LTH Home

I Want to Eat an Asian Carp!

I Want to Eat an Asian Carp!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - June 15th, 2010, 8:37 pm
    Post #91 - June 15th, 2010, 8:37 pm Post #91 - June 15th, 2010, 8:37 pm
    Fox River is great for fishing carp we caught one killed it and threw it back in for the fish to enjoy.
  • Post #92 - June 18th, 2010, 8:52 am
    Post #92 - June 18th, 2010, 8:52 am Post #92 - June 18th, 2010, 8:52 am
    Looks like Discovery Channels "Dirty Jobs" is trying to get in on the Asian Carp fun. Filming tentatively planned for later this month

http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/d ... ?id=406788
  • Post #93 - June 19th, 2010, 8:15 am
    Post #93 - June 19th, 2010, 8:15 am Post #93 - June 19th, 2010, 8:15 am
    nice maybe we will go out there and see did you know if there is a preserve or anything there?
  • Post #94 - June 19th, 2010, 8:17 am
    Post #94 - June 19th, 2010, 8:17 am Post #94 - June 19th, 2010, 8:17 am
    Silvert121 wrote:nice maybe we will go out there and see did you know if there is a preserve or anything there?

Starved Rock, one of the biggest state parks in Illinois.
  • Post #95 - June 19th, 2010, 8:36 am
    Post #95 - June 19th, 2010, 8:36 am Post #95 - June 19th, 2010, 8:36 am
    thank you thank you
  • Post #96 - June 26th, 2010, 8:57 am
    Post #96 - June 26th, 2010, 8:57 am Post #96 - June 26th, 2010, 8:57 am
    Durbin asks Obama to appoint carp czar

"We need to have one person who coordinates the efforts of the federal, state and local agencies that are doing everything they can to keep the Asian carp out of Lake Michigan," Durbin said during a news conference at the Shedd Aquarium. "We believe it's absolutely essential."

Durbin said scientists will try to determine where the carp came from, whether it was likely dumped there or whether it reached the lake by swimming up the Chicago water system. That's a critical question as biologists try to figure out how many Asian carp may be lurking below the water's surface.

Durbin said he plans to introduce a bill next week that will ask the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to look at "hydrologic separation" between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River, a potentially massive engineering feat that would require severing the 100-year-old, man-made shipping corridors that now link the two waterways. Durbin expects the Army Corps to deliver its report within 18 months.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #97 - June 28th, 2010, 9:23 am
    Post #97 - June 28th, 2010, 9:23 am Post #97 - June 28th, 2010, 9:23 am
    jimswside wrote:Looks like Discovery Channels "Dirty Jobs" is trying to get in on the Asian Carp fun. Filming tentatively planned for later this month

http://mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/d ... ?id=406788

looks like the filming for this has been postponed due to the river water level being high. Too bad it would have been interesting to see.

http://www.mywebtimes.com/archives/otta ... ?id=407405
  • Post #98 - July 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm
    Post #98 - July 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm Post #98 - July 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm
    Chef Foss' idea is catching on in China.

Ross Harano, director of international sales for Big River wrote:"Just like people pay a premium for Angus beef, we believe people will pay a premium for this," Harano said. "We're marketing it as 'Wild Mississippi River Fish.' It's all in how you market it over there."
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #99 - August 3rd, 2010, 7:50 am
    Post #99 - August 3rd, 2010, 7:50 am Post #99 - August 3rd, 2010, 7:50 am
    an interesting(to me) article about carp efforts on the Illinois River.

http://www.mywebtimes.com/archives/otta ... ?id=410108
  • Post #100 - January 19th, 2011, 11:10 am
    Post #100 - January 19th, 2011, 11:10 am Post #100 - January 19th, 2011, 11:10 am
    It's now a movement: be an Invasivore!
    Articles:
    Re-Nest: "Sustainable Diets: Invasivores take the stage"
    New York Times: "A Diet for an Invaded Planet: Invasive Species" [i]In that article, some folks are calling Asian Carp "Kentucky Tuna" -- I say we need to counter with "Calumet Monkfish"
    Mother Nature Network: "10 Invasive Species You Can Eat"
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #101 - January 19th, 2011, 11:26 am
    Post #101 - January 19th, 2011, 11:26 am Post #101 - January 19th, 2011, 11:26 am
    These guys do a lot of shoots in the area and I'm sure they will give up part of their catch to anyone who wants to try it.

