Colossally
    37%
    Totally
    21%
    Amazingly
    19%
    Total votes : 43
  • Post #121 - September 5th, 2011, 8:39 am
    Post #121 - September 5th, 2011, 8:39 am Post #121 - September 5th, 2011, 8:39 am
    Hi,

A recent spate of imposed vegetarianism, I felt an urgent need to eat real red meat. I purchased at a meat market a Porterhouse steak and two NY strips steaks. It would have been two Porterhouses, except one person's preference in meat was unknown. I didn't mind sacrificing one NY strip to medium to well done, just not a larger Porterhouse.

Visiting a home with four dogs of varying heights, everything edible is removed from kitchen counters to avoid foodnapping. Garbage is kept in a seperate room beyond locked doors to avoid doggie garbage parties. They love their dogs, though they are vigilant to their less than charming behaviors.

When I returned from the store, I put the steaks on top of the refrigerator to get them to room temperature. It's a tall refrigerator, there isn't easy access to the dogs and it could safely rest. I supposed.

When it was time to prepare dinner, I reached up to find no steaks. I looked in the refrigerator hoping someone might have moved them there. Nothing. I looked in the oven, thinking they were put there for protection. I noticed it was pretty quiet with no dog hovering around. I tried to recall hearing any feeding frenzy while I napped in the next room.

I then began looking around for overly satisfied dogs. Especially the Dalmation who can bound over kid gates with little effort. I was already clicking alternative meal plans, like Spaghetti Carbonara, if I found tattered meat packaging scattered around food coma induced dogs.

A few minutes into my search, someone came into the kitchen opened the microwave and pulled out the steaks. In this household, the microwave is the ultimate foodsafe.

While I came close to having a dumbass dog story, it was not to be.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #122 - September 5th, 2011, 8:52 am
    Post #122 - September 5th, 2011, 8:52 am Post #122 - September 5th, 2011, 8:52 am
    C2, wouldn't steak-eating dogs be more smartass than dumbass?

Love "doggie garbage parties."
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #123 - September 5th, 2011, 9:07 am
    Post #123 - September 5th, 2011, 9:07 am Post #123 - September 5th, 2011, 9:07 am
    David Hammond wrote:C2, wouldn't steak-eating dogs be more smartass than dumbass?

Love "doggie garbage parties."

I guess you are right, they are smartly seeking whatever advantage they can in the food department.

I regularly make them dog treats. I have prepared them pig ears two ways: slow roasted and smoked.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #124 - September 5th, 2011, 9:19 am
    Post #124 - September 5th, 2011, 9:19 am Post #124 - September 5th, 2011, 9:19 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I regularly make them dog treats. I have prepared them pig ears two ways: slow roasted and smoked.

So, The Wife and I go around and around on this. I feed our cat (a guest; belongs to my temporarily Swiss daughter) pork all the time, and The Wife chastises, "You should NOT give pets pork." This sounds like total bullshit to me, so I keep doing it.

As this thread proves, dogs will eat anything. I think cats will, too. Yesterday, she ate a mayo-slathered tomato slice that fell on the floor.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #125 - September 5th, 2011, 9:48 am
    Post #125 - September 5th, 2011, 9:48 am Post #125 - September 5th, 2011, 9:48 am
    I believe Whiskas makes a Liver & Bacon cat food.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #126 - September 5th, 2011, 11:25 am
    Post #126 - September 5th, 2011, 11:25 am Post #126 - September 5th, 2011, 11:25 am
    man, we feed one of our cats anything. he likes szechuan string beans, he likes plain white rice, he likes any kind of meat he has ever met. straight up omnivore.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #127 - September 5th, 2011, 11:46 am
    Post #127 - September 5th, 2011, 11:46 am Post #127 - September 5th, 2011, 11:46 am
    David Hammond wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I regularly make them dog treats. I have prepared them pig ears two ways: slow roasted and smoked.

So, The Wife and I go around and around on this. I feed our cat (a guest; belongs to my temporarily Swiss daughter) pork all the time, and The Wife chastises, "You should NOT give pets pork." This sounds like total bullshit to me, so I keep doing it.

Dogs eat pork. Cats eat mice, isn't that kinda like pork?
  • Post #128 - September 5th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    Post #128 - September 5th, 2011, 2:00 pm Post #128 - September 5th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    eatthriftcreate wrote:But the most !@#$%&-ed up thing she ever ate? A live bird ... It was about 6:30 in the morning, and I was taking her for a walk before I headed to work. I didn't notice that a robin had landed on the grass in front of us ... But Junebug did! She lunged forward, and with a quick, sickening "crunch" had the bird in her mouth. I screamed a couple times, but she just gobbled it down, oblivious to my horror. .

My dog started with a baby bird that fell out of the tree. We would not have known had the dog not "barked it to death".

After that, he graduated to rats. He took out three is a two week period.

Then cats. Cats of all sizes and ages. Kittens, barn cats, and the like. Few dogs like barn cats as they are tough and mean. They learned quickly to head for a tree or a quick perch.

