LTH Home

What are you drinking?

What are you drinking?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 42 of 42 
  • Post #1231 - January 15th, 2014, 7:58 pm
    Post #1231 - January 15th, 2014, 7:58 pm Post #1231 - January 15th, 2014, 7:58 pm
    spanky wrote:Did you get the HopSlam in Illinois or did you get it in Michigan?

Cardinal Liquors in Palatine. I had stopped in at 2pm to just ask "when will you be getting the hopslam?" and as I was looking for the beer guy, the delivery guy showed up with the stuff! Pricey though, $19.99 a six pack. I suspect Binny's will be at least 2 to 3 dollars cheaper.
  • Post #1232 - January 15th, 2014, 9:27 pm
    Post #1232 - January 15th, 2014, 9:27 pm Post #1232 - January 15th, 2014, 9:27 pm
    Can't find it as of late but in the last few months was really enjoying Shiner's Prickly Pear. Its released in limited quantity so not being able to have it often makes it even more special to me.
  • Post #1233 - January 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    Post #1233 - January 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm Post #1233 - January 16th, 2014, 3:47 pm
    mhill95149 wrote:
    spanky wrote:Did you get the HopSlam in Illinois or did you get it in Michigan?

Cardinal Liquors in Palatine. I had stopped in at 2pm to just ask "when will you be getting the hopslam?" and as I was looking for the beer guy, the delivery guy showed up with the stuff! Pricey though, $19.99 a six pack. I suspect Binny's will be at least 2 to 3 dollars cheaper.

Binny's by me said it's 15.99. They have a limit of 1 six-pack per person. I'll be grabbing one from them tonight and then hitting a couple of other places to see if anyone else has it. Apparently some Meijer stores have had it for about 10 bucks a six-pack, which I assume is an error on their part. I'm going to look at the one by me tonight and see if they have any.

I had a few beers at Three Floyds last night. Behemoth which is a barley wine and one of my favorite beers that they make. Very tasty. Space Station Middle Finger was sort of similar to Zombie Dust but not as citrusy. Very drinkable. Also had a pint of Ham on Rye which is the first beer I ever had at the brewery and it was as good as I remember it. I could drink that stuff all day if I didn't have to drive home. The aftertaste is like you took a bite out of a ham on rye sandwich.
    Last edited by gorack on January 17th, 2014, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #1234 - January 16th, 2014, 3:54 pm
    Post #1234 - January 16th, 2014, 3:54 pm Post #1234 - January 16th, 2014, 3:54 pm
    The Cardinal Liquors in Palatine was asking $6.25 for each BCBS during the release in November. So, I figured they were going to be high for the Hopslam as well.... But, I did get a case so less driving for me!
  • Post #1235 - January 26th, 2014, 8:03 pm
    Post #1235 - January 26th, 2014, 8:03 pm Post #1235 - January 26th, 2014, 8:03 pm
    I have invented the Alberta Clipper cocktail. It consists of Lakeshore gin, a few drops of maple syrup, a big handful of snow, and bitters... lots and lots of bitters.
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #1236 - January 26th, 2014, 8:19 pm
    Post #1236 - January 26th, 2014, 8:19 pm Post #1236 - January 26th, 2014, 8:19 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:I have invented the Alberta Clipper cocktail. It consists of Lakeshore gin, a few drops of maple syrup, a big handful of snow, and bitters... lots and lots of bitters.

Love it!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #1237 - January 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm
    Post #1237 - January 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm Post #1237 - January 26th, 2014, 8:28 pm
    Half Acre Chocolate Camaro... I think their best version of this yet!
  • Post #1238 - January 26th, 2014, 9:09 pm
    Post #1238 - January 26th, 2014, 9:09 pm Post #1238 - January 26th, 2014, 9:09 pm
    mamagotcha wrote:I have invented the Alberta Clipper cocktail. It consists of Lakeshore gin, a few drops of maple syrup, a big handful of snow, and bitters... lots and lots of bitters.

You're just missing the key ingredient--the salt of tears from a -20 degree wind chill.

I'm sure it was delicious and the good news is you'll have plenty more opportunities to make them this week!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #1239 - January 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm
    Post #1239 - January 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm Post #1239 - January 26th, 2014, 11:04 pm
    Bspar wrote:Half Acre Chocolate Camaro... I think their best version of this yet!

I have been underwhelmed by this in the past but will give it another shot.

