LTH Home

Old Toledo: Green Lantern, Red Wells, Coney Island, Packo's

Old Toledo: Green Lantern, Red Wells, Coney Island, Packo's
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Old Toledo: Green Lantern, Red Wells, Coney Island, Packo's

Post #1 - October 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm
    Post #1 - October 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm Post #1 - October 27th, 2007, 4:06 pm
    Toledo is surprisingly rich in old restaurants, and the other day I visited four, sampling sandwiches at each.

My first priority was a Double Goopie at the Green Lantern, a little west of downtown near the Amtrak station.

Green Lantern has been owned by the same family since 1927 and proudly claims to be Home of the Famous Goopie. It's an excellent example of an old-fashioned, griddle-cooked cheeseburger.

Other choices include the Handy Andy (Double Goopie dressed with lettuce, tomato and mayo) and Humpty Dumpty (substitute sausage in the Double Goopie). Green Lantern, though remodeled inside, has lots of character, with the owner and waitresses constantly trading jokes and insults with the regulars.

Next up was Red Wells, family owned since 1919, for their signature roast beef sandwich and mashed potatoes. Although the original location is no longer open, the current place feels much older than it is.

I doubt the menu—with stewed tomatoes, deviled eggs and tapioca pudding—has changed much since Red was slicing the beef in the 1920s.

With my beef and mashed I couldn't resist sides of macaroni and cheese (excellent) and deviled eggs (shockingly sweet).

Coney Island wasn't on the agenda but I happened to pass right by so had to stop. This place has been at the same location since 1919 and remarkably has had only two owners: the current one and his grandfather before him.

This is a classic Coney dog, albeit a little less seasoned than some others. They use Rudy's (skinless) hot dogs, cooked to crispness on the griddle. Rudy's, whose logo is a wiener wearing a crown, is an old name in Toledo sausage, in business since 1920. Reportedly the Rudy's Hot Dog stands are also worth a visit.

Tony Packo's, a relative newcomer at 75 years old, is probably Toledo's most famous restaurant. Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the original location across the Maumee River from downtown, so had to settle for the new location by Fifth Third Field, home of the Toledo Mud Hens.

At first I was put off by its commercial slickness but the people working there were genuinely friendly and the hot dog lived up to expectations.

Despite what the menu says it's really not a hot dog but a very spicy, natural casing Hungarian sausage covered with chopped onions, yellow mustard and spicy meat sauce. A few hot pickles and peppers come on the side (you can also get a side order of these pickles deep fried). There's nothing remotely subtle about a Packo dog but, man, is it tasty. Packo's menu includes a fair amount of Hungarian food that I've heard mixed reviews of. Next time in Toledo I hope to visit some of the other old Hungarian places.

Green Lantern
    509 Broadway St
    Toledo OH
    419-241-3752

Red Wells Roast Beef
    1740 W Sylvania Av
    Toledo OH
    419-474-4880

Coney Island Hot Dog
    430 N Superior St
    Toledo OH
    419-244-8050

Packo’s at the Park
    7 S Superior St
    Toledo OH
    419-246-1111
    Original location:
    Tony Packo's
    1902 Front St
    Toledo OH
    419-691-6054
  • Post #2 - October 27th, 2007, 4:46 pm
    Post #2 - October 27th, 2007, 4:46 pm Post #2 - October 27th, 2007, 4:46 pm
    I've got to assume, given the date of its founding, that the Green Lantern is not named after one of the few major DC heroes not to be featured (yet) in a major motion picture.

The Goopie burger looks pretty good (crispy and irregular), though I assume the cheese is standard issue plasticine fake fromage, right? Not that one should expect much different in most places...

I believe you capable of amazing things, but it's hard to imagine that you ate all this stuff in one day (not that you claimed to).

As always, breathtaking fieldwork.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #3 - October 27th, 2007, 9:58 pm
    Post #3 - October 27th, 2007, 9:58 pm Post #3 - October 27th, 2007, 9:58 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I believe you capable of amazing things, but it's hard to imagine that you ate all this stuff in one day (not that you claimed to).

He did write "the other day I visited four" :!:

So with this Humpty Dumpty, is that sausage like breakfast sausage patty? Or some kind of encased meat?
    Joe G.

"Whatever may be wrong with the world, at least it has some good things to eat." -- Cowboy Jack Clement
  • Post #4 - October 30th, 2007, 8:18 am
    Post #4 - October 30th, 2007, 8:18 am Post #4 - October 30th, 2007, 8:18 am
    David Hammond wrote:The Goopie burger looks pretty good (crispy and irregular), though I assume the cheese is standard issue plasticine fake fromage, right? Not that one should expect much different in most places...

