LTH Home

Behold, the Antichrist: Whole Foods

Behold, the Antichrist: Whole Foods
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 5 of 6
  • Post #121 - August 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm
    Post #121 - August 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm Post #121 - August 13th, 2019, 2:37 pm
    bweiny wrote:
    polster wrote:Also regarding the Amazon Prime discounts there pretty good as you get an additional 10% off all sale items. So for example 4 chocolate croissant package was on sale for $4 ($7 regular price) this week + Prime discount $0.40 makes it worthwhile.
    I despise Amazon generally, for non-food related reasons, so I am not a Prime member (never bought anything on the site). But having seen this, knowing my mom is a prime member I asked the employee at the North Evanston WF if in fact the discount was true. She said yes, and did not provide any caveats. Naive chump that I am, I borrowed my mom's cell a couple days later to buy some craft beer there, thinking the 10% off would make up for the 6%+ excess tax Evanston charges compared to the Jewel 2 blocks north in Wilmette. Once at check-out, WF app is scanned, no discount (at least I didn't load up, was just 2 4/6pks).
    **Extra 10% Prime discount on sale items EXCLUDES ALCOHOL**
    I was played. Just another sucker adding to Bezos's riches.

You could have told them and just not bought it at all. The nice thing about working for Beneficient Thanos is the employees don't take stuff like that remotely personal.

Of course it makes sense that the discount wouldn't apply to alcohol to me but what do I know.

It's a good discount but I never recovered my desire to shop often there after I stopped about 10 years ago when the founder of WFM said some things and I decided I didn't want to support his thoughts with my money.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #122 - August 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Post #122 - August 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm Post #122 - August 13th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    bweiny wrote:
    polster wrote:regarding the Amazon Prime discounts there pretty good as you get an additional 10% off all sale items.
    I borrowed my mom's cell a couple days later to buy some craft beer there, thinking the 10% off would make up for the 6%+ excess tax Evanston charges ....
    **Extra 10% Prime discount on sale items EXCLUDES ALCOHOL**
    You could have told them and just not bought it at all. The nice thing about working for Beneficient Thanos is the employees don't take stuff like that remotely personal.

Of course it makes sense that the discount wouldn't apply to alcohol to me but what do I know.
    You're correct, the employees at check-out offered to take it off the bill. But at the same time, they didn't know (at a minimum they acted like they didn't when there was nothing to gain in doing so) alcohol was excluded as a rule. They were more blase - "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't." To be clear, I don't fault them, the problem is a lack of clarity from above.

There've been plenty of reasons to avoid WF dating back to their aggression in the Wild Oats acquisition and the associated FTC enforcement. Scooping up market share to actionable levels is hostile to the ethos of organic produce and sustainability.
  • Post #123 - August 20th, 2019, 8:22 am
    Post #123 - August 20th, 2019, 8:22 am Post #123 - August 20th, 2019, 8:22 am
    Blasphemy!!! :evil: I suggest they name it the 666 sandwich.

A Vegan Corned Beef Sandwich Is Coming to Whole Foods
    The vegan Jewish deli fare craze continues. The latest to jump on the health and eco-conscious bandwagon? Whole Foods.

In the next month, vegan corned beef sandwiches will line the shelves of over 50 Whole Foods Markets in the U.S., including stores in Arizona, Hawaii, California, and Nevada. The meat-free Jewish deli favorite comes from Mrs. Goldfarb’s Unreal Deli’s plant-based corned beef recipe, and will be served on a whole-grain seeded roll with vegan Russian dressing and green leaf lettuce. (No rye bread or mustard? Sorry, that’s not a true corned beef sandwich.)
  • Post #124 - March 18th, 2020, 10:43 pm
    Post #124 - March 18th, 2020, 10:43 pm Post #124 - March 18th, 2020, 10:43 pm
    has anybody been to Whole Foods Lincoln Park today or yesterday? how are supplies and crowds? (been isolating since friday and preparing to make a quick venture somewhere but don't want to go to a pillaged circus)...
  • Post #125 - March 19th, 2020, 9:15 am
    Post #125 - March 19th, 2020, 9:15 am Post #125 - March 19th, 2020, 9:15 am
    annak wrote:has anybody been to Whole Foods Lincoln Park today or yesterday? how are supplies and crowds? (been isolating since friday and preparing to make a quick venture somewhere but don't want to go to a pillaged circus)...