Had my first Hop Slam(s) of the season tonight in honor of.........well, don't really need a reason for Hop Slam. Good as ever.
  • Post #1240 - November 26th, 2015, 1:33 am
    Post #1240 - November 26th, 2015, 1:33 am Post #1240 - November 26th, 2015, 1:33 am
    This thread may be slightly dormant, but it was what the search turned up for this information.
    Unless you've been hiding out for awhile, you should know that this Friday, the 27th, is when Goose Island will officially release the 2015 Bourbon County Stout, and its variants.
    I was not trying too hard to get this in 2014. I was not going to queue up overnight at Binny's in Lincoln Park. I will not do it this year, either. (Especially since Lev is no longer working there.) Part of the story was that with its increased production, bottles of the main beverage would turn up at locations like Walgreens, & Jewel-Osco. I'll just utter I didn't find it there. I did not get any bottles of 2014. I finally managed to taste the main beverage at World Of Beer in Evanston in February.
    Where I shall go this Friday will be Fatpour @ Division & Damen Sts. At 2:00 pm, Goose Island is having some sort of tasting event there. It might be upstairs at Fatpour.
    If that's too early for you, you may want to try for Timothy O'Toole's @ Fairbanks & Ontario at 5:00 pm. I will be on a one-day Ventra pass. (I also have the Central Electric Railfans' Association's monthly meeting @ State & Congress that evening.) I may try to hit both venues. Maybe not.
    If you enjoy Goose Island Bourbon County, be on the lookout for it starting Friday. :!:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #1241 - November 26th, 2015, 12:07 pm
    Post #1241 - November 26th, 2015, 12:07 pm Post #1241 - November 26th, 2015, 12:07 pm
    pudgym29 wrote: This thread may be slightly dormant, but it was what the search turned up for this information.
    Unless you've been hiding out for awhile, you should know that this Friday, the 27th, is when Goose Island will officially release the 2015 Bourbon County Stout, and its variants.
    I was not trying too hard to get this in 2014. I was not going to queue up overnight at Binny's in Lincoln Park. I will not do it this year, either. (Especially since Lev is no longer working there.) Part of the story was that with its increased production, bottles of the main beverage would turn up at locations like Walgreens, & Jewel-Osco. I'll just utter I didn't find it there. I did not get any bottles of 2014. I finally managed to taste the main beverage at World Of Beer in Evanston in February.
    Where I shall go this Friday will be Fatpour @ Division & Damen Sts. At 2:00 pm, Goose Island is having some sort of tasting event there. It might be upstairs at Fatpour.
    If that's too early for you, you may want to try for Timothy O'Toole's @ Fairbanks & Ontario at 5:00 pm. I will be on a one-day Ventra pass. (I also have the Central Electric Railfans' Association's monthly meeting @ State & Congress that evening.) I may try to hit both venues. Maybe not.
    If you enjoy Goose Island Bourbon County, be on the lookout for it starting Friday. :!:

If it's just the taste of BBCS you crave, and not the collector's halo, know that the bar at Binny's South Loop always has some variant of BBCS on tap pretty much year round. Now that the holiday season is starting so, too, does their silly season of unpredictable hours so best to call first.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #1242 - December 23rd, 2015, 12:48 am
    Post #1242 - December 23rd, 2015, 12:48 am Post #1242 - December 23rd, 2015, 12:48 am
    goose.jpg
    I got to try the full spectrum of this year's BCS over the weekend. I think any fans of BCS will be happy with this year's product. For my tastes, Coffee was the clear winner, followed by Rare and the regular. I enjoyed the other three as well, but there was a decent gap after the regular in my rankings.

