LTH Home

Introduce Yourself Neighbor!

Introduce Yourself Neighbor!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 6
  • Post #31 - September 7th, 2006, 5:58 pm
    Post #31 - September 7th, 2006, 5:58 pm Post #31 - September 7th, 2006, 5:58 pm
    Have you checked out any of Marta Sebestyen's solo work? If you like Muzsikas, you should definitely like her solo stuff. If you like Balkan Gypsy brass music, I'd suggest checking out the work of Boban Markovic, if you haven't already. Also, in his vain but a little more varied stylistically, is Goran Bregovic. The soundtracks to the movies "Underground" and "Black Cat White Cat" by Emir Kusturica (who also has his own Balkan band, No Smoking) would be good introductions to all of these groups.

Marta Sebestyen is wonderful, though not precisely to my taste. I know her work in general as well as that of Bregovic, though he's more "mainstream," for lack of a better word. Hard not to like his stuff. I checked out Besh O Drom and Makam; the former is pretty much exactly what I have in mind and I thank you for introducing me to them (though their name is familiar from somewhere). Makam seems a bit more crossover, almost new age-y in a way. It's too easy to like. (How's that?!)
    There's another group, Ando Drom, whose music I think is an even better illustration of my taste; this is a good example of their stuff. Based on the reaction of friends, I guess this kind of music is an acquired taste, but there's no doubt that I've acquired it.
    However, though I've tried and tried, I just can't enjoy or appreciate the brass bands. I've tried many, including some of the best, but it just doesn't work for me. Doesn't matter whether they're from Romania, the former Yugoslavia, or elsewhere, I can't listen. But with Bratsch, Loyko, soloists like Mitsou and Vera Bila, and others, especially Romanian and Hungarian, I've got plenty. Still, any new group is always welcome and I think Besh O Drom fits the bill quite well.
    Last edited by Gypsy Boy on February 4th, 2008, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #32 - September 7th, 2006, 8:36 pm
    Post #32 - September 7th, 2006, 8:36 pm Post #32 - September 7th, 2006, 8:36 pm
    Gypsy Boy wrote:
    Have you checked out any of Marta Sebestyen's solo work? If you like Muzsikas, you should definitely like her solo stuff. If you like Balkan Gypsy brass music, I'd suggest checking out the work of Boban Markovic, if you haven't already. Also, in his vain but a little more varied stylistically, is Goran Bregovic. The soundtracks to the movies "Underground" and "Black Cat White Cat" by Emir Kusturica (who also has his own Balkan band, No Smoking) would be good introductions to all of these groups.

Marta Sebestyen is wonderful, though not precisely to my taste. I know her work in general as well as that of Bregovic, though he's more "mainstream," for lack of a better word. Hard not to like his stuff. I checked out Besh O Drom Makam; the former is pretty much exactly what I have in mind and I thank you for introducing me to them (though their name is familiar from somewhere). Makam seems a bit more crossover, almost new age-y in a way. It's too easy to like. (How's that?!)
    There's another group, Ando Drom, whose music I think is an even better illustration of my taste; this is a good example of their stuff. Based on the reaction of friends, I guess this kind of music is an acquired taste, but there's no doubt that I've acquired it.
    However, though I've tried and tried, I just can't enjoy or appreciate the brass bands. I've tried many, including some of the best, but it just doesn't work for me. Doesn't matter whether they're from Romania, the former Yugoslavia, or elsewhere, I can't listen. But with Bratsch, Loyko, soloists like Mitsou and Vera Bila, and others, especially Romanian and Hungarian, I've got plenty. Still, any new group is always welcome and I think Besh O Drom fits the bill quite well.

Yes, Ando Drom is the other band I was trying to think of! They are a lot of fun live--I've seen them play a couple times in Budapest. Heck, all these bands are great live. See, I tend towards the crazy Serbian brass music for some reason, although I could understand not getting into it. The only other guy I would put forth is Lajko Felix (or Felix Lajko, in the English), who is a Hungarian violin player from Vojvodina who plays a rather unique amalgam of jazz, Hungarian, and Serbian music. The guy is absolutely nuts live--he's like watching a possessed mad man magician playing the violin. To tell you the truth, I can't exactly say I'm a huge fan of his, but he is pretty much regarded as a prodigy and genius in the area, so he's worth checking out if you haven't heard his work before. But I suspect you may have.
  • Post #33 - September 10th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    Post #33 - September 10th, 2006, 8:22 pm Post #33 - September 10th, 2006, 8:22 pm
    mrbarolo wrote:Julianna -

What theatre company?

