LTH Home

Food Holidays Needed!

Food Holidays Needed!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Food Holidays Needed!

Post #1 - November 19th, 2004, 2:15 pm
    Post #1 - November 19th, 2004, 2:15 pm Post #1 - November 19th, 2004, 2:15 pm
    I need a list of all holidays with a major food or ethnic culture component. For instance, Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year, the Day of the Dead, Ramadan (since it makes it harder to get a good meal in certain restaurants), etc.

Thanks in advance, the reason for this will be forthcoming...
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #2 - November 19th, 2004, 2:21 pm
    Post #2 - November 19th, 2004, 2:21 pm Post #2 - November 19th, 2004, 2:21 pm
    MikeG,

First one that comes to mind is St. Joseph's Day and the St. Joseph's Table: http://www.initaly.com/regions/sicily/joetabl.htm

Don't forget Halloween.

I'll post more as they occur to me.

Hammond
  • Post #3 - November 19th, 2004, 2:23 pm
    Post #3 - November 19th, 2004, 2:23 pm Post #3 - November 19th, 2004, 2:23 pm
    June is national soulfood month.

C2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 2:27 pm
    Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 2:27 pm Post #4 - November 19th, 2004, 2:27 pm
    From a Catholic/Christian perspective, here are some:

- Saint Nicholas Day (Low Countries and Germany)
    - Christmas Eve, Christmas and Easter (of course, lots of specific ethnic and even regional food traditions)
    - New Year's Eve, New Year's Day
    - Epiphany
    - Feast of Saint Joseph
    - Good Friday and Holy Saturday
    - Feast of San Gennaro (Naples)

A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:41 pm
    Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:41 pm Post #5 - November 19th, 2004, 2:41 pm
    In Scotland, January 25, Robbie Burns Day.

4th of July/Memorial Day/Labor Day barbecues.
    MAG
    www.monogrammeevents.com

"I've never met a pork product I didn't like."
  • Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:46 pm
    Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:46 pm Post #6 - November 19th, 2004, 2:46 pm
    Maybe it would be easier to list holidays that don't involve food. Veterans' Day? Flag Day?
  • Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm
    Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm Post #7 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm
    Pretty much every Jewish holiday that I can think of has a major food component. Here's a smattering:

Rosh Hashanah: Apples & honey (& holiday dinner of brisket, tzimmes, potatoes, gefilte fish, etc.)

Channukah: Potato latkes, sour cream, applesauce

Passover: matzoh, matzoh ball soup, seder plate (horseradish, charoseth, etc.)

Yom Kippur: Even though we fast, sundown on yom kippur is traditionally welcomed by a cold dinner (lox & bagels, fruit salads, deli tray).

Purim: Hamentashen

Sukkot: Dining in the sukkah.

This really drives home the old joke about the one description that can be used for every Jewish holiday: "They tried to kill us, they didn't. So, let's eat!"

Best,
    EC
  • Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm
    Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm Post #8 - November 19th, 2004, 2:48 pm
    From the Jewish point of view, many holidays have traditional foods. As seen below, the general theme of Jewish holidays might appear to be, "We made it through a whole lot of messhugoss, let's eat."

1) Hanukkah (celebrating the survival of the Roman attack on the Jerusalem temple): The miracle of the lamp oil being sufficient for 8 days is echoed through the abundant use of oil in frying, either potato pancakes (Ashkenaz/northern European) or small jam-filled doughnuts (Sephardic/mediterranean).

2) Purim (celebrating escape from exile in Babylon): The Hamentashen is a cookie like a large, dry kolachki (sp?), traditionally filled with a poppy-seed jam called munn.