But the big winner of the night was the Backyard Rye Bourbon County Brand Stout from 2013. That concoction, which included mulberries, marionberries, and boysenberries, was unbelievably good. If you have a chance to try that one, don't hesitate.
  • Post #1243 - May 10th, 2019, 11:06 am
    Post #1243 - May 10th, 2019, 11:06 am Post #1243 - May 10th, 2019, 11:06 am
    On Wednesday, since I was heading to a sexpositive munch | slosh at Draft Picks in Naperville {but closer to Aurora}, and went to Chicago Union Station to catch an express train to the station, I encountered this free pop-up cocktail mixer bar with David Mor (Cindy's Rooftop) making the concoctions. Image Image Image
    I had the FT101 and Garden Party. They were nice, smooth, and refreshing. My preference was the FT101. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #1244 - November 16th, 2020, 10:57 pm
    Post #1244 - November 16th, 2020, 10:57 pm Post #1244 - November 16th, 2020, 10:57 pm
    I enjoy replying to myself. But I caution other LTHF members if this continues, I may annex this thread. :twisted:
    I posted this to the Beer Advocate "Post a picture of your latest beer haul (2020)" thread. It is a solid read, if I say so myself {YMMV}, so I will redistribute it here. :D
    I had an intriguing day Monday, 9 November 2020.
    Gazing at the weather forecast, particularly for this week, either Monday or Tuesday was the day to go out shopping.
    This was additionally a day to operate the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint. It had not been started since 30 September. Allowing a vehicle to spend this much time in a non-operational state can present a problem. Regardless of its model year.
    At 2:15 pm, I went into the garage here at the abode. Opening and closing the overhead garage door is fraught with hazard. The automatic mechanical function of this failed years ago (My dad was still alive.). Manually raising the door involves a deal of weight-lifting, with the bonus poser of the lower edge of the door falling off. A finesse must be performed to temporarily hang the edge to an upper rafter. This is scheduled to be repaired | replaced in 2021.
    Door jerryrigged, got inside the Sprint, pressed the accelerator pedal for five seconds, fully depressed the clutch, and turned the ignition key. A number of lights illuminate on the dash, including that of the battery (very new), but the starter motor would not crank. :cry:
    I wait a minute. I try again. The same dash lights beam, but no response from the starter motor.
    I decide to check the engine's connections. Pop the inside release. Get out of the Sprint, press the hood opening button, raise the hood, implement the rod which keeps the hood up, and inspect cables.
    I pay particular attention to the cables connecting to the spark plugs (only three - the 1987 Sprint has principally an overgrown motorcycle engine ~ Have I mentioned despite the Chevrolet name, replete with the 'bow tie' logo on the hood, is actually a proxy for Suzuki?). When I lived in southern California, and owned a 1973 Volkswagen Beetle, a friend there told me the street savvy method to prevent it being stolen off the street was to remove the cable connecting the starter motor to the alternator. A would-be thief might be able to get inside the VW, might somehow defeat the European iron rod clamping the clutch pedal to the steering wheel, and would somehow manipulate the ignition to hot-wire it - but would finally be defeated by the engine not turning over despite cranking because that cable was missing (and he had not brought that). Go steal someone else's auto, you thug.
    I press the connections. They seem to be tight fitting. I get back inside the Sprint and try to start it again. Same dash lights glow. But no sound of engine cranking.
    Damn it. I will have to call Triple A again. This is most probably due to the Sprint not being operated since September. [Can you sense the double-edged sword being implied here? Perhaps now you understand why I prefer to ride transit to beer bazaars, supermarkets, dollar stores, and restaurants where I take out food?]
    I go back upstairs to the abode and call AAA. I do not deal with a human. The automatic software program leads me through the steps. There is a new rule which is quite significant: If my (or anybody's) auto needs a tow somewhere, I am not allowed to ride in the tow truck with that driver. I would have to find an alternate method to get there.
    The program tells me it will likely take up to 60 minutes for somebody to appear here. At 2:35 pm on a weekday afternoon on Chicago's northwest side. (If you have an incident at 11:45 pm on a weeknight on I-55 in Bolingbrook, I ponder if you would be perched on the shoulder for three hours?) It notes my telephone number. I suspect I would get a phone call when the responder was close.
    I remain in the abode for more minutes. I pull out the new copy of SHINDIG! magazine (#109) and read more articles and record reviews (Uriah Heep is going to have a 25-CD retrospective release?!). There is no call from AAA. There is a spam robocall from "Apple Support" informing me about a problem it has somehow remotely detected. Hang up on that. :evil:
    After more minutes elapse, I opt to go wait for the tow truck in the garage. I am faintly confident that after I get the jump start, the auto will be back in the groove; I won't have to worry about it starting at each of the merchants I shop.
    Back in the garage, back in the Sprint; I deduce the tow truck driver will ask me to indicate what is the snag. The hood is still propped open. I put the key back in the ignition. I step on the clutch. I turn the key.

