LTH Home

LTHNLG - Fatmans Gurnee - March 6th - 11:30am

LTHNLG - Fatmans Gurnee - March 6th - 11:30am
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • LTHNLG - Fatmans Gurnee - March 6th - 11:30am

Post #1 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:26 pm
    Post #1 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:26 pm Post #1 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:26 pm
    We're going commando again for the March outing. I've driven past this place a million times. Never stopped in.

Some of the recent LTH pizza chatter mentioned that this place puts out some decent product. They've gotta a $10 16" cheese special on Mondays. Let's check it out. Might be too chilly for volleyball. As always, bring a friend.

Fatmans Gurnee
    36309 Skokie Hwy.
    Gurnee, IL 60031
    (847) 244-8300
    https://fatmansgurnee.com/

Dave148 = Esteemed Coordinator - LTH North Lunch Group.
    jnm123
    Cathy2
    WillG
    LHS
    Last edited by Dave148 on March 3rd, 2023, 7:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:29 pm
    Post #2 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:29 pm Post #2 - February 22nd, 2023, 1:29 pm
    Yeah, I'm in. Hope RAM4 is too for perspective. Kaiser's & Wells Bros. are the last two, let's hit the trifecta, baby!
  • Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 5:54 pm
    Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 5:54 pm Post #3 - February 22nd, 2023, 5:54 pm
    Hi,

I have heard lots of stories of this place, but never went inside.

I plan to attend.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
    Post #4 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:02 pm Post #4 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
    jnm123 wrote:Yeah, I'm in. Hope RAM4 is too for perspective. Kaiser's & Wells Bros. are the last two, let's hit the trifecta, baby!
    I would definitely be there but I am not back in town until the end of March at the earliest. I have never tried Fatman either.
  • Post #5 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Post #5 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:29 pm Post #5 - February 23rd, 2023, 2:29 pm
    Neither of us can make this one, sorry.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #6 - February 25th, 2023, 8:05 am
    Post #6 - February 25th, 2023, 8:05 am Post #6 - February 25th, 2023, 8:05 am
    Should be able to make it.

Thanks, Will
  • Post #7 - March 3rd, 2023, 6:57 am
    Post #7 - March 3rd, 2023, 6:57 am Post #7 - March 3rd, 2023, 6:57 am
    Question is...do we or do we not...order the pizza well-done?

If we're doing a direct comparison to Kaiser's, then the answer is yes. What was a shame was not being able to try out Wells Bros. well-done. We decided at the table because of the menu caveat that stated 'the house is not responsible for well-done pizzas', we opted to do without. The pizza was still outstanding, but how much more cracker-y would that crust have gotten well-done--too dry maybe? Probably half well-done would've been perfect.

Am I the only one that thinks along these lines? The perfect bite. I'm sure Ram4 obsesses like this... :lol:
  • Post #8 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:00 am
    Post #8 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:00 am Post #8 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:00 am
    jnm123 wrote:Am I the only one that thinks along these lines?

Yes
  • Post #9 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am
    Post #9 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am Post #9 - March 3rd, 2023, 7:36 am
    Count me in.
  • Post #10 - March 5th, 2023, 9:18 am
    Post #10 - March 5th, 2023, 9:18 am Post #10 - March 5th, 2023, 9:18 am
    There's a reservation for Rothschild. See ya tomorrow!
  • Post #11 - March 5th, 2023, 2:49 pm
    Post #11 - March 5th, 2023, 2:49 pm Post #11 - March 5th, 2023, 2:49 pm
    I've gotta work instead. Curious to hear how you all think it compares to Kaiser's.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #12 - March 5th, 2023, 7:52 pm
    Post #12 - March 5th, 2023, 7:52 pm Post #12 - March 5th, 2023, 7:52 pm
    RAM4 has a standard he has kept up for years. It works for him. If you recall, he ordered his own pizza at Kaiser's to maintain this standard comparative.

At Kaiser's and Well's Brothers, we have ordered extra crisp without any negative consequences. Usually it was sausage, pepper, onion and mushroom, which at Kaiser's was the first to be finished. The second pizza had pepperoni which was finished at a slower pace. Why not stick to what we know, like and can make a direct comparative based on our experience?

I have always wanted to go to Fat Mans. Looking forward to this.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #13 - March 6th, 2023, 6:28 am
    Post #13 - March 6th, 2023, 6:28 am Post #13 - March 6th, 2023, 6:28 am
    Cathy2 wrote:At Kaiser's and Wells Brothers, we have ordered extra crisp without any negative consequences.

That's right, the times before at Wells Bros. we ordered extra crispy. This last time a few months ago--were you there?--we did not order it that way because of the menu thing.
  • Post #14 - March 6th, 2023, 6:34 am
    Post #14 - March 6th, 2023, 6:34 am Post #14 - March 6th, 2023, 6:34 am
    jnm123 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:At Kaiser's and Wells Brothers, we have ordered extra crisp without any negative consequences.

That's right, the times before at Wells Bros. we ordered extra crispy. This last time a few months ago--were you there?--we did not order it that way because of the menu thing.

Oy Vey!
  • Post #15 - March 6th, 2023, 8:17 am
    Post #15 - March 6th, 2023, 8:17 am Post #15 - March 6th, 2023, 8:17 am
    Hi,

I wasn't there. I have seen the Well's Brothers note and still ordered as I wanted without any reservations.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - March 6th, 2023, 3:27 pm
    Post #16 - March 6th, 2023, 3:27 pm Post #16 - March 6th, 2023, 3:27 pm
    Great pizza and company today. I’ll yield to the crust snobs to chime in.
  • Post #17 - March 6th, 2023, 4:47 pm
    Post #17 - March 6th, 2023, 4:47 pm Post #17 - March 6th, 2023, 4:47 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Great pizza and company today. I’ll yield to the crust snobs to chime in.

