LTH Home

Best Halloween Candy

Best Halloween Candy
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:37 am
    Post #31 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:37 am Post #31 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:37 am
    Another new dark choc bar from the big companies: Three Musketeers Mint.
    Not bad, sort of a mutant cross between a Peppermint Patty and a Three Musketeers. Could use more chocolate and more mint, but I was also eating the tiny square size (about 1.3x a standard Kraft caramel), so it may be more intense in a bigger bite.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #32 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 am
    Post #32 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 am Post #32 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 am
    Sparky got one...unfortunately, he catalogued and counted his candy and I know from unfortunate experience that there is no way to take candy from that babe...

I also accidentally bought even more vile candy: Reese's Snacksters (really, it's no wonder one of our pumpkins got smashed) I grabbed something with Halloween packaging and didn't read the fine print: 100 calories per bag with Multigrain cereal...cereal puffs, peanut butter chips, cereal squares and Reese's pieces. And they tasted just like you'd imagine.

I'm also annoyed that the 100 calorie per bag packaging costs about twice as much as the "fun size," which are usually near enough to 100 calories as to not matter - for instance, regular M&Ms fun size contain 108 calories - what's that, a difference of 1 M&M? Reese's Pieces are actually less than 100 calories per pack.
  • Post #33 - November 3rd, 2008, 3:02 pm
    Post #33 - November 3rd, 2008, 3:02 pm Post #33 - November 3rd, 2008, 3:02 pm
    seebee wrote:I tire of the standard us chocolate bars quickly. Too sweet for me. My all time favorite thing to find in my bag?

Dots.

Dots would rarely last until Nov 1st. To this day, I am not aware of a time in recent past when a theater sized box of dots lasted more than a few hours. Oh, and if they are fresh? That theater sized box lasts mere minutes.

How about the tropical fruit Dots?

Definitely,
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #34 - November 3rd, 2008, 6:53 pm
    Post #34 - November 3rd, 2008, 6:53 pm Post #34 - November 3rd, 2008, 6:53 pm
    As a kid I used to always get Snickers, little boxes of Sun-Maid raisins, Tootsie-Rolls, Kit Kats, and most of all, Smarties!
    Fettuccine alfredo is mac and cheese for adults.
  • Post #35 - November 4th, 2008, 6:28 am
    Post #35 - November 4th, 2008, 6:28 am Post #35 - November 4th, 2008, 6:28 am
    i miss the oddball "independent" candies...your mary janes, black jack gum, brach's various oddities, bazooka joes. life used to be so much more interesting!
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #36 - November 5th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    Post #36 - November 5th, 2008, 1:19 pm Post #36 - November 5th, 2008, 1:19 pm
    I really miss the vanilla-flavored popcorn balls of my youth in Glendale Heights - but with all the loonies out there no one does them at Halloween anymore. - sigh -

Davooda
    Life is a garden, Dude - DIG IT!
    -- anonymous Colorado snowboarder whizzing past me March 2010
  • Post #37 - November 5th, 2008, 1:21 pm
    Post #37 - November 5th, 2008, 1:21 pm Post #37 - November 5th, 2008, 1:21 pm
    JoelF wrote:Three Musketeers Mint.....

I am a fan of all things chocolate and mint, but under no circumstances is a Three Musketeers an acceptable representation of candy. Giving me a Three Musketeers when I was a kid trick-or-treating is the equivalent of buying me a beer today and giving me a Coors Light.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #38 - November 5th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    Post #38 - November 5th, 2008, 1:27 pm Post #38 - November 5th, 2008, 1:27 pm
    Davooda wrote:I really miss the vanilla-flavored popcorn balls of my youth in Glendale Heights - but with all the loonies out there no one does them at Halloween anymore. - sigh -

Davooda

I remember my Aunt making 150 popcorn balls for Halloween in the early 1970's. Now it would likely be looked at suspect and tossed away. There were just as many loonies back then as there are now, which means they are few and far between. Unfortunately there is also a lot less trust in people's good intentions.

