LTH Home

Bone broth?

Bone broth?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bone broth?

Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 12:35 am
    Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 12:35 am Post #1 - January 26th, 2023, 12:35 am
    Classically, stock is is made from bones, and broth is made from meat.
    So WTH is bone broth?
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:25 am Post #2 - January 26th, 2023, 7:25 am
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Classically, stock is is made from bones, and broth is made from meat.
    So WTH is bone broth?

A marketing term.

Even sillier are the flavored versions, e.g. "Thai Lemongrass Chicken Bone Broth"

That's soup.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:15 am
    Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:15 am Post #3 - January 26th, 2023, 8:15 am
    Hi,

I don't usually buy broth or bone broth, though I thought bone broth would be more gelatinous.

I have made broth that was liquid at refrigerator temperatures and others that had that gelatinous jiggle. I am seeking flavor, so I don't really pay attention to these textures.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - January 26th, 2023, 8:51 am
    Post #4 - January 26th, 2023, 8:51 am Post #4 - January 26th, 2023, 8:51 am
    Evil Ronnie wrote:Classically, stock is is made from bones, and broth is made from meat.
    So WTH is bone broth?

4x the cost
  • Post #5 - January 26th, 2023, 10:34 am
    Post #5 - January 26th, 2023, 10:34 am Post #5 - January 26th, 2023, 10:34 am
    Buzzword for the new generation.

You know, the same generation that rolls their eyes when you don't use Google for researching anything, yet also won't research things themselves for some reason? Full discolsure: someone I live with buys bone broth, liquid and powder forms. That person might also burn eggs in a non-stick pan more than a few times per week because over the course of a decade, they have not figured out that two eggs cooked in olive oil doesn't require the same gas burner setting as a 40 inch wok needs for stir frying. I've literally stopped mentioning daily that the flames shouldn't be engulfing our little 8inch egg pan, but whatever. Sometimes they turn the burner down when the handle melts a lil, so there's that.

So, I just used Google for what the difference is, and the first response was:
    "Bone broth's are simmered for up to 48 hours"

Once an apostrophe is used like that, I basically just laugh and pivot my attention elsewhere. Generally back to more grown-up pursuits. I fully admit I'm a jerk, so no need to remind me of it.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #6 - January 26th, 2023, 10:52 am
    Post #6 - January 26th, 2023, 10:52 am Post #6 - January 26th, 2023, 10:52 am
    seebee wrote:Buzzword for the new generation.
    ... So, I just used Google for what the difference is, and the first response was:
    "Bone broth's are simmered for up to 48 hours"

Once an apostrophe is used like that, I basically just laugh and pivot my attention elsewhere. Generally back to more grown-up pursuits. I fully admit I'm a jerk, so no need to remind me of it.
    Gosh, someone here in a post (I don't remember who or what post) talked about making chicken stock (for a restaurant) and it sounded like it took days. 48 hours for bone broth? I can almost guarantee that none of the commercial available stuff is simmered for 48 hours. Most likely in a pressure cooker for up to a couple of hours and that's it.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #7 - January 26th, 2023, 11:50 am
    Post #7 - January 26th, 2023, 11:50 am Post #7 - January 26th, 2023, 11:50 am
    For about 30 seconds it implied a higher proportion of collagen/gelatin but that disappeared almost instantly when manufacturers realized they could get a premium just for including the word "bone."
  • Post #8 - January 26th, 2023, 12:33 pm
    Post #8 - January 26th, 2023, 12:33 pm Post #8 - January 26th, 2023, 12:33 pm
    Xexo wrote:48 hours for bone broth?

Don'tcha love phrases like, "up to?"
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #9 - January 26th, 2023, 2:51 pm
    Post #9 - January 26th, 2023, 2:51 pm Post #9 - January 26th, 2023, 2:51 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Xexo wrote:48 hours for bone broth?

