LTH Home

World Central Kitchen - Jose Andres cooking in crises

World Central Kitchen - Jose Andres cooking in crises
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • World Central Kitchen - Jose Andres cooking in crises

Post #1 - April 17th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    Post #1 - April 17th, 2022, 12:41 pm Post #1 - April 17th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    Brutal news today . . .

deadline.com wrote:Russian missiles raining down on central Kharkiv, Ukraine yesterday killed two people and injured 18. Among the latter group were workers at celebrity chef José Andrés’ World Central Kitchen, a charitable effort which has fanned out across the country to feed those effected by the war there.

WCK CEO Nate Mook announced the terrible news on Twitter writing, “An update I hoped I’d never have to make. I’m at a @WCKitchen restaurant in Kharkiv, where less than 24 hours ago I was meeting with their amazing team. Today, a missile stuck. 4 staff were wounded. This is the reality here—cooking is a heroic act of bravery.”

Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, has been hammered by Russian shelling all week with dozens killed, including at least three children.
    Amid the destruction, Andrés himself posted an update on the WCK staff: “To everyone caring and sending good wishes to the team in Kharkiv, thank you, the injured are fine, and everyone is ready and willing to start cooking in another location.”

He ended with, “Many ways to fight, we do it with food!”

Celebrity Chef José Andrés’ Non-Profit World Central Kitchen Destroyed By Russian Missile, Workers Wounded

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - May 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Post #2 - May 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm Post #2 - May 2nd, 2022, 5:52 pm
    I wanted to share some exciting news for my husband and me. We are volunteering at the World Central Kitchen in Przemysl, Poland from May 16 to the 23.
    When the war in Ukraine broke out, we wanted to do something, but we didn't know what to do. We contacted the Polish embassy in Chicago, but they suggested some volunteer opportunities in Poland at hospitals and clinics, but since we don't speak the language we thought we wouldn't be helpful at all.
    I have followed World Central Kitchen founded by Jose Andres for a long time and thought that might be our opportunity. It took a few weeks and lots of emails back and forth and then volunteer slots opened up for May.
    We are excited and nervous to help the people of Ukraine. Our hearts have been broken watching the news and hopefully we can help.
  • Post #3 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:00 pm
    Post #3 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:00 pm Post #3 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:00 pm
    Diane wrote:I wanted to share some exciting news for my husband and me. We are volunteering at the World Central Kitchen in Przemysl, Poland from May 16 to the 23.
    When the war in Ukraine broke out, we wanted to do something, but we didn't know what to do. We contacted the Polish embassy in Chicago, but they suggested some volunteer opportunities in Poland at hospitals and clinics, but since we don't speak the language we thought we wouldn't be helpful at all.
    I have followed World Central Kitchen founded by Jose Andres for a long time and thought that might be our opportunity. It took a few weeks and lots of emails back and forth and then volunteer slots opened up for May.
    We are excited and nervous to help the people of Ukraine. Our hearts have been broken watching the news and hopefully we can help.

That is amazing of you and your husband. I'm envious of your selflessness and your courage. Wishing you all the best while you're there.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:53 pm
    Post #4 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:53 pm Post #4 - May 2nd, 2022, 7:53 pm
    Thanks Ronnie. I'll post when we get back.
    Diane
  • Post #5 - July 8th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Post #5 - July 8th, 2022, 8:35 am Post #5 - July 8th, 2022, 8:35 am
    Hi,

I just learned World Central Kitchen has set up shop in Highland Park, though I do not have the details.

I have seen Salvation Army, Red Cross, Billy Graham Rapid Response Team, Wood crosses at Laurel and Green Bay with people handing out bibles. Media? Lots and lots.

One gas station has so many media trucks parked, that may be producing more income than pumping gas.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - July 8th, 2022, 9:10 am
    Post #6 - July 8th, 2022, 9:10 am Post #6 - July 8th, 2022, 9:10 am
    Why do they think Highland Park has lots of people that can't access food? There are lots of neighborhoods in Chicago that need the food worse than Highland Park. I could understand if it was a tornado, and people did not have power, but it is not. Maybe they are just feeding the media people?

This book discussion I am a member of that is sponsored by the Evanston Public Library and is zoomed, was suppose to meet Tuesday evening, but the leader of the discussion is a good friend of the daughter of one of the persons that died, and she decided to cancel it.