Whole Foods in River Forest (and I suspect at all stores) has a senior citizen's hour between 8am and 9am, when only we ancient ones are allowed access. Not sure how old you are or what the age cut-off is at WF, but I think this is a very good policy, which I took advantage of yesterday, when there was probably 20 customers or less in the whole store.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #126 - March 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm
    Post #126 - March 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm Post #126 - March 21st, 2020, 5:00 pm
    Hi- I just got an email from Whole Foods that they are shutting down their hot bar, salad bar and olive bar until further notice, and people cannot use the eating areas to eat their purchases.
  • Post #127 - March 21st, 2020, 6:17 pm
    Post #127 - March 21st, 2020, 6:17 pm Post #127 - March 21st, 2020, 6:17 pm
    NFriday wrote:I just got an email from Whole Foods that they are shutting down their hot bar, salad bar and olive bar until further notice, and people cannot use the eating areas to eat their purchases.
    This has been the case at the north Evanston location, and I assumed many more, for at least the last week, ie. since the dine-in ban. The only caveat is that unlike the other two, the olive bar was stocked with packaged containers, whereas the other two were completely empty.
  • Post #128 - March 22nd, 2020, 3:57 am
    Post #128 - March 22nd, 2020, 3:57 am Post #128 - March 22nd, 2020, 3:57 am
    When David began this topic – more than twelve years ago – it was very fashionable to throw stones at Whole Foods for their (comparatively) high prices. In today’s world, when supermarket companies, in general – and that includes Whole Foods – are working so hard to serve the public, perhaps it is time for LTH to drop the denigration from the topic title.

Now, it seems appropriate for us to appreciate this hard-working industry, rather than to unfairly disparage one of its members – and that’s not only because our nephew works there.

Here’s hoping that David agrees.
  • Post #129 - March 22nd, 2020, 6:35 am
    Post #129 - March 22nd, 2020, 6:35 am Post #129 - March 22nd, 2020, 6:35 am
    jimd wrote:When David began this topic – more than twelve years ago – it was very fashionable to throw stones at Whole Foods for their (comparatively) high prices. In today’s world, when supermarket companies, in general – and that includes Whole Foods – are working so hard to serve the public, perhaps it is time for LTH to drop the denigration from the topic title.

Now, it seems appropriate for us to appreciate this hard-working industry, rather than to unfairly disparage one of its members – and that’s not only because our nephew works there.

Here’s hoping that David agrees.

jimd, I was just reflecting yesterday on the issue you raise. I agree the title is harsh and I don't have much problem changing it, though as you recognize, it's twelve or so years old so changing it feels like rewriting history. Perhaps if the title is changed, a note could be appended to the frontend of the post to recognize how times and perceptions (and the title of the post) have changed. Will give it some thought and see what feels right.
  • Post #130 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:12 am
    Post #130 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:12 am Post #130 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:12 am
    bweiny wrote:
    NFriday wrote:I just got an email from Whole Foods that they are shutting down their hot bar, salad bar and olive bar until further notice, and people cannot use the eating areas to eat their purchases.
    This has been the case at the north Evanston location, and I assumed many more, for at least the last week, ie. since the dine-in ban. The only caveat is that unlike the other two, the olive bar was stocked with packaged containers, whereas the other two were completely empty.

Also, I noticed at Whole foods in Northbrook the individual cookies, sweet roles, bagels, etc... were already bagged individually instead of being able to normally pick out which one you want with a tissue from the case and put into a bag.
  • Post #131 - March 22nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
    Post #131 - March 22nd, 2020, 2:32 pm Post #131 - March 22nd, 2020, 2:32 pm
    polster wrote:
    bweiny wrote:

Also, I noticed at Whole foods in Northbrook the individual cookies, sweet roles, bagels, etc... were already bagged individually instead of being able to normally pick out which one you want with a tissue from the case and put into a bag.

Jewel's bakery case bagels, rolls and donuts are now behind the counter, where a gloved staffer uses tongs to bag them.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #132 - March 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm
    Post #132 - March 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm Post #132 - March 22nd, 2020, 7:44 pm
    JoelF wrote:Jewel's bakery case bagels, rolls and donuts are now behind the counter, where a gloved staffer uses tongs to bag them.

At the Highland Park Jewel, all the bagels are bundled in plastic bags. There is no pick your own assortment anything.

The French bread is in a plastic bag with a twist-tie, then place in a paper sleeve. I remember Hammond last week wondering if the bread sticking out was sanitary.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #133 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm
    Post #133 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm Post #133 - March 22nd, 2020, 8:04 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Jewel's bakery case bagels, rolls and donuts are now behind the counter, where a gloved staffer uses tongs to bag them.

