LTH Home

Great Books, literature, reading

Great Books, literature, reading
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - September 10th, 2010, 9:49 am
    Post #91 - September 10th, 2010, 9:49 am Post #91 - September 10th, 2010, 9:49 am
    (edit: Re: Frank Bruni, Born Round)

^ I enjoyed this book as well, most of all his vivid and loving remembrance of his family and their meals together.

He is brave to portray just how foolish and vain he was during his search for a healthy eating lifestyle. I can relate to that, lol!
    pizza fun
  • Post #92 - September 10th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    Post #92 - September 10th, 2010, 12:34 pm Post #92 - September 10th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    At the IC (Highland Park) rummage sale, I picked up several cool hardbacks ($1) and paperbacks (50 cents), including a pristine paperback copy of Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking, a hardback of The Frugal Gourmet with signed card inside (I gave away my paperback copy years ago and have regretted it since), and a 1974 edition of Beard on Bread. Very much enjoying browsing all three. They're helping me get over my sadness at having to return A. J. Liebling's Between Meals to my brother.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #93 - March 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm
    Post #93 - March 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm Post #93 - March 30th, 2011, 2:27 pm
    Hidden Kitchens: Stories and More from NPR’s the Kitchen Sisters

I listened to this Audie winner with my husband and three grown kids on our Christmas road trip (north of Hayward WI). No one wanted me to play it, but I was driving and they all had their electronic gadgets. Suffice it to say, they all got hooked and we listened to the whole book and had great conversations as a result.

Often, the audio-version of a book is not much different or better than reading it yourself, but this one is an exception.
    Frances McDormand narrates the stories which are filled with music, sound effects and voices that capture the food, the culture and the people. My favorites were the Chili Queens of San Antonio, Wild Rice gathering in Northern Minnesota and George Foreman’s story of his childhood.

Davia Nelson, Nikki Silva and Jay Allison explore street-corner cooking, traditions and how communities come together through food. In between the vivid stories, you listen to intriguing messages from NPR’s Hidden Kitchen Hotline. Callers share anecdotes of family recipes and underground kitchens. I promise, this will enhance your next commute or road trip.
    Last edited by janeyb on April 25th, 2011, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #94 - April 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm
    Post #94 - April 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm Post #94 - April 22nd, 2011, 6:53 pm
    I'm currently making me delighted way through a volume that includes, as it notes, "two culinary classics." One might think that hyperbole until one reads the comment from M.F. K. Fisher that these are "two of the best books about cooking in the English language."

The author is Nicolas Freeling and the books are The Kitchen Book and The Cook Book.

Freeling, who spent his childhood in France, was a professional cook for many years before becoming a hugely successful writer of crime fiction. Turning back to his love of food, he produced these wonderfully warm, insightful, often humorous food memoirs.

I did a search, and Freeling didn't come up anywhere on the forum, so I thought it might be good to share this discovery.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #95 - April 25th, 2011, 10:13 am
    Post #95 - April 25th, 2011, 10:13 am Post #95 - April 25th, 2011, 10:13 am
    Cynthia wrote:I'm currently making me delighted way through a volume that includes, as it notes, "two culinary classics." One might think that hyperbole until one reads the comment from M.F. K. Fisher that these are "two of the best books about cooking in the English language."

The author is Nicolas Freeling and the books are The Kitchen Book and The Cook Book.

Freeling, who spent his childhood in France, was a professional cook for many years before becoming a hugely successful writer of crime fiction. Turning back to his love of food, he produced these wonderfully warm, insightful, often humorous food memoirs.

I did a search, and Freeling didn't come up anywhere on the forum, so I thought it might be good to share this discovery.

I love Freeling's crime fiction (especially his first series about van der Valk). He includes quite a bit about food and cooking in those. Your post makes me want to read his books about cooking as well (and maybe reread Love in Amsterdam).
  • Post #96 - February 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm
    Post #96 - February 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm Post #96 - February 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm
    Voila!
    http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18633
    At this writing, exactly 30 threads below yours in this very column.
    "Strange how potent cheap music is."
  • Post #97 - February 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm
    Post #97 - February 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm Post #97 - February 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm
    Note: I'm subscribed to Lucky Peach... but it's far from what I'd call "Literary" even though it's from the esteemed McSweeny's. It's fun, loose and vulgar, with a vibe somewhere between Wired (colored text on photographic backgrounds, scientific notes by Harold McGee) and an underground comic (each issue has doodles and stream-of-conciousness rants by a group of chefs).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #98 - March 1st, 2012, 12:32 am
    Post #98 - March 1st, 2012, 12:32 am Post #98 - March 1st, 2012, 12:32 am
    Did anyone out there read Gabrielle Hamilton's "Blood, Bones and Butter"? (I thought it started out wonderfully, bogged down a bit towards the end, but ultimately left me thoughtful and appreciative of her prose.) Or Richard Wrangham's "Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human"? (OK, I know, that's not exactly literature, but much of this book was done with a storyteller's voice.)
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #99 - March 1st, 2012, 8:29 am
    Post #99 - March 1st, 2012, 8:29 am Post #99 - March 1st, 2012, 8:29 am
    I read Hamilton's book about a year ago and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in what it's like to be a chef. I agree it's very well written. She comes across not entirely favorably, I guess her honestly is commendable and a bit unusual to find in a memoir.
  • Post #100 - March 1st, 2012, 8:02 pm
    Post #100 - March 1st, 2012, 8:02 pm Post #100 - March 1st, 2012, 8:02 pm
    I agree; it's a really nicely written book that makes an engrossing read. One of my wife's and my favorite books from last year.
    pizza fun
  • Post #101 - September 1st, 2012, 5:47 pm
    Post #101 - September 1st, 2012, 5:47 pm Post #101 - September 1st, 2012, 5:47 pm
    Mods, feel free to move. I searched and couldn't find a link to the right thread.