Has anybody ever eaten at the father's deli in Highland Park? I assume it is closed now.
  • Post #7 - July 8th, 2022, 9:15 am
    Post #7 - July 8th, 2022, 9:15 am Post #7 - July 8th, 2022, 9:15 am
    Nancy, the food from WCK is for the first responders and volunteers that are working at the crime scene. As a volunteer for the HP Community Emergency Response Team, I was a recipient of one of their tasty sandwiches on Tuesday.

BTW - the deli that was owned by his father has been closed for a couple of years. The building was recently torn down.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #8 - July 8th, 2022, 9:19 am
    Post #8 - July 8th, 2022, 9:19 am Post #8 - July 8th, 2022, 9:19 am
    Hi,

The father managed/operated a White Hen convenience store in Ravinia. He lost the franchise at the same time a number of other White Hen locations shuttered.

He then opened a parallel type business across from Braeside train station for a few years.

I never went to White Hen (WH) and once to the Braeside location. I don't think the new location had the same vibe with the kids as WH in Ravinia. What do I know, I never really followed this operation.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #9 - July 8th, 2022, 12:23 pm
    Post #9 - July 8th, 2022, 12:23 pm Post #9 - July 8th, 2022, 12:23 pm
    Hi,

Until food runs out or until 3 PM, there are 300 Mexican meals at the Highland Park Public Library for the taking.

It was intended for somewhere else and redirected here.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #10 - July 10th, 2022, 8:55 am
    Post #10 - July 10th, 2022, 8:55 am Post #10 - July 10th, 2022, 8:55 am
    NFriday wrote:Why do they think Highland Park has lots of people that can't access food? There are lots of neighborhoods in Chicago that need the food worse than Highland Park. I could understand if it was a tornado, and people did not have power, but it is not. Maybe they are just feeding the media people?

From the World Central Kitchen's facebook page. I was a volunteer in Poland making food for the Ukranian people. WCK goes wherever there is a tragedy to feed those who are helping others. It's one of the best organizations I have ever volunteered for.

Soul & Smoke is at Soul & Smoke (Evanston).

When tragedy strikes your own community, there are no words that can truly make sense, or bring comfort to the situation and those affected by it. We are devastated and horrified for the victims, the parade attendants, the Highland park community and the entire NorthShore. For those that haven’t been following us long, D’Andre and I lost our son tragically in 2020 and D’Andre lost his brother to gun violence as a teenager. We know this grief and trauma. It changes you and your world forever. We ache for all those going through it now.
    As part of the World Central Kitchen Chef Corps., D’Andre and I were the first representatives on the ground in Highland Park on Monday. It was a surreal experience; the town was eerily quiet, there was no one outside. Not even on tiny side streets. Even the gas station was closed. There are truly no words that can describe seeing tanks being driven down your childhood streets with your own eyes. I grew up in Deerfield, and went to Jewish Day School in Northbrook. I’m now raising my family in Wilmette and have my business in Evanston. The North Shore is our home.
    On Monday, our team dropped everything with no hesitation, many with their own connections to the parade, to ensure that our neighbors and first responders were fed more than granola bars during those long grueling hours. The food truck was at the fire station by 5pm that first day, and we have handed out 450 meals over the last two days.
    We are so thankful that we have the opportunity to be the helpers in times like these. We thank you so much for your support, your kind words, and offers of help. We are not taking donations but would love to direct you to WCK who sponsors so much of the work we are able to do.
    If anybody affected by the tragedy is in need of meal support or groceries please let us know and we’ll make sure they get contacted by those on the ground. We’ll keep showing up as long as we’re needed. Community is Food. Food is Love. Highland Park Strong #chefsforhighlandpark
  • Post #11 - October 22nd, 2023, 6:52 pm
    Post #11 - October 22nd, 2023, 6:52 pm Post #11 - October 22nd, 2023, 6:52 pm
    I am watching Anderson Cooper on CNN right now. Anderson has been in Tel Aviv for the last two weeks. Anderson just interviewed Jose Andres who just told him that World Central Kitchen is trying to set up kitchens in Israel and Gaza to feed thousands of people. Jose said there are a million people in Gaza that don't have access to food, and he has never dealt with trying to feed that many people. I am sure Jose would appreciate monetary donations to World Central Kitchen. At 9:00 tonight on CNN Anderson is going to have a program about the history of Hamas. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more