LTH Home

Ferrara Pan merging with Farley's & Sathers

Ferrara Pan merging with Farley's & Sathers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Ferrara Pan merging with Farley's & Sathers

Post #1 - May 23rd, 2012, 2:40 pm
    Post #1 - May 23rd, 2012, 2:40 pm Post #1 - May 23rd, 2012, 2:40 pm
    Forest Park sweets-maker Ferrara Pan Candy Co. will merge with Minnesota-based Farley's & Sathers Candy Co., the companies announced Wednesday. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0072.story
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #2 - May 24th, 2012, 10:14 am
    Post #2 - May 24th, 2012, 10:14 am Post #2 - May 24th, 2012, 10:14 am
    Dave148 wrote:Forest Park sweets-maker Ferrara Pan Candy Co. will merge with Minnesota-based Farley's & Sathers Candy Co., the companies announced Wednesday. http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0072.story

Well, at least it looks as if the Ferraras will still be involved. One hopes they'll still be making candy here.

The combined company will be named Ferrara Candy Co. Inc., retaining the century-old Ferrara name. It will be led by Salvatore Ferrara II, chairman and CEO of Ferrara Pan....

The company declined to comment beyond the press release and did not immediately respond to questions regarding plans for the Forrest Park facility or the effect on local jobs.
  • Post #3 - May 24th, 2012, 10:53 am
    Post #3 - May 24th, 2012, 10:53 am Post #3 - May 24th, 2012, 10:53 am
    God forbid Forest Park and Oak Park (when the wind is blowing northeast) no longer smell like Atomic Fireballs and Lemon Heads (depending on the day of the week).
  • Post #4 - May 25th, 2012, 10:36 am
    Post #4 - May 25th, 2012, 10:36 am Post #4 - May 25th, 2012, 10:36 am
    My wife and I live less than a mile from Ferrara pan. Our favorite "neighborhood smells" are when they make the cherryheads or grapeheads.

Sure beats the hell out of when we lived in Canaryville and only had a rendered pork fat smell to look forward to when we got home. :lol:

Hopefully they remain in the area.
  • Post #5 - May 25th, 2012, 11:35 am
    Post #5 - May 25th, 2012, 11:35 am Post #5 - May 25th, 2012, 11:35 am
    Decades ago, I used to live about 4 blocks from FP on the top floor of a building. Much of the time, I was in the direct path of the effluent from FP's stacks. If I left my windows open on Fireball day, it was brutal. I think Cherry day was my favorite, also. Back then they called them Cherry Chans with a caricature of a Chinese man on the box complete with coolie hat and a Fu Man Chu moustache (it was totally offensive). Funny how at the time, it was still OK to stereotype Asians, but not other minorities. I certainly understand why they changed the name of that one, but why change Alexander the Grape?
  • Post #6 - May 25th, 2012, 11:56 am
    Post #6 - May 25th, 2012, 11:56 am Post #6 - May 25th, 2012, 11:56 am
    d4v3 wrote:Decades ago, I used to live about 4 blocks from FP on the top floor of a building. Much of the time, I was in the direct path of the effluent from FP's stacks. If I left my windows open on Fireball day, it was brutal. I think Cherry day was my favorite, also. Back then they called them Cherry Chans with a caricature of a Chinese man on the box complete with coolie hat and a Fu Man Chu moustache (it was totally offensive). Funny how at the time, it was still OK to stereotype Asians, but not other minorities. I certainly understand why they changed the name of that one, but why change Alexander the Grape?

I believe it was Cherry Clan, right?

You may be thinking of Charlie Chan, another stereotype played to perfection on screen by Swedish Warner Oland (the guy was versatile).
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #7 - May 25th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    Post #7 - May 25th, 2012, 12:13 pm Post #7 - May 25th, 2012, 12:13 pm
    David Hammond wrote:
    d4v3 wrote:Decades ago, I used to live about 4 blocks from FP on the top floor of a building. Much of the time, I was in the direct path of the effluent from FP's stacks. If I left my windows open on Fireball day, it was brutal. I think Cherry day was my favorite, also. Back then they called them Cherry Chans with a caricature of a Chinese man on the box complete with coolie hat and a Fu Man Chu moustache (it was totally offensive). Funny how at the time, it was still OK to stereotype Asians, but not other minorities. I certainly understand why they changed the name of that one, but why change Alexander the Grape?

You may be thinking of Charlie Chan, another stereotype played to perfection on screen by Swedish Warner Oland (the guy was versatile).

No, I am pretty sure it was Cherry Chan playing on the name Charlie Chan with a stereotyped mispronunciation of "Charlie" . I was wrong about the Coolie hat. It was Charlie Chan's bowler hat.

Here is a link to a picture of the box: http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/cherrychan.html
    gotta love the intertubes, you can find anything

Apparently Cherry Chan was replaced with Cherry Clans which was not much more PC, since they kept the Chinese connection, and this time added the coolie hats.
    http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/cherryclanbox.html
    Last edited by d4v3 on May 25th, 2012, 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #8 - May 25th, 2012, 12:16 pm
    Post #8 - May 25th, 2012, 12:16 pm Post #8 - May 25th, 2012, 12:16 pm
    d4v3 wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:

No, I am pretty sure it was Cherry Chan playing on the name Charlie Chan with a stereotyped mispronunciation of "Charlie"

Here is a link to a picture of the box: http://www.candywrappermuseum.com/cherrychan.html
    gotta love the intertubes, you can find anything

What do you know: they had both Cherry Chan AND Cherry Clan.