Dave, remember what Rush drummer Neil Peart wrote: 'If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.' Let that sink in for awhile, Ray Bolger... 8)

You did, however, make one cogent remark. You queried, 'Is there really any 'bad' pizza?' To which I answered yes, there is but not very often. Most pizza is better than no pizza at all, even Stouffer's French Bread Pizza. In York, Maine, there about 6-7 choices for pizza within 10 miles, with all of them being somewhere on the scale between barely edible & mediocre. Really.

Last spring, a new 'Detroit'-style place opened on Rte. #1, and the first try was promising indeed. Since then it's been varying degrees of dog you-know-what. Part of the problem up there, since the start of Covid, is not enough workers has made for wildly inconsistent quality control.

So my point is...you take Fatman's sausage/green pepper/onion/mushroom or sausage/onion thin crust 'up Maine', as they say, and I'm all over it, my choice for pizza every time. Here? So much competition. Bottom line is that I like the crust slightly better at both Kaiser's & Wells Bros. Fatman's sausage was pretty good--again, better than most.

But the feng shui, man. It means '...a system of laws considered to govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy...' Overall, the pizza of Fatman tasted fine, but I thought--especially on the 4 ingredient pie--that there was too much overall cheese, and then it pooled heavily toward the center, making the inner circle & crust pieces worlds apart in looks, texture & yes, taste. That should never happen. At Wells Bros., and to a certain extent Kaiser's, all components are as one when taking the bite, with every bite a consistent flavor profile, from center to crust.

That deep enough thought for you, EC?
  • Post #18 - March 6th, 2023, 5:24 pm
    Post #18 - March 6th, 2023, 5:24 pm Post #18 - March 6th, 2023, 5:24 pm
    jnm123 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Great pizza and company today. I’ll yield to the crust snobs to chime in.

Dave, remember what Rush drummer Neil Peart wrote: 'If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.' Let that sink in for awhile, Ray Bolger... 8)

You did, however, make one cogent remark. You queried, 'Is there really any 'bad' pizza?' To which I answered yes, there is but not very often. Most pizza is better than no pizza at all, even Stouffer's French Bread Pizza. In York, Maine, there about 6-7 choices for pizza within 10 miles, with all of them being somewhere on the scale between barely edible & mediocre. Really.

Last spring, a new 'Detroit'-style place opened on Rte. #1, and the first try was promising indeed. Since then it's been varying degrees of dog you-know-what. Part of the problem up there, since the start of Covid, is not enough workers has made for wildly inconsistent quality control.

So my point is...you take Fatman's sausage/green pepper/onion/mushroom or sausage/onion thin crust 'up Maine', as they say, and I'm all over it, my choice for pizza every time. Here? So much competition. Bottom line is that I like the crust slightly better at both Kaiser's & Wells Bros. Fatman's sausage was pretty good--again, better than most.

But the feng shui, man. It means '...a system of laws considered to govern spatial arrangement and orientation in relation to the flow of energy...' Overall, the pizza of Fatman tasted fine, but I thought--especially on the 4 ingredient pie--that there was too much overall cheese, and then it pooled heavily toward the center, making the inner circle & crust pieces worlds apart in looks, texture & yes, taste. That should never happen. At Wells Bros., and to a certain extent Kaiser's, all components are as one when taking the bite, with every bite a consistent flavor profile, from center to crust.

That deep enough thought for you, EC?

I’m sorry. I dozed off for a bit. Were you talking to me?
  • Post #19 - March 7th, 2023, 2:48 am
    Post #19 - March 7th, 2023, 2:48 am Post #19 - March 7th, 2023, 2:48 am
    I wasn't there, but this is a common problem at Fatman's - the toppings are a couple inches smaller than the pizza, leaving a big ring of untopped crust. Otherwise it's pretty good pizza. And service is usually friendly.

Were there some dudes smoking weed outside near the door? And some poor souls obsessively playing slots in the corner?
  • Post #20 - March 7th, 2023, 5:16 am
    Post #20 - March 7th, 2023, 5:16 am Post #20 - March 7th, 2023, 5:16 am
    tjr wrote:Were there some dudes smoking weed outside near the door? And some poor souls obsessively playing slots in the corner?

Unless jnm123 snuck back in after I left, no.
  • Post #21 - March 7th, 2023, 7:44 am
    Post #21 - March 7th, 2023, 7:44 am Post #21 - March 7th, 2023, 7:44 am
    tjr wrote:Were there some dudes smoking weed outside near the door? And some poor souls obsessively playing slots in the corner?

Dammitall, another opportunity missed! :shock:
  • Post #22 - March 7th, 2023, 12:33 pm
    Post #22 - March 7th, 2023, 12:33 pm Post #22 - March 7th, 2023, 12:33 pm
    HI,

Fatman's does have a reputation. I remember reading of someone dead in their car from an overdose. That was back when the building looked like it was built from mud to look like adobe. The motel next door had a western theme.

A friend's sister was the fatman's girlfriend, because yes it was once owned by the fatman. When he died there were far more motorcycles than cars making their way to the cemetary, because it was pictured in a newspaper.

I was reminded yesterday that I once proposed a really early breakfast at Fatman's. I cannot find the post, though I do vaguely recall suggesting this. I think nobody responded and I stayed home. If it were in Chicago, I might have gone anyway, because someone might have showed up.

I was glad to go to Fatman's yesterday. I enjoyed all the cheesy goodness of their pizza, especially with all cheese pizzas were $10, then you added the ingredients. I think I will take my parents there sometime.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more