Finally, he graduated to heifers. BAD mistake. They tolerated the barking, they tolerated the approach. However, he got too close and we heard a loud whimper. He starts heading back to the house. He was walking back completely dazed like a drunk on a 16 hour bendr. He left the heifers alone.
  • Post #129 - September 5th, 2011, 6:52 pm
    Post #129 - September 5th, 2011, 6:52 pm Post #129 - September 5th, 2011, 6:52 pm
    My dog is obsessed with bread. Generally he's a good dog, doesn't try to break into the kitchen even though he can - unless there's a freshly-purchased loaf on the counter. Then I will come home to the remnants of chawed-up hunks of bread everywhere. Sometimes he even eats the packaging.
    As a mattra-fact, Pie Face, you are beginning to look almost human. - Barbara Bennett
  • Post #130 - October 2nd, 2012, 9:22 am
    Post #130 - October 2nd, 2012, 9:22 am Post #130 - October 2nd, 2012, 9:22 am
    Something every dog owner can relate to!

Enjoy!
  • Post #131 - December 4th, 2012, 11:29 am
    Post #131 - December 4th, 2012, 11:29 am Post #131 - December 4th, 2012, 11:29 am
    jaholbrook wrote:Something every dog owner can relate to!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

Enjoy!

Oh man. My screen suddenly got blurry.
    "I've always thought pastrami was the most sensuous of the salted cured meats."
  • Post #132 - December 5th, 2012, 10:30 am
    Post #132 - December 5th, 2012, 10:30 am Post #132 - December 5th, 2012, 10:30 am
    Does this look like a dog who just ate a paint roller?
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #133 - December 5th, 2012, 10:34 am
    Post #133 - December 5th, 2012, 10:34 am Post #133 - December 5th, 2012, 10:34 am
    Yes. He looks very guilty. (And cute.) How do you swallow a roller? :shock:

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #134 - December 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm
    Post #134 - December 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm Post #134 - December 5th, 2012, 3:40 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Yes. He looks very guilty. (And cute.) How do you swallow a roller? :shock:

He didn't swallow it, he just chewed 1/2 of the fuzz off.

And not only is he cute, but he knows it.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #135 - December 5th, 2012, 4:32 pm
    Post #135 - December 5th, 2012, 4:32 pm Post #135 - December 5th, 2012, 4:32 pm
    Ew.

Then again my cat licks my fuzzy blanket and robe...go figure.

I write stuff.
  • Post #136 - January 10th, 2014, 11:45 am
    Post #136 - January 10th, 2014, 11:45 am Post #136 - January 10th, 2014, 11:45 am
    One of my favorite threads has not been updated in a long time, I offer this:

Lucy the Beagle has figured out that there are tasty things in the toaster oven and knows how to get them. After a roast disappeared a few weeks earlier, her guardian Rodd Scheinerman decided to set up a sting operation. He wrote on YouTube, "A few weeks before she took a roast out of the oven that had been cooking for a few hours… So I set her up. I put some nuggets in the oven… Pressed record and left. This was 7 minutes into the video."
    Cathy2

• Post #137 - January 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm
    Post #137 - January 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm Post #137 - January 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:One of my favorite threads has not been updated in a long time, I offer this:

Lucy the Beagle has figured out that there are tasty things in the toaster oven and knows how to get them. After a roast disappeared a few weeks earlier, her guardian Rodd Scheinerman decided to set up a sting operation. He wrote on YouTube, "A few weeks before she took a roast out of the oven that had been cooking for a few hours… So I set her up. I put some nuggets in the oven… Pressed record and left. This was 7 minutes into the video."

That's hysterical. I especially like how she moves the chairs into position.
    -Mary
  • Post #138 - January 11th, 2014, 1:16 pm
    Post #138 - January 11th, 2014, 1:16 pm Post #138 - January 11th, 2014, 1:16 pm
    Which means you probably can't show that video in the public schools of several southern states.
  • Post #139 - May 30th, 2022, 8:56 am
    Post #139 - May 30th, 2022, 8:56 am Post #139 - May 30th, 2022, 8:56 am
    Hi,

I often refer to this thread in conversation with friends. I thought I would remind people of its existence to perhaps tease out some updates.

My household is cat-centric, so no good stories here. Last night as I getting ready to sleep, I found a hairball in the middle of my bed. Not in the same league as dogs who tear apart wall-to-wall carpeting to chew on the padding underneath.

One of sisters has a Dalmation who can easily access the kitchen counters. If you leave anything there, it is ripe for attack by the dog. Just pulled a pork roast from the oven, it was grabbed by the dog. BTW - This dog has been to obedience classes, which works unless it is the kitchen counter.

All the dogs who have any familiarity with our home, begin every visit by visiting the cat's bowls. If there are any dried up morsels that flew out of the bowl, no problem they will deal with it.