• Post #9 - May 25th, 2012, 12:19 pm
    Post #9 - May 25th, 2012, 12:19 pm Post #9 - May 25th, 2012, 12:19 pm
    Yeah I just discovered that and edited my previous post. Funny they changed it to Cherry Clans, which uses even more offensive imagery, but made no sense from a "pun" perpective. Image
    According to the site (which is fantastic BTW), it was not the racist overtones that made them change the name, but a cease and desist order from Warner Oland's family.

BTW notice the package lost 5 grams in the transition?
  • Post #10 - May 25th, 2012, 12:31 pm
    Post #10 - May 25th, 2012, 12:31 pm Post #10 - May 25th, 2012, 12:31 pm
    Dave, I checked out your first link and scratched my head at " check out this amazing box of Candy Crafters' "Coolies" that museum guest Debby Wapner scanned for me. I don't normally post scans, but I thought this box was great. Debby says the copyright date is 1943. Definitely not a banner year for political correctness, especially when it came to Asians."

At the risk of igniting a firestorm of debate, I am not sure I see the "racist" elements in this box. I mean, "coolies" were sad members of Asian society, considered to be a little below the lowest rung on the social ladder, but representing them on a box seems innocent enough.

Writing about this, I just realized why, in the early 60s, an American Indian was pictured on a box of red pistachios. As Tosh might ask, "Is it racist?" It might be.
  • Post #11 - May 25th, 2012, 12:40 pm
    Post #11 - May 25th, 2012, 12:40 pm Post #11 - May 25th, 2012, 12:40 pm
    Hey, the Cleveland Indians still use "Chief Wahoo" as their logo. That has to be the most offensive portrayal of American Indians ever.

Just for old times sake:

I encourage everybody to check out the Candy Wrapper Museum
    A really fun site, and a great way to waste time. Great discovery.
  • Post #12 - May 25th, 2012, 12:52 pm
    Post #12 - May 25th, 2012, 12:52 pm Post #12 - May 25th, 2012, 12:52 pm
    The worst for me, growing up 3/4 mile from Ferrara Pan, was boston baked bean day. Ugh.

Favorite flavors were alexander the grape and johnny apple treats.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #13 - May 25th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    Post #13 - May 25th, 2012, 12:57 pm Post #13 - May 25th, 2012, 12:57 pm
    I actually liked (and still like) Lemonheads.

Odd anti-drug campaign in local schools during the 1990s, supported by Ferrari Pan, was something like "Don't be a Lemonhead. Don't do drugs." Seemed insane to me, associating your product with the very thing you don't want people to like.
  • Post #14 - May 25th, 2012, 1:15 pm
    Post #14 - May 25th, 2012, 1:15 pm Post #14 - May 25th, 2012, 1:15 pm
    David Hammond wrote:I actually liked (and still like) Lemonheads.

Odd anti-drug campaign in local schools during the 1990s, supported by Ferrari Pan, was something like "Don't be a Lemonhead. Don't do drugs." Seemed insane to me, associating your product with the very thing you don't want people to like.

I think FP was well aware that their candy was popular among the red-eyed crowd. The boxes were funny (in a weird way), and lemonheads were a great remedy for cotton mouth. Plus it was really cheap, and was always located right next to the rolling papers at your local gas station. On the inner flaps they started putting "say nope to dope".

Remember "Screamin Yellow Zonkers" with the really weird humor on the boxes? You had to be under the influence to "get it". If that marketing was not geared towards the munchie crowd, I don't know what was. Plus it was manufactured in Villa Park by Sandoz Pharmaceutical, the only legal manufacturer of LSD. I'l bet their focus groups were a trip.
  • Post #15 - May 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm
    Post #15 - May 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm Post #15 - May 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm
    d4v3 wrote:Remember "Screamin Yellow Zonkers" with the really weird humor on the boxes? You had to be under the influence to "get it". If that marketing was not geared towards the munchie crowd, I don't know what was. Plus it was manufactured in Villa Park by Sandoz Pharmaceutical, the only legal manufacturer of LSD. I'l bet their focus groups were a trip.

That is hilarious. SYZs (no longer produced) definitely had that rep, and that they're connected to Sandoz is close to unbelievable (I did google to confirm you weren't just fooling; it's true).
  • Post #16 - May 25th, 2012, 2:40 pm
    Post #16 - May 25th, 2012, 2:40 pm Post #16 - May 25th, 2012, 2:40 pm
    David Hammond wrote:SYZs (no longer produced) [. . .]

SYZs were discontinued several years ago but apparently are available as of May 15 for a limited time at Walgreens.
  • Post #17 - June 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm
    Post #17 - June 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm Post #17 - June 27th, 2012, 12:50 pm
    Per Candy & Snack Today.com . . .