3) Passover (celebrating escape from bondage in Egypt): Leavened bread is forbidden, leading to all kinds of interesting dishes, most notably matzoh ball soup, the "Hillel Sandwich" (matzoh, haroset (chopped apples, sugar, nuts and wine), and horseradish -- highly symbolic of the bitter times in egypt), spongecakes raised with only eggs and made with matzoh meal, hard-boiled eggs, lamb shanks, matzoh kugel (pudding), and much more

4) Yom Kippur (day of atonement): Since you were fasting from sundown to sundown, no cooking should be done, so it should be all pre-prepared foods. For northern europeans, this has traditionally meant starting the meal with something sweet (such as mandel bread, or jewish biscotti), and having a meatless meal such as smoked fish (not meat, according to the Bible), lox, bagels, cream cheese, etc.
  • Post #9 - November 19th, 2004, 2:52 pm
    Post #9 - November 19th, 2004, 2:52 pm Post #9 - November 19th, 2004, 2:52 pm
    Amata wrote:Maybe it would be easier to list holidays that don't involve food. Veterans' Day? Flag Day?

I try to enjoy the traditional body-warmed MRE on Veteran's Day. I guess you can make any holiday food-oriented.

Hammond
  • Post #10 - November 19th, 2004, 8:12 pm
    Post #10 - November 19th, 2004, 8:12 pm Post #10 - November 19th, 2004, 8:12 pm
    JoelF wrote:2) Purim (celebrating escape from exile in Babylon): The Hamentashen is a cookie like a large, dry kolachki (sp?), traditionally filled with a poppy-seed jam called munn.

Pretty good outline there, but isn't Purim derived from the events outlined in the book of Esther? Dictionary.com gives this definition (from the American Heritage Dictionary): "The 14th of Adar, observed in celebration of the deliverance of the Jews from massacre by Haman." Just making sure. I believe the Jews escaped from a massacre while in exile, though they remained in the country for some time after.
  • Post #11 - November 19th, 2004, 11:17 pm
    Post #11 - November 19th, 2004, 11:17 pm Post #11 - November 19th, 2004, 11:17 pm
    Mike G wrote:I need a list of all holidays with a major food or ethnic culture component. For instance, Mardi Gras, Chinese New Year, the Day of the Dead, Ramadan (since it makes it harder to get a good meal in certain restaurants), etc.

Thanks in advance, the reason for this will be forthcoming...

My employer counts my birthday as a holiday and I get the day off. I generally feast and graze that day in celebration. :D

My in-laws celebrate birthdays as holidays and the birthday person gets their choice of what to have. I started participating when I married into the family. The only adjustment is I have to cook my own food which they don't. My wife doesn't cook and I get to season things up a little.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #12 - November 19th, 2004, 11:28 pm
    Post #12 - November 19th, 2004, 11:28 pm Post #12 - November 19th, 2004, 11:28 pm
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    JoelF wrote:2) Purim (celebrating escape from exile in Babylon): The Hamentashen is a cookie like a large, dry kolachki (sp?), traditionally filled with a poppy-seed jam called munn.

Pretty good outline there, but isn't Purim derived from the events outlined in the book of Esther? Dictionary.com gives this definition (from the American Heritage Dictionary): "The 14th of Adar, observed in celebration of the deliverance of the Jews from massacre by Haman." Just making sure. I believe the Jews escaped from a massacre while in exile, though they remained in the country for some time after.

Uhh.. you're right, I spaced on my history (I've never been religious), and got the massacre and the exile and all that jumbled up.

Serious details at http://www.everythingjewish.com/Purim/Purim_origins.htm

The book of Esther is also called the megillah... origin of the phrase "the whole megillah" meaning an absurdly long story, and the origin of Magilla Gorilla's name.
  • Post #13 - November 21st, 2004, 12:41 am
    Post #13 - November 21st, 2004, 12:41 am Post #13 - November 21st, 2004, 12:41 am
    Hi,

Juneteenth, the 19th of June is celebrated by blacks with picnics. According to the official Juneteenth website:

WHAT IS JUNETEENTH?
    "Juneteenth" or "19th of June", is considered the date when slavery ended in America. Although rumors of freedom were widespread prior to this, the announcement of emancipation did not come until Union General Gordon Granger arrived in Galveston, Texas to read General Order No. 3, on the "19th of June", 1865. This was more than two and a half years after President Abraham Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday or in the UK: Pancake Day. Ash Wednesday is a no-meat day of observation for Catholics as well as Holy Thursday and Good Friday. When you don't eat meat, and granted it is not exactly celebratory occasions, there are always ways people commemorate by eating special foods. Or at least foods they don't usually consider, ie pepper and egg sandwiches. Or hot cross buns on Easter Sunday, which is definitely celebratory.