When I cook, I try to sweep anything that falls on the floor into a corner to pick up later. If a dog shows up, they riffle through it to look for the good stuff. Same dog loves to chew on paper. Whenever there are bits of paper here and there, I know he came to visit. I have visual clairvoyance.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #140 - May 30th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    Post #140 - May 30th, 2022, 3:12 pm Post #140 - May 30th, 2022, 3:12 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I often refer to this thread in conversation with friends. I thought I would remind people of its existence to perhaps tease out some updates.

OK…I officially blame this on Cathy. This afternoon, my dumbass but lovable counter-surfing sheepdog ate what was going to be tonight’s dinner, about two pounds of ground turkey that was going to be turkey burgers.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #141 - May 30th, 2022, 3:20 pm
    Post #141 - May 30th, 2022, 3:20 pm Post #141 - May 30th, 2022, 3:20 pm
    Dave148 wrote:OK…I officially blame this on Cathy. This afternoon, my dumbass but lovable counter-surfing sheepdog ate what was going to be tonight’s dinner, about two pounds of ground turkey that was going to be turkey burgers.

Better put some towels or something down where she sleeps to catch the regurgitation.
  • Post #142 - May 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm
    Post #142 - May 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm Post #142 - May 30th, 2022, 3:25 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:OK…I officially blame this on Cathy. This afternoon, my dumbass but lovable counter-surfing sheepdog ate what was going to be tonight’s dinner, about two pounds of ground turkey that was going to be turkey burgers.

Better put some towels or something down where she sleeps to catch the regurgitation.

Thanks Lou. So far, no adverse reaction.
  • Post #143 - May 30th, 2022, 5:23 pm
    Post #143 - May 30th, 2022, 5:23 pm Post #143 - May 30th, 2022, 5:23 pm
    Our Shiba Inu puppy, AKA “the land shark”, puts anything and everything in her mouth. Especially fun with our 10-year-old who is into crafting and not picking-up after herself. Found her chewing on a piece of glitter tape yesterday.

Good thing they are both so cute!
  • Post #144 - May 31st, 2022, 8:04 am
    Post #144 - May 31st, 2022, 8:04 am Post #144 - May 31st, 2022, 8:04 am
    It only took a couple of mistakes on our part to understand the range of our dog in relation to the counters. Caught him in the act of nibbling on a cheese and charcuterie board the first time. The second was when we were visiting friends. The hosts had made a bunch of steaks and had leftovers on a tray on the counter. We think the other dogs elected Radar to grab one of the steaks as he was the tallest/longest one at the time. Our hosts were not terribly pleased. Fortunately he only got one small piece of meat. He is very stealthy and surprisingly gentle, as Mr. X could tell you when Radar swiped a hot dog off his plate a couple of years ago.
    -Mary
  • Post #145 - May 31st, 2022, 8:20 am
    Post #145 - May 31st, 2022, 8:20 am Post #145 - May 31st, 2022, 8:20 am
    The GP wrote:He is very stealthy and surprisingly gentle, as Mr. X could tell you when Radar swiped a hot dog off his plate a couple of years ago.

I've thought our neighbors dog, who spends a considerable amount of time at our house, is delicate with excellent manners. Like the guest of honor at the Wellesley alumni awards gala.

On the other hand, when he tries to snag a doggy treat from the bottom side of the glass table in our living room, he is just dumb, funny, hysterical.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #146 - June 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm
    Post #146 - June 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm Post #146 - June 2nd, 2022, 5:19 pm
    Outdoors, I tire of trying to keep my dog from eating cigarette butts (filters and all) and goose poop. I am not sure which one is worse for her. She thinks they're both great. Blech!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #147 - June 2nd, 2022, 7:05 pm
    Post #147 - June 2nd, 2022, 7:05 pm Post #147 - June 2nd, 2022, 7:05 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:

Thanks Lou. So far, no adverse reaction.

As a follow up…zero reaction to what she ate.
  • Post #148 - June 3rd, 2022, 8:11 am
    Post #148 - June 3rd, 2022, 8:11 am Post #148 - June 3rd, 2022, 8:11 am
    I forgot about my favorite story. I was walking the dog one morning and came across some random groceries strewn in the bushes. (The joys of city living!) Radar zoomed in on the pound of butter. He carried that on our almost mile long walk, drool and melted butter dripping along the way. I'm not sure how we finally got him to give it up. He really wanted that butter!

-Mary
  • Post #149 - April 28th, 2023, 9:22 pm
    Post #149 - April 28th, 2023, 9:22 pm Post #149 - April 28th, 2023, 9:22 pm
    Our dog goes to a daycare house twice a week. Picked her up today and was informed she ate an egg. Owner had gone to the grocery store and while she was putting away the groceries our dog opened a carton of eggs with her snoot and chomped down a raw egg, shell and all.
    Our previous dog was a Border Collie and exhibited very typical and predictable herding dog behavior. This Shiba Inu is a loose cannon independent that is keeping us on our toes. Never a dull moment…

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more