Don'tcha love phrases like, "up to?"
    Indeed I do. Leaves so much room for waffling. :wink:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #10 - January 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Post #10 - January 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm Post #10 - January 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm
    Xexo wrote:Indeed I do. Leaves so much room for waffling. :wink:

Mmmmm...waffles.
  • Post #11 - January 26th, 2023, 3:45 pm
    Post #11 - January 26th, 2023, 3:45 pm Post #11 - January 26th, 2023, 3:45 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Indeed I do. Leaves so much room for waffling. :wink:

Mmmmm...waffles.
  • Post #12 - January 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm
    Post #12 - January 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm Post #12 - January 26th, 2023, 3:53 pm
    USDA wrote:From the Labeling Policy Book

BROTH, BEEF OR PORK:
    No distinction has been made between “broth” and “stock.” They may be used interchangeably as the resulting liquid from simmering meat and/or bones in water with seasonings. Both products have an MPR of 135.1 or a 67.1 MPR for concentrate
    MEAT BROTH OR MEAT STOCK:
    MPR 135:1. Condensed 67:1

MPR = Moisture Protein Ratio

It's interesting there's nothing in the document on chicken broth/stock, fish broth/stock, veggie, etc.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #13 - January 26th, 2023, 3:56 pm
    Post #13 - January 26th, 2023, 3:56 pm Post #13 - January 26th, 2023, 3:56 pm
    So WTH is bone broth?

Bone Broth is broth cooked with bones but also cooked much longer to extract the collagen from the bones as well to concentrate the flavor of the broth. When I make 'Bone Broth' I cook chicken in a pot for a minimum of 8 hours overnight on low heat. This lowers amount of liquid you began with but concentrates the flavor of the broth.

So I think the main difference is cooking time, concentration of flavor, concentration collagen.
  • Post #14 - January 26th, 2023, 4:46 pm
    Post #14 - January 26th, 2023, 4:46 pm Post #14 - January 26th, 2023, 4:46 pm
    This all leads me to wonder if there are USDA standards for "bone broth", like it actually has to be made with a certain proportion of bones vs meat trim. I assume "beef broth" must be made with beef and "chicken broth" with chicken, although I wonder if "turkey broth" has to made with only turkey and not turkey + chicken.

Also hoping a food scientist would ring in on why, as Cathy2 pointed out, some broths gel and some do not. Personally I like them strongly gelled, as I think they have a richer feel even when hot. But it might or might not be good if served cold.
  • Post #15 - January 26th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    Post #15 - January 26th, 2023, 4:51 pm Post #15 - January 26th, 2023, 4:51 pm
    tjr wrote:This all leads me to wonder if there are USDA standards for "bone broth", like it actually has to be made with a certain proportion of bones vs meat trim. I assume "beef broth" must be made with beef and "chicken broth" with chicken, although I wonder if "turkey broth" has to made with only turkey and not turkey + chicken.

Also hoping a food scientist would ring in on why, as Cathy2 pointed out, some broths gel and some do not. Personally I like them strongly gelled, as I think they have a richer feel even when hot. But it might or might not be good if served cold.
    I think if you add some chicken feet to your chicken broth, it helps it "gel". Mr. Suburban concentrates his broths/stocks, which he calls "gelatinous", so maybe talk with him about getting yours to gel.
  • Post #16 - January 26th, 2023, 4:59 pm
    Post #16 - January 26th, 2023, 4:59 pm Post #16 - January 26th, 2023, 4:59 pm
    Polster,
    IMO, you’ve described a fortified stock.

I enjoy making my all purpose white poultry stock with turkey wings, necks and chicken feet.
    Important to wash bones under cold running water for 30 or more minutes to remove impurities.
    Transfer to your pot and cover bones with cold water.
    Sanitize sink and yourself.
    Cook at a bare simmer for hours, constantly skimming fat and impurities. Don’t stir or boil!
    Add mirepoix, spices and herbs. No carrot to maintain blonde color. (Also, you aren’t skimming away your mirepoix and spices.)
    Simmer no less than four total hours and strain. Longer cooking will darken stock.

I believe so called “ bone broth” to be a marketing ploy. My opinion from 40 years in kitchens.

Happy cooking.

Evil
    Last edited by Evil Ronnie on January 26th, 2023, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #17 - January 26th, 2023, 8:22 pm
    Post #17 - January 26th, 2023, 8:22 pm Post #17 - January 26th, 2023, 8:22 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    So WTH is bone broth?

A marketing term.

Even sillier are the flavored versions, e.g. "Thai Lemongrass Chicken Bone Broth"

That's soup.