The starter motor engages. The battery sends its charge. It takes ten seconds of cranking. The Sprint turns over.
    What the heck?! :roll: I do not need to wait for AAA to show up now.
    I get out of the Sprint and close the hood.
    I pull the Sprint out of the garage. I have to be cautious closing the garage door from the outside. I close it.
    Let's get moving, Steve. Since it is also a poor move to shop on an empty stomach, my first stop will be a Burger King. I have a coupon for a $5 Whopper meal (small fries, small pop). Since I am motoring, none of my stops will be in the City of Chicago. All my stops will be along Touhy Ave. Pathetic Google™ insisted on putting me on I-94 to Touhy and then performing a run-around because you cannot make a left turn into the Burger King lot at Touhy and Carpenter. No, Google™, I'm going to remain northbound on Cicero to Elston, and go north on Central (| Carpenter) to get into this Burger King.
    The Burger King is open for take-out. (I have never trusted drive-throughs. To me, they will all perform a slick trick like giving you a small order of fries when you paid for a larger size. Which you would not detect until you were back at home.) I dine on its patio - what patio? It is el hood-o time. Something which can be done when it is dry and the temperature is in the 70s. Not when it is raining and in the 40s. Which is the forecast for Thursday.
    Let's get to it, people. The Sprint starts swiftly this time. The second stop is Binny's Beverage Mart in Lincolnwood. It is a right turn off Touhy just east of Lincoln Ave. I am unfamiliar with this Binny's.
    When I shop a Binny's via transit, it is usually the store on W. Irving Park Rd. in Portage Park. But there was one time when it was the Logan Square location at Diversey & Pulaski. (I was coupling it with Jimmy's Red Hots at Grand & Pulaski.) More noteworthy is I buy canned beer on these jaunts because they are smaller and less weighty. On this jaunt, I am looking for bottled beer and cases at that.
    I did pretty well here. It was out of one package I was seeking: The 15-pack of 12-oz cans of Genesee Cream Ale ($7.99). The items obtained were:
    • 4 Hands Chocolate Milk Stout 6-pack 12-oz cans $7.99*
    • Metropolitan Stromhaus Helles 6-pack 12-oz cans 8.99*
    • Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter 6-pack 12-oz bottles 8.99*
    • (2) Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Porter 12-pack 12-oz bottles 29.98*
    • Egan's Irish vintage grain whiskey 750-mL bottle 34.97#
    • Saugatuck Stout Pack 12-pack 12-oz cans 17.99
    • North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout 4-pack 12-oz bottles 8.99
    • Revolution Deth's Tar Stout 4-pack 12-oz cans 24.99
    • Maplewood Tiger Mount Helles 4-pack 16-oz cans 9.99
    • Alarmist Crispy Boy Pilsner 4-pack 16-oz cans 9.99
    • Bent River Jingle Java 6-pack 12-oz bottles 10.99
    • Point Special Lager 12-pack 12-oz bottles 8.99
    • Lakefront Variety Pack 12-pack 12-oz bottles 16.99
    • * = with Binny's card / # = somebody's Xmas gift
    Total = $232.87
    Think that was expensive? Well, the numbers of people in Illinois contracting COVID-19 are going in the wrong direction. There is going to be another complete shutdown with "Stay-At-Home" mandates most likely before the December holiday season, because it seems family groupings are where the infections are coming to pass. If you are intelligent {at least some of you must be}, you should be stocking up on beer lest even curbside pickups are embargoed. I hope this round does not close the Chicago Public Library, lest I go another 90 days without broadband internet access.
    The next stop for me was a department store where no beer was procured, so I will not provide you the details. The Sprint did again start swiftly.
    The final stop was Trader Joe's in Park Ridge. There are a couple of twisty turns from Touhy and Northwest Hwy. Figure it is two blocks north.
    You can likely deduce why the stop here. November should provide the annual arrival of Trader Joe's Vintage Spiced Ale by Unibroue. I scribed "should" because earnestly, any number of happenings which took place in 2019 might not in 2020, including the brewing of this ale.
    I entered the store. I did not see cases of this ale stocked up front by the checkout lanes. I rolled over to the beer aisle and saw a number of interesting beers; priced well as far as I thought. So they did get into my cart.
    I almost missed where the 750-mL bottles of this Ale were. Single bottles were on a lower shelf in the elbow of the beer aisle. I picked up one bottle and walked over to the customer service desk. “Do you have a case of this”?
    It had at least one case of this in the storage. Phew. These other beers being bought were fine. But wondering if the Ale was available at another Trader Joe's was encroaching on my brain. {If it does not have any more, does it have an idea of which other store might?}
    So here is the tally:
    • Trader Joe's Vintage 2020 Spiced Ale (Quebec) 12 750-mL bottles $71.88
    • Josephsbrau Winter Ride Dark Doppelbock (San Jose, CA.) 6-pack 12-oz bottles 6.49
    • Orangeboom Premium Lager (Germany) 6-pack 16-oz cans 6.99
    • Simpler Times Lager (Monroe, WI.) 12-pack 12-oz cans 7.49
    • Simpler Times Pilsner (Monroe, WI.) (2) 6-pack 12-oz cans 7.98
    Total = $114.94
    Total spent on beer {& one bottle of Irish Whiskey} = $347.81
    I did not haul out my camera though. So there are no images this time. I apologize.
    This should suffice until February 2021. If I have to begin consuming the 22-oz bottles in either the refrigerator (some have been in there since February 2020), or bringing them up from the beer cellar, I am grudgingly amenable to doing such. At this point in time, I think COVID-19 will still be threatening peoples' health in May 2021 - that Illinois Craft Beer Week will have to be again postponed.
  • Post #1245 - March 7th, 2023, 2:55 pm
    Post #1245 - March 7th, 2023, 2:55 pm Post #1245 - March 7th, 2023, 2:55 pm
    What with cold temperatures forecast for metropolitan Chicago for the next week (below what I perceive they should be), I opted to haul out the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint on Monday and hit a handful of stores for which the items obtained would be too heavy or bulky to be brought back to the abode via a CTA transit bus.
    To not 'bury the lead', the jaunt came out OK, but there were down spots.
    Here is a Google™ map of the intended (and accomplished) route.
