LTH Home

LTHforum's 7th annual picnic: Sunday September 9, 2012

LTHforum's 7th annual picnic: Sunday September 9, 2012
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - September 10th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Post #211 - September 10th, 2012, 9:48 pm Post #211 - September 10th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Next year the picnic will be on Sunday, September 22,

It's already calendared/"docketed".

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #212 - September 10th, 2012, 10:09 pm
    Post #212 - September 10th, 2012, 10:09 pm Post #212 - September 10th, 2012, 10:09 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:By the way, I could use some help since I can't remember what was on the sign. The spicy bag contained: Jerk seasoning, fire salt, dried chiles, and nutmeg? curry leaves? Thanks!

I didn't get nutmeg and I think the leaves are bay leaf.

I wish I had also grabbed a bag of the sweet spices, but didn't want to appear to be a hog.

Thanks to the Spice House for the swag. We'll certainly stop by.
  • Post #213 - September 10th, 2012, 10:14 pm
    Post #213 - September 10th, 2012, 10:14 pm Post #213 - September 10th, 2012, 10:14 pm
    Cathy2:

You've outdone yourself once again! The time and effort that you put into this even is totally prodigious.

I'm looking forward to pictures!
  • Post #214 - September 11th, 2012, 12:17 am
    Post #214 - September 11th, 2012, 12:17 am Post #214 - September 11th, 2012, 12:17 am
    FOUND!
    Two orphaned knives during clean-up at the end of the picnic:

6.5" blade, wooden handle

4.5" blade, black handle

If you would like to be reunited with your cutlery, please PM me, and we'll figure out how to get it back to you.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #215 - September 11th, 2012, 9:29 am
    Post #215 - September 11th, 2012, 9:29 am Post #215 - September 11th, 2012, 9:29 am
    pairs4life wrote:

Next year the picnic will be on Sunday, September 22,

It's already calendared/"docketed".

Thanks for the heads-up!

Me too.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write fiction. You can find me—and some stories—on Facebook, Twitter and my website.
  • Post #216 - September 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm
    Post #216 - September 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm Post #216 - September 11th, 2012, 5:27 pm
    Sounds like this was great. Will any pics be posted?
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #217 - September 11th, 2012, 6:12 pm
    Post #217 - September 11th, 2012, 6:12 pm Post #217 - September 11th, 2012, 6:12 pm
    Great picnic this year, everyone! This is my first year back since 2008 and it was nice to see some familiar faces and lots of new ones. Great food, great weather and great company.

I'm sorry that I can't remember who made them, but those savory pecan cookies were awesome! Whoever brought them, I'd love to know the recipe!

Hope to see you all again next year.
    Have a good day in the kitchen.

-Tim
  • Post #218 - September 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
    Post #218 - September 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm Post #218 - September 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
    Distinktif wrote:Great picnic this year, everyone! This is my first year back since 2008 and it was nice to see some familiar faces and lots of new ones. Great food, great weather and great company.

I'm sorry that I can't remember who made them, but those savory pecan cookies were awesome! Whoever brought them, I'd love to know the recipe!

Hope to see you all again next year.

tim: you might be referring to the cheddar pecan 'biscuits' i brought? it's a traditional southern cracker- don't know who first started referring to it as a biscuit. they did look like cookies with a pecan in the center and were on the table closest to the parking lot. the recipe isn't mine, therefore i can't quote it here. it's from james vilas's book, 'the glory of southern cooking', page 19. the only changes i made were to bake them a little darker than called for (it brings out more flavor) and i sprinkled sea salt on them before baking (in addition to the salt in the recipe). i hope you can find a copy, it's a useful book if you love southern food.
  • Post #219 - September 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm
    Post #219 - September 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm Post #219 - September 11th, 2012, 8:29 pm
    What a marvelous day. A hundred tasty bites and fun, friendly folks filling the forest. :)
    I'm not sure what hasn't already been said but I can give affirmative shout outs to Joe's Hungarian Sausage & peppers from mrsm, the pepper dish from Antonius (peppers cooked 100% perfectly, perfect enough to notice), nr706's sliders, laikom's masterpiece, Team RxB's Corn Soup, Ramon's Greek potatoes (a real sleeper) and justjoan's strawberry limeade, something I wouldn't normally try but after five, six recommendations, one reconsiders.

Here are a couple drive-by shots:

At a wonderful get together like this, you know you're going to eat really well and talk to some great people. It's the unexpected surprises that last and last. Take Rene G's hand delivered Pickle pop AND Olive pop in from out of nowhere, still frozen. The generous goodie bags from Cinnamon Girl and Spice Man / Spice House had me feeling like I stole something. This sore body is thanks to Frisbee with Joel and football with Ronnie's son and buddy and Rich. If you've never seen a huge, plow-capable dog stalking squirrels, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thank you to all the organizers and participants for the incredible picnic.
  • Post #220 - September 12th, 2012, 7:42 am
    Post #220 - September 12th, 2012, 7:42 am Post #220 - September 12th, 2012, 7:42 am
    Where are my manners? Thanks for the generous gifts from the Spice House. I will be making something good with
    some of their heady mixes.
    Thanks to all of you who have posted recipes. The rum raisin cookies are SOOOOO good.
    Days later!
  • Post #221 - September 12th, 2012, 8:48 am
    Post #221 - September 12th, 2012, 8:48 am Post #221 - September 12th, 2012, 8:48 am

Next year the picnic will be on Sunday, September 22...

