LTH Home

Post your Favorite YouTube Food Centric Channels

Post your Favorite YouTube Food Centric Channels
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 5
  • Post #31 - February 3rd, 2020, 10:08 am
    Post #31 - February 3rd, 2020, 10:08 am Post #31 - February 3rd, 2020, 10:08 am
    I enjoy "Worth It" -- in which a couple of guys pick a food form and then try it at three different price points -- cheap, medium, and outrageous -- and then judge which is most worth it at its price point. I've discovered about a hundred places that I want to eat. I think the show is worth it. Here's an episode they did on noodles. https://youtu.be/FkIQMZaBTBo
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #32 - February 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm
    Post #32 - February 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm Post #32 - February 3rd, 2020, 4:24 pm
    Independent George wrote:I've become a fan of Sous Vide Everything.

It's obvious that they love what they're doing, and that a lot of it is straight trial & error experimentation (with the results available for everyone to see).

Been a bit of a falling out at Sous Vide Everything, Guga and Maumau are still there but Ninja went off and started his own channel called Salty Tales.

Been watching a lot of Bon Appétit's YouTube channel lately, I especially like their show "Reverse Engineering" where the chef is blindfolded and presented with a dish from a celebrity chef that he can smell, taste and touch but not see then given two days to recreate the dish.

Good Mythical Morning is more of a comedy show but they do a lot of food related content such as taste tests. They recently started a new sub-channel called Mythical Kitchen where their chef does things like make over the top versions of fast food items.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #33 - March 12th, 2020, 9:55 am
    Post #33 - March 12th, 2020, 9:55 am Post #33 - March 12th, 2020, 9:55 am
    My name is Andong. Fun food centric channel, Russian living in Berlin who speaks English, German, Russian, Chinese and probably a few other languages, cooks/travels internationally. Some of the videos are him recreating well known dishes, some are his and in one he travels to a resort town in rural Russia and cooks fish tacos for his grandparents, who are impossibly charming.

Good cook, solid techniques, interesting, fun to watch.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #34 - March 12th, 2020, 10:56 am
    Post #34 - March 12th, 2020, 10:56 am Post #34 - March 12th, 2020, 10:56 am
    G Wiv wrote:My name is Andong. Fun food centric channel, Russian living in Berlin who speaks English, German, Russian, Chinese and probably a few other languages, cooks/travels internationally. Some of the videos are him recreating well known dishes, some are his and in one he travels to a resort town in rural Russia and cooks fish tacos for his grandparents, who are impossibly charming.

Nice combination of travelogue and food ideas.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #35 - March 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm
    Post #35 - March 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm Post #35 - March 13th, 2020, 4:52 pm
    Chinese Cooking Demystified is by far the most in-depth and thorough English language resource for Chinese cuisines I've come across.
  • Post #36 - March 16th, 2020, 12:08 pm
    Post #36 - March 16th, 2020, 12:08 pm Post #36 - March 16th, 2020, 12:08 pm
    G Wiv wrote:My name is Andong. Fun food centric channel, Russian living in Berlin who speaks English, German, Russian, Chinese and probably a few other languages, cooks/travels internationally. Some of the videos are him recreating well known dishes, some are his and in one he travels to a resort town in rural Russia and cooks fish tacos for his grandparents, who are impossibly charming.

Great tip, Gary. Just a fun guy to watch. He really takes the time on the research side, too. Thanks!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #37 - March 17th, 2020, 8:16 am
    Post #37 - March 17th, 2020, 8:16 am Post #37 - March 17th, 2020, 8:16 am
    Andong is definitely a lot of fun. I see Souped Up Recipes was also mentioned -- that's a great channel as well. It's a bit of a more approachable version of Chinese Cooking Demystified. Those two are my go-tos for Chinese recipes.

A few others I enjoy:

Emmy Made In Japan.
    This one is perhaps a bit less recipe-based than the others, though she does do a lot of recipe videos, including historical and what may seem to us as being odd like Haitian Dirt Cookies. Her approach is one of infectious curiosity and non-judgmental in tone. It's also fun when she tries things like cheeseburger in a can.

