• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 21st, 2012, 8:56 am
    Post #31 - May 21st, 2012, 8:56 am Post #31 - May 21st, 2012, 8:56 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Watts Tea Room?
    House of Corned Beef?
    A Soul Food Restaurant?
    European Homemade Sausage? (Closes at 4 PM)
    Spice House and seconds table at Usinger's?

While skipping Watts for another day, you could start at European Homemade Sausage, split sandwiches at House of Corned Beef, check out a Milwaukee soul food restaurant ...

I won't be in Milwaukee any earlier than 3 pm.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - May 21st, 2012, 9:01 am
    Post #32 - May 21st, 2012, 9:01 am Post #32 - May 21st, 2012, 9:01 am
    3:00 p.m. works for me.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #33 - May 24th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    Post #33 - May 24th, 2012, 4:26 pm Post #33 - May 24th, 2012, 4:26 pm
    I might not be able to make a 3:PM take off, but I will be up at Henning's Cheese the week before.
    Should I bring in a # of the 2012 world championship colby for folks to sample?

Jon M.
  • Post #34 - May 24th, 2012, 4:30 pm
    Post #34 - May 24th, 2012, 4:30 pm Post #34 - May 24th, 2012, 4:30 pm
    exvaxman wrote:I might not be able to make a 3:PM take off, but I will be up at Henning's Cheese the week before.
    Should I bring in a # of the 2012 world championship colby for folks to sample?

Jon M.

Sounds terrific. Even if nobody else comes, Dick and I will love it.
  • Post #35 - May 24th, 2012, 5:12 pm
    Post #35 - May 24th, 2012, 5:12 pm Post #35 - May 24th, 2012, 5:12 pm
    OK, I'll bring a six of Moxie and cheap styrofoam glasses, and a lb of the 2012 colby, and depending on what they have on closeout, maybe another flavor.

If anyone wants something from Hennings to be delivered, please let me know.
    http://www.henningscheese.com/
    I'm very sorry that this place was "discovered". Every time I go in there are out of state plates in the lot. I will say that they are the friendliest place I have ever been in. There was once an insult contest going on when I went in. I joined in and lost big time when I could not reply to "May your son grow up to be a Bears fan". I was laughing too hard being a Bears fan and that the son bleeds Green & Gold. Their aged cheddar is fantastic, just expensive. The kid lives on the "two tone" cheese. He considers that and pepperoni the two main food groups.

Oh - they are by Newton Meats as well - I'll probably have to make a divot to get the kid the Cheeseburger/bacon patties and the honey ham breakfast links he wants. So if anyone wants me to add on to the order: http://www.newtonmeatsinc.com/ as well as Meisfield's http://www.miesfelds.com/ I will say that the meisfield's weiners are some of the best I have ever had. They also have some very interesting items. If going north, make them a stop.
    If you ask nicely enough, I will lower my standards and go into the Old Wisconsin outlet as well. http://www.oldwisconsin.com/ It used to be worth the gas for me to go there before cookouts. Now not so much. However, I just picked up two 2# packages of "meat sticks" for $1 each since they were "overly greasy". (put into microwave for 30 secs to drive out the grease and wipe down). In the past I have picked up 5# packages of pepperoni for $1 (limit three) but those days seem to have ended.

Jon M
  • Post #36 - May 27th, 2012, 2:16 pm
    Post #36 - May 27th, 2012, 2:16 pm Post #36 - May 27th, 2012, 2:16 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:That's Mr. Pie's birthday, so I'm pretty sure I won't be going. But put me down for a tentative yes anyway, in case he has plans to celebrate another day.

That's Mr. Ingie's birthday as well. I'm supposed to go to a graduation party that day for my daughter's boyfriend, but I'd rather do this instead. I'll check back in after checking with the hubster. We may be further north in Wisconsin that day.
    Ms. Ingie
    Life is too short, why skip dessert?
  • Post #37 - May 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm
    Post #37 - May 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm Post #37 - May 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm
    LAZ;

should we set up a second date where some of the folks that want to show up are going to miss this time might be there for the next?
    Also - depending on the date i can do a trip "up nordt" or another north side of Milwaukee tour.

Jon M.
  • Post #38 - May 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm
    Post #38 - May 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm Post #38 - May 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm
    I am getting the sense that there is not much demand for a halfday Thon. I will keep Ono on my radar for when I happen to be in Milwaukee.
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #39 - May 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm
    Post #39 - May 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm Post #39 - May 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm
    exvaxman wrote:LAZ;

should we set up a second date where some of the folks that want to show up are going to miss this time might be there for the next?
    Also - depending on the date i can do a trip "up nordt" or another north side of Milwaukee tour.