Maybe there is a better explanation for this, I just don't know what it may be.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #39 - November 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm
    Post #39 - November 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm Post #39 - November 5th, 2008, 5:14 pm
    [quote="eatchicago"][quote="JoelF"]Three Musketeers Mint.....

I am a fan of all things chocolate and mint, but under no circumstances is a Three Musketeers an acceptable representation of candy. Giving me a Three Musketeers when I was a kid trick-or-treating is the equivalent of buying me a beer today and giving me a Coors Light.
    /quote]

I dig the Mintsketeer, but it's no match for the York Peppermint Patty or Junior Mints.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #40 - November 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm
    Post #40 - November 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm Post #40 - November 5th, 2008, 9:27 pm
    imsscott wrote:How about the tropical fruit Dots?

Definitely,

Well, I'll take a another step towards trying them if you say so. But just another step. While I'm game to try anything and everything, sometimes when you tinker with perfection (I.E. regular dots) then the results* can be disastrous. Hyperbole? Yes. But you gotta understand. I LOOVVE regular @$$ dots something fierce.

*See:
    coke, new
    Matt's Chocolate Chip cookies (had these lately?)
    Remember Boston Market's stuffing when it used to be edible?
    Cinnamon Twizzlers? It pains me to even write that.
    Watchamacallit. Oh how they ruined THAT one.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #41 - November 5th, 2008, 10:57 pm
    Post #41 - November 5th, 2008, 10:57 pm Post #41 - November 5th, 2008, 10:57 pm
    eatchicago wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Three Musketeers Mint.....

The Mintsketeer is a vast improvement over the standard 3Musk, but I agree, it's a weak replacement for Junior Mints or Peppermint Pattie. The chocolate may be a bit less waxy, but there's less of it, and not nearly enough of a zap of mint.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #42 - November 6th, 2008, 8:24 am
    Post #42 - November 6th, 2008, 8:24 am Post #42 - November 6th, 2008, 8:24 am
    fresh mike and ike's :D
    The clown is down!
  • Post #43 - November 7th, 2008, 11:35 am
    Post #43 - November 7th, 2008, 11:35 am Post #43 - November 7th, 2008, 11:35 am
    This year while at a Halloween party with bowls of random candy throughout, I was able to find a few mini Charleston Chew bars, as well as Dubble Bubble gum, both favorites from my younger days. While i still enjoy the unique taste and texture of the Charleston Chew bar, I am wondering if I liked it so much as a kid, just because of the size of the candy bar. If I was only getting to choose one candy bar after enduring the grocery shopping with my mom or dad, being the genius 8 year old I was, I always chose the candy that at least appeared to contain the most candy.

Anyone remember Marathon candy bars? http://www.victoryseeds.com/candystore/confectioners/news/news_marathon_bar.htm Apparently there is a similar replacement on the market but not sold in the U.S. http://www.oldtimecandy.com/curly-wurly.htm
    Butter
  • Post #44 - November 7th, 2008, 12:23 pm
    Post #44 - November 7th, 2008, 12:23 pm Post #44 - November 7th, 2008, 12:23 pm
    JeanneBean wrote:fresh mike and ike's :D

My favorite combo: movie popcorn with 'butter' and raisinettes. sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #45 - November 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm
    Post #45 - November 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm Post #45 - November 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Fresh Paydays!
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #46 - November 13th, 2008, 8:31 pm
    Post #46 - November 13th, 2008, 8:31 pm Post #46 - November 13th, 2008, 8:31 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

My favorite combo: movie popcorn with 'butter' and milk duds. sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy

Regards,
    I corrected that for you.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #47 - November 14th, 2008, 5:35 pm
    Post #47 - November 14th, 2008, 5:35 pm Post #47 - November 14th, 2008, 5:35 pm
    I might have agreed with the editorial change, except a Milk Dud completely took out an onlay in a movie theater a couple of years ago.

