post #23 - December 17th, 2004, 9:21 am
    yeah, they've been running the coupon for a while, apparently there's a new J&J they're worried about (not as good but cheaper)

fwiw, the borders across from the movie theater always has copies of the roundtable
  • Post #24 - December 17th, 2004, 10:43 am
    Post #24 - December 17th, 2004, 10:43 am Post #24 - December 17th, 2004, 10:43 am
    I did a back to back to back Hecky's/Evanston Chicken Shack comparison with m'th'su the other night. 1/2 mixed (leg, thigh, breast, wing) at both eaten there. On that particular night Hecky's had the edge, with ECS being slightly off due, IMHO, to sheer volume.

This is not to say ECS was not very (very) good, just that there was an ever so slight flour flavor and a wee bit of grease had settled into the crust. I'd guess they were rushing the oil a bit between batches, which were flying out the door.

Both are damn good fried chicken, both beat the wings off Hecky's of Chicago under spiced, slightly dry chicken I had the other day.

For those who may not know, there is a cozy room a just West of Hecky's (Evanston) where you can eat-in, just for the asking. Actually, I have to thank Steve Z for this info, it's much nicer than eating in the car.

Zim, I keep meaning to try your 'fling' with fries, talk about over the top. :)

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #25 - December 17th, 2004, 11:20 am
    Post #25 - December 17th, 2004, 11:20 am Post #25 - December 17th, 2004, 11:20 am
    You can always find the Roundtable at Evanston's City Hall, a bit north of the Chicken Shack on Ridge (between Noyes and Simpson). There's free parking in the back so you can run up the steps and grab one.
    ToniG
  • Post #26 - January 12th, 2005, 9:22 pm
    Post #26 - January 12th, 2005, 9:22 pm Post #26 - January 12th, 2005, 9:22 pm
    Hi,

We appreciate everyone's enthusiasm to save each other money while dining out. We have moved the most recent 'Coupon Alert' to a new thread on Useful Stuff.

So whenever you find some useful cost-saving coupon, then write your post on Useful Stuff on the "Coupons, Time-Limited Deals" thread.

Please note expired coupons will be deleted.

Thanks!
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #27 - July 6th, 2006, 1:39 pm
    Post #27 - July 6th, 2006, 1:39 pm Post #27 - July 6th, 2006, 1:39 pm
    HI,

Today I was at Evanston Chicken Shack for lunch. I ordered their daily special of two thighs, two legs, fries, bread and coleslaw for $5. with tax. They only begin cooking your food once your order has been placed, which allows you 15 minutes to study the room.

In several locations they had signs stating, 'Our rib tips are now hickory smoked.' I asked the server how were the rib tips prepared before, she replied indifferently, "Just like always."

Just alerting anyone who cares to give ECS's rib tips a try.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - July 6th, 2006, 6:33 pm
    Post #28 - July 6th, 2006, 6:33 pm Post #28 - July 6th, 2006, 6:33 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:In several locations they had signs stating, 'Our rib tips are now hickory smoked.' I asked the server how were the rib tips prepared before, she replied indifferently, "Just like always."

Just alerting anyone who cares to give ECS's rib tips a try.

After reading Cathy2's post, I did care to give ECS's rib tips a try, so I added a small order of tips (sauce on the side, 'natch) to my standard 8 piece mixed box of chicken.

While I didn't exactly take one for the team, these tips were not very good - really small, with various shades of brown coloring to the meat (none of the nice purples and pinks you get when tips are properly smoked). I did notice a faint smoky taste, but the consistency of the meat was kinda rubbery - perhaps it had been held & reheated, I dunno.

I had never tried ECS's tips before, so I have no basis on which to compare if their new "hickory smoking" method resulted in an improvement. If it did, it's not even close to enough improvement to get me to order them again.

The chicken, however, was fantastic, as per usual.
    I exist in Chicago, but I live in New Orleans.
  • Post #29 - February 24th, 2018, 6:20 pm
    Post #29 - February 24th, 2018, 6:20 pm Post #29 - February 24th, 2018, 6:20 pm
    Close as I could find to a dedicated Evanston Chicken Shack thread, a bit out of date, and I have not been to Usmania in ages, but and this is a big Butt, Evanston Chicken Shack is, was and remains Fantastic!

I've not been to Evanston Chicken Shack in a few years, even better than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty damn good. Hot, crispy, juicy, crunchy, well seasoned without being salty, even the fries were crisp and tasty.

Evanston Chicken Shack is a GNR, a gem, a deal and anyone with the slightest interest in delicious fried chicken should visit sooner rather than later.

EvanstonChickenShackLTH1.jpg Evanston Chicken Shack, Hot, crispy, juicy, crunchy!

Evanston Chicken Shack, Count me a Fan!

Evanston Chicken Shack
    1925 Ridge Ave
    Evanston, IL 60201
    847-328-9360
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #30 - November 9th, 2018, 10:25 am
    Post #30 - November 9th, 2018, 10:25 am Post #30 - November 9th, 2018, 10:25 am
    ECS2.jpg I'm a little teapot short and stout, Evanston Chicken Shack is what its all about!

Evanston Chicken Shack, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events