For the Orthodox Church, Christmas and Easter are on different days because of the different calendars used.

The day after Christmas is Boxing Day, as well as St. Stephen's Day, celebrated in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and England. I know in Australia and New Zealand it is summer, so this is an occasion to BBQ. In England, where my link's point of view is offered, they offer their food angle:

Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day is the Christmas season for us here in England.

I have had so many emails asking me what we eat on this special day, we always have the left over turkey from the day before, but we always prepare fresh vegetables and roast potatoes and all the trimmings.

I know you are all going to ask me what are 'trimmings' :-) well they are things like tiny sausages rolled up in bacon strips, chestnut stuffing for example, also cranberry sauce and bread sauce...a few little extras on the plate to make the dinner special.

It is traditional to have ham, but I do not like ham (my husband does, but he is more than happy to eat another 'Christmas dinner' :-))

Some people have turkey and cranberry sandwiches, we usually have this, but usually on Christmas day in the eveing, if we are still hungry.

It is a good day, to change the pace, have a more relaxing day, especially for the "cooks" in the family. Also a day to have something different to eat, some people have cold ham as the main dish to a cold buffet type meal. This way, putting together a buffet of cold foods, everyone can just help themselves to what they want, and how much they want. Mainly it is a day we try not to cook, as the day before is always very busy in the kitchen, and it is nice not to expect the lady of the house to be in the kitchen on this second day of Christmas, and to spend more time with family and friends.

The postman and dustbin men/refuse men, get their boxing day money on their last delivery day before Christmas starts, not everyone gives them money, some give mincepies, and some people do not give anything, as it is a very old tradition. I have in the past given mince pies... homemade of course :-)

December 13th is Santa Lucia, which has the custom of a young girl dressed in white with candles on her head serving coffee and sweet rolls. More information at http://www.umkc.edu/imc/stlucia.htm

December 6th is St. Nicholas Day celebrated in many countries in a variety of ways. In Holland, the children will put their shoe out. IN the morning, there are sweets and money inside. By contrast, in Bulgaria a meal featuring carp is part of the celebratory feast.

Valentine's day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, St. Patrick's

Diwali - Festival of Lights from India.

Hannukah - latkes.

Washington's Birthday on February 22nd when I was a kid, before it was blended into President's day, was always cherry pie.

Just because people will celebrate just about anything, I found this link to food celebratory overkill.

Superbowl Sunday

Cinco de Mayo:

Over the years Cinco de Mayo has become very commercialized and many people see this holiday as a time for fun and dance. Oddly enough, Cinco de Mayo has become more of Chicano holiday than a Mexican one. Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the United States are often larger and more elaborate than commemorations of the day in Mexico. The holiday is a celebration of Mexican culture, including food, music, beverages and customs unique to Mexico. People of Mexican heritage in the United States celebrate this significant day by having parades, mariachi music, dancing and other types of festive activities.

April Fool's Day - not exactly a food day, but you could make a Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie and fool just about everyone. :lol:

If I think of any more, I will advise.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #14 - November 21st, 2004, 6:40 pm
    Post #14 - November 21st, 2004, 6:40 pm Post #14 - November 21st, 2004, 6:40 pm
    Hi,

Another food holiday, of sorts, I simply remembered once seeing a picture of the Queen of England with a leek attached to her coat. The rest is google at it's best!

St. David is the patron saint of Wales. He was a monk who lived on bread, water, herbs and leeks and died on March 1, 589 A. D.

The leek had been recognised as the emblem of Wales since the middle of the 16th century. Its association with Wales can in fact be traced back to the battle of Heathfield in 633 AD, when St. David persuaded his countrymen to distinguish themselves from their Saxon foes by wearing a leek in their caps.

It was decided that from 1984, British (pound)1 coins would feature different reverse designs for each of the four parts of the United Kingdom. All (pound)1 coins dated 1985 feature on the reverse the Welsh Leek.