Do I know you?

Currently, I work for Collaboraction, have also worked for Boxer Rebellion, Viaduct, and the Single File Festival in the past two-ish years.
    It is indeed possible we have met in the strange incestuous drunken Chicago theatre company world.
  • Post #34 - September 11th, 2006, 10:21 am
    Post #34 - September 11th, 2006, 10:21 am Post #34 - September 11th, 2006, 10:21 am
    I've been trying to cut back on the incest lately, but I'm drinking more to make up for it. So, it's certainly possible. Even more possible that we will in the future, i suppose.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #35 - September 12th, 2006, 8:36 am
    Post #35 - September 12th, 2006, 8:36 am Post #35 - September 12th, 2006, 8:36 am
    Hi everyone,

I'm therese...42...grew up in Detroit but currently live near the mighty Spacca Napoli (I can walk! weeeeeehoooooooooo)

My mother was raised on a ranch in Montana and I have very fond memories of the mammoth meals my grandmother served up for the hay crew every summer. My god could she cook! Every meal was a masterpiece for 12. I was her "assistant" and luckily picked up a few pointers...namely bread baking (my forte until I found I have salsa making skills thanks to Rick Bayless).

My dad's mother worked at the Rath packing plant in Waterloo, IA when my gramps died of a massive heart attack at the age of 42 (he worked for Borden's ice cream). I have fond memories of grilled brats slathered in kraut, bologna salad (yuck! but it was good at the time!) and all sorts of encased meats. I love a good dog to this day!

Nice to meet you all!
  • Post #36 - September 12th, 2006, 10:31 am
    Post #36 - September 12th, 2006, 10:31 am Post #36 - September 12th, 2006, 10:31 am
    Fun thread.

My name is Josh. I'm 27 and originally from New Jersey. After graduating from Washington University in St. Louis in 2001, I moved up here to take a job as an executive compensation consultant. I've lived mostly in Lakeview, but have recently purchased a condo in Lincoln Park.

Growing up, my family was always very focused on food. My mom is an outstanding home cook and we would usually go to high-end restaurants in NYC for special occasions. Family vacations were almost always built around where would be eating dinner on any given night.

My tastes definitely gravitate towards the high-end. I love a cheap taco as much as the next guy, but given the choice I would rather find myself somewhere like Alinea or Per Se. My other expensive habit is sushi. I can thank my parents for that one, having gotten me started on the stuff at about 5 years old.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #37 - September 14th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    Post #37 - September 14th, 2006, 5:31 pm Post #37 - September 14th, 2006, 5:31 pm
    What a great post this is!

Anyway, I'm Brad and I have lived in Lincoln Square for a little more than a year now, following stops in the DePaul area, Lincoln Park and most recently Lakeview. I was born in New Jersey, but moved with my family to Northbrook and grew up in Northbrook until attending college. Some of my favorite memories growing up out east are of the wonderful aromas that crept from the kitchen as my grandmothers and mom would cook matzah ball soup and bake challah for the Jewish holidays, although I think that it took me many years to appreciate just how great these moments were. But I'm sure that is where my love of food began.

I have been a litigation attorney for about 11 years and although I enjoy it quite a bit, I don't know that I would describe my job as my passion. I would much rather be paid to play sports, but oh well. I have often thought about opening a restaurant, but I tend to be somewhat risk averse. But I love to cook (mostly I love baking and making desserts) and I can be pretty ambitious -- I have catered a handful of parties for friends and family, including a couple of engagement parties, once for 100 people.

I also love to travel. The first thing I usually do after deciding where I will go is spend endless hours deciding where and what I want to eat. One of my favorite spots for travel is the Caribbean which allows me to forget all about work and get away from all the traffic and noise. I also love the cuisines of the Caribbean nations and I would say that many of my favorite meals are meals that I have had while vacationing in the Caribbean (particularly, St. Kitts).

