LTH Home

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE

The Great British Baking Show - NO SPOILERS, PLEASE
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 6
  • Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 9:39 pm
    Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 9:39 pm Post #91 - June 2nd, 2018, 9:39 pm
    Season 5 of the Great British Baking Show will premiere on WTTW on June 22. This is season 5 of the PBS run, and no it has not been shown on PBS previously.
  • Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:38 pm
    Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:38 pm Post #92 - June 2nd, 2018, 10:38 pm
    NFriday wrote:Season 5 of the Great British Baking Show will premiere on WTTW on June 22. This is season 5 of the PBS run, and no it has not been shown on PBS previously.

Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood are still together, which is all that matters. I wonder how we will react to the show with Paul-only. Time will tell.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 10:05 am
    Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 10:05 am Post #93 - June 4th, 2018, 10:05 am
    Apparently PBS has the US rights for the Great British Baking Show including the new version minus Mary. There have been seven seasons of the original series with Paul and Mary, and PBS has shown four of them so far, with a fifth season coming up on 6/22. PBS is undecided as to whether they will show the other two seasons or the new version.

When the first season of the new version aired in Great Britain on channel Four, one of the hosts tweeted who was going to be the winner before the final episode aired, and apparently cause an uproar.
  • Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm
    Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm Post #94 - June 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm
    On the recommendation of my cousin, I spent the weekend binging this show on Netflix (which starts at S5, I think), and now I'm hooked. This show is what every competitive cooking show should be.

It actually makes me nostalgic for Dom's Top Chef coverage on his blog (which is actually how I discovered this forum in the first place), because I can spend all day talking about this show in the same manner. Probably more, because it's so focused on the cooking instead of the horrible melodrama that ruined Top Chef.

I also adore the Master Class spinoff, and want to spend all my time watching Mary and Paul get cheeky with each other while showing us how it's supposed to be done. The only thing that could make it better is actually getting to sample what they're cooking, but, alas, replicator technology just isn't available yet. (Looking at you, Elon Musk. Just saying...).
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 6:25 pm
    Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 6:25 pm Post #95 - June 5th, 2018, 6:25 pm
    NFriday wrote:Apparently PBS has the US rights for the Great British Baking Show including the new version minus Mary. There have been seven seasons of the original series with Paul and Mary, and PBS has shown four of them so far, with a fifth season coming up on 6/22. PBS is undecided as to whether they will show the other two seasons or the new version.

My preference is seeing the seasons in order, not skipping to the new team for sensational reasons.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 1:04 pm Post #96 - June 13th, 2018, 1:04 pm
    So I did some Googling, and it looks like the PBS seasons are actually slightly out-of-order. Season 1 on PBS is actually Series 5 on the BBC, and Season 2 is Series 4; after that they match up (Season 3-4 on PBS are Series 6-7 on the BBC). I have no idea why it's flipped like that, and it has no bearing on watching the show, but I found that strange.

Anyway, I'm spoiled on the winner for this forthcoming season (the finale actually being the first episode of the show I'd ever watched), but I nevertheless remain eager to watch anyway. I promise not spoil anyone, and I'm looking forward to the discussion.
  • Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 1:10 pm
    Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 1:10 pm Post #97 - June 13th, 2018, 1:10 pm
    No problem, George. This is a show where the journey is as great or greater than the final result.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 7:06 am
    Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 7:06 am Post #98 - June 17th, 2018, 7:06 am
    Hi- There is a Great British Baking Show marathon that started last night on WTTW Prime that is still going on. They have already made it through one season. The season they are doing now, I don't recognize any of the bakers. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #99 - June 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm
    Post #99 - June 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm Post #99 - June 20th, 2018, 5:18 pm
    I've spent the last month baking baguettes every morning, with varying (but steadily improving) success. This morning, I noticed a split down about half of the length of one loaf. I couldn't help but hear Pauls' voice in my head,

"This loaf has been oonderproooooved."
  • Post #100 - June 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm
    Post #100 - June 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm Post #100 - June 21st, 2018, 7:19 pm
    Independent George wrote:I've spent the last month baking baguettes every morning, with varying (but steadily improving) success.
    Where do you live and can I come for breakfast? :D :D :D
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #101 - June 24th, 2018, 7:35 am
    Post #101 - June 24th, 2018, 7:35 am Post #101 - June 24th, 2018, 7:35 am
    Woo hoo! I'm not spoiled for this season after all! Instead of airing series 8 (the most recent one without Mary, Mel, and Sue), we got series 3 instead (no spoilers - that's just a list of contestants). So PBS' airing of episodes goes in order of S5, S4, S6, S7, S3 because reasons. I don't care, though - I'm just happy I get to watch it.

I notice how the youngest baker every season seems to do really well and get to advance near the end even if they don't win. I think it's because anyone who manages to qualify despite being 20 (or younger) has probably got a serious talent for it. Inevitably the three finalists tend to be the most consistent bakers of the group, and that consistency tends to be the result of lots and lots of experience.

