LTH Home

LTH Picnic SUN Sep 18, 2022 - Forest Glen Grove #1, 10am-4pm

LTH Picnic SUN Sep 18, 2022 - Forest Glen Grove #1, 10am-4pm
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - August 11th, 2022, 11:32 am
    Post #61 - August 11th, 2022, 11:32 am Post #61 - August 11th, 2022, 11:32 am
    I am in and so is my son - Matthew.

Jenny
  • Post #62 - August 11th, 2022, 1:16 pm
    Post #62 - August 11th, 2022, 1:16 pm Post #62 - August 11th, 2022, 1:16 pm
    JennyIL wrote:I am in and so is my son - Matthew.

Jenny

Okay, great. I've added you to the list, which I've copied here . . .

ronnie_suburban +1 - trio of cold sides (slaw, cucumber salad, eggplant spread)
    JoelF
    SueF
    glennpan +2
    nr706 - mystery exotic fare
    REB +1
    RAB +1
    Jazzfood +1 - cigrons amb botifarra negra ceba
    Cynthia - bean dish
    justjoan +1 - undecided, something desserty . . . ? 8)
    boudreaulicious
    pudgym29 - pop
    LynnB +2 - Apricot-Pineapple Empanaditas or . . . :)
    Danijake +1 - sausage
    mbh - Great Sea wings, paper plates
    kalamazoogal + Coops + 3 - homemade ice cream, 'Ratatouille’s Ratatouille'
    irisarbor + 3 - Triple Bread & Butters Feast
    laikom + Teresa
    mamagotcha + Chouxfly - pork and chimichurri
    BR
    EvA + Cabbagehead - trio of appetizer spreads
    pairs4life + 1
    gastro gnome
    JennyIL + 1 (Matthew)
    borborigmy + 2 - Albanian dish
    LauraS + 3
    ~53~

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #63 - August 13th, 2022, 6:09 am
    Post #63 - August 13th, 2022, 6:09 am Post #63 - August 13th, 2022, 6:09 am
    Xhulia and I will be there (along with our 7 month old) and I plan on cajoling Xhulia into making an Albanian dish.
    "My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."

-Orson Welles-
  • Post #64 - August 13th, 2022, 9:44 am
    Post #64 - August 13th, 2022, 9:44 am Post #64 - August 13th, 2022, 9:44 am
    I will be there +1 and 2 kids. Not sure yet what we'll bring. Looking forward to it!
  • Post #65 - August 13th, 2022, 11:19 am
    Post #65 - August 13th, 2022, 11:19 am Post #65 - August 13th, 2022, 11:19 am
    borborigmy wrote:Xhulia and I will be there (along with our 7 month old) and I plan on cajoling Xhulia into making an Albanian dish.

Excellent - see you there!

LauraS wrote:I will be there +1 and 2 kids. Not sure yet what we'll bring. Looking forward to it!

Terrific. Looking forward to seeing you.

I've added all of you to the list.

=R=
  • Post #66 - August 31st, 2022, 8:21 am
    Post #66 - August 31st, 2022, 8:21 am Post #66 - August 31st, 2022, 8:21 am
    Hi,

I am not able to attend.

I have a VIP baby shower to attend.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #67 - August 31st, 2022, 12:08 pm
    Post #67 - August 31st, 2022, 12:08 pm Post #67 - August 31st, 2022, 12:08 pm
    Something has come up and Jennie and I will not be able to attend.
  • Post #68 - August 31st, 2022, 3:03 pm
    Post #68 - August 31st, 2022, 3:03 pm Post #68 - August 31st, 2022, 3:03 pm
    Looks like we'll all have to get our watermelon and paella fixes elsewhere! :lol:

Thanks for the updates. I've amended the list.

