LTH Home

New New American Cuisine

New New American Cuisine
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • New New American Cuisine

Post #1 - March 7th, 2023, 3:14 pm
    Post #1 - March 7th, 2023, 3:14 pm Post #1 - March 7th, 2023, 3:14 pm
    I was cooking in LA in the late 80's and saw many travesties done in the name of Cali or Fusion Cuisine w/blueberry teriyaki among the worst and Wolf's smoked salmon-crème fraîche pizza amongst the sublime.

"Writing in the LA Times in 1991, Ruth Reichl pointed to California as an epicenter of “the new” in American cooking, one that saw an emphasis on eclectic takes on regional or international ingredients."

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/new-american-fusion-language-debate "

A Cuban-Chinese place off 2nd Ave on the lower east side circa 77 was the first I'd tried and incorporated fusion into my own food early on as I love travel and exotic and cook my experiences as much as my ethnicity. I get that some mash ups are funny or work, but by in large I prefer more traditional.

There was no cream cheese or jalapenos @ the izakaya I worked @ in Japan but can also vouch for pastrami egg rolls. Just wondering how everyone else feels?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #2 - March 7th, 2023, 8:24 pm
    Post #2 - March 7th, 2023, 8:24 pm Post #2 - March 7th, 2023, 8:24 pm
    Like anything else, there's good and bad. Korean tacos, Indian tacos, sure (what can't you taco?).

Fusion can be good, but it requires intent. Combo places almost always suck though. Thai places that serve sushi are #1 on my avoid list.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more