    (Lest somebody worry that I am "doxxing" myself; I inform you that that address is the address I give to Google™. It is very close to where I really am - I glimpse it every time I go out to catch a CTA bus, but since we just had the municipal election here [and shall have the runoff], it is in the 30th Ward, and I am in the 31st Ward. For over 44 years, the first floor of the address was Mimi's Adult Book Store, which I suspected Google™ would not be so swift to check.)
    To start with; I did not start. The Sprint had probably not been operated since December 2022. Trying to turn over the engine lead to the battery sounding a click. Oh dear. I had to call AAA and get a jump start on it. On first blush, this sounds lousy; but on reconsideration, an early Monday afternoon is a time when any number of tow truck operators who have battery jump equipment are working.
    This delay took forty minutes. Obviously, it fulfilled. {I have to set some sort of calendar note to at least physically start the Sprint every thirty days.}
    The primary factor for this venture was the dwindling amount of packaged beer in the beer cellar. Glaringly, the lower door shelf in the refrigerator upstairs, where bottled beer sits, had four empty spots. The desired initial store was
    Binny's Beverage Depot; 7175 Lincoln Ave.; Lincolnwood, IL. 60712
    {I sense you gesturing at your monitor and pondering, "Why didn't Pudgy go to his usual Binny's at Pulaski and Diversey, or the one at Irving Park and Lamon?"}
    It is income tax season. Tax avoidance is legal, and many people employ it. If I can concoct a route that can avoid City of Chicago taxes and fees (like the plastic bag charge), I will. But for this I usually need the 1987 Sprint. [N.B.: This also applies to Cook County. You may recall a trip in July 2022 which involved Bensenville.] [N.B.2: There was one jaunt to the Binny's in River Grove which I managed to make on the route #77 Belmont bus.]
    I had a list of beers I sought to buy. But because Binny's does not recognize my E-Mail address (I cannot log on to it, and it does not send the password e-mail reset to it. Fie on it.), I could not ask it to set aside my order.
    • La Chouffe Cherry $9.99^ B
    • Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter 9.99^ B
    • Hofbrau Winter Spezial 9.99^ B
    • Arcobrau Coronator 13.99^ B
    • 4 Hands Absence of Light 9.99^ C
    • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Imperial Milk Stout 12.99^ B
    • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale 12.99^ B
    • Sanuel Adams Gameday Variety 15.99^ B
    • Shiner 1909 Heritage Lager 12.99^ B
    • Odell Variety 16.99^ C
    • Noon Whistle Bruski Lager 9.99 C
    • Art History Fastenbier 11.99 C
    • Genesee Cream Ale 7.99 C
    ^ = with Binny's card, B = Bottles, C = Cans
    Total = $175.84. I saved $19.00.
    Image Image Image Image
    This should be enough for the season. 8)
    The secondary objective was to buy more Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine frozen entrees for $2.50 each from Food 4 Less in the Main St. plaza in Evanston. This was advertised in the Mariano's advert from the weekly flyer I scarfed from N. Hamlin Ave. and which I summarily looked up on the Food 4 Less W-WW site. It was the same price. It just was not mentioned on its advert.
    I got to this Food 4 Less. I did not espy the slick sheet mentioning what you could get $1.00 off of if you bought five or more.
    I hit the aisle where the frozen dinners were. The cases had had a catastrophic temperature failure. :cry: The section where the Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine entrees would have been were sitting empty with their doors propped open. This was the biggest 'down' on the jaunt. This would have also effected the Michelina's frozen entrees (10 | $10.00); but there was an end point freezer with them. Five varities, including the overstocked Spicy Chicken Alfredo. I bought three of the five: Fettucini Alfredo, Cheeseburger Mac, and Salisbury Steak.
    The side effect of this was to restore the Jewel-Osco to the jaunt. This is at 2485 Howard St. in Evanston. It likely is the Kosher Jewel to which NFriday refers, because it has the Chicago Jewish Home newspaper. I had digital coupons for Clyde's donuts and Michelina's entrees (limit 4) there. The Michelina's bought there were Lasagna Alfredo, Peppers & Steak, Stroganoff, and Beef & Broccoli. I looked, but I could not find any setup for the J.J.'s lunchbox pies. The price it was asking for Lean Cuisine entrees ($3.99!) was exorbitant. :evil:
    Since both of these stores had mostly failed, I made the controversial decision to hit the Walmart Super at 3626 Touhy Ave. in Skokie. Maybe it was selling the unbought entrees at a near price.
    It was similarly adequate. I did opt to take advantage of the Burger King therein. For some bizarre reason, I did not have any of the collected Burger King coupon sheets in my parcel (This is where previously obtained plastic bags are stashed.). But it did have a kiosk. I found the section where the "two for $7.00" order is and had a Big King and a Big Fish. Alas, not even Walmart could fill the gaping maw. I wound up buying "we made too many" fresh-baked bagels six for $2.13 and a seven-pound bag of cat litter for $1.87.
    I elected to make one more stop on the way back to the abode. A store which should get more mentions on LTHF is New York Bagels & Bialys. It now closes at 11:00 pm each night and reopens at 6:00 am. I bought six bagels: three pumpernickel, and three egg. They were $7.29 (cash). It accepts a credit card, but there may be a surcharge.
    I contemplated taking the #54 Cicero bus to the Food 4 Less at 4821 W. North Ave. today, but have dropped it. I am not confident it will have the entrees, and my nose is running a bit. I do not really need to go out anywhere the next days. Amidst all these bagels and donuts, my breakfasts are set for the next fortnight.
    Last edited by pudgym29 on May 18th, 2023, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #1246 - April 27th, 2023, 1:05 pm
    Post #1246 - April 27th, 2023, 1:05 pm Post #1246 - April 27th, 2023, 1:05 pm
    Goldfinger Brwg.'s Danube Swabian beer. Image :)
    Last edited by pudgym29 on May 18th, 2023, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #1247 - April 29th, 2023, 9:27 am
    Post #1247 - April 29th, 2023, 9:27 am Post #1247 - April 29th, 2023, 9:27 am
    Tangentially related to food: if 120VAC is available near the Sprint's resting place, a trickle charger is worthwhile to prevent delays and eventual total battery failure. Get one at your favorite wannabe grocer: Performax™ 1.25-Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer at Menards https://www.menards.com/main/tools/auto ... c-9100.htm