The French bread is in a plastic bag with a twist-tie, then place in a paper sleeve. I remember Hammond last week wondering if the bread sticking out was sanitary.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Applause.
  • Post #134 - March 22nd, 2020, 11:41 pm
    Post #134 - March 22nd, 2020, 11:41 pm Post #134 - March 22nd, 2020, 11:41 pm
    Video of the produce aisle at my Whole Foods:

You can avoid people in dry goods and dairy, but as soon as you even *think* about reaching for a head of lettuce you are suddenly violated by a swarm of strangers with no concept of personal space, never mind social distancing.
  • Post #135 - March 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am
    Post #135 - March 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am Post #135 - March 23rd, 2020, 11:16 am
    My Whole Foods (Northbrook) was near empty yesterday mid-day, and the produce section filled to the brim.
  • Post #136 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    Post #136 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm Post #136 - March 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    Hi- Other than bananas people don't seem to be hoarding the fresh produce. I've heard that they have been hitting the frozen veggies and canned veggies and fruit. When I was at Jewel last Tuesday, they were almost out of canned applesauce. Today they had lots of canned applesauce, but they did not have any that was unsweetened other than the organic which was $3.69 for a small bottle. I am surprised about the flour and yeast going, but bread is in short supply and so people are baking their own instead.

Does anybody know if Whole Foods still has their bulk food section open? I was hoping to get some flour their. I have plenty of WW flour, but I need some bread flour to make some bread, and I don't need a five pound bag.
  • Post #137 - March 27th, 2020, 9:30 am
    Post #137 - March 27th, 2020, 9:30 am Post #137 - March 27th, 2020, 9:30 am
    I was in the downtown Evanston WF this morning for senior hour. You are supposed to be 60+. I was surprised how many people were there at 8:30. Some of them were not seniors. They had signs up with limits on items. I saw a few carts with loads of lettuce and salad mixes even though there was supposed to be a limit on those. Their organic bananas were $.59 a pound, and their regular ones were $.49. Jewel sells their regular ones for $.59 and their organic ones for $.79. The only bags of potatoes they had were the little rainbow ones. Their baby organic carrots were only $1.69 which is way cheaper than Jewel. They also had navel oranges the conventional ones for $.79 a pound which is their new regular price. I think you get 10% off that if you are a member of prime. All of their navel oranges were all ready bagged, which I appreciated

They were out of toilet paper except for individual rolls, and the only bread flour they had was two pound bags of King Arthur for $4.99. I decided to pass on it. Has anybody seen lots of flour at the Green Bay store? I might go to Trader Joe's too to look for it. People were loading up on lettuce and salad mixes. They did have 1% milk which Jewel did not, but I did not need any. They have the social distancing at the registers. They have the floor taped so you stay 6 feet away from the person checking out. I noticed that one woman probably had 10 bags of groceries they were helping her load into her car. I saw a few other loaded carts. You have to bag your own groceries which is just fine with me. I wish they had the wipes for the carts like Jewel does, but as I was leaving the store to get on the elevator, I saw one of the employees offer to wipe somebody's cart down. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #138 - March 31st, 2020, 6:37 am
    Post #138 - March 31st, 2020, 6:37 am Post #138 - March 31st, 2020, 6:37 am
    Just a heads up to anyone planning on going to WF today, their workers have planned a 1-day (at least) strike over working conditions (compensation, benefits, safety). It will probably vary by location whether it will result in minimal shortages to closure. Consider shopping elsewhere if you support the workers, or at least have a plan B for your own sake.
  • Post #139 - April 10th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Post #139 - April 10th, 2020, 12:11 pm Post #139 - April 10th, 2020, 12:11 pm
    I was in the downtown Evanston WF this morning for senior hour. You are supposed to be 60+. I was surprised how many people were there at 8:30. Some of them were not seniors.

In our stores, at least, it says for seniors and others with vulnerabilities or at high risk. So you might have seen people who otherwise look healthy but in fact have an underlying medical condition.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #140 - April 10th, 2020, 7:33 pm
    Post #140 - April 10th, 2020, 7:33 pm Post #140 - April 10th, 2020, 7:33 pm
    My last trip to WF was last week in Schererville (NWI for you city folk) and when I arrived at 8:20 a.m., they were DEFINITELY letting everyone know that it was 60+ until 9:00. I hope they’d allow someone who was immuno-compromised through, and they weren’t asking for ID or anything, but I was happy to hang in the car for the add’l 40 mins.

The store was pretty crowded after that, so I’m also fine with any restrictions they place on total number of shoppers allowed in at a time. Frankly, if there were fewer people in at a time, we’d be able to get in and out faster. Waiting to walk thru aisles til it was clear or get to bins was stressful. Then again, there were a lot of folks who seemed completely oblivious to those waiting so it might elevate the stress level even more. Interesting times, for sure.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #141 - May 2nd, 2020, 1:54 am
    Post #141 - May 2nd, 2020, 1:54 am Post #141 - May 2nd, 2020, 1:54 am
    Hi- Whole Foods is now giving away free disposable masks to any customer that wants one. They are supposed to be located at the entrance to the store. They are now requiring all shoppers to wear a mask while they are in the store. The state of Illinois now requires everybody to wear a mask when they enter a grocery store too.
  • Post #142 - March 27th, 2021, 6:17 pm
    Post #142 - March 27th, 2021, 6:17 pm Post #142 - March 27th, 2021, 6:17 pm
    Hi- I was in the Whole Foods on Green Bay in Evanston this afternoon. There were more people there than I would have liked, but I got my second shot nine days ago. Nobody was following the signs on the floor, and there were tons of Amazon Prime workers there doing shopping for either take out or delivery. I've found out that the store is not as helpful as the downtown Evanston store, and it is busier. I thought I was buying some organic parsley because that is what the sign said. When I got to self checkout, it rang up as Cilantro. I decided to keep it. I searched the whole store for wheat germ, but I did not see it, and I did not see anybody to ask. I finally went to customer service, and that person contacted somebody in grocery, and they looked and they were out of it.