=R=
  • Post #69 - August 31st, 2022, 7:16 pm
    Post #69 - August 31st, 2022, 7:16 pm Post #69 - August 31st, 2022, 7:16 pm
    HI,

Actually, I could drop the watermelon off with someone.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #70 - August 31st, 2022, 7:57 pm
    Post #70 - August 31st, 2022, 7:57 pm Post #70 - August 31st, 2022, 7:57 pm
    An FYI for those who don't normally drive by the area near the picnic -- heading into the city, I noticed that Caldwell near Cicero is torn up, and returning home, driving north out of the city on 84, I saw that the exit for 14/Caldwell is closed. Might have an impact on some (besides me) who might have planned on taking Caldwell to Cicero.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #71 - September 6th, 2022, 10:33 am
    Post #71 - September 6th, 2022, 10:33 am Post #71 - September 6th, 2022, 10:33 am
    Less than 2 weeks until the big event . . .

If there's anyone who doesn't want to bring food or beverage, we are in need of disposable plates, silverware, napkins, trash bags, etc. Those items might be an ideal fit for some who are attending. If so, please post here and I'll update the list.

On that note, if you have a sense of what you're planning on bringing, please post it. That will allow us to update the list, so those who haven't already decided can consider filling in any gaps they see.

Also, it's probably as good a time as any to remind everyone about the most important rule: Alcohol in glass containers is expressly prohibited by FPCC. So, please if you're planning on bringing any alcohol, leave the glass at home. Frankly, playing it as safely as possible, it'd be ideal if all glass were left at home.

Thanks!

=R=
  • Post #72 - September 7th, 2022, 6:04 pm
    Post #72 - September 7th, 2022, 6:04 pm Post #72 - September 7th, 2022, 6:04 pm
    My current plan is
    3 types of bread; sourdough, challah, something dark
    3 types of butter; sweet, honey-cinnamon, garlic-herb

Planning on doing dinner roll size portions so no cutting needed!
    Really looking forward to seeing everyone
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #73 - September 7th, 2022, 9:18 pm
    Post #73 - September 7th, 2022, 9:18 pm Post #73 - September 7th, 2022, 9:18 pm
    I'm not sure what I'm bringing, but I've decided it will be in the dessert category. I was also hoping that there might be a map of the area we're going to be in since we haven't been there before.
  • Post #74 - September 7th, 2022, 10:21 pm
    Post #74 - September 7th, 2022, 10:21 pm Post #74 - September 7th, 2022, 10:21 pm
    irisarbor wrote:My current plan is

Sounds delicious!

justjoan wrote:I'm not sure what I'm bringing, but I've decided it will be in the dessert category. I was also hoping that there might be a map of the area we're going to be in since we haven't been there before.

Hi Joan,

The 'official' address of the grove is 5420 N Forest Glen Ave, Chicago

Here is a link to a map of the area:

https://mapcarta.com/W162808331

If there's anything else you or anyone else needs in the way of navigation, please just post here and I or someone else will answer. Since we've had other events at this venue in the past, I just assumed that everyone was familiar with the location. My apologies.

As Cynthia posted above, one thing of which all attendees should be aware is that the eastbound Peterson exits off the Edens are currently closed (under construction). This could affect some people. Using a navigation app to plan your route should take this into account.

Thanks!

=R=
  • Post #75 - September 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm
    Post #75 - September 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm Post #75 - September 8th, 2022, 12:46 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    irisarbor wrote:My current plan is

Sounds delicious!

justjoan wrote:I'm not sure what I'm bringing, but I've decided it will be in the dessert category. I was also hoping that there might be a map of the area we're going to be in since we haven't been there before.

Hi Joan,

The 'official' address of the grove is 5420 N Forest Glen Ave, Chicago

Here is a link to a map of the area:

https://mapcarta.com/W162808331

If there's anything else you or anyone else needs in the way of navigation, please just post here and I or someone else will answer. Since we've had other events at this venue in the past, I just assumed that everyone was familiar with the location. My apologies.

As Cynthia posted above, one thing of which all attendees should be aware is that the eastbound Peterson exits off the Edens are currently closed (under construction). This could affect some people. Using a navigation app to plan your route should take this into account.