Nowadays, the leek is worn on March 1 (St. David's Day:the Welsh national holiday) and at international rugby matches. The daffodil is also a Welsh national emblem because its Welsh name is translated as a type of leek.
    Cathy2

• Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 9:52 am
    Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 9:52 am Post #15 - November 22nd, 2004, 9:52 am
    I've found a wide range of dates for San Gennaro in different cities. Anyone know when, if at all, it's celebrated in Chicago?

By the way, our weird German Mennonite Good Friday food that my mom would inflict on us when a PB&J sandwich would have done the job fine was stewed noodles and prunes. Yick!
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:36 am
    Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:36 am Post #16 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:36 am
    Mike G wrote:I've found a wide range of dates for San Gennaro in different cities. Anyone know when, if at all, it's celebrated in Chicago?

I don't know of a celebration nowadays, though I know there used to be a major neighbourhood festa down here in the old Little Italy north of Taylor.

The actual Saint's day is September 19th but in Naples and, traditionally, wherever Napolitani gather in numbers, the "solemnity" beings on the 16th.

By the way, our weird German Mennonite Good Friday food that my mom would inflict on us when a PB&J sandwich would have done the job fine was stewed noodles and prunes. Yick!

Hmmm... I could imagine that combination working but don't feel tremendously compelled to try and make it.

Antonius
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    ________
  • Post #17 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:41 am
    Post #17 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:41 am Post #17 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:41 am
    MikeG:

By the way, with all the Calabrians around in Chicagoland, there are still celebrations of the festa di San Rocco, which falls on August 16th but, when it's celebrated by a parish, as with San Gennaro, the festivities start a few days before.

A
    ________
  • Post #18 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:47 am
    Post #18 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:47 am Post #18 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:47 am
    Bastille Day on July 14th!
    Cathy2

• Post #19 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:55 am
    Post #19 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:55 am Post #19 - November 22nd, 2004, 10:55 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Bastille Day on July 14th!

I know of no specific food tradition connected with Bastille Day (aside from the rules for contributing to the late, great Jim McCawley's Bastille Day potluck party).

Are there any?

Antonius
    ________
  • Post #20 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 am
    Post #20 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 am Post #20 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 am
    Mike G wrote:By the way, our weird German Mennonite Good Friday food that my mom would inflict on us when a PB&J sandwich would have done the job fine was stewed noodles and prunes. Yick!

Stewed noodles and prunes. You have to wonder who thought that would be a good combination. It sounds...squishy.

Hammond
  • Post #21 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:34 am
    Post #21 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:34 am Post #21 - November 22nd, 2004, 11:34 am
    Antonius wrote:...(aside from the rules for contributing to the late, great Jim McCawley's Bastille Day potluck party).

See here for the rules. :wink:
  • Post #22 - November 22nd, 2004, 12:48 pm
    Post #22 - November 22nd, 2004, 12:48 pm Post #22 - November 22nd, 2004, 12:48 pm
    In Sweden, Santa Lucia Day (December 13)

From http://www.umkc.edu/imc/stlucia.htm --

At dawn on December 13th, the eldest daughter in each family dresses in a white dress with a red sash, and wears a wreath of lingonberry branches with 4 lighted candles on her head (the same number as an Advent wreath). She carries coffee and a breakfast of sun-colored saffron buns (called lussekatt) and gingerbread cookies to her parents in their her room. Her sisters and brothers follow, dressed in white. The girls carry lit candles and the boys ("star boys") wear tall, pointed caps. A traditional song is sung:

Santa Lucia, thy light is glowing
    Through darkest winter night, comfort bestowing.
    Dreams float on dreams tonight,
    Comes then the morning light,
    Santa Lucia, Santa Lucia.

St. Lucia bread rolls may be shaped in many traditional ways, including a crown, a cross, simple "S" figures, an "X" shape, or a wreath. The lighted crown and saffron-colored dough is also said to symbolize that the sun will soon return.

Amata (an eldest Swedish daughter who says "Candles on my head?? Are you kidding?!?")
  • Post #23 - November 22nd, 2004, 2:15 pm
    Post #23 - November 22nd, 2004, 2:15 pm Post #23 - November 22nd, 2004, 2:15 pm
    HI,

I don't know, I get so many invitations to Bastille Day festivities from Francophiles and a few pedigreed French people, I don't think I am far off the mark. It is summer, it is warm, it is an opportunity to socialize in grand style or a humble picnic.

