What's your favorite "go-to" snack?

What's your favorite "go-to" snack?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - May 2nd, 2017, 3:02 pm
    Post #61 - May 2nd, 2017, 3:02 pm Post #61 - May 2nd, 2017, 3:02 pm
    stevez wrote:
    TomInSkokie wrote:
    My favorite solution so far is buy good-quality large red grapes and put a small schmear of Merkt's on each grape.

Try apples. It's a Midwestern classic.

I have. It's fun to try a couple of different apple varieties and see which works better. A crisp, slightly tart variety plays off the fattiness of the cheese nicely.
    How about a "Chicago Mix" apple? Slices of caramel apple with schmears of Merkt. Has a nice over-the-top feel to it. . . .
  • Post #62 - May 25th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #62 - May 25th, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #62 - May 25th, 2017, 12:37 pm
    i know this will sound really weird, but it is a perfect combination of soft/creamy and crunchy/salty: put half an avocado in one palm (pitted, please) and a forkful of sauerkraut in the other hand. take a bite of the avocado and a forkful of sauerkraut together; chew, sigh with pleasure, repeat. an awesome snack.
  • Post #63 - May 17th, 2024, 5:43 pm
    Post #63 - May 17th, 2024, 5:43 pm Post #63 - May 17th, 2024, 5:43 pm
    LAZ wrote:
    sdbond wrote:
    AlekH wrote:I'm not much of a snacker but I do enjoy settling down on the couch with some aged cheddar, pretzels and a link of kabanos.

Well, I just learned something -- had to look up kabanos! They sound tasty. Will have to look for some next time I'm at Fresh Farms in Niles.

Every Polish deli in town has kabanos. I like the ones made by the Shop & Save stores.

I buy Kabanos at Shop and Save. I try to avoid the very dry ones because they can be just too hard. I ask the meat service guy to bend them to demonstrate they are not rock hard. Thin or thick these sausages are greatly appreciated by my Dad and I.

I lost track of a Kabanos who dried to rock hard in the refrigerator. I heard my Dad wrestle with something on a cutting board without much success, it was the Kabanos. He handed me a piece, which I snapped in half to his surprise. It still was not especially softer to eat.

I did a search, where someone recommended to dampen the sausage, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave. Started at 20 seconds on high, it was enough to warm (the fat?) and soften. I use the short cooks for stuff like cheese, so I have come to appreciate short processing times.

And now the Kabanos has come to its final resting space in our tummies.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more