I must also say how thankful I am for this site and for everyone who contributes to its success. I found it by accident one day while searching for info on Alinea. Since then, and thanks to all of you, I have greatly broadened my horizons with respect to many small, ethnic restaurants that I probably never would have discovered (Cafe Salamera is the one I miss the most). Perhaps my greatest pleasure has been discovering Erik M.'s translated Thai menus and recommendations -- I have always loved Thai food, but never as much as I do now. But most of all, I love that I have found a place where I can share my passion for food with others who are equally or more passionate. So thanks and hello,

Brad
  • Post #38 - September 20th, 2006, 12:49 am
    Post #38 - September 20th, 2006, 12:49 am Post #38 - September 20th, 2006, 12:49 am
    It's about The Love.

Standing on a chair next to the stove upstairs at my grandma's apartment in Humbolt Park while she browns some butter that I can soak up with a piece of bread. (how did she get those salty black gribblins in there?)

Waiting for hours (it seemed like hours) in one of the only Mexican restaurants on the northside in the 60's while they prepared fresh tortillas and food for the feast they were about to serve.

Waiting for the baked chicken at my parents catering place to get done cooking. Salt, Garlic and a sea of butter.

As a teen, eating nothing but wienerschnitzel for a week across Germany.

Breakfast at Brennen's. Lunch in the garden at that French place that used to be just north of the Water Tower. Dinner at Maxims.

Stopping at Spring Forest Deli for some Italian subs, Stewarts pop and some chips. Hiking with the kids along the I & M canal to the top of the gravel piles and having a picnic in the warm summer sun.

On our first anniversary, while staying at a B & B in Vermont, skipping across the border to Canada for a 7 course French meal, the finest meal I have ever eaten. ... and trying not to get arrested while coming back thru customs (good wine!).

In the wilderness, my friends around the campfire, a wonderful foil pack dinner, steak, mixed vegetables (asparagus, peapods, water chestnuts, french cut greenbeans). Then fresh pressed strong coffee with trail mix in the morning.

Breaded pork medallions with grilled onions in the gravy.

A Sunday family style dinner at Pioneer Cabin east of Carbondale. Asking the waitress what kind of pie knowing they have at least 50 on hand every day. :)

Life is good... :)
  • Post #39 - September 20th, 2006, 5:12 pm
    Post #39 - September 20th, 2006, 5:12 pm Post #39 - September 20th, 2006, 5:12 pm
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread! And it turns out a helluva lot of you are a (relative) stone's throw from me. Chicago starts shrinking a little bit after being here for a while! Oh yeah, my name is Jason. ;)

Anyway, I was born in Baton Rouge, LA, with vivid memories of visiting my Cajun (by way of Opelousas, LA) grandparents in New Orleans (just several houses down from the 17th Street Canal) almost every weekend. Upon entering, I was met with the awesome scent of frying shrimp, freshly trawled by my grandfather, and the butterflies-in-the-stomach inspiring sight of piles of floured softshell crabs--a bonus haul from the shrimp trawl bounty. And it wasn't only ample piles of seafood in Meme and Papa's house; there were also crazy offerings of seafood gumbo, etoufee, stuffed bell peppers/mirlitons, among other homespun delicacies.

When I was 15, my mother got a promotion, and we moved, very much to my adamant chagrin, to Indianapolis. My family tried to make the best of it for me, saying "at least you can go watch the race", but I'd invariably reply "it's too COOOOLD up there", "they ain't got no gumbo up there", or "where the hell am I gonna find a po-boy?" Admittedly, ages of 15-20 weren't banner years for my culinary discovery, so the apex of my recollections is the Ponderosa Steakouse....or maybe the advent of the 24 hour Taco Bell. :(

Having had enough, I scooted back down South, moved to New Orleans for 8 years, lived a lot, discovered a lot, the thought it best to try to make money instead of coasting by. I moved to Austin for 2 years, felt the wrath of the burst tech bubble, and moved back to New Orleans with my tail between my legs. I eventually got a job at a major website, and we ended up hosting Tom Fitzmorris' forum (not wholly unlike this one), and between reading its posts, meeting folks from the board, and dining with others, I gained such a love and appreciation of food that I never knew I could contain.