Or park at the top of a hill and roll start it, assuming it has a manual transmission.
  • Post #1248 - May 12th, 2023, 7:40 pm
    Post #1248 - May 12th, 2023, 7:40 pm Post #1248 - May 12th, 2023, 7:40 pm
    2019 Paraduxx Red Blend
  • Post #1249 - May 12th, 2023, 8:25 pm
    Post #1249 - May 12th, 2023, 8:25 pm Post #1249 - May 12th, 2023, 8:25 pm
    Water. :mrgreen:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #1250 - May 12th, 2023, 9:17 pm
    Post #1250 - May 12th, 2023, 9:17 pm Post #1250 - May 12th, 2023, 9:17 pm
    LOL might be Pedialyte and water for me tomorrow
  • Post #1251 - May 13th, 2023, 12:31 am
    Post #1251 - May 13th, 2023, 12:31 am Post #1251 - May 13th, 2023, 12:31 am
    Lately it's been Casa Santos Lima Portuguese Blend. Pretty good, slightly Shirazy, and cheap at Sendik's or maybe Costco.
  • Post #1252 - May 18th, 2023, 8:29 pm
    Post #1252 - May 18th, 2023, 8:29 pm Post #1252 - May 18th, 2023, 8:29 pm
    What with cold temperatures forecast for metropolitan Chicago for the next week (below what I perceive they should be), I opted to haul out the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint on Monday and hit a handful of stores for which the items obtained would be too heavy or bulky to be brought back to the abode via a CTA transit bus.
    To not 'bury the lead', the jaunt came out OK, but there were down spots.
    Here is a Google™ map of the intended (and accomplished) route.
    (Lest somebody worry that I am "doxxing" myself; I inform you that that address is the address I give to Google™. It is very close to where I really am - I glimpse it every time I go out to catch a CTA bus, but since we just had the municipal election here [and shall have the runoff], it is in the 30th Ward, and I am in the 31st Ward. For over 44 years, the first floor of the address was Mimi's Adult Book Store, which I suspected Google™ would not be so swift to check.)
    To start with; I did not start. The Sprint had probably not been operated since December 2022. Trying to turn over the engine lead to the battery sounding a click. Oh dear. I had to call AAA and get a jump start on it. On first blush, this sounds lousy; but on reconsideration, an early Monday afternoon is a time when any number of tow truck operators who have battery jump equipment are working.
    This delay took forty minutes. Obviously, it fulfilled. {I have to set some sort of calendar note to at least physically start the Sprint every thirty days.}
    The primary factor for this venture was the dwindling amount of packaged beer in the beer cellar. Glaringly, the lower door shelf in the refrigerator upstairs, where bottled beer sits, had four empty spots. The desired initial store was
    Binny's Beverage Depot; 7175 Lincoln Ave.; Lincolnwood, IL. 60712
    {I sense you gesturing at your monitor and pondering, "Why didn't Pudgy go to his usual Binny's at Pulaski and Diversey, or the one at Irving Park and Lamon?"}
    It is income tax season. Tax avoidance is legal, and many people employ it. If I can concoct a route that can avoid City of Chicago taxes and fees (like the plastic bag charge), I will. But for this I usually need the 1987 Sprint. [N.B.: This also applies to Cook County. You may recall a trip in July 2022 which involved Bensenville.] [N.B.2: There was one jaunt to the Binny's in River Grove which I managed to make on the route #77 Belmont bus.]
    I had a list of beers I sought to buy. But because Binny's does not recognize my E-Mail address (I cannot log on to it, and it does not send the password e-mail reset to it. Fie on it.), I could not ask it to set aside my order.
    • La Chouffe Cherry $9.99^ B
    • Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter 9.99^ B
    • Hofbrau Winter Spezial 9.99^ B
    • Arcobrau Coronator 13.99^ B
    • 4 Hands Absence of Light 9.99^ C
    • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Imperial Milk Stout 12.99^ B
    • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale 12.99^ B
    • Sanuel Adams Gameday Variety 15.99^ B
    • Shiner 1909 Heritage Lager 12.99^ B
    • Odell Variety 16.99^ C
    • Noon Whistle Bruski Lager 9.99 C
    • Art History Fastenbier 11.99 C
    • Genesee Cream Ale 7.99 C
    ^ = with Binny's card, B = Bottles, C = Cans
    Total = $175.84. I saved $19.00.
    Image Image Image Image
    This should be enough for the season. 8)
    The secondary objective was to buy more Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine frozen entrees for $2.50 each from Food 4 Less in the Main St. plaza in Evanston. This was advertised in the Mariano's advert from the weekly flyer I scarfed from N. Hamlin Ave. and which I summarily looked up on the Food 4 Less W-WW site. It was the same price. It just was not mentioned on its advert.
    I got to this Food 4 Less. I did not espy the slick sheet mentioning what you could get $1.00 off of if you bought five or more.
    I hit the aisle where the frozen dinners were. The cases had had a catastrophic temperature failure. :cry: The section where the Stouffer's and Lean Cuisine entrees would have been were sitting empty with their doors propped open. This was the biggest 'down' on the jaunt. This would have also effected the Michelina's frozen entrees (10 | $10.00); but there was an end point freezer with them. Five varities, including the overstocked Spicy Chicken Alfredo. I bought three of the five: Fettucini Alfredo, Cheeseburger Mac, and Salisbury Steak.
