LTH Home

Bugs for Breakfast, Bugs for Fun in Oaxaca

Bugs for Breakfast, Bugs for Fun in Oaxaca
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bugs for Breakfast, Bugs for Fun in Oaxaca

- June 20th, 2012, 8:40 pm
    - June 20th, 2012, 8:40 pm Post #1 - June 20th, 2012, 8:40 pm
    In a few decades we'll be coming up on 500 years since Bernardino de Sahagun reported to Europe on the tzicatana in his Nueva Historia, from its divine associations to its swarm ethology (mirroring the movements of the Aztecan armies) to its apparent deliciousness to the Nahuan-speaking people in the region. I can't find the corresponding illustrated page in the Florentine Codex freely accessible online, but will try to get a scan soon. You can read a brief translation of part of the section here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=S3ILAQ ... CDUQ6AEwAA

These are generally leafcutter ants (tzicatl in Nahuatl, big ant, compare with standard azcatl) - only the queen females have wings, and they only come out and swarm at certain times of year. This is a different subfamily of ants than the agave-dwellers whose eggs you might have enjoyed as escamoles elsewhere in the country. Colonial manuscripts are a specialty for me, entomophagy slightly less so, though I do like chapulines in the little local newspaper cones with lime and salt, and the wormlets at Sticky Rice are not bad.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more