The bright side? The sticky "medium" of the Milk Dud preserved my entire onlay (as if in amber) so that I could retrieve it from my mouth intact, present it to my dentist the next morning, and have him glue it back in place with a perfect fit!
  • Post #48 - November 15th, 2008, 9:35 am
    Post #48 - November 15th, 2008, 9:35 am Post #48 - November 15th, 2008, 9:35 am
    JeanneBean wrote:AARRGGH!! I am 27 weeks pregnant with gestational diabetes!!! I keep staring at my daughters bucket of candy and coveting it! Give me some candy!!! Oh the things we endure for our unborn children!!
    I could go for a 3 foot long Twix. :lol:

Jeanne:

Ask and thee shall receive:

BEHOLD! The Three Foot Twix!!!

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project.php?projectID=348
    I'm not Angry, I'm hungry.
  • Post #49 - January 1st, 2009, 8:53 am
    Post #49 - January 1st, 2009, 8:53 am Post #49 - January 1st, 2009, 8:53 am
    seebee wrote:
    imsscott wrote:How about the tropical fruit Dots?

Definitely,

Well, I'll take a another step towards trying them if you say so. But just another step. While I'm game to try anything and everything, sometimes when you tinker with perfection (I.E. regular dots) then the results* can be disastrous. Hyperbole? Yes. But you gotta understand. I LOOVVE regular @$$ dots something fierce.

*See:
    coke, new
    Matt's Chocolate Chip cookies (had these lately?)
    Remember Boston Market's stuffing when it used to be edible?
    Cinnamon Twizzlers? It pains me to even write that.
    Watchamacallit. Oh how they ruined THAT one.

So, I've been holed up in the U.P. since a few days before xmas. I ventured out to a local drug store last night for a few things, and wandered down their candy aisle. The planned NYE celebration was gonna be finally catching "I Am Legend" and ordering take out from The Border Grill which is basically Taco Bell with two dollars added to each menu item's cost. Anyway, I squeezed a box of regular dots, and hit the jackpot - ultrafresh! Perfect for chewing during a vampire movie. I also saw the lonely tropical dots boxes, and figured, ok, 99 cents, no tax up here, let's try em. For the tropical ones, they didn't really hold a candle to the regular ones for me. Although, the mango, and melon ones were decent, but the grapefruit one was just plain old bad. Dealbreaker bad. Like at 12:30 am, the box only had seven dots left (yellow) ones bad. That sucked, cuz, well, you know I had to eat them all before bed. :) Glad I tried them though.

What are these YOGURT DOTS about???
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #50 - January 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm
    Post #50 - January 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm Post #50 - January 1st, 2009, 10:48 pm
    AngrySarah wrote:
    JeanneBean wrote:AARRGGH!! I am 27 weeks pregnant with gestational diabetes!!! I keep staring at my daughters bucket of candy and coveting it! Give me some candy!!! Oh the things we endure for our unborn children!!
    I could go for a 3 foot long Twix. :lol:

Jeanne:

Ask and thee shall receive:

BEHOLD! The Three Foot Twix!!!

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project.php?projectID=348

I have 22 days to go and then I must have chocolate!
    The clown is down!
  • Post #51 - January 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
    Post #51 - January 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am Post #51 - January 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
    The candies I was most excited to receive as a child are pretty much the ones I would still eat:

1. Reese's Cups
    2. Butterfinger
    3. Bit O'Honey FTW
    4. M&M's - crappy chocolate but the small crunchy form is endearing

From time to time Good 'n Plentys would show up in my bag, and they were promptly trashed. I (even as a licorice fan) refuse to believe anyone actually eats these.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #52 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Post #52 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:14 pm Post #52 - January 2nd, 2009, 12:14 pm
    Suzy Creamcheese wrote:The candies I was most excited to receive as a child are pretty much the ones I would still eat:

1. Reese's Cups
    2. Butterfinger
    3. Bit O'Honey FTW
    4. M&M's - crappy chocolate but the small crunchy form is endearing

From time to time Good 'n Plentys would show up in my bag, and they were promptly trashed. I (even as a licorice fan) refuse to believe anyone actually eats these.