Glen & Friends Cooking.
    A fun cooking channel from a neighbor up north. Glen (with frequent appearances from his wife, Jules) make everything from the top-rated recipes on Youtube to historical recipes to homemade Worcestershire sauce to trying to figure out Coca-Cola and KFC recipes. Most of the food featured is typical North American comfort food, great for days like this.
  • Post #38 - March 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    Post #38 - March 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm Post #38 - March 17th, 2020, 3:05 pm
    Like everyone in America, I'm in love with the Bon Appetit youtube channel. I think Reverse Engineering has my top spot, followed by Molly's seemingly unnamed show, and then everyone's gateway of Gourmet Makes.

I've also been watching a lot of Eater's Prime Time lately.

If you are into food travel shows, especially ones focusing mostly on Asia, Strictly Dumpling is a must watch.

I watch a LOT of food programming on YouTube.
  • Post #39 - March 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
    Post #39 - March 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am Post #39 - March 23rd, 2020, 5:35 am
    200 episodes of Mind of a Chef were just uploaded to Youtube. Very cool!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... siYZnakvg7
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #40 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:49 am
    Post #40 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:49 am Post #40 - March 23rd, 2020, 7:49 am
    I want her some Andong yesterday. Very fun - thanks.
  • Post #41 - March 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am
    Post #41 - March 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am Post #41 - March 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am
    Village Cooking Channel | Farmers cooking traditional meals like 500 Egg Gravy for their entire village in Tamil Nadu--a pure joy to watch.

• Post #42 - April 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm
    Post #42 - April 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm Post #42 - April 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm
    trixie-pea wrote:Village Cooking Channel | Farmers cooking traditional meals like 500 Egg Gravy for their entire village in Tamil Nadu--a pure joy to watch

Village Cooking Channel, fun to watch, a true window into another lifestyle / culture !

Here's an odd one, Featureman. He was a Hollywood bit player, sidekick, albeit one who worked steadily, who retired to Tennessee. His channel features budget meals, some fast food and snippets of him acting, playing music etc. Focus is squarely on the budget side of things.

I don't watch him often, though he has a calm countenance. I can't decide if I watch because I'm interested in someone who cooks / views food from a different perspective or cautionary tale. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #43 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:55 am
    Post #43 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:55 am Post #43 - April 3rd, 2020, 8:55 am
    If you are looking for Indian Food channel; I recommend the VahChef channel by Sanjay Thumma.

A little background. Chef Thumma is from my city; Hyderabad, India; so I have a natural affinity for his style. :). He also had a restaurant on Devon in the oughts called Sizzle India that was one of the first places on Devon to serve Andhra Food. He started the YouTube channel and looks like he has moved back to India now.

His videos are fantastic, as all my attempts at his recipes have turned out pretty authentic tasting.

Try the Biryanis and the saalans. You won't be disappointed.
  • Post #44 - April 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am
    Post #44 - April 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am Post #44 - April 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am
    Anyone watch Li Ziqi's channel? Just read this article and am excited to watch.

The Reclusive Food Celebrity Li Ziqi Is My Quarantine Queen

Tejal Rao wrote:Like so many home cooks in quarantine, after I’ve used up the green tops of my scallions, I drop the white, hairy roots into a glass of water to regenerate, feeling pleased with my own sense of thrift and pragmatism.

But last week, after the Chinese internet star Li Ziqi posted a new cooking video to YouTube called “The Life of Garlic,” I wished I could graduate from scallions on the windowsill.
  • Post #45 - April 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm
    Post #45 - April 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm Post #45 - April 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm
    The channel that I send a lot of people to was originally called "Green Brothers Eats" but has been changed to Pro Home Cooks.

Two brothers who worked in restaurants have generated hundreds of "how to videos." What I really like about these two brothers is that they are curious and will try to make ANYTHING from scratch. What I really like the most is their series on how to cook three square meals a day on the cost of a Starbucks coffee each day in a week.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... hs-att_001

They had one video that showed them cooking an egg twenty different ways.
  • Post #46 - April 30th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    Post #46 - April 30th, 2020, 2:19 pm Post #46 - April 30th, 2020, 2:19 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:If you are looking for Indian Food channel; I recommend the VahChef channel by Sanjay Thumma.