However, since proof is needed, then I found a website which referred to "traditional picnic fare for Bastille day is "merguez et frites", merguez is a spicy North African sausage served along with fries."

According to another website, we have an interesting unintended consequence from the French Revolution celebrated on Bastille Day:

When a person thinks of Bastille Day, generally, I would assume, that food does not come to mind. Unless, that is, you are a chef and culinary historian. It is because of this infamous day that public restaurants came into existence when they did; the French Revolution was not only a political upheaval, it was a culinary one as well. ...

I'm sure that restaurants would have evolved into what they are today, but it was Bastille day that prompted chefs to open full service restaurants. Prior to the French Revolution most notable chefs worked for royalty, in their mansions, and cooked elaborate buffets for their families and royal functions. The Revolution occurred in 1789 and with it came social changes and the fall of the aristocrat. The royalty which once supported a large personal staff -- including chefs -- could no longer do so. Suddenly, all across France, chefs found themselves out of work. These chefs, forced to make a living in some other manner, opened the first "fine dining" restaurants.

In doing research for my pie history talk, another unintended consequence of the French Revolution was all those Master Chef's immigrating to the America's. The introduction of butter in pie crust is but one legacy from this migration. (Don't even get me started on the Civil War!)

By the way, I used google to answer your question, which is available to the masses. A revolutionary research tool at my fingers!

Vive l'internet!
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:08 pm
    Post #24 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:08 pm Post #24 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:08 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:By the way, I used google to answer your question, which is available to the masses. A revolutionary research tool at my fingers!

Thank you. I was vaguely aware of its existence but prefer to use its more aristocratic analogue, the name of which I cannot share at this time.
    :wink:

I don't know, I get so many invitations to Bastille Day festivities from Francophiles and a few pedigreed French people, I don't think I am far off the mark. It is summer, it is warm, it is an opportunity to socialize in grand style or a humble picnic.

Of course it is a holiday and people celebrate it. They get hungry, they eat.

Insofar as it's summertime and there are outdoor dances and fireworks, merguez and frites are obvious options, among the most common street foods, which, I'm quite willing to believe, are now thought of by some as an integral part of the holiday. The impression given on this site (see third paragraph) is just that: merguez, frites, but why not chips and hot dogs too?... street-fare for a summer holiday.

But DeGaulle must be rolling over in his grave... frites from Belgium, merguez from North Africa... Revenge for their neighbours for all the nasty jokes? Or just further examples of the Gallic genius at work?

A
    ________
  • Post #25 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:22 pm
    Post #25 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:22 pm Post #25 - November 22nd, 2004, 4:22 pm
    But DeGaulle must be rolling over in his grave... frites from Belgium,

Imitation is the finest form of flattery...

merguez from North Africa... Revenge for their neighbours for all the nasty jokes? Or just further examples of the Gallic genius at work?

Or the benefits of Colonialism?
    Cathy2

• Post #26 - November 22nd, 2004, 7:51 pm
    Post #26 - November 22nd, 2004, 7:51 pm Post #26 - November 22nd, 2004, 7:51 pm
    Hi,

Since it is 'our' calendar, then we should definitely memorialize the founding of LTHforum.com sometime in May or perhaps June 12th when the flood gates opened. Or is it the day Shannon Clark read the Leah Zeldes article, then inquired on the CH board? Or was it the day Asena set up and Gary thought it was amusing to check out back in January and February, when it was never dreamed of going into full operation? You may have a date in mind, I know I am not quite sure without researching my e-mail archive.