Yeah, it was regular old process cheese. I don't know how much it added but overall the Double Goopie was a very enjoyable burger.

David Hammond wrote:I believe you capable of amazing things, but it's hard to imagine that you ate all this stuff in one day (not that you claimed to).

germuska wrote:He did write "the other day I visited four"

Yes, I caught the morning Megabus and returned in the evening. That left about five hours in Toledo, plenty of time to eat (though it did get a bit rushed at the end). I'm not sure that quickly downing a Packo dog and a couple pints of beer is the best way to prepare for a long bus ride. At least I resisted the temptation to order the deep-fried hot pickles and peppers.

germuska wrote:So with this Humpty Dumpty, is that sausage like breakfast sausage patty? Or some kind of encased meat?

When the Humpty Dumpty was explained to me I assumed they meant breakfast sausage patties but I'm not at all sure. I was so surprised to learn the Humpty Dumpty is eggless (though I was told many customers add an egg) I neglected to ask about the sausage. If I get back to Toledo you can expect a full report.
  • Post #5 - October 30th, 2007, 10:01 am
    Post #5 - October 30th, 2007, 10:01 am Post #5 - October 30th, 2007, 10:01 am
    Rene G wrote:I'm not sure that quickly downing a Packo dog and a couple pints of beer is the best way to prepare for a long bus ride.

Attention, MikeG: Time for a new banner quote.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #6 - January 6th, 2008, 9:42 am
    Post #6 - January 6th, 2008, 9:42 am Post #6 - January 6th, 2008, 9:42 am
    Hi,

Recently, Rene G and I were in a Meijer's store in NW Indiana. Rene G spotted they had Tony Packo's sweet-hot pickles. I bought a jar to find they are indeed sweet, then from behind comes the capsaicin kick. These pickles still retained a bit of crunch and were thick sliced as seen in Rene G's photo above.

While these are not my style of pickle, they may be yours. You now don't have to travel to Toledo to get your fix.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - January 6th, 2008, 2:06 pm
    Post #7 - January 6th, 2008, 2:06 pm Post #7 - January 6th, 2008, 2:06 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Recently, Rene G and I were in a Meijer's store in NW Indiana. Rene G spotted they had Tony Packo's sweet-hot pickles. I bought a jar to find they are indeed sweet, then from behind comes the capsaicin kick. These pickles still retained a bit of crunch and were thick sliced as seen in Rene G's photo above.

While these are not my style of pickle, they may be yours. You now don't have to travel to Toledo to get your fix.

Regards,

Nor, do you need to travel to NW Indiana. I picked up a jar at the South Loop Binny's about a month ago (I'm assuming there're still there).
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #8 - January 6th, 2008, 2:29 pm
    Post #8 - January 6th, 2008, 2:29 pm Post #8 - January 6th, 2008, 2:29 pm
    Vital Information wrote:

Regards,

Nor, do you need to travel to NW Indiana. I picked up a jar at the South Loop Binny's about a month ago (I'm assuming there're still there).

Paulina Market also carries them.

:twisted:
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #9 - February 26th, 2008, 11:05 pm
    Post #9 - February 26th, 2008, 11:05 pm Post #9 - February 26th, 2008, 11:05 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    germuska wrote:So with this Humpty Dumpty, is that sausage like breakfast sausage patty? Or some kind of encased meat?

When the Humpty Dumpty was explained to me I assumed they meant breakfast sausage patties but I'm not at all sure. I was so surprised to learn the Humpty Dumpty is eggless (though I was told many customers add an egg) I neglected to ask about the sausage. If I get back to Toledo you can expect a full report.

I received an email from a fellow Green Lantern fan who informed me that the Humpty Dumpty is indeed made with sausage patties, a spiced pork version of their regular burger. I passed through Toledo recently but Green Lantern was already closed for the day so I wasn't able to try one.

Here's a little Tony Packo's news. Vito's Pizza, with about ten locations around Toledo, now makes a Tony Packo pizza: tomato sauce is replaced by Packo's hot dog sauce and Hungarian sausage stands in for pepperoni. It's also topped with a cheddar-mozzarella mix and chopped onions then finished with squirts of mustard. Packo's pickles are served on the side. I haven't tried it.