A little background. Chef Thumma is from my city; Hyderabad, India; so I have a natural affinity for his style. :). He also had a restaurant on Devon in the oughts called Sizzle India that was one of the first places on Devon to serve Andhra Food. He started the YouTube channel and looks like he has moved back to India now.

His videos are fantastic, as all my attempts at his recipes have turned out pretty authentic tasting.

Was making dal palak, so checked Chef Thumma's video to see his take. First, the bad: some of his videos don't list amounts, so you should have some idea of what you're doing going in. But I learned quite a lot from watching him (never added fenugreek before, for example). Interestingly, some of his techniques seem Western to me (mounting with butter, not letting the spinach lose color).

Good stuff!
  • Post #47 - May 1st, 2020, 9:15 am
    Post #47 - May 1st, 2020, 9:15 am Post #47 - May 1st, 2020, 9:15 am
    cilantro wrote:Was making dal palak, so checked Chef Thumma's video to see his take. First, the bad: some of his videos don't list amounts, so you should have some idea of what you're doing going in. But I learned quite a lot from watching him (never added fenugreek before, for example). Interestingly, some of his techniques seem Western to me (mounting with butter, not letting the spinach lose color).

Good stuff!

I am glad!!! I 'pimp' him every chance I get. It seems like he is actually having fun doing the videos. Just look at his version of Toddy Chicken!

His latest videos look like he is running out of ideas, especially now during the stay at home orders in India. Plus he has been doing this for more than 10 years now! But his videos of particular dishes, especially from early in his show, are really well done.
  • Post #48 - May 1st, 2020, 9:27 am
    Post #48 - May 1st, 2020, 9:27 am Post #48 - May 1st, 2020, 9:27 am
    Indianbadger,

When did you become aware of Chef Thumma's channel?

After you highlighted it recently, I forwarded information to a friend who really liked Chef Thumma's food. Apparently, they had long conversations about various cooking aspects over the years.

However, until I highlighted your information, this friend was unaware of this youtube channel. He realized some of these segments were made while still in Chicago. He was grateful for the information and yet quite surprised.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #49 - May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
    Post #49 - May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am Post #49 - May 1st, 2020, 11:22 am
    Indianbadger wrote:Just look at his version of Toddy Chicken!

Okay, that was nuts.

"You keep playing this game until this bastard chicken is cooked and tender."
  • Post #50 - May 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm
    Post #50 - May 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm Post #50 - May 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm
    Indianbadger wrote:If you are looking for Indian Food channel; I recommend the VahChef channel by Sanjay Thumma.

I had no idea he had a Chicago connection; awesome. I have made biryani using his technique several times to great results (and, I hasten to add, enjoyed his genial contralto tone as much as his little aphorisms).
  • Post #51 - May 1st, 2020, 11:32 pm
    Post #51 - May 1st, 2020, 11:32 pm Post #51 - May 1st, 2020, 11:32 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Great tip, Gary. Just a fun guy to watch. He really takes the time on the research side, too. Thanks!

As fun (and often inspirational) as he is to watch, I'll admit that a recent Andong video, in which he chose to use both food coloring and liquid smoke, had me hovering my mouse over the unsubscribe button. A few days earlier, in another video, he used titanium dioxide in some bao he was making -- for purely aesthetic reasons. I think he's slipped from inquisitive cook to wannabe scientist. :shock:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #52 - May 4th, 2020, 9:13 am
    Post #52 - May 4th, 2020, 9:13 am Post #52 - May 4th, 2020, 9:13 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Indianbadger,

When did you become aware of Chef Thumma's channel?

After you highlighted it recently, I forwarded information to a friend who really liked Chef Thumma's food. Apparently, they had long conversations about various cooking aspects over the years.