Now I've been in Chicago for about 16 months, living pretty much above Pizza mania on Ridge Ave, and am profoundly lucky to yet have had a bad meal in town.....thanks largely from reading this forum. Thanks y'all!!! Chicago was a place I'd always visit during my brief stint in Indianapolis, but I never thought I'd end up here. Strange how things work out, eh?

(Luckily Edgewater has a nice enclave of New Orleans expatriates that often fulfills my dirty desires for roast beef po-boys, jambalaya, and red beans and rice. In lieu of that, there very well could be another madman roaming the streets.... :twisted: )
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. --Mark Twain
  • Post #40 - September 21st, 2006, 9:03 am
    Post #40 - September 21st, 2006, 9:03 am Post #40 - September 21st, 2006, 9:03 am
    Sal,
    You might want to check out

http://www.lsuchicageaux.com/index.asp

Tons of your fellow Lousianians (spelling?) watch the LSU game every weekend at Gamekeepers. Also, they host a crawfish boil every spring (google Chicageaux) - it's a great time.
  • Post #41 - February 3rd, 2008, 9:17 pm
    Post #41 - February 3rd, 2008, 9:17 pm Post #41 - February 3rd, 2008, 9:17 pm
    I found this old thread through a link in an active one.

I'm Kim and I lurked here for about a year before posting. I found LTH by googling "Asiago reviews", which is a now defunct Italian place out in Schaumburg.

I grew up in Buffalo Grove in a mixed religion household (one parent is Jewish, the other Catholic). This lead to some interesting eating from an early age. I got my Great Grandmother's old world Jewish recipes served to me by one half, while the other half plied me with rabbit and dumplings from their Czech heritage.

I'm not sure when I became a foodie. My father and grandfather were big fans of the WTTW cooking shows, so that is my earliest memory of being educated on good eating. In college I started cooking along with the fledgling Food Network (back when it was under another name. It escapes me now)

My tastes do not run to the very high end or exotic, but I believe you should put your best and freshest ingredients into everything you make.

I work in the pharmaceutical benefits industry and reside at the edge of Cook County with my husband who grew up in West Rogers Park/West Ridge. My Brother in Law also posts here on occasion under the user name Scotty2Hotty.

Kim
  • Post #42 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:40 pm
    Post #42 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:40 pm Post #42 - February 3rd, 2008, 10:40 pm
    I recently found this list through a link in Metromix. I've been a Chicagoan for more than 30 years, and I have always found it to be a superb restaurant town. My friends began introducing me to local hangouts from day one, and my wife and I are always on the lookout for good cheap places.

My screen name is trpt2345 because I play the trumpet for a living, more or less, and I teach at a not-for-profit that gives free stuff to kids. I live in Edgewater and work in the West Loop which gives me access to a lot of great places. I am pleased to see that many of my faves (Lao Sze Schuan, Manny's , Sun Wah, Sol de Mexico) seem to be held in high esteem. I've already gotten great recommendations in the week I've been lurking and I look forward to more.

Michael McLaughlin (trpt2345)
    trpt2345
  • Post #43 - February 4th, 2008, 11:50 am
    Post #43 - February 4th, 2008, 11:50 am Post #43 - February 4th, 2008, 11:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

which I will be presenting again for Mensa in October.

Just curious, are you a member of Mensa? If so, do you find it a worthwhile club?

I'm just asking because I have been eligible for membership since I was 17, but I never joined. I'm just wondering if the dues you are asked to pay is worth it.

Thanks, and also, this is a very interesting thread!
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing!
  • Post #44 - February 4th, 2008, 11:52 am
    Post #44 - February 4th, 2008, 11:52 am Post #44 - February 4th, 2008, 11:52 am
    HI,