That's Tony Packo's, at Front & Consaul, in the background.
  • Post #10 - June 12th, 2011, 12:12 pm
    Post #10 - June 12th, 2011, 12:12 pm Post #10 - June 12th, 2011, 12:12 pm
    [Tony Packo's]Hot dog joint made famous on M*A*S*H threatened by family feud
    The first signs of rancor came back in 2002, when Nancy Packo Horvath, the daughter of the founder, accused her brother, Tony Packo Jr., of trying to force her out. In the end, the siblings came to an agreement to reorganize the company's management structure.

But Packo Horvath died the following year, and her son Robin Horvath inherited her share of the business. Last year, he sued Tony Packo Jr. and his son, Tony Packo III, accusing them of preventing him from looking at the company's financial records after he raised questions about spending. Horvath charges that Tony Packo III improperly used company money for personal expenses such as golf equipment, and construction at his mother's home.

Tony Packo Jr. and his son have countered in legal filings that Horvath isn't involved with running the business on a day-to-day basis and has little knowledge of its operations.

Amid the sniping, a bank has foreclosed on almost $4 million in loans it made to the business, and has seized property owned by Horvath in an effort to claim its debt. And a judge has appointed a third party to run the business--but a lawyer for the bank has said that the restaurant could be forced to close its doors if that arrangement continues.

"Family business disputes can be complicated situations," a lawyer for the Packo's told the AP.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #11 - December 19th, 2011, 4:39 pm
    Post #11 - December 19th, 2011, 4:39 pm Post #11 - December 19th, 2011, 4:39 pm
    Ohio judge OKs sale of 'M-A-S-H' hot dog diner
    ... A hot dog eatery made famous on the TV series "M-A-S-H" is getting a new owner, but the role of its founding family is still unsettled.

A judge on Monday approved a $5.5 million deal transferring ownership of Tony Packo's Inc. to a private restaurant group. The move came just days after the founder's grandson was charged with stealing from the family business.
    Cathy2

• Post #12 - December 20th, 2011, 9:12 am
    Post #12 - December 20th, 2011, 9:12 am Post #12 - December 20th, 2011, 9:12 am
    I was born in Toledo but moved to Glendale Heights at five years of age. Still, there were regular visits to the homeland and we ate at all of the places talked about in this thread at one time or another.

There is one local joint that I can clearly remember that hasn't been mentioned as yet - The Holland House "Home of the Moron Burger." My uncles used to order this unapologetically non-PC burger (Four half-pound burgers in a circular arrangement on a huge bun with whatever trimmings you wanted on it) and eat the whole thing solo.

Nowadays, this would find a home on Man vs. Food or some such...back then it was just a place to go for a huge burger. I have no idea if it is still in business or not...

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #13 - January 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm
    Post #13 - January 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm Post #13 - January 12th, 2012, 1:26 pm
    We were very underwhelmed at Tony Packos.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #14 - January 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    Post #14 - January 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm Post #14 - January 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm
    Davooda wrote:There is one local joint that I can clearly remember that hasn't been mentioned as yet - The Holland House "Home of the Moron Burger." … I have no idea if it is still in business or not.

Sadly, it seems the "Home of the Moron Burger" may be no more.

Elfin wrote:We were very underwhelmed at Tony Packos.

What did you have?

In another visit (still several years ago) I tried their Hungarian vegetable soup, stuffed cabbage, dumplings with gravy, German potato salad and strudel. With the exception of the soup (decent) it was all pretty bad. But I've had a Packo dog three times now and will continue to defend it (up to a point).
  • Post #15 - January 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm
    Post #15 - January 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm Post #15 - January 12th, 2012, 3:42 pm
    I stopped at their store in The Andersons.

I thought the food was pretty good. I thought the chili was Cincinnati chili with more of a spicy paprika base. With a lottle practice, I could make it at home.

And of course, shopping at The Andersons is a blast with their great bakery and wide variety of goods.
  • Post #16 - January 13th, 2012, 12:15 pm
    Post #16 - January 13th, 2012, 12:15 pm Post #16 - January 13th, 2012, 12:15 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Davooda wrote:There is one local joint that I can clearly remember that hasn't been mentioned as yet - The Holland House "Home of the Moron Burger." … I have no idea if it is still in business or not.

Sadly, it seems the "Home of the Moron Burger" may be no more.

Elfin wrote:We were very underwhelmed at Tony Packos.

What did you have?

In another visit (still several years ago) I tried their Hungarian vegetable soup, stuffed cabbage, dumplings with gravy, German potato salad and strudel. With the exception of the soup (decent) it was all pretty bad. But I've had a Packo dog three times now and will continue to defend it (up to a point).