http://www.illinoisbowfishing.net/
  • Post #102 - January 26th, 2011, 10:47 am
    Post #102 - January 26th, 2011, 10:47 am Post #102 - January 26th, 2011, 10:47 am
    From today's Minneapolis Star Tribune:
    ""Have the waiter tell them they are popular in Europe and Asia and were called the fish of kings," said Russo. You could also use guilt-- save our rivers, eat carp."

Looks like Western WI may have what you're looking for...

http://www.startribune.com/local/114616009.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyUs
    "It's not that I'm on commission, it's just I've sifted through a lot of stuff and it's not worth filling up on the bland when the extraordinary is within equidistant tasting distance." - David Lebovitz
  • Post #103 - May 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm
    Post #103 - May 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm Post #103 - May 4th, 2011, 12:11 pm
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #104 - August 27th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    Post #104 - August 27th, 2011, 12:43 pm Post #104 - August 27th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    Video of Bowfishing for Asian Carp

What is surprising is the frequency these Asian Carps are flying out of the water. I am guessing this may be the Illinois River.

Listening a little more, they advised they were in Henry, Illinois. That pretty much confirms they are on the Illinois River.

Next video is eating Asian Carp.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #105 - August 28th, 2011, 11:02 am
    Post #105 - August 28th, 2011, 11:02 am Post #105 - August 28th, 2011, 11:02 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Video of Bowfishing for Asian Carp

What is surprising is the frequency these Asian Carps are flying out of the water. I am guessing this may be the Illinois River.
    Surprising, indeed. The fish are a bona fide hazard. One of the boats has fish netting up to keep the occupants safe.
    This looks like the outfit that runs that tour:
    http://www.ibowfish.com/KBF/kamikazeindex.htm
    It mentions that they typically begin at Starved Rock State park.
  • Post #106 - September 13th, 2011, 2:54 pm
    Post #106 - September 13th, 2011, 2:54 pm Post #106 - September 13th, 2011, 2:54 pm
    Asian carp promoted in anti-hunger campaign - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... wrap-91311
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #107 - September 23rd, 2011, 4:04 pm
    Post #107 - September 23rd, 2011, 4:04 pm Post #107 - September 23rd, 2011, 4:04 pm
    Illinois launches campaign to improve Asian carp's image (for eating) - http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 0212.story
  • Post #108 - November 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm
    Post #108 - November 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm Post #108 - November 12th, 2011, 6:23 pm
    So other than Lockwood, has any local restaurant been serving Asian Carp? I'd think atleast one chinese restaurant would have it, if it's a delicacy in China.
  • Post #109 - October 17th, 2020, 7:01 am
    Post #109 - October 17th, 2020, 7:01 am Post #109 - October 17th, 2020, 7:01 am
    This weekend and next, Chicago restaurants will serve Asian carp burgers, tacos and more in hopes of educating people on just how tasty conservation can be. And the best part? They’re giving the food away for free.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html
  • Post #110 - October 17th, 2020, 10:23 pm
    Post #110 - October 17th, 2020, 10:23 pm Post #110 - October 17th, 2020, 10:23 pm
    Given that the low-end consumer is used to consuming fish sticks that consist of minced fish, I cannot believe that there hasn't been more of an effort to produce fish sticks made of Asian carp. That would help to bring it under control.
  • Post #111 - October 18th, 2020, 9:11 am
    Post #111 - October 18th, 2020, 9:11 am Post #111 - October 18th, 2020, 9:11 am
    jlawrence01 wrote:Given that the low-end consumer is used to consuming fish sticks that consist of minced fish, I cannot believe that there hasn't been more of an effort to produce fish sticks made of Asian carp. That would help to bring it under control.