I don't belong to Mensa. I have two sisters who belong. There are at least two long time members who participate here. Cynthia is quite involved, so why not PM her with your query.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #45 - February 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm
    Post #45 - February 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm Post #45 - February 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm
    How lovely to read about all of you. My name is Christine Ewald. I come from a different world than most of you. I live about 65 miles west of Chicago, on a gravel road, with a pig farm as my nearest neighbor! My parents are both 100% German stock and from farming families. Lots of hard work ethic involved. I’m a Lutheran lifer, and everything they say about Lutheran potlucks is true! My mom loves to cook (and is good at it), but she does not share her kitchen. As I spent most of my life as a very heavy person, I didn’t have much of a good relationship with food anyway. In my 40’s I took an extreme measure, and had a Duodenal Switch, which is a form of weight loss surgery. It worked great, but the payback is that I can’t eat much all at once. I eat all the time, but not a lot. I am now 53, a widow, and have a 15 year old son (who is a very picky eater). Once I lost the weight, I fell in love with food. I am a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (more supervisory than anything these days), and I got hooked when I caught Alton Brown’s cooking show on Food Network. I loved the science of it. Since then, I’ve been spending abnormal amounts of cash on groceries for food that only I will eat! I keep hoping my son will evolve, or I can find a cheaper way of making great food. I live vicariously through those of you that can easily access the restaurants of Chicago. I love your easy banter, cultural backgrounds and opinions. I get to Chicago maybe once or twice a year, so I’m going to try to hook up with one of your group trips one of these days! I work for the State of Illinois, and woo hoo; I am going to retire in two years! To keep busy, I am in the process of setting up a U Pick Raspberry and Blueberry farm on the little five acre farmette that I live on. Someday I’ll host a raspberry “event” for LTH forum members…I promise. I’ll be ready to go in a couple more years. (Now you know why my member name is razbry). Thank you all for bringing light and joy into my life!
  • Post #46 - February 4th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Post #46 - February 4th, 2008, 1:19 pm Post #46 - February 4th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Thank you Kim for Bumping this thread!

I am irisarbor (aka Elaine)
    I am living in Deerfield having gone to college in southern Indiana (IU) and spent my childhood thru age 12 in NYC- Staten Island.

I am a scientist, working full-time with 3 kids, and my hubby is a video and film director and producer. He has also written a published and produced musical comedy called Lust N Rust-The trailer Park Musical, he's a very creative guy-(my creative talents lie in the kitchen.)

I grew up in a sort of-kosher home, but not too strict, but once outside the house all bets were off...
    We were exposed to all kinds of good food growing up in NY,
    and my folks would take us into the city to see Broadway shows and have meals at fun restaurants-(I remember eating at the Horn and Hardart automat once).

I have always been the most adventurous eater in the group-
    Whatever the weirdest thing was on the menu was the thing I wanted to try...
    Hey-I've never had wild boar-I wonder what it tastes like....

Even as a college student I loved to cook and amazed my roomates by being unafraid to plunge my hand inside a chicken to clean it properly.
    One Thanksgiving I boldly prepared a 24 lb turkey for a house full of students who weren't going home for the holidays, with the only real goof being the foil pan really should have been doubled or tripled....

The past few years I have gotten into doing outrageous gingerbread houses at the holidays- different ones every year-castles-Victorians, split levels, all with edible stained glass windows that are lit from within-kind of brings out my inner Martha. They are all completely edible, and our tradition is break them and eat them for dessert on NY Eve- my recipe is really yummy, and they are spiced so nicely they taste great even after a couple of weeks.

Love to cook, love to eat, Fortunately the hubs is a good sport when it comes to doing dishes...
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #47 - February 5th, 2008, 3:18 pm
    Post #47 - February 5th, 2008, 3:18 pm Post #47 - February 5th, 2008, 3:18 pm
    I am Capsu78, but the name my mother gave me is Dave. I grew up north of Philadelphia, moved to the Bay Area straight out of college and got relocated back to Chicago in 1990 as the "trailing spouse".
    I guess my cooking interests must have been influenced by my French grandfather who always cooked when we were at his house as well as my mother who was orphaned by age 6 and her polish sister who married at 16 so she could take in my mom and her younger brother. They lived above the bar she ran in coal mining country - Pittston PA- and was famous to locals for her pizza she served every Wed and Friday nights.

I am a picky eater, and not in a good way, and I was in my thirties before I realized I couldn't smell many things. Just like musical notes you cant hear, I could smell some things- both good and bad- and completely miss out others- both good and bad. I asked my mom if I was "still under warranty", and she said "No, but if it makes you feel any better I can't smell either"- (Thanks for sharing Mom!)

