LTH Home

Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen (Jewish Deli)

Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen (Jewish Deli)
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
  • Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen (Jewish Deli)

Post #1 - February 11th, 2015, 3:56 pm
    Post #1 - February 11th, 2015, 3:56 pm Post #1 - February 11th, 2015, 3:56 pm
    For quite a few years, Kaufman's has been on my very short list as a potential GNR nominee. Frankly, it's kind of surprising that Kaufman's isn't already a GNR. I was actually going to nominate them a few years ago, but an untimely fire closed them down for over a year before I had the chance to do so. Then, phoenix-like, they rose from the ashes to once again become Chicagoland's premier source for Jewish deli items, not to mention their baked goods. Their corn rye is world class, as is their challah. Their bagels, though usually second fiddle to those from GNR NYB&B, are head and shoulders above those from corporate type bagel spots and more than fine when a one stop shopping trip for Lox & Bagels is in order on a Sunday morning, and, of course, a Kaufman's deli tray is de rigueur at any Jewish funeral.

Kaufman's has been a board favorite since the very early days of LTHForum. The full thread is here, but you will also find a reference to Kaufman's in nearly any thread that discusses anything to do with a Jewish deli in Chicagoland (do a search on Kaufman's and you'll see).

Besides myself, many other people have had great things to say about Kaufman's through the years. Here's a little sample:

I think that Kaufman's has the best non-homemade chopped liver in the area. Their rye breads are also excellent. - Ronnie Suburban

I stopped by Kaufman's for a tongue, chopped liver and coleslaw on rye with spicy mustard. Right on the money, and I love the fact at a real deli no one looks at you cross-eyed when you order combos that might seem odd to uninitiated. - G Wiv

I'm happy they are back, and have already been there twice! I highly recommend the smoked whitefish salad. All the whitefish is smoked on premises, and its delicious. - Franabanana

Holy cow, their danish is fantastic. I bought a bunch of them this morning and I just sat down to one now. They could have baked it ten minutes ago, it was that tender and soft still, and loaded with cherries in the middle. - Pie Lady

It is my great pleasure to nominate Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen as a Great Neighborhood Restaurant and Resource.

Kaufman's Bagel & Delicatessen
    4905 W Dempster
    Skokie IL, 60077
    847 677 6190
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - February 11th, 2015, 8:00 pm
    Post #2 - February 11th, 2015, 8:00 pm Post #2 - February 11th, 2015, 8:00 pm
    It is my pleasure to second this nomination. My family has been shopping here for generations. Most holiday meals have included something from Kaufman's. Homemade kishke. Great selection of smoked fish. Excellent sandwiches.
  • Post #3 - February 11th, 2015, 8:27 pm
    Post #3 - February 11th, 2015, 8:27 pm Post #3 - February 11th, 2015, 8:27 pm
    I'll endorse this one: best corned beef and chopped liver sandwich around!
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - February 11th, 2015, 9:43 pm
    Post #4 - February 11th, 2015, 9:43 pm Post #4 - February 11th, 2015, 9:43 pm
    I think I just assumed this was a GNR, it's a no brainer for me, from deckel to sable, it never fails to satisfy. Bonus points for the grandmas & grandpas who always offer advice on my ordering.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #5 - February 11th, 2015, 9:57 pm
    Post #5 - February 11th, 2015, 9:57 pm Post #5 - February 11th, 2015, 9:57 pm
    I absolutely support this nomination. Best new pickles, excellent corned beef, first-rate smoked fish. Site of my favorite deli counter sass:
    Customer: Are the fish fresh?
    Counterman: Listen. Caught yesterday, caught today, they're all dead, lady.
  • Post #6 - February 12th, 2015, 3:03 pm
    Post #6 - February 12th, 2015, 3:03 pm Post #6 - February 12th, 2015, 3:03 pm
    "...and how much does it weigh w/o your finger on the scale?"

So miss places like this. There used to be so many more.... Big yes as a GNR.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #7 - February 12th, 2015, 3:06 pm
    Post #7 - February 12th, 2015, 3:06 pm Post #7 - February 12th, 2015, 3:06 pm
    Slow service, but well worth waiting for. Yes!
  • Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:07 pm
    Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:07 pm Post #8 - February 16th, 2015, 4:07 pm
    I thoroughly support this nomination. Kaufman's is really, really good at what they do. And there are so many things they do well - the lunch meats (as is or in sandwiches), the smoked fish, the baked goods, and on and on and on. Definitely YES!
  • Post #9 - February 17th, 2015, 11:16 am
    Post #9 - February 17th, 2015, 11:16 am Post #9 - February 17th, 2015, 11:16 am
    I'm happy to support this nomination.

As noted above, Kaufman's has many excellent products. I'm particularly fond of their poppy seed hamantaschen (available again very soon, perhaps tomorrow, per a phone call this am)

Last year I went on a pastrami kick though I usually prefer corn beef. I had received a gift of Zingerman's pastrami from a friend, and it was wonderful.

