LTH Home

Green City Market in Lion House [Now Nature Museum]

Green City Market in Lion House [Now Nature Museum]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Green City Market in Lion House [Now Nature Museum]

Post #1 - November 20th, 2005, 6:55 am
    Post #1 - November 20th, 2005, 6:55 am Post #1 - November 20th, 2005, 6:55 am
    LTH,

Picked up my John Caveny Bourbon Red turkeys at Green City Market yesterday and it struck me, I had not been to an indoor Green City Market. If you haven't been go soon, it's held in the Lincoln Park Zoo Lion House, and the Lions are about 6-feet away from the vendors. Very Cool !

Green City Market in the Lion House

The market itself was, as always, excellent, I bought apples, Beeline Honey's new Fall Honey, beets and a couple of cheeses from Capriole Farms. One of the items I bought from Capriole was a Bourbon Chocolate torta with French chocolate, bourbon-soaked raisins rolled in toasted pecans. I really like the chocolate torta, though my wife thinks it a bit strong as the bourbon is very much in evidence.

Green City Market

Every once in a while the Lions let out a roar, and I don't mean a demure, polite squeak, but a conversation stopping Rrrrrooooar.

One mean looking cat.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Last edited by G Wiv on November 22nd, 2005, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - November 20th, 2005, 8:07 am
    Post #2 - November 20th, 2005, 8:07 am Post #2 - November 20th, 2005, 8:07 am
    Yes, we were standing listening to the dulcimer player and the banjo picker-- who happens to be the kids' pediatrician on other days, no joke-- and all of a sudden one of the lions starts singing along. Hammer dulcimer, banjo and RRRRRROWWWWWWRRRRRRR. Pretty cool.

Frankly, if I were the Heartland meats guy I'd be a little nervous setting up in there; I suppose lions are less attracted by heirloom tomatoes, squash, or even Red Hen sourdough.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #3 - November 20th, 2005, 8:44 am
    Post #3 - November 20th, 2005, 8:44 am Post #3 - November 20th, 2005, 8:44 am
    Mike G wrote:Yes, we were standing listening to the dulcimer player and the banjo picker-- who happens to be the kids' pediatrician on other days, no joke-- and all of a sudden one of the lions starts singing along. Hammer dulcimer, banjo and RRRRRROWWWWWWRRRRRRR. Pretty cool.

Frankly, if I were the Heartland meats guy I'd be a little nervous setting up in there; I suppose lions are less attracted by heirloom tomatoes, squash, or even Red Hen sourdough.

Perhaps he was a good dulcimer play, but god I hate that thing :evil:
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #4 - November 20th, 2005, 8:50 am
    Post #4 - November 20th, 2005, 8:50 am Post #4 - November 20th, 2005, 8:50 am
    This was, indeed, a Farmer's Market experience like no other. To be picking through the rutabagas with big cats wandering around behind the vendors was quite a sensation.

Maybe it's been a while since I've been to the zoo, but I was surprised that the air inside was not at all...smelly with the funk of jungle felines.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #5 - November 25th, 2005, 9:07 pm
    Post #5 - November 25th, 2005, 9:07 pm Post #5 - November 25th, 2005, 9:07 pm
    David Hammond wrote:This was, indeed, a Farmer's Market experience like no other. To be picking through the rutabagas with big cats wandering around behind the vendors was quite a sensation.

Maybe it's been a while since I've been to the zoo, but I was surprised that the air inside was not at all...smelly with the funk of jungle felines.

Hammond

Those are wonderful photos of Adelor and, I believe, Myra (or his other mate, Helene).

I would think, David, you would be more concerned about your hands and not your nose! :shock:

BTW, the Lion House was built in 1912 and won an architectural award. The architect was Dwight Perkins. You can read more about him at http://www.prairiestyles.com/perkins.htm
  • Post #6 - November 27th, 2005, 1:56 pm
    Post #6 - November 27th, 2005, 1:56 pm Post #6 - November 27th, 2005, 1:56 pm
    and the banjo picker-- who happens to be the kids' pediatrician on other days, no joke

If this is the same ped/picker I know of, she's also a mean clogger!
  • Post #7 - December 5th, 2005, 4:06 pm
    Post #7 - December 5th, 2005, 4:06 pm Post #7 - December 5th, 2005, 4:06 pm
    my husband and our son went to the market a few weeks' back and they got some heirloom tomatoes. I asked my husband if they'd seen the westside honey lady with the really nice packaging and my husband said, nope all we saw was the tomatoes because right as I handed the woman my money, the lion let out a huge roar and Sam (our 3 year-old) completely bolted for the door and could not be persuaded to re-enter.

Does anyone know how far into the season they'll be having markets in there?

bjt
    "eating is an agricultural act" wendell berry
  • Post #8 - December 5th, 2005, 4:28 pm
    Post #8 - December 5th, 2005, 4:28 pm Post #8 - December 5th, 2005, 4:28 pm
    http://chicagogreencitymarket.org/event ... a=r&id=262
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #9 - December 5th, 2005, 8:18 pm
    Post #9 - December 5th, 2005, 8:18 pm Post #9 - December 5th, 2005, 8:18 pm
    I'm going to piggyback your post, Christopher, and add Lincoln Park Zoo's link to their events page: http://www.lpzoo.org/events/index.html
  • Post #10 - November 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm
    Post #10 - November 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm Post #10 - November 20th, 2006, 2:34 pm
    Last year it was pretty cool that the smaller version of the Green City Market was in the zoo. This year, it's been moved to the Notebaeert Nature Museum, and it is a zoo, at least the week before T-day. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a large room suitable for the market in the museum, and so it was scattered down the hill leading to the museum, and inside two small entry areas separated by narrow doorways which were congested nearly the entire time we were there. If you ever doubted we need a public market building designed for such a purpose, this arrangement will convince you.

Nevertheless, I picked up a number of good things, although no photos under the circumstances. I got my turkey from T.J.'s; on the recommendation of my neighbor Dave I got some lamb bratwurst from another of the meat providers; I bought some beautiful carrots, radiantly, translucently orange in the morning light; I got another jar of Tomato Mountain Strawberry-Raspberry preserves, which has been our jam du jour for the last month, nice and tart; I got my trendy Honey Crisp apples, and for the kids I got a cup of hot apple cider from Seedlings which is only about 10 times better than any apple cider you ever had.

Good stuff, I may go back Wednesday morning... and hope that it will be less crowded in its uncomfortable new quarters.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #11 - November 20th, 2006, 5:47 pm
    Post #11 - November 20th, 2006, 5:47 pm Post #11 - November 20th, 2006, 5:47 pm
    moderators, it would be a good idea to retitle this thread, so people arent sent to the lion house in 2006, but rather to the notebaart nature museum.
  • Post #12 - November 21st, 2006, 11:55 am
    Post #12 - November 21st, 2006, 11:55 am Post #12 - November 21st, 2006, 11:55 am
    wow, it has been a holiday tradition to head over to lincoln park zoo & attend the market in the lion house for a few years now -- while the new location seems to be a better option in terms of more days available, i'm saddened to hear it doesn't hold up to years past.....

thanks,
    miss ellen

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more