It's like a couple who secretly elope, keep the marriage quiet, then have a full blown formal ceremony to please the rest of the world. Or the couple who marry, divorce and remarry. What date do you celebrate? I have heard of couples where the divorce and remarriage was seperated by decades. They celebrated multiple anniversaries!
    Cathy2

• Post #27 - November 23rd, 2004, 1:48 pm
    Post #27 - November 23rd, 2004, 1:48 pm Post #27 - November 23rd, 2004, 1:48 pm

Chinese New Year Feb. 9, 2005 (Year 4703) Year of the Rooster
    Good Friday, March 25
    Easter, March 27
    Orthodox Easter, May 1
    Ash Wednesday, February 9
    Passover April 24, 2005
    Canada Day, July 1
    Jewish New Year, October 1
    Yom Kippur, October 13
    Thanksgiving Day in Canada, October 10
    Hannukah, Dec. 26 - Jan. 2
    Cathy2

• Post #28 - November 23rd, 2004, 4:43 pm
    Post #28 - November 23rd, 2004, 4:43 pm Post #28 - November 23rd, 2004, 4:43 pm
    November 5th is Guy Fawkes or Bonfire Night where traditionally they serve food cooked in the embers. I've read where they also roast chestnuts, cook sausages on sticks and cauldrons of soup. I contacted a friend who grew up in London who advised:

November 5th is Guy Fawkes Day or Bonfire night. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the houses of parliament in 1605 he was caught in the cellars with 30 odd barrels of dynamite. Every year bonfires are lit and fireworks are set off on November 5th. Now no one is sure if the celebration is because Guy Fawks failed or because he tried.

Traditionally some kind of Dummy of Guy Fawkes is thrown on the bonfire. Kids used to make a "Guy" put it in or on something with wheels and stop people by asking for a "penny for the Guy". The $$$ would be used for fireworks. Some villages or communities or streets, will have a big bonfire though frequently it will just be family and friends. 95% of people with Children will either go to a fireworks display or have their own in the back yard. The traditional thing is to wrap potatoes in foil and throw them on the bonfire to cook pulling them out as the fire dies down. They frequently come out burnt on one side and raw on the other but taste great because of all the smoke that has been ingested. Traditionally the potatoes are washed down with cider. Another traditional faire to be served is Parkin Cake

She also noted on Leek Day on March 5th, you will find more people wearing Daffodils instead of leeks due to odor considerations. Welsh Cakes are served on this day, which is some type of griddle bread.

&&&

A friend who grew up in Phillipines was queried on food related holidays. She said they followed holidays of the Catholic calendar. Though she remembers one holiday where people spontaneously throw water on each other. You could get soaking wet just walking through town. Amusing, though not food related.

She did indicate each village would have a festival to commemorate itself. They would have whole pig roasts and family would stream in from around the country for this celebration.
    Cathy2

• Post #29 - November 26th, 2004, 1:02 am
    Post #29 - November 26th, 2004, 1:02 am Post #29 - November 26th, 2004, 1:02 am
    New Year's Day is an important holiday in Japanese households. On New Year's Day, certain dishes prepared and eaten that day are suppose to bring you luck. One dish is made with gobo and another is made with lotus root and other vegetables. On the anniversary of the great earthquake, Mom said her mother would recreate the simple meal they had that day, I guess, as remembrance and gratitude for their survival.
  • Post #30 - November 27th, 2004, 11:06 am
    Post #30 - November 27th, 2004, 11:06 am Post #30 - November 27th, 2004, 11:06 am
    Hi Apple,

That's an interesting detail of your Grandmother making a meal to commemorate a day of great tragedy.

I've been asking quite a few people about food related holidays. I don't get too many answers but the conversation keeps stimulating the dust bunnies in my mind, so here we are for another round:

Battle of Marengo (June 14, 1800): to celebrate the occasion Napoleon asked his personal Chef to prepare a dinner. The line of provisions had not yet caught up, so the Chef made a dinner named "Chicken Marengo," which used any and all available provisions. (Ok, maybe it is a stretch, but is a date which is food related)

Chinese Mid-Autumn Festival/Moon Festival (September 18, 2005)

During the Yuan dynasty (A.D.1280-1368) China was ruled by the Mongolian people. Leaders from the preceding Sung dynasty (A.D.960-1280) were unhappy to live under foreign rule. They decided to coordinate a rebellion without it being discovered. The leaders of the rebellion, knowing that the Moon Festival was drawing near, ordered the making of special cakes. Inside each moon cake was a message with the outline of the attack. Because it's a Han (the main clan before the Mongolian took over) cake, the Mongolian people are not interested. On the night of the Moon Festival, the rebels successfully attacked and overthrew the government. What followed was the establishment of the Ming dynasty (A.D. 1368-1644). Today, moon cakes are eaten to commemorate this legend.

