LTH Home

Self Checkout

Self Checkout
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Self Checkout

Post #1 - January 8th, 2023, 2:04 pm
    Post #1 - January 8th, 2023, 2:04 pm Post #1 - January 8th, 2023, 2:04 pm
    I split off this subject from where it has been seemingly propagating in "Other Culinary Chat".
    NFriday wrote: At Sam's Club, they have somebody at the door where you exit checking your receipt to make sure it matches what you have in your cart. I could see somebody going to the self checkout at Jewel or Walmart and stealing something.
    This is also the instance at Walmart. There, I had to use a staffed checkout line because I could not find the tag with the UPC Code of the fanny pack I was buying. The clerk opened all the zippers, and removed packing papers stuffed inside one of the pockets to find a fabric tag with the UPC Code. Could you envision anybody doing this in the self checkout area?
    There was somebody checking receipts at the exit door here as well.
    tjr wrote: [edit]
    On the theft issue, I suspect the main modus operandi for grocery shoplifting is simply dumping products into a large coat or stroller, or bolting for the exit, rather than sneaking them through the self checkout. For self checkout theft, it's much easier at stores like Walmart or PicknSave where purchases don't need to be put on the scale compared with Woodmans or Jewel where they do. But I assume Walmart studied their decision and found it worthwhile to forgo the scale to make the system work more smoothly. And I'm not surprised that the chaos that characterizes Costco is particularly vulnerable to theft, given the variety of small high priced items.
    There is something else involved with self checkout: The ability of the person checking out to get the package scanned. On the November day when I was out-&-about in the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint; shopping at the Harwood Heights Aldi, I bought the Advent calendar of twenty-four beers [from Oktopi Brwg. in Wisconsin]. The Advent box was 'enclosed' by a cardboard sleeve which had the UPC Code. In my cart, it was on the bottom ledge. In a lane with a clerk, I could not get this case out of the cart and in a spot where it could be scanned without the box trying to slide out the side of the cardboard sleeve and | or the shopping cart rolling away as I tried to pick up the case. The clerk wound up blocking the shopping cart's movement with her leg as I grabbed the open ends of the cardboard sleeve. Aldi does not have a trigger gun for anybody. Let's see :?: if anybody successfully bought this thru self checkout. I suspect not many did. Will this be discontinued in 2023 because hardly any of them were reported 'sold'?
    {There are three cans remnant of this case today. Oktopi Brwg. gave itself a nine-month freshness code.}
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #2 - November 10th, 2023, 6:09 pm
    Post #2 - November 10th, 2023, 6:09 pm Post #2 - November 10th, 2023, 6:09 pm
    When it comes to grocery shopping, there seem to be two kinds of people in this world: those who prefer self-checkout, and those who prefer interaction with a human.

Booths, a small chain that has sold groceries in northern England since 1847, has decided its customers belong to the latter category and announced this week that it will be getting rid of the self-checkouts in all but two of its 28 stores. They’re bucking a trend that has remade retail shopping around the world over the last 20 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/10/busi ... ticleShare
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - November 10th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Post #3 - November 10th, 2023, 8:31 pm Post #3 - November 10th, 2023, 8:31 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    When it comes to grocery shopping, there seem to be two kinds of people in this world: those who prefer self-checkout, and those who prefer interaction with a human.

Booths, a small chain that has sold groceries in northern England since 1847, has decided its customers belong to the latter category and announced this week that it will be getting rid of the self-checkouts in all but two of its 28 stores. They’re bucking a trend that has remade retail shopping around the world over the last 20 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/10/busi ... ticleShare

I’m not sure the need for “human interaction” has much to do with it—I just don’t want to do all the work. I prefer to bag my own stuff but having to scan, make sure things ring up correctly and bagging is too much!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - November 10th, 2023, 8:36 pm
    Post #4 - November 10th, 2023, 8:36 pm Post #4 - November 10th, 2023, 8:36 pm
    I have noticed that Jewel has made things a little easier to do self-checkout: they don't seem to be weighing (as many?) things as you scan, and they don't care that you're using your own bags anymore. Errors that require calling the human to assist seem much fewer lately, but scanning the same thing in a row seems to be a trigger.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - November 11th, 2023, 7:53 am
    Post #5 - November 11th, 2023, 7:53 am Post #5 - November 11th, 2023, 7:53 am
    Depends on your generation and ability with electronic devices.
    You have to be able to ‘Learn’ what the machine has been taught, so to speak and use the machine with that in mind for efficient service.
    At my Club, I spend time ‘fixing’ my friends phone and auto interfaces. My grand children can do these things without giving them a second thought.
    I suspect that the cliental of the Grocery that removed the Auto Checkers was older.
    I suspect that the older generation is not having a good time with the Computer Interfaces present in Today’s society?
    I feel sad for them and try to help whenever I can.
    -Richard
  • Post #6 - November 11th, 2023, 8:33 am
    Post #6 - November 11th, 2023, 8:33 am Post #6 - November 11th, 2023, 8:33 am
    I avoid self checkout, mainly on principle ( that's stupid, I know ). If I have 2 or 3 items and there appears to be some wait for human checkout, I will use it.
  • Post #7 - November 14th, 2023, 8:55 am
    Post #7 - November 14th, 2023, 8:55 am Post #7 - November 14th, 2023, 8:55 am
    Hi,

Outlier here! I like self-checkout.

What I especially like is bagging my groceries allowing them to arrive home pre-sorted. What belongs in the refrigerator or freezer are bagged together. What goes straight to the kitchen is one group of bags. What goes to the basement freezer, fridge or shelves are already sorted out, too.

If I am at Jewel, they prefer rainchecks go through the regular lines. I then watch with gritted teeth how randomly stuff is handled and usually more bags than I would choose to use.

The long lines at Costco self-checkout move pretty quickly. The only snag is if I am going to get something at the food court, it is hit or miss if a clerk will add it to my tab.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more