LTH Home

How to tell a good Asian Restaurant by Ali Wong

How to tell a good Asian Restaurant by Ali Wong
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • How to tell a good Asian Restaurant by Ali Wong

Post #1 - October 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm
    Post #1 - October 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm Post #1 - October 18th, 2019, 1:13 pm
    Excerpted from her book "Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, and Advice for Living Your Best Life"

Korean: Good: The waitresses cut your food with scissors without asking your permission
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - October 19th, 2019, 7:32 am
    Post #2 - October 19th, 2019, 7:32 am Post #2 - October 19th, 2019, 7:32 am
    I've always based a good Chinese restaurant on how good the General Tso's chicken is. As for Thai, if I get a fair amount of chicken with the pad Thai and I ask for Thai spicy and they deliver on that I'm sold on it.
  • Post #3 - October 19th, 2019, 7:34 am
    Post #3 - October 19th, 2019, 7:34 am Post #3 - October 19th, 2019, 7:34 am
    Pauly wrote:I've always based a good Chinese restaurant on how good the General Tso's chicken is. As for Thai, if I get a fair amount of chicken with the pad Thai and I ask for Thai spicy and they deliver on that I'm sold on it.

If they don’t have Botan rice candy then walk away.
  • Post #4 - October 20th, 2019, 8:55 am
    Post #4 - October 20th, 2019, 8:55 am Post #4 - October 20th, 2019, 8:55 am
    Pauly wrote:I've always based a good Chinese restaurant on how good the General Tso's chicken is.

I sure hope you are only doing this for more American Chinese places, and not actual authentic Chinese restaurants considering the dish is foreign to 99.9% of people in China.
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #5 - December 10th, 2019, 2:44 pm
    Post #5 - December 10th, 2019, 2:44 pm Post #5 - December 10th, 2019, 2:44 pm
    I will not presume to speak for the other Asian ethnicities, but I can usually judge a good Chinese joint when I see one. Is the place:

Full of Chinese people? Good.
    Full of old Chinese people? Better.
    Old Chinese people gambling, drinking, and yelling? Even better.

As for a litmus test dish, simple stir-fried greens with garlic will indicate skill in the kitchen - pea shoots (do miao), yam leaves (fan shu ye) or water spinach (kong xin cai). Are the greens tender crisp, lightly sauced with cornstarch, with a nice blast of wok hei? If so, the kitchen knows what they're doing.
  • Post #6 - December 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    Post #6 - December 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm Post #6 - December 10th, 2019, 3:31 pm
    Eating while Walking wrote
    Full of Chinese people? Good.
    Full of old Chinese people? Better.
    Old Chinese people gambling, drinking, and yelling? Even better.

Thanks for the good advice. I figured out the first rule by myself, but wasn't aware of the other two.

Even just the first rule helps a lot. Thanks to using it I was lucky enough to stumble into a Hunan restaurant on Kearny Street in San Francisco. This was back in the early 70s and I was on a business assignment in SF.

The place was a hole in the wall and I just sat down at the counter. The fellow next to me was Taiwanese and we had a nice chat while enjoying some blazing hot food.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #7 - December 10th, 2019, 5:02 pm
    Post #7 - December 10th, 2019, 5:02 pm Post #7 - December 10th, 2019, 5:02 pm
    I'd add
    Old Chinese people gambling, drinking, smoking, and yelling? Best.

(regardless of local laws)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #8 - December 10th, 2019, 5:18 pm
    Post #8 - December 10th, 2019, 5:18 pm Post #8 - December 10th, 2019, 5:18 pm
    May with her beehive at her restaurant in rural Illinois, Mattoon; Hunan Cafe'. She was back and front of house(she put her daughter through college from the profits of this enterprise after her husband died), some of the best Midwest Chinese American food ever. Even better than the restaurant situated above my favorite record shop at my university, the restaurant was China Fortune in Athens, Ohio. We traveled to Mattoon from Casey, IL to visit my partner's relatives. After a visit, eventually we arrived in a rather desolate strip mall by the train station. We always hung out with our friends running a great used book store then would go to May's place where the platonic wonton soup awaited and her possibly Dunlop approved kung pao wanted plating as May did every dish and server workforce all at once.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more