Exactly
  • Post #18 - January 26th, 2023, 8:59 pm
    Post #18 - January 26th, 2023, 8:59 pm Post #18 - January 26th, 2023, 8:59 pm
    I am not endorsing this, but bone broth was popularized by Dr. Kellyann Petrucci, and naturopathic physician, who advocates her 15 day bone broth diet. In this diet, you follow a paleo diet, in which you consume bone broth, and this is interspersed with two days of fasting where you only consume bone broth on those two days. She has sold lots of copies of her books.
  • Post #19 - January 27th, 2023, 3:42 pm
    Post #19 - January 27th, 2023, 3:42 pm Post #19 - January 27th, 2023, 3:42 pm
    Just saw this in the Washington Post. Broth vs. stock: What’s the difference and does it matter?. Most likely it is pay walled. I block a lot of Java Script, so I don't always notice.
  • Post #20 - January 27th, 2023, 4:15 pm
    Post #20 - January 27th, 2023, 4:15 pm Post #20 - January 27th, 2023, 4:15 pm
    Xexo wrote:Just saw this in the Washington Post. Broth vs. stock: What’s the difference and does it matter?. Most likely it is pay walled. I block a lot of Java Script, so I don't always notice.

I can’t reach it either, but strongly suspect it’s yet another “fluff” article from some Jr. “journalist.”
    Fortified poultry stock again…
  • Post #21 - January 27th, 2023, 4:23 pm
    Post #21 - January 27th, 2023, 4:23 pm Post #21 - January 27th, 2023, 4:23 pm
    Written by Aaron Hutcherson has a blog The Hungry Hutch.
  • Post #22 - January 27th, 2023, 4:25 pm
    Post #22 - January 27th, 2023, 4:25 pm Post #22 - January 27th, 2023, 4:25 pm
    Xexo wrote:Just saw this in the Washington Post. Broth vs. stock: What’s the difference and does it matter?. Most likely it is pay walled. I block a lot of Java Script, so I don't always notice.

Here's what they found...
    "Overall, however, the best option for most home cooks is unsalted or no-salt-added stock or broth, which is typically what I call for in recipes because you’re most likely going to be adding salt and seasoning to taste, regardless. (Low- or reduced-sodium options are a good second choice, though you will need check the nutrition label to see which product has the least amount.)

But don’t fret too much: When you’re just trying to get dinner on the table, whatever you have on hand will do. As a cook, salt is paramount, so you need to be aware that the people who made the product you bought and/or the person who wrote the recipe that you’re following might not have considered the nuance of stock vs. broth and the impact they can have. (Full disclosure: even we have been a little loosey-goosey with the terms in our broth and stock recipe names.) So check the broth or stock’s sodium levels before adding to your recipe, be judicious about seasoning (particularly when the liquid will be reduced), and taste your food."
  • Post #23 - January 27th, 2023, 5:02 pm
    Post #23 - January 27th, 2023, 5:02 pm Post #23 - January 27th, 2023, 5:02 pm
    Interesting, Artie; thanks.

Can't help noticing that the article and much of the discussion on broth/stock (and the failure to distinguish between the two) focuses only on flavor and salt content. This disregards the health benefits of gelatin derived from the collagen in animal bones, sinews, etc. If you're vegetarian/vegan and want to steer clear of animal-based gelatin, fine, but otherwise, it's an additional benefit of animal-based stocks.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #24 - January 29th, 2023, 1:45 am
    Post #24 - January 29th, 2023, 1:45 am Post #24 - January 29th, 2023, 1:45 am
    Koreans use ‘Bone’ Broth extensively distinguished by it’s ‘milky’ appearance.
    It is available at H-Mart.
    -Richard
    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sagol-gukmul
  • Post #25 - January 29th, 2023, 9:56 am
    Post #25 - January 29th, 2023, 9:56 am Post #25 - January 29th, 2023, 9:56 am
    budrichard wrote:Koreans use ‘Bone’ Broth extensively distinguished by it’s ‘milky’ appearance.
    It is available at H-Mart.
    -Richard
    https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/sagol-gukmul

Hi Richard,
    Actually, it’s a classic Korean soup! More than 20 years ago, a large group of “Chowhound Chicago” dissidents (pre LTH Forum) met at that place on Lawrence Ave which closed for years…back open again) to try this dish which was accompanied with coarse salt.
    I’m guessing that the milky viscosity was a result of long boiling, like some ramen soups.
    I was not a fan of this soup, but as usual, the camaraderie was great. I seem to remember Gary, Hammond, Gebert and Peter, but the rest is very cloudy.

• Post #26 - June 9th, 2023, 7:16 am
    Post #26 - June 9th, 2023, 7:16 am Post #26 - June 9th, 2023, 7:16 am
    Bone broth is a type of broth that is made by simmering bones and connective tissues for a longer time, which extracts more nutrients and collagen. It's known for its rich flavor and potential health benefits.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more