I was also a busboy at age 13, and to this day I am a softy when it comes to service. I also have no problem getting out of my seat to go get a fork or a napkin from the servers station, much to the horror of my children over the years. I also was a caterer in my fraternity in college, so I was always comfortable around the kitchen. I was single until 27 and I never really went hungry and often cooked home meals for my dates.

We now live in a neighborhood with a couple of neighbors who like to roll up their sleeves in the kitchen or grill as well, so we have cooked for outdoor parties in the 50-75 person range, to rave reviews, a couple of times each summer for the past 5 years. (We don't do pot lucks- not enough luck, too much pot)
    This past year we even hosted my daughters bridal shower and cooked a high end outdoor meal for 50 served in a rented tent, and then 2 days later, hosted a time compressed business event for 120 people that rolled up in buses all at once. (Note to self- hire professional staff next time)

While my kids and family members and guests have said many times I should open a restaurant, I know that I couldn't do what those folks do.
    My menu specialties all have one thing in common- they are all bad for you!
  • Post #48 - February 13th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    Post #48 - February 13th, 2008, 1:24 pm Post #48 - February 13th, 2008, 1:24 pm
    Kim3 wrote:I found this old thread through a link in an active one.

I work in the pharmaceutical benefits industry and reside at the edge of Cook County with my husband who grew up in West Rogers Park/West Ridge. My Brother in Law also posts here on occasion under the user name Scotty2Hotty.

Kim

Caremark employee by chance?
  • Post #49 - February 13th, 2008, 1:57 pm
    Post #49 - February 13th, 2008, 1:57 pm Post #49 - February 13th, 2008, 1:57 pm
    Hi Red Head's,

Yes, I am. :D

I've sent you a PM since this leaning towards more of a private conversation, which is discouraged on the main boards.

Kim
  • Post #50 - February 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Post #50 - February 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm Post #50 - February 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm
    Awwwwww

And Valentine's Day is tomorrow!

:D
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #51 - February 13th, 2008, 4:46 pm
    Post #51 - February 13th, 2008, 4:46 pm Post #51 - February 13th, 2008, 4:46 pm
    My name is Dave. Yes I do own a camaro. I grew up in the small town of Freeport Illinois, Irish father and a Dutch/German Mother. My cullinary adventures started at the age of 9 when I was dared to eat an escargo. I found out I liked it. So from there my tastes expanded. I went into the Air Force at 21 and was all over the world and tried food that Bourdain and Zimmern are just now putting on TV way before most people in the states had heard of it.
    I moved to Chicago after the Air Force about 12 years ago and immersed myself in the local cuisine. I would post reviews under my old yahoo ID(before yahoo erased my acct for slamming Paris Hilton). I started getting back into more adventerous eating from watching Andrew Zimmerns show. I started working for Jim Beam a year and half ago about 8 months after getting married. I have two kids.Just 4 months ago a friend here told me of this forum. I instantly became hooked. Finally, a forum where there are more than 5 active people. And they all seem intelligent to boot! What a gold mine. So I have been trying to post and get out to all these great places you all suggest. As well as attend the functions. Great to meet you all
    Bueno Provecho
    Last edited by davecamaro1994 on February 14th, 2008, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Dave

Bourbon, The United States of America's OFFICIAL Spirit.
  • Post #52 - February 14th, 2008, 8:38 am
    Post #52 - February 14th, 2008, 8:38 am Post #52 - February 14th, 2008, 8:38 am
    Hi Dave-
    even if bourbon's not my drink after too many college indiscretions-
    THAT's a great job!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #53 - February 14th, 2008, 10:39 am
    Post #53 - February 14th, 2008, 10:39 am Post #53 - February 14th, 2008, 10:39 am
    Kim3 wrote:Hi Red Head's,

Yes, I am. :D

I've sent you a PM since this leaning towards more of a private conversation, which is discouraged on the main boards.