We had the chili, hot dogs, dumplings, stuffed cabbage, german potato salad and pickles.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #17 - June 16th, 2015, 3:03 pm
    Post #17 - June 16th, 2015, 3:03 pm Post #17 - June 16th, 2015, 3:03 pm
    Rolling thru Toledo on a Sunday the only sampling of the good old days comes from Tony Packo's as the rest of the spots are closed. Not necessarily a bad thing by any means.

The Original

According to the site, the famous "Hungarian Hot Dog" as they're called are a Tony Packo original recipe. There's no Hungarian Hot Dog Tour to embark on in this region. The inside of the original is part tavern and part sit-down. As you might imagine they're a popular place for the family on Sunday's.

a peek inside at the bar

This being my first visit I was required to try the signature Packo Dog and like Rene G I found it to be quite tasty. The spicy sliced sausage is stellar and so is the spicy meat sauce on top. The latter of which I thought was good enough to warrant buying a DIY jar of it to take home. When I opened it this past winter I followed the directions precisely and added two pounds of beef and some tomatoes and ended up with a huge bowl of sweet slop. So I never was able to recapture the tastes that make this place Toledo's pride and joy.

Hungarian Hot Dog at Packo's

The menu boasts other Hungarian favorites and I decided to take an order of the stuffed cabbage to go. Beef and pork combined with rice and seasonings, hand-rolled in cabbage, thats simmered in sour cream and tomato sauce. Served with their tender paprika dumplings and gravy it made for a pretty good meal spread out over two days. Not sure when I'll be back thru Toledo but I imagine a return to Packo's will happen when it does.

Stuffed Cabbage

Tony Packo's
    1902 Front St
    Toledo, OH 43605
    (419) 691-1953
  • Post #18 - August 23rd, 2015, 9:27 am
    Post #18 - August 23rd, 2015, 9:27 am Post #18 - August 23rd, 2015, 9:27 am
    I haven't been the original Tony Packo's location, but have been a number of times to the TP location a couple doors away from the Mud Hens field. In fact I'll be there this coming Saturday prior to the 7pm Mud Hens game. I usually get the hungarian dog from TPs.

Regards,

The local markets carry Tony Packo's pickles, the Mrs & I are fond of the hot & sweet variety. I used to stock up while in the Toledo area but seeing as Heinen's now carries them, I guess I don't have to stock up, plus I like to support markets locally that carry items I'm fond of.

There is the large annual German American Fest going on this coming weekend in Toledo, not sure if I'll have time to go. http://www.germanamericanfestival.net/

If anyone has a suggestion for a Toledo breakfast spot, please share.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #19 - August 23rd, 2015, 1:54 pm
    Post #19 - August 23rd, 2015, 1:54 pm Post #19 - August 23rd, 2015, 1:54 pm
    http://www.nicksfamilycafe.com/

Tried this back in Jan. on a trip to visit some friends. I can only speak on their breakfast options, which was quite tasty with pretty large ( I took home half my order of biscuits and gravy and 3/4 of my omelette home with me) portions.
  • Post #20 - August 31st, 2015, 2:17 pm
    Post #20 - August 31st, 2015, 2:17 pm Post #20 - August 31st, 2015, 2:17 pm
    Thanks for the breakfast spot moose734, I was cell battery deficient this entire weekend so did not check this thread in time to see your post.
    Sweet Willie wrote:The local markets carry Tony Packo's pickles, the Mrs & I are fond of the hot & sweet variety.
    Jars were on sale so I certainly purchased a number.
    Rene G wrote:Green Lantern has been owned by the same family since 1927 and proudly claims to be Home of the Famous Goopie. It's an excellent example of an old-fashioned, griddle-cooked cheeseburger.
    based on your photos, I stopped at the Green Lantern this past Saturday for lunch. A goupie was actually what they called a sausage burger, ground sausage cooked on the flat top just like their griddled burgers. I had both a goupie & a burger, really can't make up my mind which I liked best, plus at <$3 per sandwich there wasn't a need to, order both! This will for sure be a stop for me next time I'm in Toledo. Green Lantern is only open from 6AM-2PM, so plan accordingly. Menu: http://www.toledoblade.com/attachment/2 ... n-menu.pdf

Rene G wrote:Despite what the menu says it's really not a hot dog but a very spicy, natural casing Hungarian sausage covered with chopped onions, yellow mustard and spicy meat sauce. A few hot pickles and peppers come on the side (you can also get a side order of these pickles deep fried). There's nothing remotely subtle about a Packo dog but, man, is it tasty. Packo's menu includes a fair amount of Hungarian food that I've heard mixed reviews of. Next time in Toledo I hope to visit some of the other old Hungarian places.