It's a bony fish, I don't know if industrial processes to harvest meat from carp would be possible. It sounds like Dirk's methods are a little heavy on manual labor. If nothing else, it needs a better branding than Asian Carp.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #112 - October 18th, 2020, 10:30 am
    Post #112 - October 18th, 2020, 10:30 am Post #112 - October 18th, 2020, 10:30 am
    JoelF wrote:
    jlawrence01 wrote:Given that the low-end consumer is used to consuming fish sticks that consist of minced fish, I cannot believe that there hasn't been more of an effort to produce fish sticks made of Asian carp. That would help to bring it under control.

It's a bony fish, I don't know if industrial processes to harvest meat from carp would be possible. It sounds like Dirk's methods are a little heavy on manual labor. If nothing else, it needs a better branding than Asian Carp.

Was going to say about the same thing . . . if there were a way for it to be profitable on a scaled-up basis, someone would be doing it already.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #113 - October 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm
    Post #113 - October 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm Post #113 - October 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    This weekend and next, Chicago restaurants will serve Asian carp burgers, tacos and more in hopes of educating people on just how tasty conservation can be. And the best part? They’re giving the food away for free.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/c ... story.html

I needed to be in Logan Square on Saturday anyway, so hearing about the carp taco giveaway in the neighborhood only made the trip more appealing. On the way to Logan Square we decided to go past Dirk's to see how crazy the lines were for the Asian Carp Challenge. Apparently there's not a lot of interest in carpburgers, even when free (to be fair, the line was considerably longer by the time we left).

This was an exceedingly generous serving and pretty tasty too. I tried the teriyaki version and appreciated the careful cooking – the sauce was well caramelized but not burned – and assembly. The grilled bun and toppings were especially nice. If you like salmon burgers (I'm not the biggest fan, but don't hate them) you'd probably like the cyprinid version too. I didn't realize Dirk has been selling carpburgers for more than ten years. Good for him!

The carp taco truck was parked only a few blocks from our Logan Square destination so we decided to check that out too. Judging from the line, tacos seem somewhat more popular than burgers, but fewer than twenty people were queuing for carp.

Another generous portion – two well-stuffed tacos with some seriously peppy pico de gallo. And again, more than decent but not overly exciting. Still, I'd eat both free treats again without carping.

Next weekend presents another opportunity for the Asian Carp Challenge (I'm unable to create a usable link so I copied the information below). Note that the carpburger location – the Black Fire Brigade – is only about a block south of D&D's Place, where you can find the city's best apple fritters (Donut Fest 2018-2020 winner: Crowd Favorite, Judge's Choice, Best Classic).

Burgers - Ashburn
    10/24/2020
    12 noon - 2 pm

Black Fire Brigade
    8404 S Kedzie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60652

Join MWRD Commissioner Josina Morita for an event in partnership with Ald. Derrick Curtis and the Black Fire Brigade. Asian Carp burgers will be prepared by the Black Fire Brigade.

Tacos - Uptown
    10/24/2020 & 10/25/2020
    11 am - 4 pm

Fiesta Mexicana Restaurant
    4806 N Broadway
    Chicago, IL 60640

Join MWRD Commissioner Josina Morita for a two-day event in partnership with Committeeman Sean Tenner. Asian Carp tacos will be served until close by Fiesta Mexicana Restaurant on both days.
  • Post #114 - October 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm
    Post #114 - October 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm Post #114 - October 22nd, 2020, 12:28 pm
    Hi,

Dirk's teriyaki fishburger did not taste fishy. They also had plain and pumpkin fishburgers, which others in line seemed to like. Dirk was also offering samples of his wife's fish meatloaf, which would be welcome at my table anytime.

The fish tacos did have a fishy taste not present with Dirk's offerings. It could be their recipe or perhaps Dirk's understands how to work with Asian carp better.