Looking for a local source I tried a number of delis in the northern suburbs for pastrami, and Kaufman's was the best as well as the closest in taste to Zingerman's. Kaufman's gets their pastrami from a Detroit-area supplier which may explain the similarity. Whatever the reason it's another example of Kaufman's commitment to quality.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #10 - February 17th, 2015, 10:24 pm
    Post #10 - February 17th, 2015, 10:24 pm Post #10 - February 17th, 2015, 10:24 pm
    I will add my support. Been a biannual (or so) treat for my family longer than I've been alive, to be sure.
  • Post #11 - February 19th, 2015, 6:58 am
    Post #11 - February 19th, 2015, 6:58 am Post #11 - February 19th, 2015, 6:58 am
    I'll pipe up my support, too. In addition to the well-praised deli delights, and the freezer stuffed full of home-made soups, I have found myself just going here as my local bakery. I think their seeded rye bread is absolutely the best example of its type; hard crust, slight sourness, good chew, lots of seeds. Bagels: good*. Hamburger rolls: fresh, good, reasonably priced. Cakes I've tried have been good - the carrot cake and I have developed a meaningful relationship.

Include me in the enumeration of enthusiasts.

Giovanna

*I am in the crowd that considers NY Bagel & Bialy better, but Kaufman's are still pretty good. And closer to home ....
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #12 - February 24th, 2015, 6:28 pm
    Post #12 - February 24th, 2015, 6:28 pm Post #12 - February 24th, 2015, 6:28 pm
    I endorse Kaufman's as a GNR as well. They do what a good deli ought to and offer some of the best seeded corn rye around. Pickles and chopped liver are great and their brunch trays are a great way to light up a room of hungry eaters. I was surprised to learn that they were not already a GNR!
  • Post #13 - February 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm
    Post #13 - February 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm Post #13 - February 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm
    IMHO, best corned beef, chopped chicken liver and seeded rye bread around. A true GNR.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #14 - February 27th, 2015, 11:27 pm
    Post #14 - February 27th, 2015, 11:27 pm Post #14 - February 27th, 2015, 11:27 pm
    Grazed the deluxe fish and meat trays today and everything was first rate. We were gulping water all afternoon. (Hey, between the lox, sturgeon and deli meats, nobody was surprised. Or complaining.) One more rave for the rye bread--and I grew up on Detroit deli rye bread (twice baked so the crust is the 8th wonder of the world). I'm also surprised to learn it isn't already a GNR.
  • Post #15 - February 28th, 2015, 5:00 pm
    Post #15 - February 28th, 2015, 5:00 pm Post #15 - February 28th, 2015, 5:00 pm
    *I am in the crowd that considers NY Bagel & Bialy better, but Kaufman's are still pretty good. And closer to home ....

But the Skokie location of NY Bagel & Bialy is less than two miles away on Dempster - literally a three minute drive. While I am a long-time customer at Kaufman's, specifically for their frozen kreplach and fish (and support the nomination), I'd choose NY Bagel & Bialy 10 times out of 10 for bagels - and especially bialys. Kaufman's bialys are bready and weirdly sweet. Not good.

It's worth the three minute drive.
  • Post #16 - February 28th, 2015, 5:18 pm
    Post #16 - February 28th, 2015, 5:18 pm Post #16 - February 28th, 2015, 5:18 pm
    I love and fully support this nomination. While I agree that the bagels are more to my liking at NYB&B (already a GNR), this isn't only about bagels and just about everything else is better at Kaufman's. It's not even close, really. If you want soups, deli meats, breads, rolls, pastries, pickles, condiments and a full menu of hefty, tasty, well-composed sandwiches, Kaufman's is the superior choice. Their reuben struedel and savory spinach rugelah are both outstanding. They don't do anything like that -- original creations -- at NYB&B. But this isn't a competition. Both places are great at what they do and both are completely worthy of GNR status.

The bottom line for me is that Kaufman's does a multitude of things exceedingly well. A great nomination!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #17 - February 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm
    Post #17 - February 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm Post #17 - February 28th, 2015, 5:24 pm
    Love love love Kaufman's! Corn rye and corn bagel two of my favorite bites in all of Chicagoland.

Like the new store or, as co-owner Judy endearingly refers to it, emporium, and now that I've learned to take my deli ticket right when I enter there is never much of a wait after I am done in the bakery section.

Kaufman's for GNR, Absolutely!

Kaufman's, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #18 - March 15th, 2015, 8:44 pm
    Post #18 - March 15th, 2015, 8:44 pm Post #18 - March 15th, 2015, 8:44 pm
    Slam dunk. Kaufman's should be a GNR for it's corn rye alone. Nothing I'd rather put my pastrami on.
    --Rich
    I don't know what you think about dinner, but there must be a relation between the breakfast and the happiness. --Cemal Süreyya

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more