Does Whole Foods ever limit the number of people in the store? The sign at the front of the store says I believe 120 maximum capacity, but there must have been more than that there today.
  • Post #143 - March 28th, 2021, 9:45 am
    Post #143 - March 28th, 2021, 9:45 am Post #143 - March 28th, 2021, 9:45 am
    The Whole Foods on Willow in Northbrook always has a person counting how many people go in at the one entrance, and there have been times when there was a short line. That hasn't happened for a long time, but the Northbrook store is bigger and generally less crowded than either of the Evanston stores.
  • Post #144 - July 14th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Post #144 - July 14th, 2021, 1:46 pm Post #144 - July 14th, 2021, 1:46 pm
    Hi- I get emails from Whole Foods every Wednesday telling me what is on sale. They have sockeye salmon on sale for $11.99. Is that a good price? How large is each individual piece? It probably feeds more than one person. That is why I don't buy sockeye very often because I would have to save part of it for the next day.

They also have cherries on sale for $2.99. I know Jewel has cherries on sale right now three pounds for $2.97, but the cherries at Whole Foods are way better. Yes you have to buy three pounds at Jewel to get it at that price.
  • Post #145 - July 14th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Post #145 - July 14th, 2021, 2:28 pm Post #145 - July 14th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I get emails from Whole Foods every Wednesday telling me what is on sale. They have sockeye salmon on sale for $11.99. Is that a good price? How large is each individual piece? It probably feeds more than one person. That is why I don't buy sockeye very often because I would have to save part of it for the next day.

The salmon is $11.99/pound. You could have them cut a piece whatever size you need. I don't know if that's a good price as I'm getting all my fish through Sitka Salmon Shares right now.
    -Mary
  • Post #146 - July 14th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    Post #146 - July 14th, 2021, 3:29 pm Post #146 - July 14th, 2021, 3:29 pm
    The GP wrote:
    NFriday wrote:Hi- I get emails from Whole Foods every Wednesday telling me what is on sale. They have sockeye salmon on sale for $11.99. Is that a good price? How large is each individual piece? It probably feeds more than one person. That is why I don't buy sockeye very often because I would have to save part of it for the next day.

The salmon is $11.99/pound. You could have them cut a piece whatever size you need. I don't know if that's a good price as I'm getting all my fish through Sitka Salmon Shares right now.

That's a good price for reliable quality sockeye. Sitka runs closer to $30/pound if you get their smallest monthly share (Regular), which is $139/month for 4.5-5 pounds. Of course, the two conduits' missions are not exactly identical, either.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #147 - February 5th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    Post #147 - February 5th, 2022, 4:59 pm Post #147 - February 5th, 2022, 4:59 pm
    Hi- I was in the downtown Evanston Whole Foods a few days ago, and currently they have Amy's frozen burritos on sale for 10 for $10, or 10 for $9 if you are a member of Prime. This price is only good for the burritos that are normally $2.79, and no you do not have to buy 10 of them. I bought some Southwestern and black bean burritos. I also bought a package of Amylu's Michigan cherry chicken sausage which is on sale for $3.99, or $3.59 for Prime members. All of the Amylu's sausage is wonderful, but I especially love their Michigan cherry sausage. The sale ends on 2/15 at all Chicago area Whole Food stores. Jewel does not carry the Michigan cherry sausage. BTW- Amazon is raising the price of Prime by $20 later this month. It might be on 2/18. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #148 - August 11th, 2022, 5:11 pm
    Post #148 - August 11th, 2022, 5:11 pm Post #148 - August 11th, 2022, 5:11 pm
    Whole Foods Wants Your Handprints. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/whole- ... print-scan
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #149 - August 11th, 2022, 5:55 pm
    Post #149 - August 11th, 2022, 5:55 pm Post #149 - August 11th, 2022, 5:55 pm
    OMG - no.
  • Post #150 - August 11th, 2022, 7:16 pm
    Post #150 - August 11th, 2022, 7:16 pm Post #150 - August 11th, 2022, 7:16 pm
    lougord99 wrote:OMG - no.

Is it really that different than Apple using my face to unlock my phone or access my credit card?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more