LTH Home

LTHNLG = China Chef = 11/30 = 11:30am

LTHNLG = China Chef = 11/30 = 11:30am
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 30th, 2023, 7:41 pm
    Post #31 - November 30th, 2023, 7:41 pm Post #31 - November 30th, 2023, 7:41 pm
    Both Yingzhe and Liangying really enjoyed the lunch and the company. My only regret was that by ordering individually rather than collectively we did not get to share some other classic Jewish-American-Chinese dishes, such as Chop Suey or Egg Foo Yung. Thank you for making them welcome. Liang commented that the egg rolls, which I thought would be a surprise, given the addition of peanut butter, tasted rather like those in Beijing, aside from their size (much larger than Chinese eggrolls).
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #32 - December 1st, 2023, 8:29 am
    Post #32 - December 1st, 2023, 8:29 am Post #32 - December 1st, 2023, 8:29 am
    I did speak briefly with the Chinese students as they were getting into Gary's car, and I think they liked it overall. They said China Chef's egg rolls were thicker and tasted very good. Thanks, Gary, for inviting them--it was a fun lunch.

I took some carry-out home, beef tomato green pepper and pancit shrimp, along with Chinese pancake and hot & sour soup. Quality overall was good, but is it my imagination that the entrees are even blander than before? Yes, Eldon ordered his beef/stringbeans spicy, Joel ordered his yu hsiang extra spicy (big surprise! :D ), and CC's answer was to add some whole cayenne peppers.

Maybe they're just catering even more to the geriatric crowd, but I remember traditional American/Jewish/Cantonese fare growing up as being absolutely full of flavor. Now...that may have been in the form of a boatload of MSG, but it got the job done. I remember when delivering at Ah Fong/Skokie waiting for an order and watching Jimmy the chef add copious amounts of MSG, then corn starch in water.

All in all, another great luncheon with good folks!
  • Post #33 - December 1st, 2023, 9:26 am
    Post #33 - December 1st, 2023, 9:26 am Post #33 - December 1st, 2023, 9:26 am
    Good company, fun meal. Don't know about less flavor -- the chili oil wasn't very hot, but my black pepper chicken was nicely spicy -- not crazy spicy, but zippy and full of flavor.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #34 - December 1st, 2023, 10:37 am
    Post #34 - December 1st, 2023, 10:37 am Post #34 - December 1st, 2023, 10:37 am
    Hi,

My shrimp pancit needed salt.

It is so weird to get a noodle dish with fried rice on the same plate. I know it is a lunch special, I just did not think.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #35 - December 1st, 2023, 10:50 am
    Post #35 - December 1st, 2023, 10:50 am Post #35 - December 1st, 2023, 10:50 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

My shrimp pancit needed salt.

It is so weird to get a noodle dish with fried rice on the same plate. I know it is a lunch special, I just did not think.

Regards,
    Cathy2

It did look rather starch heavy. That said, at a Filipino restaurant I go to, dishes that have protein and pancit noodles also have rice (though white rice). So it maybe more "authentic" than one might expect.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #36 - December 1st, 2023, 11:14 am
    Post #36 - December 1st, 2023, 11:14 am Post #36 - December 1st, 2023, 11:14 am
    Hi,

Having eaten in Filipino homes, their consumption of rice far exceeds my need for rice. If it was served to me, there was half a plate of rice for starters. If I caught it fast enough, I would put back most of the rice. It was that or take it home.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - December 1st, 2023, 4:18 pm
    Post #37 - December 1st, 2023, 4:18 pm Post #37 - December 1st, 2023, 4:18 pm
    If my Yu Shan Pork was made extra spicy, the regular version would have to be like a high school cafeteria version. Mine was quite tasty, very garlicky, but hardly much in the Scoville department. I'm hopeful that's close to what is normally sent out, maybe fewer dried chiles. Their chile oil was also flavorful but not spicy.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more