In both situations, they offered very generous samples. No sliders or mini-tacos offered by either, which made for a filling lunch.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #115 - November 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm
    Post #115 - November 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm Post #115 - November 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm
    HI,

We went to the Black Fire Brigade for their Asian Carp burger the following week. We arrived on time, though they needed more time to set up.

Black Fire Brigade
    8404 S Kedzie Ave
    Chicago, IL 60652

When we returned, there was a woman working the crowds. She particularly enjoyed filming people biting into an Asian Carp burger for the very first time. We learned she was Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) Commissioner Josina Morita. There was quite an animated conversation about Asian carp issues. If Asian Carp could gain acceptance, Morita advised they could harvest one-million pounds a month from the Illinois River. The dream is to eat it out of existence.

Due to our intense interest, she gifted us with a five-pound pail of deboned Asian carp. This was divided into a single one-pound package and a number of half-pound packages.

From the get-go, I decided to use this fish in traditional dishes from various cultures. My first effort is a half recipe of Asian fish balls.

My initial reaction to this recipe, it sure uses a lot of devices and dishes. Puree the fish with Shaoxing wine and ice water in a food processor. Transfer to a stand mixer for the addition of salt, sugar, egg whites and water, then beaten for 15 minutes. I had the advantage of a machine to do this work, can you imagine doing this by hand? I then added tapioca powder and some water. At this point, you test a small nugget of fish paste to see if it floats. Exactly the same method for making tamale batter.

When it came time to shaping, I abandoned making balls and used this as an opportunity to shape the fish paste into cannels. Once made, they need an hour in the refrigerator to chill and firm up. I used a large mixing bowl, then had to use a smaller mixing bowl to keep these balls. Next time, I will use a wide mouth salad bowl for this step. The dishwasher is filling with dishes devoted to this recipe and we have not yet cooked them!

The preferred temperature range for poaching these fish balls was 176 to 194 degrees. While it was suggested these would take three minutes to cook. At three minutes, I flipped to let them finish cooking another three minutes. Since we were shortly having these for lunch, I put the fish balls into water to wait.

I dumped the cooking water from the fish balls, because it smelled fishy. Sometimes I cheat, yes cheat, I made a broth from pho and shrimp bouillon cubes. I also had some baby bok choy that I nipped at the bottom to separate all the leaves and slivered green onions. These were placed in a bowl with the fish balls with the broth ladled over.

Not completely confident my family would like the fish balls, I put small plates out with dabs of tamarind based Thai sweet and sour sauce made by Pantai. It was suggested as a dipping sauce for the balls.

My family was delighted with the fish balls. My Dad liked it best with the sweet and sour sauce. My Mom liked it with the soup, though she did add some tortilla chips. I liked it enough to consider sometime making more fish balls, but this time seasoned more strongly then will be deep fried like a street snack.

Asian Carp experiment number one has concluded.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #116 - November 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm
    Post #116 - November 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm Post #116 - November 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm
    That's fascinating, Cathy!
    -Mary
  • Post #117 - November 19th, 2020, 3:17 pm
    Post #117 - November 19th, 2020, 3:17 pm Post #117 - November 19th, 2020, 3:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:We learned she was MWRD Commissioner Josina Morita.

Who else had to look up MWRD?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #118 - November 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm
    Post #118 - November 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm Post #118 - November 19th, 2020, 3:29 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:We learned she was MWRD Commissioner Josina Morita.

Who else had to look up MWRD?

Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago (MWRD) - just edited it in above.
    Cathy2

• Post #119 - November 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm
    Post #119 - November 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm Post #119 - November 20th, 2020, 2:51 pm
    Hi,

Long ago, Friday was no meat. Often this meant fish sticks or macaroni cheese was our dinner.

When we lived in Maryland, my Mom would buy fish cakes in the fresh food section. These rounded cakes arranged on a tray with plastic wrap. I don't know if they were made in-house or repackaged. I do remember liking them very much.

When I moved back to this area some years later, I went back to the very store hoping to find what we bought. I came up dry.