Kim

no problem..i figure if people can ask about mensa, etc.. this wasnt out of line
  • Post #54 - February 14th, 2008, 12:30 pm
    Post #54 - February 14th, 2008, 12:30 pm Post #54 - February 14th, 2008, 12:30 pm
    Kim3 wrote:My Brother in Law also posts here on occasion under the user name Scotty2Hotty.
    Kim
    Word.
  • Post #55 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:30 am
    Post #55 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:30 am Post #55 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:30 am
    I keep starting a post here, and then deleting it. After all, I'm not exactly a stranger to many of you, both on and off the boards - even my family life is pretty well catalogued here. If you haven't come across me, I'm an active stay-at-home Mom, wife of a firefighter and mother to a relatively adventurous eater. I won't bore you with further details, except that I have a background in theater I haven't used in over a decade, and I've been interested in food since I was very young.

What I did want to say here, in a thread that I hope newbies or lurkers find early on, is that I didn't have any special credentials or experiences that led me to being such an active member of this board - I just jumped in and did it, and I encourage you to do the same. I've heard that some might feel a bit like we all know each other and know exactly what the heck we're talking about. While that's true in some cases, it decidedly wasn't for me - I came to this forum knowing absolutely no one. I'm a home cook with a very tight dining budget and an interest in good food writing, and those are my only credentials. I felt a bit like Charlie entering Wonka's factory when I first found LTH - all it took was a post or two and a couple events (which I invited myself to - yes, that's how it's done) and the rest is history.

If you are seriously interested in food and have something to say about it, this is the right place for you! You can participate as much or as little, as virtually or as bricks-and-mortar as you like. Welcome!
  • Post #56 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:45 am
    Post #56 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:45 am Post #56 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:45 am
    Mhays wrote:I felt a bit like Charlie entering Wonka's factory when I first found LTH - all it took was a post or two and a couple events (which I invited myself to - yes, that's how it's done) and the rest is history.

I don't think you invited yourself, you simply signed up to the open invitation on the board. :D

I believe your first event was an Evanston lunch at Deta's.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #57 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:49 am
    Post #57 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:49 am Post #57 - February 22nd, 2008, 11:49 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I believe your first event was an Evanston lunch at Deta's.

Which, of course, was where Cathy made her famous video of making burek.
  • Post #58 - February 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    Post #58 - February 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm Post #58 - February 22nd, 2008, 4:51 pm
    Believe me, I have never forgotten that day - we filled that tiny space with me, C2, nr706, George R and the Chapulins! My second event was the LTH picnic, at which I also had a fabulous time, though I only knew those who'd come to Deta's, and I've been a regular Evanston Lunch Group participant ever since.
  • Post #59 - February 25th, 2008, 8:23 pm
    Post #59 - February 25th, 2008, 8:23 pm Post #59 - February 25th, 2008, 8:23 pm
    I'm Richard. I'm 27. An attorney, but more interested in film and such.

I'm assuming I'm the newest registrant, so none of you know me yet. I moved from Ohio last May. I found the boards sometime over the Summer, but was content to lurk. Initially I focused on a lot of the Great Neighborhood threads, but more recently I've been trying to get a handle of the various regional restaurants around town.

I'm disturbed by the fact that I know more about Georgian film than Georgian food and culture. That example can apply to almost any nationality. At least it's something that I can remedy.

I live in Gold Coast, but am really looking to try cuisine that was never (or rarely available in Ohio). I've explored my fair share of the upscale spots (NoMi, Moto, Blackbird, Toppolobambo, Japonais, Custom House, etc.), but aside from budgetary constraints, I'd rather find places that I can really settle into. As fun as molecular gastronomy is, I'm even more excited about sampling my first tastes of regional Mexican food, various African and Eastern European. There are probably over 100 spots on my must try list, so although I'm a real novice when it comes to actually GOING to the restaurants, I'm reasonably familiar with names/locations/specialties.

Although I've lurked, I've never registered on other food related boards. Chowhound seems too difficult to search and navigate. eGullet, while helpful on vacations and special occasions doesn't seem focused on spots that I can make regular parts of my life. Your forum seems far more genuine. Plus the fact that it's Chicago focused means that I don't have to browse through pages of irrelevant material.

I'm anticipating that this'll be a year of major growth for my palette/horizons. Hopefully I can share some of those experiences here.
  • Post #60 - February 25th, 2008, 8:35 pm
    Post #60 - February 25th, 2008, 8:35 pm Post #60 - February 25th, 2008, 8:35 pm
    Welcome, Visconti! I have found this board to be invaluable in my dining adventures. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

-Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more