LTH Home

Monkey-Picked (sic) Tea with a Side of Stocks

Monkey-Picked (sic) Tea with a Side of Stocks
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Monkey-Picked (sic) Tea with a Side of Stocks

Post #1 - January 22nd, 2006, 9:12 pm
    Post #1 - January 22nd, 2006, 9:12 pm Post #1 - January 22nd, 2006, 9:12 pm
    This may be old news to the LTH crowd, but I got a kick out of it.

Last night I was treated to a fine dinner at Green Zebra -- my first visit there. Things went smoothly; the meal and service were excellent. But then we were offered a dessert menu featuring "Monkey-Picked Tea". I freely admit that I ought to be hip to such transparent marketing ploys aimed at the entitled consumer of the finest, rarest, and richest. However, my sensible revulsion at the idea of a $6.00 pot of tea was no match for my delight at the whimsical notion of a tea picked by monkeys. In what Doolittlean parallel universe is this a reality? And the irony of a tea picked by an undoubtedly exploited group of monkeys being hawked at a vegetarian restaurant was delicious in the extreme. So, they had me: my gullible creative side and my inner cynic were both engaged by the prospect of drinking tea made from leaves picked by monkeys.

And the tea, you ask? Perfectly ordinary, nothing to write home about.

Later last evening, a quick Google search yielded a majority of sites such as this one, run by tea merchants that approached the matter with a tabloid "STRANGE-BUT-TRUE" angle:

http://www.firebox.com/?dir=firebox&act ... ct&pid=617

Still, Enquiring minds (and chow-obsessives) want to know. This site (below) seems to have decoded the "monkey-picked" brand story, and uncovered its distant origins in actual events.

http://www.thefragrantleaf.com/mopitea.html

After dreams of wandering thirsty and dissheveled in a strangely familiar landscape with a young, buff Charlton Heston, I awoke to Sunday morning coffee, a bagel, and a Sun Times front page featuring a cebus monkey holding a pencil with the caption: "Your Stock Pick Could Mean Free Vacation: Our Monkey Has Made His Choices. Can You Beat Him?"

Hell no. But I can make him a cup of tea.

[/i]
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #2 - January 23rd, 2006, 2:16 pm
    Post #2 - January 23rd, 2006, 2:16 pm Post #2 - January 23rd, 2006, 2:16 pm
    Josephine,

The second link you posted references the allegedly monkey-picked variety of Ti Guan Yi -- Iron Goddess of Mercy.

Years ago, Bill Holland of Todd & Holland Tea told me that he sells a lot of this tea to young women -- he speculated that these customers might have been attracted to the cool sounding and potentially "empowering" name of the product. All of which suggests, not surprisingly, that in the 5,000 years that tea has been consumed on this planet, there's been a lot of time to develop catchy branding strategies.

Hammond
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #3 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:40 pm
    Post #3 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:40 pm Post #3 - January 23rd, 2006, 10:40 pm
    David,
    Kind of makes you weepy, thinking about the art of marketing as a 5,000 year old tradition, doesn't it?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #4 - June 9th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    Post #4 - June 9th, 2022, 3:12 pm Post #4 - June 9th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    On the less whimsical side, this is not the first I've heard of this issue but it currently seems to be gaining some additional traction . . .

at foodmanufacturing.com, Ben Munson wrote:Walmart has become the latest major retailer to drop a coconut milk brand after allegations of forced monkey labor surfaced.

According to Axios, Walmart no longer sells Chaokoh products in stores and online, and the company’s Sam’s Club outlets are also no longer listing the product. Walmart joins other retailers including Target, Costco, Kroger and more in dropping the brand amid pressure from PETA.

Walmart Pulls Coconut Milk Amid Monkey Labor Allegations

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #5 - June 10th, 2022, 12:41 am
    Post #5 - June 10th, 2022, 12:41 am Post #5 - June 10th, 2022, 12:41 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:On the less whimsical side, this is not the first I've heard of this issue but it currently seems to be gaining some additional traction . . .

at foodmanufacturing.com, Ben Munson wrote:Walmart has become the latest major retailer to drop a coconut milk brand after allegations of forced monkey labor surfaced.

According to Axios, Walmart no longer sells Chaokoh products in stores and online, and the company’s Sam’s Club outlets are also no longer listing the product. Walmart joins other retailers including Target, Costco, Kroger and more in dropping the brand amid pressure from PETA.

Walmart Pulls Coconut Milk Amid Monkey Labor Allegations

=R=

A few months back, I went up to Walmart looking for Chaokoh coconut milk. The manager told me that the ONLY brand they carries was Taste of Thai and Thai Kitchen. Ditto on the Walmart.com website.

It is a brand that I have only found in Asian markets.

Sounds like they are jumping on the bandwagon.
  • Post #6 - June 10th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Post #6 - June 10th, 2022, 11:14 am Post #6 - June 10th, 2022, 11:14 am
    Slightly off topic but along the same lines: Some small maple syrup producers use draft horses to work in the woods, they being surer-footed in muddy spring conditions than tractors. Does this mean some syrups are made by "forced horse labor"? Ditto for Amish cheese, etc?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more