LTH Home

Lamb Farming in the U.S., Aug 24, 2022 @ 7 PM via Zoom

Lamb Farming in the U.S., Aug 24, 2022 @ 7 PM via Zoom
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Lamb Farming in the U.S., Aug 24, 2022 @ 7 PM via Zoom

Post #1 - August 15th, 2022, 9:21 pm
    Post #1 - August 15th, 2022, 9:21 pm Post #1 - August 15th, 2022, 9:21 pm
    Culinary Historians of Chicago

What Ewe Always Wanted to Know About Lamb Farming In The U.S.

Presented by John and Sukey Jamison, owners, Jamison Farm, Latrobe, Pa.

Links to recipes
    Delicious Lamb Shanks
    Mushroom Lamb Stroganoff

From Scott Warner, president, Culinary Historians of Chicago:

As a kid, I was always hesitant when it came to eating lamb chops; too often they were greasy and usually had an unpleasant “lamby” taste. In the last few years however, the lamb chops I’ve been buying from my local grocery store have been meaty, juicy and non “lamby” tasting.

But it wasn’t until I met lamb farmers John and Sukey Jamison this past spring (at the International Association of Culinary Professionals Annual Conference in Pittsburgh), that I fully realized my new addiction to lamb chops was because I’ve now been eating grass-fed rather than corn-fed lamb.

I had this lamb epiphany when I chatted with the Jamisons as they were signing copies of their recently published book, “Coyotes in the Pasture and Wolves at the Door.” This book of recipes and reminiscences tells how, in the early 80’s, they became entranced with an old stone house in rural Pennsylvania. They wanted to buy it, but the owner, a farmer, wouldn’t sell it without the 210 grassy acres it sat on. So they bought the house, acres and all, and became accidental lamb farmers to make use to make use of the land.

The Jamison’s developed a thriving mail order business, first selling to home cooks, with Sukey providing innovative lamb recipes. Their business greatly expanded when, in the early 90’s, Chuck Williams of Williams Sonoma asked the Jamisons to be in their catalog. Word of their quality lamb also spread to our nation’s top chefs, who ordered custom cuts. In Chicago alone, culinary icons like Charlie Trotter, Rick Bayless and Grant Achatz counted themselves as customers.

And here’s what Dan Barber, renowned chef/owner of New York’s Blue Hill restaurant, says about the Jamisons: “John and Sukey broke the mold of modern agriculture. When everyone was heading towards mass production and uniformity, they looked to the past — to the great traditions of peasant farming. The flavor of their lamb speaks for itself.”

Wednesday, August 24, 2022
    7 p.m. Central Time
    Via ZOOM

If you are not already on our email list, then to receive zoom link, please e-mail: Culinary.Historians@gmail.com

http://www.CulinaryHistorians.org
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - August 16th, 2022, 11:45 am
    Post #2 - August 16th, 2022, 11:45 am Post #2 - August 16th, 2022, 11:45 am
    Do we need to sign up for this? Or just sign in on Wednesday? Looks interesting.

Reminds me that, at a conference in Louisville a few years ago, I learned that lamb is the meat of choice for BBQ in Kentucky -- though I've also had BBQ lamb in Missouri. So many options.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - August 25th, 2022, 12:52 pm
    Post #3 - August 25th, 2022, 12:52 pm Post #3 - August 25th, 2022, 12:52 pm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcXzB96jI0

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - August 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm
    Post #4 - August 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm Post #4 - August 25th, 2022, 10:17 pm
    Podcast on What Ewe Always Wanted to Know About Lamb Farming In The U.S.

From 2008 until mid-2013, Culinary Historians programs were recorded by WBEZ via Chicago Amplified. Since then, we have recorded our programs hosted on soundcloud.

You can find a list here.

We are also on:
    Google Podcast
    iHeartRadio
    Apple Podcast
    rss feed
    RadioPublic
    SoundCloud
    Spotify
    Stitcher

These run the length of an introduction plus presentation with questions, but no food samples for anyone until we meet in person once more. :D
    Cathy2

• Post #5 - August 26th, 2022, 3:29 pm
    Post #5 - August 26th, 2022, 3:29 pm Post #5 - August 26th, 2022, 3:29 pm
    As always, thanks, Cathy2. Got caught up in a phone call and miss the live -- so looking forward to the podcast.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more