Jon M.

I'm certainly interested in more. My thought was to discuss in June with whoever shows up wherever we might want to go next and when.

But anybody can do anything. If you want to lead a tour around Milwaukee and points north, pick a date and time that's good for you, post it on this board and see who bites.
  • Post #40 - June 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm
    Post #40 - June 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm Post #40 - June 1st, 2012, 5:23 pm
    I have to take back my delivering food from the places up north - I was volunteered by my kid for catering an end of year school party and did the run to get everything today. However, I did stop by Hennings and have several things for folks to enjoy on the 9th.

Looks like the end of July is the first time I can do an "up nordt" trip, however local trips can be done if someone wants to ask. Please let me know directly.
  • Post #41 - June 5th, 2012, 9:11 am
    Post #41 - June 5th, 2012, 9:11 am Post #41 - June 5th, 2012, 9:11 am
    Just thought I'd mention that there's a GreekFest nearby on the same day.
  • Post #42 - June 7th, 2012, 12:32 am
    Post #42 - June 7th, 2012, 12:32 am Post #42 - June 7th, 2012, 12:32 am
    Well, it looks as if this will be an even more intimate supper than I envisioned, but I'm looking forward to introducing Cathy2 and exvaxman.

There is still space for a few more, though.
  • Post #43 - June 7th, 2012, 9:08 am
    Post #43 - June 7th, 2012, 9:08 am Post #43 - June 7th, 2012, 9:08 am
    GAF wrote:I am getting the sense that there is not much demand for a halfday Thon. I will keep Ono on my radar for when I happen to be in Milwaukee.

HI,

I guess I don;t have race up there by 3:00 PM.

I am looking forward to dinner on Saturday.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #44 - June 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm
    Post #44 - June 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm Post #44 - June 8th, 2012, 4:50 pm
    Please put me down for Glennpan plus 2. I have been craving Poke for a while, so looking forward to this.

GAF, sure we can't talk you into joining us? Andrea was hoping to say hi.
  • Post #45 - June 9th, 2012, 7:35 am
    Post #45 - June 9th, 2012, 7:35 am Post #45 - June 9th, 2012, 7:35 am
    Mom1 will be attending with me.

We will come up early enough to get some sausages at the very least. For some reason, I thought Father's Day is this weekend. It's not. I plan to load up on one of my Dad's favorite foods: hot dogs or as the Usinger's prefer to state: frankfurters.

exvaxman - let me know where you buy your frankfurters. Preference is natural casing ...

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #46 - June 9th, 2012, 9:34 am
    Post #46 - June 9th, 2012, 9:34 am Post #46 - June 9th, 2012, 9:34 am
    Cathy2 wrote:let me know where you buy your frankfurters. Preference is natural casing ...

Cathy,

If you've never tried them, I'd suggest heading up to Sheboygan and getting some hot dogs from Miesfeld's. As much as I love Vienna's, the one's from Miesfeld's hold a special place for me. They've got a great snap and almost a sweetness to the sausage. Miesfeld's closes early on Saturdays (and are closed Sundays), so it's a trip you'll probably have to make another time, but you should put it high on your list.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #47 - June 9th, 2012, 10:44 am
    Post #47 - June 9th, 2012, 10:44 am Post #47 - June 9th, 2012, 10:44 am
    What Steve said - Meisfield's. One of the places I would do on the "up nordt" tour.They have a great natural casing
    Let me see if I have one of the (*cough cough*) Allen Borther's expensive minidog packages left and what is in the freezer - I'll bring some along so you can sample at home.

Otherwise, the closest place that sells Meisfield's that is local to Milwaukee is the Pig at the corner of Mequon and Green Bay Ave.
    In back by the end of the produce.

Also - hit the Klemet's outlet (not sure of weekend hours) on the south side.
  • Post #48 - June 9th, 2012, 10:51 am
    Post #48 - June 9th, 2012, 10:51 am Post #48 - June 9th, 2012, 10:51 am
    Piggly Wiggly Mequon
    6111 W Mequon Rd Mequon, WI

If you go south on Cedarburg Rd (Green Bay Rd) you will go past Taylor & Dunns on the left. IMHO the best friday fish fry and the best wings in town according to the teenager. Of course he is sort of in favor of them since the kind he gets there (Panther) has the same name as one of our two cats.

The Hibatchi Buffet at the same address as the Pig is above average for the area and a staple for the teenager (all you can eat).

I'm stuck in the middle of a project, otherwise I would have run down there for some Meisfields for you.