However, until I highlighted your information, this friend was unaware of this youtube channel. He realized some of these segments were made while still in Chicago. He was grateful for the information and yet quite surprised.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Hi Cathy,

It was about 6 years ago. I was searching for a Hyderabadi Biryani recipe on Youtube because most of them were not looking authentic; and I stumbled upon this channel. Needless to say, I was supremely stoked to discover it. I remember him from his restaurant and talked to him quite a bit. He went to the Cooking School where I had friends graduate from and was next door to my University.

I was pretty bummed when he closed the restaurant. But it looks like he wanted to start a channel on Youtube and when it got popular enough to be monetized; he moved back to India.

I am glad your friend has found this. Tell him to look for recipes from earlier. As his videos have gotten more 'experimental' as time has gone on. There's only so many videos you can do of Biryani's! :) And yes, his early videos have a Chicago Skyline intro; indicating he started it when he was still living in our fair city. Our loss has been YouTube's gain.
  • Post #53 - May 4th, 2020, 9:16 am
    Post #53 - May 4th, 2020, 9:16 am Post #53 - May 4th, 2020, 9:16 am
    cilantro wrote:Okay, that was nuts.

"You keep playing this game until this bastard chicken is cooked and tender."

Reminded me of those old videos of Julia Child drinking more wine than adding to the dish of Bouef Bourgignon she was making.
  • Post #54 - May 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm
    Post #54 - May 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm Post #54 - May 4th, 2020, 2:59 pm
    A lot of negativity to J. Kenji Alt on the boards of late.

I happen to be a big fan. He has had a Youtube cooking channel for a year or 2. Of late, he is posting every day with things that he is cooking that day at home and sometimes at his restaurant where they are cooking meals to give to the poor.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqJQ_ ... IAVfIfKkVA
  • Post #55 - May 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm
    Post #55 - May 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm Post #55 - May 4th, 2020, 8:55 pm
    Late Night Funnyun Tortilla Española
    Kenji: “This is not particularly good.”

I still want to make this. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #56 - May 5th, 2020, 6:46 am
    Post #56 - May 5th, 2020, 6:46 am Post #56 - May 5th, 2020, 6:46 am
    G Wiv wrote:Late Night Funnyun Tortilla Española
    Kenji: “This is not particularly good.”

I still want to make this. :)

What's next? Bugles Nachos?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #57 - May 5th, 2020, 7:29 am
    Post #57 - May 5th, 2020, 7:29 am Post #57 - May 5th, 2020, 7:29 am
    Things learned from watching this video:
    - How to do a cooking demo all by yourself using a gopro camera streaming to your phone
    - Keep quiet, no need to narrate anything, because you can always add it later
    - Neat trick using the lid to flip the omelette
    - He may not have liked it, but it was going to be breakfast

Amused by:
    - Opening a carton of eggs where debris of previously used eggs littered the carton
    - Dog eating whatever was provided
    - Cooking barefoot ... I try not to, because a dropped knife can do some damage.

Wants: I wish my library would reopen, because I was next on list to checkout the gopro.

I am a fan of Kenji, too, as well as ATK. I like how they provide the whys behind what we do as we cook. It can only make cooking better.

CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #58 - May 7th, 2020, 9:33 pm
    Post #58 - May 7th, 2020, 9:33 pm Post #58 - May 7th, 2020, 9:33 pm
    JoelF wrote:I still want to make this. :)
    What's next? Bugles Nachos?
    I have this semi clear memory of a Kevin Matthews bit called something like Stoner Foods that internet's memory doesn't remember. People could call in with their funniest complicated but stupid dishes. I specifically remember Bugles filled with spray cheese.
  • Post #59 - May 7th, 2020, 10:36 pm
    Post #59 - May 7th, 2020, 10:36 pm Post #59 - May 7th, 2020, 10:36 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:- Cooking barefoot ... I try not to, because a dropped knife can do some damage.

CAthy2

Or the glass jar falls out of the refrigerator on the tile floor ...
  • Post #60 - May 8th, 2020, 9:06 pm
    Post #60 - May 8th, 2020, 9:06 pm Post #60 - May 8th, 2020, 9:06 pm
    Anders Erickson teaches craft cocktails, since he can't make them for us at Ward Eight currently.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEK-Pg ... i7k7re0qGg

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more