Packo’s at the Park
    7 S Superior St
    Toledo OH
    419-246-1111
    Original location:
    Tony Packo's
    1902 Front St
    Toledo OH
    419-691-6054

We had a group of approx 14 this past Saturday evening, most everyone ordered the Packo dogs or Sausage. Buckets of Yuengling Beer went very well with the sandwiches.

Speaking of Hungarian, a gentleman in our group volunteers every year at the annual Birmingham Ethnic Festival (Hungarian) http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/0 ... roots.html

My nephew & I had breakfast near our hotel (Radison at the University), a place called Glendale Garden Cafe http://www.ggardencafe.com/ Good solid breakfast fare, I wouldn't go out of my way but if in the area.

-
  • Post #21 - September 18th, 2017, 6:46 am
    Post #21 - September 18th, 2017, 6:46 am Post #21 - September 18th, 2017, 6:46 am
    Toledo on Saturday night was a quick overnight stop on my road trip. Got in late and was hungry, through some searches on my mobile I couldn't recreate if I tried, Jamaican Spice popped up.

Tucked on the side of a corner gas station, I passed right by it a couple times.

I had oxtails, curried goat, rice n peas, stir fried cabbage.

It was about 9pm when I got my meal so I had an understanding that the meal I was going to partake of had been on the steam table for awhile.

The oxtails were ok, I can imagine if "fresher" they would have been good. The curried goat was terrific as were the rice n peas. I would have been very pleased with just the goat & rice n peas but the star of the meal was the stir fried cabbage, this held up really well, a nice hit of heat, decent crunch to chewy texture, some dark greens mixed in, and the nectar oh so good, I drank that juice from the container.

A couple of local rag articles:

http://toledocitypaper.com/food-drink/j ... s-cuisine/

http://www.toledoblade.com/Peach-Weeken ... oad-1.html

Jamaican Spice
    1223 N Byrne Rd
    Toledo, OH 43607
    (419) 724-2733
    www.jamaicanspicetoledo.com (my work's firewall wouldn't let me access this website, so I can't vouch if it works or not)
  • Post #22 - August 28th, 2018, 1:16 pm
    Post #22 - August 28th, 2018, 1:16 pm Post #22 - August 28th, 2018, 1:16 pm
    Some updates as I was in Toledo this past weekend.

Goopies for breakfast at the Green Lantern still delivered, delicious.

I'm skipping Packo's from now on, the sliced Hungarian sausage just isn't impressive anymore, if it was a whole sausage I'd still be on board. Others in our group were also disappointed with our Packo's visit this time. So onto a new dinner place next year's annual trip to see the Mudhens play.

Lunch as El Camino Real Sky.
    Restaurant is in an old church.
    Cheese enchiladas with shredded pork on top were delicious, the salsa served at table isn't noteworthy at all, however there is a salsa bar and the spicy salsa as well as the chipotle salsa were quite good.

El Camino Real Sky
    2072 Woodville Rd
    Oregon, Ohio 43616
    (419) 693-6695
    http://www.elcaminorealtoledo.com/elcaminosky.html

There is a new open air rooftop bar/restaurant at top of Renaissance Hotel (444 N Summit St, Toledo). Beautiful views of the Maumee River, good cocktails

Side attraction note if in Toledo: really good museum to tour, the National Museum of the Great Lakes http://www.inlandseas.org/museum/
    -
  • Post #23 - September 2nd, 2018, 12:02 am
    Post #23 - September 2nd, 2018, 12:02 am Post #23 - September 2nd, 2018, 12:02 am
    When I used to motor from Chicago to Cleveland (for indoor soccer, the indoor soccer booster convention, an American Homebrewers' Assoc.'s National Homebrew Convention, or Cinema Wasteland); first of all, I never drove the Turnpike. Ohio highway patrol racks up out-of-state motorists for speeding violations. So, I would motor US 20 into Toledo. I would have a lunch break at Maumee Bay Brwg. Co. It appears you cannot do that anymore {does not open until 3:00 pm}. Given that it has been years since I have had any of its beers, I cannot recommend any of them. But I can recommend you stop there if you're motoring this route.
    Because the way you should reach Cleveland is Ohio Route 2. It's a free route. It will get you to Cleveland's west suburbs, at which point the turnpike diverts traffic to Erie, PA. and Buffalo, NY. onto it (but it remains free). Ohio Route 2 is a great scenic route - and consider this originates from somebody who prefers to avoid driving. :wink:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more