    The side effect of this was to restore the Jewel-Osco to the jaunt. This is at 2485 Howard St. in Evanston. It likely is the Kosher Jewel to which NFriday refers, because it has the Chicago Jewish Home newspaper. I had digital coupons for Clyde's donuts and Michelina's entrees (limit 4) there. The Michelina's bought there were Lasagna Alfredo, Peppers & Steak, Stroganoff, and Beef & Broccoli. I looked, but I could not find any setup for the J.J.'s lunchbox pies. The price it was asking for Lean Cuisine entrees ($3.99!) was exorbitant. :evil:
    Since both of these stores had mostly failed, I made the controversial decision to hit the Walmart Super at 3626 Touhy Ave. in Skokie. Maybe it was selling the unbought entrees at a near price.
    It was similarly adequate. I did opt to take advantage of the Burger King therein. For some bizarre reason, I did not have any of the collected Burger King coupon sheets in my parcel (This is where previously obtained plastic bags are stashed.). But it did have a kiosk. I found the section where the "two for $7.00" order is and had a Big King and a Big Fish. Alas, not even Walmart could fill the gaping maw. I wound up buying "we made too many" fresh-baked bagels six for $2.13 and a seven-pound bag of cat litter for $1.87.
    I elected to make one more stop on the way back to the abode. A store which should get more mentions on LTHF is New York Bagels & Bialys. It now closes at 11:00 pm each night and reopens at 6:00 am. I bought six bagels: three pumpernickel, and three egg. They were $7.29 (cash). It accepts a credit card, but there may be a surcharge.
    I contemplated taking the #54 Cicero bus to the Food 4 Less at 4821 W. North Ave. today, but have dropped it. I am not confident it will have the entrees, and my nose is running a bit. I do not really need to go out anywhere the next days. Amidst all these bagels and donuts, my breakfasts are set for the next fortnight.
  • Post #1253 - May 18th, 2023, 8:54 pm
    Post #1253 - May 18th, 2023, 8:54 pm Post #1253 - May 18th, 2023, 8:54 pm
    Diet Coke.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #1254 - August 29th, 2023, 10:15 pm
    Post #1254 - August 29th, 2023, 10:15 pm Post #1254 - August 29th, 2023, 10:15 pm
    Here is the sidecar to my soda post. Overnight on the 26th, I shopped Binny's World-Wide Web site. Yes, Binny's finally accepted my logon data and sends E-Mails to an address I read.
    I bounced between a few locations before settling on Elmwood Park [7330 W. North Ave.] (Because this would be coupled with Michael's, Food 4 Less, and Jewel-Osco.)
    Ordering items online and picking-up in store has been done by me before, even prior to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hazard with it is if store staff selects items with freshness dates that you or I would put back on the shelf. {Hey! This is 'Best by' thirty-seven days from now. :evil:}
    Truthfully, there is something I bought, because it had a keen member discount [$6.00]; which turned out to be realistic. The Sierra Nevada variety pack had been compounded on 21 April [c.v.].
    The beers bought were:
    • Bell's Octoberfest 6-pack bottles $9.99
    • Kentucky Vanilla Cream Ale 6-pack bottles 12.99
    • Sierra Nevada Variety 12-pack bottles 12.99
    • Paulaner Variety 12-pack bottles 15.99
    • Samuel Adams Variety 12-pack bottles 15.99
    • Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest 12-pack bottles 9.99
    • Firestone Walker Oaktoberfest 6-pack cans 8.99
    • Genesee Cream Ale 12-pack cans 7.99%
    • Art History Good Morning Munich 4-pack 16-oz. cans 12.99%
    "%" = denotes non-member pricing
    TOTAL = $120.56
    I inclde photographs of how some of the 12-packs were coded. The Sierra Nevada was discounted by six dollars for Binny's card members; and for a good reason. Look at the packaging date for it.
    The Leinenkugel's was one or two dollars cheaper than the price being commanded for it at Jewel-Osco or Tony's Fresh Market. The Jewel I shopped had not put its allotment of Leinie's Oktoberfest on display yet.
    Image Image Image Image Image
  • Post #1255 - September 18th, 2023, 10:06 am
    Post #1255 - September 18th, 2023, 10:06 am Post #1255 - September 18th, 2023, 10:06 am
    Tried an Erdinger Alkoholfrei on a flight recently and was pleasantly surprised. Nice non-alcoholic Weiss with a clean finish. No off-flavors. Will get it again.
  • Post #1256 - September 18th, 2023, 12:14 pm
    Post #1256 - September 18th, 2023, 12:14 pm Post #1256 - September 18th, 2023, 12:14 pm
    My ingredient of the summer was Giffard's Banane du Brésil. It is a banana liqueur with a hint of cognac, much less syrupy and sweet than your parents' creme de banana. It would likely not appeal to people who hate artificial banana, but everyone I've served it to who likes banana has loved this. My favorite application is in an old-fashioned, with bourbon or rye and different bitters, garnished with a brûléed banana slice.