Years later, I read an article about Baltimore Coddies. The description sounded very similar to what we enjoyed. While I believe Mom baked these fishcakes, the Baltimore style is fried. It is served with yellow mustard and Saltines. My Mom served these with tartar sauce. I am pretty certain nobody in my family was aware of the yellow mustard and Saltines tradition.

I thought Coddies would be an excellent recipe to substitute in Asian Carp. I used 2 parts potato to 1 part Asian Carp. I boiled Russet potatoes skin-on, then mashed them with a few tablespoons milk. I poached the ground fish in a cup or so of the pho-shrimp broth from yesterday. The drained fish was mixed into the potatoes, then took a potato masher to break up any chunks. Salt, pepper, mashed crackers (not Saltines, I used Ritz crackers) and two beaten eggs were mixed into the fish and potato mixture. I formed these into rounded cakes about the size of a Ritz cracker, then refrigerated to firm them up for 30 minutes. These were fried in Canola oil, then kept on a rack over a plate in a warm oven.

These fish cakes were a hit. I reminded my parents this meal of fishcakes and kidney bean salad was a classic offering at our house. Of course, I was the only one who remembered this in vivid detail. What they may not recall, they certainly enjoyed with abandon. Any fish crumbs that fell through the rack my Dad scooped up.

Yesterday's fish balls were compared to the fish cakes, with the fish cakes a clear winner. Crunchy texture almost always tilts the scales at my household. I still think a meal of fried fish balls will be welcome.

Asian Carp experiment number two has concluded.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #120 - November 30th, 2020, 7:15 pm
    Post #120 - November 30th, 2020, 7:15 pm Post #120 - November 30th, 2020, 7:15 pm
    For the second week of the Asian Carp Challenge we visited the Black Fire Brigade (8404 S Kedzie) to try another carpburger. The Black Fire Brigade is a group of African-American employees of the Chicago Fire Department who began an organized effort to train and mentor young people interested in becoming firefighters or paramedics. The CFD has a long and well-documented tradition of exclusionary hiring practices. As Fire Lieutenant Quention Curtis said, “Everything African-Americans have ever got through the fire department has always been through a lawsuit. That’s just the fact of it. We’re trying to change the narrative.” The Black Fire Brigade bought the building once occupied by the Gaelic Fire Brigade (you can see traces of the removed lettering above the red doors).

It was almost an exact duplicate of the previous week's burger at Dirk's. I had been looking forward to trying a different style so that was slightly disappointing, but I wasn't too unhappy because it's a good fishburger. The same afternoon, Asian carp pakoras were being served at Kolachi Tandoori Grill in Hanover Park, but unfortunately that was too far to go.

I got a chance to speak with Commissioner Morita on a variety of mostly carp-related topics. Here, she is interviewing someone about their first Asian carp experience.

She gave Cathy2 a five-pound tub of carp which is being put to good use.

JoelF wrote:If nothing else, it needs a better branding than Asian Carp.

From Commissioner Morita I learned that the Illinois Department of Natural Resources is working on a new name for the fish. If anyone has more information on this rebranding effort, please let me know. It seems that Carter's, Springfield's excellent fish market, has already taken this on. It seems their fish shack has been selling deep-fried 'Silver Fin' for a while now. Carter's has a lot of experience preparing and selling buffalo, another very bony fish, so this is right up their alley.

ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:

Was going to say about the same thing . . . if there were a way for it to be profitable on a scaled-up basis, someone would be doing it already.

Happily, not all businesses think like this. From what I understand, a major problem in Illinois has been too few processing facilities with river access so fishermen can easily drop off their catch. In the last couple years, over ten independent fishing crews banded together as the Midwest Fish Co-op, with Clint Carter as president. At the same time, a number of new processors have become active (or are being established). I believe the fish for the Asian Carp Challenge came from Sorce Enterprises in East Peoria, which recently expanded their riverside carp facility with the aim of processing 15 million pounds a year. It sounds like a similar facility, Colgan Carp Solutions, is planned for North Peoria. It will be interesting to see how these projects proceed. There's certainly plenty of raw product.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more