For Leah and others so inclined:

Sci Fi author Norman Spinrad offers his take on how to cook:

http://cooklikeahumannormanspinrad.blog ... jules.html
  • Post #102 - September 10th, 2012, 10:38 am
    Post #102 - September 10th, 2012, 10:38 am Post #102 - September 10th, 2012, 10:38 am
    “EVERY CULTURE IS PASSIONATE ABOUT FOOD; SOME ARE JUST PASSIONATE ABOUT FOOD AND THE FOOD IS SHITTY.”

http://www.believermag.com/issues/201209/?read=interview_gold
  • Post #103 - September 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm
    Post #103 - September 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm Post #103 - September 10th, 2012, 2:44 pm
    Heh, that interview in the Believer brought to mind Anton Ego from Ratatouille.

I'm currently waiting in line for the library's copy of Marcus Samuelsson's "Yes, Chef." Anyone out there have anything (not too spoilerish) to say about it?
    “Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas

"I give you Chicago. It is no London and Harvard. It is not Paris and buttermilk. It is American in every chitling and sparerib. It is alive from tail to snout." -- H.L. Mencken
  • Post #104 - September 11th, 2012, 12:26 pm
    Post #104 - September 11th, 2012, 12:26 pm Post #104 - September 11th, 2012, 12:26 pm
    I am enjoying Yes Chef. I am only half-way through and it is due back at the library. I plan to finish reading it quickly and pay the fine. It is a great chef story. I don't think I will ruin anything by mentioning that at age three, Marcus Samuelsson walked with his Mom and sister 75 miles while suffering from tuberculosis. His Mom dies and he and his sister are adopted by a Swedish couple. This situation sets the stage for the rest of the story. Samuelsson's style is quiet. But he does a great job writing about family, race and of course -food. His story is incredible and I am having fun reading about how he makes his dreams reality.
    I read Blood Bones & Butter recently and Gabrielle Hamilton's story is more raucous. The two chef's have different story-telling styles, but I would recommend both.
  • Post #105 - January 14th, 2014, 2:09 pm
    Post #105 - January 14th, 2014, 2:09 pm Post #105 - January 14th, 2014, 2:09 pm
    Too bad this book isn't scratch and sniff. After reading Michael Pollan's Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation, I wanted to be able to smell the fragrances he describes, especially in the baking and braising sections.

The book is divided into four elements, fire water air and earth. As he deals with each element, he tries to master one recipe. For example, he works with a pit master and learns to grill with fire. Though I don't plan on slow-roasting a whole hog or making cheese any time soon, I am encouraged to be more courageous in the kitchen. Pollan makes self-sufficiency so appealing, I found myself yearning for all the “old-fashioned” skills that are second nature to many of you such as gardening and canning.

As a kid in our family of 7, I thought Jiffy Pop, Tang, TV dinners and other shelf-stable foods were novel and fun. As an adult, I've made more of an effort to move away from processed foods and it is the homemade items that are now treats. Pollan considers the effect of not cooking and our increased reliance on processed foods. He also examines the effect of cooking on culture now and in ancient times. I suppose many wouldn't care about all the detail he shares, but I appreciated his writing, his curiosity and his efforts to improve his family's well-being. He suggests that cooking is "the most important thing an ordinary person can do to help reform the American food system, to make it healthier and more sustainable."
  • Post #106 - January 15th, 2014, 12:15 pm
    Post #106 - January 15th, 2014, 12:15 pm Post #106 - January 15th, 2014, 12:15 pm
    Thanks, janeyb! I haven't read it yet but will keep an eye out.