But like I said - lemme see what is in the fridge/freezer. Any interest in some of Newton's bacon cheeseburgers? Those I know I have in the freezer.
  • Post #49 - June 9th, 2012, 12:34 pm
    Post #49 - June 9th, 2012, 12:34 pm Post #49 - June 9th, 2012, 12:34 pm
    Hi,

It appears Klement's Outlet store is Mon-Friday.

I will stop at the Pig.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #50 - June 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm
    Post #50 - June 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm Post #50 - June 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm
    Well, my life in general :)
    My wife had just put into the laundry all of my pants
    And we were hit with a power failure.
    I plan on being there, but depending on
    What time we get power back i may be in swim trunks if i can find them.

Cathy, i'll still bring in some dogs/burgers
    For you to decide on

Posting from the iphone- sorry for typoes, etc.
  • Post #51 - June 9th, 2012, 12:50 pm
    Post #51 - June 9th, 2012, 12:50 pm Post #51 - June 9th, 2012, 12:50 pm
    Oh going north on green bay from the pig you will
    See the all you can ear fish fry place that made the news
    With the protest.
  • Post #52 - June 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Post #52 - June 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm Post #52 - June 9th, 2012, 9:48 pm
    Hi,

What a whirlwind trip!

Since I already bought a lot of hot dog buns thinking this was Father's Day weekend, I used this visit to Milwaukee to stock up in hot dogs, frankfurters and wieners.

First stop was European Homemade Sausage arriving just four minutes before they closed. I bought a pound of wieners and jar of hot horseradish.

I went to Usingers steeled to buy only frankfurters. I went a little crazy:
    - One pound of frankfurters
    - A remnant of olive loaf
    - Three packages of German hard salami
    - Liver sausage
    - A three-plus pan slab of bacon
    - Pepper bacon odd bits

At LAZ's recommendation, I went to Bunzel's meat market for more wieners and a piece of homemade jerky. Repeating a theme established earlier, I arrived four minutes before closing.

I was aiming to go to Piggly Wiggly for Meisfield's hot dogs, until I realized it was going to make me late for dinner.

Just as well, because exvaxman show up with a cooler of sausage to pick from. I now have some Cheeseburger/bacon patties, Allen Brother's wieners and natural casing wieners from Newton Meats (I think).

We now have far more hot dogs, frankfurters and wieners than buns. It will be Father's Day all week around here.

exvaxman is as generous and lively as his posts suggest. He is full of stories, which are pretty interesting. It was nice to see once more glennpann, his wife and son, who really was well behaved. Of course, thanks to LAZ and her husband for dreaming this up. We now need to do fish fry dinner sometime soon.

I'll get to dinner later. I will admit my plans for a soft custard were dashed by the wonderful dessert. I made no effort to visit Woodman's, because I could not think to buy another hot dog.

Gas at Ryan Road was $3.55/gal this evening.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #53 - June 10th, 2012, 9:52 am
    Post #53 - June 10th, 2012, 9:52 am Post #53 - June 10th, 2012, 9:52 am
    Cathy - please let us all know what the final results from the hog dog taste test are :)
  • Post #54 - June 10th, 2012, 10:52 am
    Post #54 - June 10th, 2012, 10:52 am Post #54 - June 10th, 2012, 10:52 am
    Thanks to everyone for coming. It was a fun dinner and a delicious meal. I had the huli huli chicken extolled by Pigmon, and it's indeed a terrific dish: mango-glazed, smoky and tender.
  • Post #55 - June 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm
    Post #55 - June 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm Post #55 - June 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm
    Guys, I can do a three passenger trip in my car. I will be more than happy to arrange a "Up Nordt" trip anytime someone wants to do an expedition. While there are good places to visit in Sheboygan, we will be skipping the "Old Wisconsin" outlet since the prices are nothing close to what they used to be. It used to be worth my while to go there for cookouts/scouts/etc. Now they are more close to prices you can get anywhere.
  • Post #56 - June 21st, 2012, 1:00 pm
    Post #56 - June 21st, 2012, 1:00 pm Post #56 - June 21st, 2012, 1:00 pm
    Clock Shadow Creamery is now open, and Purple Door ice cream is next door, which is not far from Woodman's...how about that Milwaukee/Up Nordt-a-thon? Any interest?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #57 - June 21st, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Post #57 - June 21st, 2012, 3:13 pm Post #57 - June 21st, 2012, 3:13 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Clock Shadow Creamery is now open, and Purple Door ice cream is next door, which is not far from Woodman's...how about that Milwaukee/Up Nordt-a-thon? Any interest?

There is an ongoing backdoor discussion with exvaxman on this. It would be further north than Woodman's, like up to Sheboygan.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more