Katie wrote:Where do you live and can I come for breakfast? :D :D :D

It's shockingly not hard to make. Or, rather, it's not hard to make a decent baguette, but it takes steadily increasing practice for each increment of improvement. Start with the Food Wishes recipe, but ignore the part about snipping the loaf with shears; it's not even remotely the same, and you want to score it properly with razor blade or equivalent. The best explanation of both the technique and why you're doing it can be found here.

I will say that I didn't want to buy a baker's couche, and bought a metal baguette pan instead (which I use for proofing, to get that round shape instead of flat).
  • Post #102 - July 8th, 2018, 3:03 pm
    Post #102 - July 8th, 2018, 3:03 pm Post #102 - July 8th, 2018, 3:03 pm
    On youtube this morning, I bumped into the Great British Bake Off New Year's Special 2018:

You get to meet the new Mary Barry, a woman named Prue Leith.

The presenters were Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding. The comments they made were quite similar to Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc. However, I found Noel's appearance rather jarring, more aged rock star than you'd expect on a home ec show.

From the title of the program, I was hoping it was Paul and Prue baking their own holiday favorites. Instead, they brought four contestants from earlier seasons for a holiday dessert rematch. Only one fellow I did not recognize who indicated he was famous for dropping his finished cake.

None of these contestants were at their top form, which was evident in the final desserts. All of them were not particularly lovely.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #103 - July 14th, 2018, 10:38 am
    Post #103 - July 14th, 2018, 10:38 am Post #103 - July 14th, 2018, 10:38 am
    Episode four desserts: "That cake looks like it came from the 1970's"

Episode five pies, show stopper segment, their concept of 'American' pies.

I now want to make a Wellington ... once the weather cools down.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #104 - July 26th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    Post #104 - July 26th, 2018, 12:37 pm Post #104 - July 26th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    Because maybe we cannot get enough ...

Cathy2

• Post #105 - July 27th, 2018, 10:40 am
    Post #105 - July 27th, 2018, 10:40 am Post #105 - July 27th, 2018, 10:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Because maybe we cannot get enough ...

Thank you for this! Love them both.
  • Post #106 - August 24th, 2018, 7:35 am
    Post #106 - August 24th, 2018, 7:35 am Post #106 - August 24th, 2018, 7:35 am
    I am not big on internet slideshows, yet this one is a 'where-are-they-now' of former winners of the Great British Baking Show. From this, it appears 'our current' winner is from series three. I don't recognize the people from one or two, which may be what we have in store in the future. So fly past the first two and last two, if you want to retain your innocence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-britis ... 01175.html
    Cathy2

• Post #107 - August 24th, 2018, 7:40 am
    Post #107 - August 24th, 2018, 7:40 am Post #107 - August 24th, 2018, 7:40 am
    Without revealing any winner, the final three was an interesting mixture of baking philosophies:

- One represented those who follow Cook's Illustrated types who follow the science of cooking with optimized recipes
    - Another baker was very skilled with classic recipes and was very detailed in his execution and decorating detail
    - Last baker was more contemporary in his approach to recipe selection and construction.

The baker who won was not who I expected prior to the final episode. Every week's challenges are a horse race with expert people having bad days and others unexpectedly hitting it out of the park. This episode was certainly a nail bitter for the contestants and those of us suffering along.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #108 - August 24th, 2018, 10:16 am
    Post #108 - August 24th, 2018, 10:16 am Post #108 - August 24th, 2018, 10:16 am
    Jeez, did I miss the finale? I've got my tv programmed to record the episodes automatically but all I've got through is up to the semis.

And I have to say that, while undeniably talented, Brendan is really starting to grate on my nerves. I won't be rooting for him
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #109 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 am
    Post #109 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 am Post #109 - August 27th, 2018, 4:44 am
    For fans of the show, the good news is that according to press releases, the first of the post BBC seasons (ie, the one broadcast in the UK last fall) will appear on Netflix this coming Friday, with all episodes dropped at once.

The bad news is that Netflix has apparently signed a deal for three seasons of the show, which means probably some delay in them showing up on PBS, if they ever appear there.
  • Post #110 - August 27th, 2018, 7:12 am
    Post #110 - August 27th, 2018, 7:12 am Post #110 - August 27th, 2018, 7:12 am
    They're also supposed to be getting the BBC Season 3, the one just before PBS started airing, and still including Mary Berry.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #111 - August 27th, 2018, 7:24 am
    Post #111 - August 27th, 2018, 7:24 am Post #111 - August 27th, 2018, 7:24 am
    JoelF wrote:They're also supposed to be getting the BBC Season 3, the one just before PBS started airing, and still including Mary Berry.

Hi,

Season 3 just concluded on PBS last week. From the slideshow linked a few posts above, I don't recognize the winners from season 1, 2, 7 and 8. I probably didn't look carefully enough to hopefully have some suspense whenever I see these seasons.