My mother liked them. I dumped them off on her, much the way I dropped the peanut butter-taffy-whatsits on dad.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #53 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:09 pm
    Post #53 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:09 pm Post #53 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:09 pm
    Hi,

The only thing I liked about Good n Plenty was the the commercial. "Charlie says, "Love my Good 'n Plenty ...""

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #54 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:49 pm
    Post #54 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:49 pm Post #54 - January 2nd, 2009, 3:49 pm
    Lol - I was just explaining to a coworker that my in laws (who I've been staying with since a few days before xmas until a few days from now) don't even have any good candy in the house.
    Example A: theater box of Good And Plenty
    Example B: Theater sized box of "Snaps'
    Example C: Massive bowl of black licorice flavored salt water taffy.

They fight over this stuff, and then laugh at me cuz they know I hate it all. They are all rolling around in the stuff, and taunting me with phrases like "don't you just love the smell?"

"...Don't know any other candy that I love so well."

F You, Charlie!
  • Post #55 - February 8th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Post #55 - February 8th, 2009, 9:53 am Post #55 - February 8th, 2009, 9:53 am
    Best candy EVER

Unfortunately, despite the awesomeness of filling mini character-shaped ice cream cones with whipped chocolate in three flavors, (each is packaged seperately, too - vital for a classroom/halloween treat) and even though they're by Glico (makers of Pocky and other Japanese candy awesomeness,) I've only found them in one location in Chicagoland: the Chinese herbal medicine store across the Chinatown Square Mall from Aji Ichiban candy, near Mayflower market. I bought them out yesterday, but there's also an adult version that doesn't have the characters on the cone...

Researching online, I'm pretty sure the store is:
    YIN WALL CITY, INC
    2112A S. Archer
    312-225-2888

Which has another location I haven't tried, (as well as one in Westmont and one in Austin, TX:)

YIN WALL CITY
    2347A S. Wentworth Ave.
    312-808-1122

They also carry the Silang oat cracker cookies, which have mysteriously dissappeared from H-Mart. A Chinese herb shop is a surprising place to find candy and dry goods, but they've got a really good selection.
  • Post #56 - November 2nd, 2009, 12:40 pm
    Post #56 - November 2nd, 2009, 12:40 pm Post #56 - November 2nd, 2009, 12:40 pm
    For those of you who are having difficulty keeping your hands off the leftovers, I found a charity you can ship unwanted wrapped candy to, and they'll send it to deployed US troops: not only is it worth the cost of shipping just to get the stuff out of your house, it's a good cause. (Our local food pantry won't take candy.)

http://www.OperationGratitude.com
  • Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:10 pm
    Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:10 pm Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:10 pm
    Blown Z wrote:Smarties!

Smarties are to Sweet Tarts
    as Hydrox are to Oreos.
    Lame-ass poseurs.

And why hasn't Peter Paul
    bridged that technological chasm
    separating Mounds and Almond Joy -
    somehow combining dark chocolate
    and almonds in one unified field theory
    of candy: Dark Chocolate Almond Joy?
  • Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:31 pm
    Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:31 pm Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:31 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:
    Blown Z wrote:Smarties!

Smarties are to Sweet Tarts
    as Hydrox are to Oreos.
    Lame-ass poseurs.
    [/b]?

hmm. I believe Smarties have been around a lot longer than SweeTarts.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm
    Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm
    And Hydrox longer than Oreos.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm
    Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:45 pm
    SCUBAchef wrote:And why hasn't Peter Paul bridged that technological chasm separating Mounds and Almond Joy - somehow combining dark chocolate and almonds in one unified field theory of candy: Dark Chocolate Almond Joy?

I often wondered that myself. Everything else that's typically milk chocolate is being turned dark these days. I'll be the first in line for that limited edition! I find Mounds to be superior to Almond Joy, purely because dark chocolate goes better with coconut.

I write stuff.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more