Well, hot damn. Never thought I'd live to see the day when the picnic would be held on my birthday! Thank you! What a way to celebrate a birthday.

And, lest my manners be thought inadequate: many thanks to all who worked so hard and brought such lip-smacking treats of all varieties, shapes, colors, textures, and tastes. And, of course, a special thanks to all those who labored behind the scenes to make this come off as seamlessly as it did.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #222 - September 12th, 2012, 11:19 pm
    Post #222 - September 12th, 2012, 11:19 pm Post #222 - September 12th, 2012, 11:19 pm
    A big thanks to everyone who contributed to such an enjoyable event. It really was a great afternoon eating tasty food and hanging out with friends. I snapped a few images on the front end of the event, which I am finally getting around to posting (it's been a busy week). I hope to follow up with some captions later when I have some more time but in the interim, I think the pictures tell the story pretty well on their own . . .

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #223 - September 13th, 2012, 7:41 am
    Post #223 - September 13th, 2012, 7:41 am Post #223 - September 13th, 2012, 7:41 am
    Here are a few pictures of the piñata courtesy of the Chow Poodle.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #224 - September 13th, 2012, 5:15 pm
    Post #224 - September 13th, 2012, 5:15 pm Post #224 - September 13th, 2012, 5:15 pm
    We had such a great time at this picnic. Just as good of a party as the Green City Market Chefs' BBQ! We really enjoyed the company and all the wonderful food. I think the person that brought the Dukkah spice mix may have inspired us to add a new blend to our product line, as it was delicious. The leaves in your spice packets were bay leaves, I put a couple in the pan whenever I make a pork roast. Now that we know how it all works, we are already thinking ahead to our dishes for next year.
  • Post #225 - September 14th, 2012, 11:33 pm
    Post #225 - September 14th, 2012, 11:33 pm Post #225 - September 14th, 2012, 11:33 pm
    So far, of the recipes I was hoping for, I still haven't seen posts for Greek potatoes, lacy cookies, dukkah, lamb paté, and at least five other things that I can't remember now but will hope get posted anyway, to jog my memory. :)
    Last edited by Cynthia on September 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #226 - September 15th, 2012, 6:28 am
    Post #226 - September 15th, 2012, 6:28 am Post #226 - September 15th, 2012, 6:28 am
    Cynthia wrote:So far, of the recipes I was hoping for, I still haven't seen posts for Greek potatoes, lacy cookies, dukkah, lamb paté, and at least five other things that I can't remember now but will hope get posted anyway, to job my memory. :)

You may want to contact those people directly. To jog your memory, you can consult the spreadsheet.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #227 - September 15th, 2012, 8:59 am
    Post #227 - September 15th, 2012, 8:59 am Post #227 - September 15th, 2012, 8:59 am
    I thought I'd let the Spice House people that I put one of their gift spices to good use. I heard of a new way (for me anyway) to make apple butter. Just peel, core and quarter apples and throw them in a crock pot for 9 hours. I took the Spice House sugar blend and dumped half the bottle in at the start. It smelled and tasted mighty delicious the next morning! Thanks Spice House!
  • Post #228 - September 15th, 2012, 6:05 pm
    Post #228 - September 15th, 2012, 6:05 pm Post #228 - September 15th, 2012, 6:05 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:So far, of the recipes I was hoping for, I still haven't seen posts for Greek potatoes, lacy cookies, dukkah, lamb paté, and at least five other things that I can't remember now but will hope get posted anyway, to job my memory. :)

You may want to contact those people directly. To jog your memory, you can consult the spreadsheet.

Regards,

Thanks, C2. And speaking of jogging my memory -- the first item on the spread sheet reminded me that you again brought that amazing sweet corn. Thank you. Delicious.

• Post #229 - September 15th, 2012, 7:22 pm
    Post #229 - September 15th, 2012, 7:22 pm Post #229 - September 15th, 2012, 7:22 pm
    Cynthia wrote:So far, of the recipes I was hoping for, I still haven't seen posts for Greek potatoes, lacy cookies, dukkah, lamb paté, and at least five other things that I can't remember now but will hope get posted anyway, to jog my memory. :)

it's possible that not everybody's going to want to share their recipe- it might be easier to not respond, rather than post and have to come right out and say no.
  • Post #230 - September 15th, 2012, 8:02 pm
    Post #230 - September 15th, 2012, 8:02 pm Post #230 - September 15th, 2012, 8:02 pm
    justjoan wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:So far, of the recipes I was hoping for, I still haven't seen posts for Greek potatoes, lacy cookies, dukkah, lamb paté, and at least five other things that I can't remember now but will hope get posted anyway, to jog my memory. :)

it's possible that not everybody's going to want to share their recipe- it might be easier to not respond, rather than post and have to come right out and say no.

I realize that, but I figure that even if they don't post the recipes, they might be encouraged to know that someone liked the dish they brought. (And, too, someone might hesitate to post a recipe if they thought no one was interested.)

So it can't hurt to ask -- and it might make someone smile.

• Post #231 - September 18th, 2012, 9:57 pm
    Post #231 - September 18th, 2012, 9:57 pm Post #231 - September 18th, 2012, 9:57 pm
    Thanks friends for a fabulous day!

Have we started a recipe thread for this year's picnic?
  • Post #232 - September 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm
    Post #232 - September 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm Post #232 - September 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm
    nancy wrote:Thanks friends for a fabulous day!

Have we started a recipe thread for this year's picnic?

Yep. It's right here. :)

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more