• Post #107 - April 2nd, 2014, 7:58 am
    Post #107 - April 2nd, 2014, 7:58 am Post #107 - April 2nd, 2014, 7:58 am
    Any excuse to remind people of Laurie Colwin's existence and writings is a good one. So if you have a chance, check out this article in today's New York Times.
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #108 - April 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm
    Post #108 - April 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm Post #108 - April 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm
    Gypsy Boy, thanks for sharing this, it provided a relaxing lunchtime read. Nice piece.
  • Post #109 - December 13th, 2014, 10:24 am
    Post #109 - December 13th, 2014, 10:24 am Post #109 - December 13th, 2014, 10:24 am
    I know that Gabrielle Hamilton's new book, Prune, is primarily a cookbook, but I've heard it's also very writerly and am looking forward to reading it soon.

I came across this interview with her (and also Dorie Greenspan promoting her new book) from WBEZ's own Chewing the Fat podcast, and while I haven't heard it all yet, I'm enjoying it enough to share with you all here.

Has anyone else gotten their hands on Prune yet? What do you think?

ETA: I'd also love to hear about any other food-related literature you've discovered over the last year... 'tis the season and I could always use a few more gift ideas!

• Post #110 - December 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    Post #110 - December 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm Post #110 - December 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm
    A friend just hooked me up with Jeanne Nolan's From the Ground Up, and I'm looking forward to diving in. It's a local author, and it's getting great reviews, so I thought some of you folks might enjoy it as well.

Any other great books on your wish list this year?

• Post #111 - December 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm
    Post #111 - December 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm Post #111 - December 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm
    I've been re-reading Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series, a starting with Jhereg, through Hawk (book 14), and the book Dzur is framed with a meal, each chapter recounting a course.

It made me wish for Next: Valabar's (the fictional restaurant)
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #112 - February 16th, 2021, 1:44 pm
    Post #112 - February 16th, 2021, 1:44 pm Post #112 - February 16th, 2021, 1:44 pm
    Hungry: Eating, Road-Tripping, and Risking It All with the Greatest Chef in the World by Jeff Gordinier

With trips cancelled, it was fun to be an armchair traveller with a food critic. Jeff Gordinier writes about the four years he traveled with René Redzepi, the renowned chef of Noma, in search of the world’s best flavors.
    Because of a recent, pre-Covid trip to Denmark, my curiosity was peaked. Though it’s not one of my favorite food books, it was just what I needed when I read. You might enjoy if you could use a little trip to Australia, Mexico or Denmark right about now. Here are a couple of my favorite paragraphs…

“There is a thing you learn about chefs when you spend time with them: Even though they may cook complex food, they revere simple food. The word “simple” is an incantation, music to their ears, and they long for anything that doesn’t seem fussed over or full of itself. For Redzepi that simplicity was expressed through a pot of beans or a place of tacos. After enduring a tasting menu in Copenhagen, David Chang would predictably head straight for a late-night dive called Kebabistan for a gooey, salty heap of shawarma. Francis Mallmann, on his island in Patagonia, relished a simple repast of Persian rice saturated with butter and crusty from a cast-iron skillet. Massimo Bottura might be spotted walking a block away from his Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy so he could refuel with prosciutto, Parmigiano-Reggiano, bread, and wine.

Tapping away on his phone, Santiago Lastra Riodriguez stayed on the lookout for a cenote-one of the wild lakes that dot the Yucatán, formed when the asteroid crashed into the peninsula and pockmarked the landscape with pone-sized pellets.
    “Redzepi wanted to visit a grand cenote, a true cenote, not one of the touristy ones. The cenote of his dreams was like the Mayan octopus of his dreams and the conchinita pibil of his dreams and the Faroe Island langoustines of his dreams and the Norwegian mahogany clams of his dreams. “If you had a machete,” he said in the van, “and you went a kilometer into the jungle, you might find one. One where you have more of that nature contact.”
  • Post #113 - April 13th, 2021, 9:48 am
    Post #113 - April 13th, 2021, 9:48 am Post #113 - April 13th, 2021, 9:48 am
    How Do You Write an Anthony Bourdain Book Without Anthony Bourdain?After the author and TV personality’s death, his longtime assistant was left to finish his last book, a world travel guide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/trav ... e=Homepage
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #114 - March 1st, 2024, 3:20 pm
    Post #114 - March 1st, 2024, 3:20 pm Post #114 - March 1st, 2024, 3:20 pm
    Dusting off an old thread. The post about the price of bananas triggered a memory of a great read:

https://www.octaviabooks.com/book/9781250033314

Rich Cohen's great history of bananas in the U.S. (including the origins of the phrase "banana republic").

Cohen has strong Chicago area connections and went to New Trier. His father Herb Cohen wrote "You Can Negotiate Anything" and his mother's father created Sweet and Low sweetener (didn't create as much as innovated packaging and anti-clumping), which was the subject of another of his books.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more