Of the new people joining Paul Hollywood, the one I don't groove to is the tall male host with the black shaggy hair. Maybe I will get used to him over time.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #112 - August 27th, 2018, 8:19 am
    Post #112 - August 27th, 2018, 8:19 am Post #112 - August 27th, 2018, 8:19 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:They're also supposed to be getting the BBC Season 3, the one just before PBS started airing, and still including Mary Berry.

Hi,

Season 3 just concluded on PBS last week. From the slideshow linked a few posts above, I don't recognize the winners from season 1, 2, 7 and 8. I probably didn't look carefully enough to hopefully have some suspense whenever I see these seasons.

Of the new people joining Paul Hollywood, the one I don't groove to is the tall male host with the black shaggy hair. Maybe I will get used to him over time.

Regards,
    Cathy2

That's Noel Fielding, pretty good comedian/actor but can be somewhat of an acquired taste.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #113 - August 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm
    Post #113 - August 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm Post #113 - August 27th, 2018, 3:07 pm
    I read a news item today on Eater that the new minus Mary, Sue and Mel series is debuting on Netflix next month. So -- I'm thinking it won't be airing on PBS sooner than that. I'll be watching but I'm wary. I found season 3 (but latest to us) to be sort of odd because the chemistry seemed not as developed, since it was an earlier season. And Paul actually gave hints to the contestants early on. So -- whether he does that or not, they certainly have edited any assistance out of the final shows.

I just love how nice everyone is to each other. With the exception of one of the finalists in Season 3 (latest to us) who seemed kinda mean.
  • Post #114 - August 29th, 2018, 9:45 pm
    Post #114 - August 29th, 2018, 9:45 pm Post #114 - August 29th, 2018, 9:45 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Season 3 just concluded on PBS last week. From the slideshow linked a few posts above, I don't recognize the winners from season 1, 2, 7 and 8. I probably didn't look carefully enough to hopefully have some suspense whenever I see these seasons.

Eating my own words: I checked out the first episodes of seasons 1 and 2 to instantly recognize the contestant group.
    Cathy2

• Post #115 - September 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am
    Post #115 - September 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am Post #115 - September 23rd, 2018, 11:40 am
    Tonight in Vienna I happened across Das Grosse Backen, the German version. I found it during the showstopper phase. Seems pretty much the same. The competition is in a tent. One host, 2 judges. The judges announce star baker (who gets a special apron) and the loser. They also play some maudlin music over the announcement of the winner and loser. Aah, travel -- broadening one's horizons!
  • Post #116 - January 2nd, 2019, 4:05 am
    Post #116 - January 2nd, 2019, 4:05 am Post #116 - January 2nd, 2019, 4:05 am
    Hi- The new version of the Great British Baking Show which is minus Mary Berry, is on Netflix right now. I had access to Netflix while I was at my sister's in Michigan last week. They had two holiday editions of the Great British Baking Show on too. Both of those editions are with the current hosts. Each episode has four former winners return to compete against each other. I agree that I don't particularly care for the new male host.

Netflix also has the Fat, Salt, Acid, Heat series, which is based on the book by the same name. I saw the first episode and it was good. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #117 - May 23rd, 2019, 9:45 am
    Post #117 - May 23rd, 2019, 9:45 am Post #117 - May 23rd, 2019, 9:45 am
    Cathy2

• Post #118 - June 10th, 2019, 3:54 pm
    Post #118 - June 10th, 2019, 3:54 pm Post #118 - June 10th, 2019, 3:54 pm
    42 Terms from the ‘The Great British Baking Show,’ Explained
    Cathy2

• Post #119 - August 4th, 2019, 7:56 am
    Post #119 - August 4th, 2019, 7:56 am Post #119 - August 4th, 2019, 7:56 am
    Hi,

I follow a group who prepare recipes from the Great British Baking Show. I learned there is a difference in self-rising flours in the United States and Britain.

For American Self-Rising Flour
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp kosher salt

For British Self-Raising Flour
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tsp baking powder

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #120 - October 13th, 2019, 8:25 pm
    Post #120 - October 13th, 2019, 8:25 pm Post #120 - October 13th, 2019, 8:25 pm
    I truly have been charmed by Noel . . . and Sandi. They're great together. Noel is funny and obviously, very bright. In spite of my initial protestations, it took about 0.5 episodes before Mel and Sue faded away into little dots on my rear-view mirror. I do miss Mary, though.

I've now watched all the seasons, with the exception of the one that's currently in-progress on Netflix (what they're calling Collection 7). Once it ends, I plan to watch the entire season in rapid succession.

I do have a question about the logistics. Each episode takes place over 2 days and I've noticed (as I'm sure most everyone else has, too) that the judges, hosts and contestants all wear the exact same clothes on both days of taping. I presume this is to maintain continuity and make it easier for viewers to remember the contestants. But do they have to wear their clothes dirty on the second day or are they washed overnight? I don't know why but I'm really curious about this and I'm just wondering if anyone knows how this is handled? Some of those days in the tent are 90+F and I don't think many people would do well wearing their clothes 2 days in a row in those conditions. Throw in hot ovens and the fact that they're working with messy ingredients and it makes it even worse . . . even with aprons.

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more