On the wine front, I'm enjoying fall wine delivery season! Mayacamas has been received, awaiting Sandlands and Kosta Browne. I don't order my full allocations, so if anyone would want some bottles from any of these wineries in the future, please DM me your email and we can work out details.
  • Post #1257 - September 20th, 2023, 7:22 am
    Post #1257 - September 20th, 2023, 7:22 am Post #1257 - September 20th, 2023, 7:22 am
    Smassey wrote:My ingredient of the summer was Giffard's Banane du Brésil. It is a banana liqueur with a hint of cognac, much less syrupy and sweet than your parents' creme de banana. It would likely not appeal to people who hate artificial banana, but everyone I've served it to who likes banana has loved this. My favorite application is in an old-fashioned, with bourbon or rye and different bitters, garnished with a brûléed banana slice.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I bought a bottle of the banana liquer about a month ago. I've loved fake banana flavors ever since I had my first Beich's banana Laffy Taffy. This stuff is awesome and highly recommended if you like banana. It's the most banana flavor ever. It would be delicious inan old fashioned.

https://www.binnys.com/spirits/liqueurs ... esil-70543

Since I was so taken with the banana flavor, I returned the next week and bought a bottle of their pineapple liquer. Nowhere near as satisfying as the banana and not super pineappley. I will probably have to use it while making Painkillers in the future.
  • Post #1258 - September 20th, 2023, 4:42 pm
    Post #1258 - September 20th, 2023, 4:42 pm Post #1258 - September 20th, 2023, 4:42 pm
    deesher wrote:
    Smassey wrote:My ingredient of the summer was Giffard's Banane du Brésil. It is a banana liqueur with a hint of cognac, much less syrupy and sweet than your parents' creme de banana. It would likely not appeal to people who hate artificial banana, but everyone I've served it to who likes banana has loved this. My favorite application is in an old-fashioned, with bourbon or rye and different bitters, garnished with a brûléed banana slice.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I bought a bottle of the banana liquer about a month ago. I've loved fake banana flavors ever since I had my first Beich's banana Laffy Taffy. This stuff is awesome and highly recommended if you like banana. It's the most banana flavor ever. It would be delicious inan old fashioned.

https://www.binnys.com/spirits/liqueurs ... esil-70543

Since I was so taken with the banana flavor, I returned the next week and bought a bottle of their pineapple liquer. Nowhere near as satisfying as the banana and not super pineappley. I will probably have to use it while making Painkillers in the future.

A year or so ago Binny's had a pineapple amaro on their last bin shelf. It was excellent, I was sad I couldn't buy it again.

Then on my last trip to Gene's in Lincoln Square I saw it there, they had plenty of it. Guess just Binny's just stopped carrying it.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more