Thanks!

=R=

thanks ronnie- i thought this was a new location for the picnic....i guess i'll recognize it when i see it. also, i've got a friend coming. her name is taisa- will probably bring something savory-but she doesnt know what, yet.
  • Post #76 - September 8th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    Post #76 - September 8th, 2022, 1:24 pm Post #76 - September 8th, 2022, 1:24 pm
    justjoan wrote:thanks ronnie- i thought this was a new location for the picnic....i guess i'll recognize it when i see it. also, i've got a friend coming. her name is taisa- will probably bring something savory-but she doesnt know what, yet.

It was here in the past, most recently in 2019 but has also been held at other venues (unnamed here to avoid any confusion), too. I'll add Taisa to the list.

Thanks!

=R=
  • Post #77 - September 8th, 2022, 1:47 pm
    Post #77 - September 8th, 2022, 1:47 pm Post #77 - September 8th, 2022, 1:47 pm
    I haven't figured out what I'm doing, only the things I've been talked out of doing:
    * Bringing my pizza oven (too much work for too little yield)
    * Deep frying bread for Hungarian langos
    Blintzes are a possibility: I need to make a passle of them for Yom Kippur, two passles isn't really that much harder, just time-consuming, and they freeze well. Sweet cheese, and potato with onion.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #78 - September 8th, 2022, 7:40 pm
    Post #78 - September 8th, 2022, 7:40 pm Post #78 - September 8th, 2022, 7:40 pm
    The last few years, we have brought a pinata. Not noticing many/any kids that will be there. I am happy to bring something else if that is better. But just wanted to confirm if people are planning on bringing kids.
  • Post #79 - September 9th, 2022, 7:21 am
    Post #79 - September 9th, 2022, 7:21 am Post #79 - September 9th, 2022, 7:21 am
    It occurs to me I don't recall seeing anyone at past picnics bringing sterno-heated steam trays. There can't be a prohibition on open flame -- people cook all over the place.
    It's probably more in the spirit of "picnic" -- cooked on-site, or cold.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #80 - September 9th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    Post #80 - September 9th, 2022, 12:25 pm Post #80 - September 9th, 2022, 12:25 pm
    glennpan wrote:The last few years, we have brought a pinata. Not noticing many/any kids that will be there. I am happy to bring something else if that is better. But just wanted to confirm if people are planning on bringing kids.

Thanks, Glenn. Unless things change in the next few days, it appears that we'll have no more than 6 kids in attendance. Up to you if you feel that warrants a pinata, or a change in plans. I usually favor tradition but maybe it doesn't make sense to continue this one this year.

JoelF wrote:It occurs to me I don't recall seeing anyone at past picnics bringing sterno-heated steam trays. There can't be a prohibition on open flame -- people cook all over the place.

From a regulatory perspective, you're correct. Sterno-heated steam trays should not be an issue. I brought my charcoal grill in 2019 and we've regularly had others do the same over the years. Fwiw, FPCC only requires a special use permit for grills "5ft & wider." That said, to me, the spirit of the picnic (food portion, anyway) is more about the overall diversity of offerings than anything else. Could a sterno-heated steam tray fit into that? Seems so to me.

=R=
  • Post #81 - September 9th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Post #81 - September 9th, 2022, 1:07 pm Post #81 - September 9th, 2022, 1:07 pm
    We had a multiple heat source set up (Trompo, made to order tortillas, multiple warming trays for various hot foods) for our LTH taco stand at one of the picnics a few (+) years ago—to this day, one of the the most fun events I’ve ever participated in.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #82 - September 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
    Post #82 - September 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm Post #82 - September 9th, 2022, 5:57 pm
    Just chiming in to say our daughter would love a piñata. :D
  • Post #83 - September 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #83 - September 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #83 - September 11th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:We had a multiple heat source set up (Trompo, made to order tortillas, multiple warming trays for various hot foods) for our LTH taco stand at one of the picnics a few (+) years ago—to this day, one of the the most fun events I’ve ever participated in.