The new Ferrara Candy Co., Inc. expects to close three Farley’s & Sathers Candy Co., Inc. operations within a year as a result of the latter’s merger with Ferrara Pan Candy Co., Inc., according to a press release from the company

Ferrara Closing Three Operations

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #18 - June 28th, 2012, 9:54 am
    Post #18 - June 28th, 2012, 9:54 am Post #18 - June 28th, 2012, 9:54 am
    David Hammond wrote:What do you know: they had both Cherry Chan AND Cherry Clan.

I thought maybe you guys were thinking of this, since we got on the subject of racist cherries:
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #19 - October 19th, 2017, 7:10 am
    Post #19 - October 19th, 2017, 7:10 am Post #19 - October 19th, 2017, 7:10 am
    Ferrara Candy to be acquired by Nutella maker Ferrero

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html
  • Post #20 - October 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm
    Post #20 - October 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm Post #20 - October 19th, 2017, 1:24 pm
    Thankfully they aren't moving the Forest Park plant (yet). On my running route - nothing like a jolt of cinnamon red hots smell coming over the bridge!
  • Post #21 - July 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm
    Post #21 - July 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm Post #21 - July 22nd, 2019, 1:13 pm
    Butterfinger gets sales boost as Chicago-born Ferrara Candy revamps former Nestle brands

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... l#nws=true
  • Post #22 - August 8th, 2019, 9:37 pm
    Post #22 - August 8th, 2019, 9:37 pm Post #22 - August 8th, 2019, 9:37 pm
    Ferrara Pan candy in Forest Park cannot close, perhaps because it is the last client of the Canadian National {nee Great Western, Baltimore & Ohio, Milwaukee Road} railroad to its facility.
    If you're a transit photographer, you have to hang out on the Harlem [Forest Park] Blue Line “L” platform to capture photographs of the factory's train service, which shall have to be contemplated when the Eisenhower Expressway is rebuilt in the next six years (The CTA's Blue Line “L”'s Forest Park branch shall also be affected.). But it is worth it.
    Where else in northeastern Illinois could a factory receive such service? So, Ferrara Pan is going to remain here for as long as possible.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #23 - September 28th, 2022, 12:35 pm
    Post #23 - September 28th, 2022, 12:35 pm Post #23 - September 28th, 2022, 12:35 pm
    foodmanufacturing.com wrote:A federal workplace safety inspection found a Chicago-area candy manufacturer’s long history of violations for machine safety requirements continues after the company exposed workers to amputation hazards and failed to utilize lockout procedures for the third time in five years at its Bellwood site.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration has issued citations to Ferrara Candy Co. for one repeat violation and four serious safety violations, with proposed penalties of $201,379, after responding to an April 4, 2022, complaint of unsafe working conditions. OSHA inspectors found workers exposed to amputation hazards because the company failed to utilize energy control procedures – such as lockout/tagout – before workers cleared jams and serviced equipment.

“Ferrara Candy Co. knows its workers can suffer debilitating injuries, such as amputations, when machines are not properly de-energized before servicing or maintaining them,” said OSHA’s Chicago North Area Director Angeline Loftus in Arlington Heights, Illinois. “Yet, company personnel continue to expose employees needlessly to these hazards. OSHA will continue to hold manufacturers accountable for using safe work practices, including lockout.”

Ferrara Candy Fined for Repeatedly Exposing Workers to Amputation Hazards

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #24 - September 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    Post #24 - September 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm Post #24 - September 19th, 2023, 3:00 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Ferrara Candy to be acquired by Nutella maker Ferrero

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Ferrero North America, part of the global sweet-packaged food company the Ferrero Group, known for Keebler®, Butterfinger®, Nutella®, Kinder®, Tic Tac®, and other well-loved brands, today celebrated the opening of its new Innovation Center and North America R&D Labs in Chicago. The new 45,000 square foot facility located in the historic Marshall Field and Company Building brings together Ferrero's R&D teams from throughout the U.S. and houses teams working on Keebler, Famous Amos, Mother's, Fannie May, and other brands in the Ferrero portfolio – a total of over 150 employees.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 32538.html
  • Post #25 - October 19th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Post #25 - October 19th, 2023, 7:25 am Post #25 - October 19th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Ferrara Candy Company has made an agreement to buy Jelly Belly Candy Company, the Chicago-headquartered company announced in a media statement.

HTTPS://WWW.CONFECTIONERYNEWS.COM/ARTIC ... DY-COMPANY
  • Post #26 - January 12th, 2024, 8:25 am
    Post #26 - January 12th, 2024, 8:25 am Post #26 - January 12th, 2024, 8:25 am
    It’s the end of an era for Fruit Stripe, the decades-old gum brand that was known for its fruit-inspired flavors and zebra-print product: The brand’s owner is discontinuing the striped treat.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/10/business ... index.html
  • Post #27 - January 13th, 2024, 7:30 am
    Post #27 - January 13th, 2024, 7:30 am Post #27 - January 13th, 2024, 7:30 am
    Drove out to the Ferrara candy outlet in Forest Park and was disappointed to find out our beloved Fireballs are no longer made.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more