Ching Ming Festival & Cold Food Day April 5, 2005:

On Ching Ming, the whole family will visit their ancestors or relatives' graves. ... Food like roasted suckling pig, steamed chicken, fruit and wine are offered during the ceremony. Then we will eat it up after the worshipping.

Cold Food Day is celebrated 105 days after the winter solstice of previous year. ... When Cold Food Day starts, no one is allowed to start the fire. People eat cold congee and steamed date cakes baked a day before the Cold Food Day.

Cheung Chau Bun Festival (Taoist celebration) and coincidentally Buddah's Birthday - May 15, 2005 - slide show of bun festival:

The Bun Festival is local to Cheung Chau island only. Pak Tai, the Taoist God of the Sea is worshipped and evil spirits are scare away by loud gongs and drums during the procession.

The celebration includes Taoist praying, opera performances and ends with processions performed by children dressed in colorful costumes.

Bun towers are built with bamboo structures 60 foot high, piled with sweet buns, outside the Pak Tai temple. Since these buns are blessed, in the old days, people climbed up the bun towers and compete for buns at midnight on the first day of the festival. It was supposed to appease the spirits of the people who died in a 19th century plague on the island.

The whole island will go vegetarian three days before the procession. You won't find any meat and eggs in restaurants (not even MacDonald! In fact the Vegen-burger is not bad, they should considered including this in their regular menu.) Butchers simply have a few days' rest. Most restaurants sell vegetarian dishes and some simply close. Non-believers have to buy meat from Hong Kong island on those few days! However, when the procession is finished, everything goes back to normal. In fact, believers will rush to roasted meat shops and buy roasted pigs or meat alike to worship their gods right after the procession.

Dragon Boat Festival/Tuen Ng June 11:

There are different findings about the origin of Tuen Ng. The mostly widely accepted one is about the patriotic scholar-statesman Chu Yuan who drowned himself to protest against the emperor. Chu Yuan worked very hard to offer good counsel to the emperor but the emperor won't listen.

People respect Chu Yuan. When they heard that he was drowned, they jumped on boats to search for him. This is a part of what the Dragon Boat Festival commemorates every year. Failing to find Chu Yuan, people hit drums and making loud noised hoping to scare the fish and won't touch Chu Yuan's body. People lived along the river also put cooked rice in the river as a sacrifice. But then they found that the fish got the rice so people wrapped the cooked rice in bamboo leaves. This evolves to present day's rice dumplings.

Rice dumpling - rice dumplings are around for a long time. It was popular during summer in Eastern Han dynasty. During West Tsin dynasty, people started to have rice dumplings on Dragon Boat Festival. There are basically savory or sweet rice dumplings. Each family made lots of dumplings so that there are plenty for themselves, for relatives, friends and teachers. The savory ones are made of glutinous rice, fresh meat, salted meat or ham. Sweet ones are made of glutinous rice, bean paste, dates' paste and honey. he modern version you found in Hong Kong is slight different now. The savory ones may have peanuts or green bean or meet and ham and they all have a salty egg yolk in it. The sweet ones have red bean paste or lotus seed paste inside

Chinese Ghost Festival August 19, 2005

For one long lunar month during the Hungry Ghost Festival, ghosts are said to roam the earth. The gate of Hell is said to be opened during this month so even now that I have grown up, I still feel uncomfortable to go out at night around the Ghost Festival days!

In Chinese YUE LAAN (HUNGRY GHOST) FESTIVAL

In the more rural areas like the outlying islands and the new territories you will see people lighting small fires by the road to burn offerings like paper money to make the ghosts more comfortable. Proper offerings also include food items like steamed chicken or roasted pork, though the family will eat the meat after the offerings. Other food items like rice, orange or apple will be left on the street as offerings.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more