I loved that picnic, the lovely Norma Zaragoza made our masa and loaned us her tortilla press, I learned a lot that day.

Turn's out that next weekend is going to be a busy one for me so I'm going to take the easy way and just order, I'll be bringing Great Seas wings. I'll also bring paper plates to contribute to the hard goods stash, looking forward to see everyone one again.
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #84 - September 11th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    Post #84 - September 11th, 2022, 1:51 pm Post #84 - September 11th, 2022, 1:51 pm
    glennpan wrote:The last few years, we have brought a pinata. Not noticing many/any kids that will be there. I am happy to bring something else if that is better. But just wanted to confirm if people are planning on bringing kids.

I'm sure our kiddos would love a pinata, too.
  • Post #85 - September 11th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    Post #85 - September 11th, 2022, 3:12 pm Post #85 - September 11th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    mbh wrote:Turn's out that next weekend is going to be a busy one for me so I'm going to take the easy way and just order, I'll be bringing Great Seas wings. I'll also bring paper plates to contribute to the hard goods stash, looking forward to see everyone one again.

Sounds great. Thanks, Maribeth!

LauraS wrote:

I'm sure our kiddos would love a pinata, too.

LynnB wrote:Just chiming in to say our daughter would love a piñata. :D

Guessing the RAB/REB brood would also love a pinata. :D

=R=
  • Post #86 - September 11th, 2022, 8:57 pm
    Post #86 - September 11th, 2022, 8:57 pm Post #86 - September 11th, 2022, 8:57 pm
    I may have missed it, but what’s the official start time?
    For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
  • Post #87 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm
    Post #87 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm Post #87 - September 11th, 2022, 9:17 pm
    mbh wrote:I may have missed it, but what’s the official start time?

I think it's posted somewhere but to remind everyone, it's from 10 am - 4 pm

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #88 - September 11th, 2022, 10:00 pm
    Post #88 - September 11th, 2022, 10:00 pm Post #88 - September 11th, 2022, 10:00 pm
    Hi Ronnie, this is to confirm that Coops and I will have a few younger cousins and maybe our daughter. So +2 or 3
    AND, Peter is working on a new idea for a homemade ice cream.
    I am planning to make ‘Ratatouille’s Ratatouille’

Looking forward to food, friends and fun! ~ Celia
    "A party without cake is really just a meeting" ~ Julia Child
    "There are only four great arts: music, painting, sculpture, and ornamental pastry." ~ Julia Child
    "Build a Longer Table, NOT a Wall..."
  • Post #89 - September 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm
    Post #89 - September 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm Post #89 - September 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm
    kalamazoogal wrote:Hi Ronnie, this is to confirm that Coops and I will have a few younger cousins and maybe our daughter. So +2 or 3
    AND, Peter is working on a new idea for a homemade ice cream.
    I am planning to make ‘Ratatouille’s Ratatouille’

Looking forward to food, friends and fun! ~ Celia

Okay, great. I'll update the list. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone else!

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #90 - September 12th, 2022, 11:52 am
    Post #90 - September 12th, 2022, 11:52 am Post #90 - September 12th, 2022, 11:52 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote: It occurs to me I don't recall seeing anyone at past picnics bringing sterno-heated steam trays. There can't be a prohibition on open flame -- people cook all over the place.

From a regulatory perspective, you're correct. Sterno-heated steam trays should not be an issue. I brought my charcoal grill in 2019 and we've regularly had others do the same over the years. Fwiw, FPCC only requires a special use permit for grills "5ft & wider." That said, to me, the spirit of the picnic (food portion, anyway) is more about the overall diversity of offerings than anything else. Could a sterno-heated steam tray fit into that? Seems so to me.
    You should have seen some of the set-ups for Ribs at this past Saturday's Chicago Beer Society annual picnic at the Labagh Woods Forest Preserve. Some were cafeteria-sized. A sterno-heated steam tray is not going to be ensnarled. :lol:
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more