LTH Home

North Side knife sharpener

North Side knife sharpener
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • North Side knife sharpener

Post #1 - December 11th, 2021, 12:18 pm
    Post #1 - December 11th, 2021, 12:18 pm Post #1 - December 11th, 2021, 12:18 pm
    I've noted people being less happy with the knife sharpening at Northwest Cutlery. Just read this article on Block Club about a chef who started a knife sharpening business during the pandemic.

Has anyone tried him out? I'm not as ambitious about home sharpening as Ronnie, and my knives could do with a good professional sharpening.

North Side Cutlery
    4316 N. Lincoln Ave.
    (773) 270-5903
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #2 - December 11th, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Post #2 - December 11th, 2021, 2:21 pm Post #2 - December 11th, 2021, 2:21 pm
    Giovanna wrote:I've noted people being less happy with the knife sharpening at Northwest Cutlery. Just read this article on Block Club about a chef who started a knife sharpening business during the pandemic.

Has anyone tried him out? I'm not as ambitious about home sharpening as Ronnie, and my knives could do with a good professional sharpening.

North Side Cutlery
    4316 N. Lincoln Ave.
    (773) 270-5903

I've come to really love sharpening my own blades but I saw the piece too and it piqued my interest. Without ever having set foot in the place, I'm already a fan. I'd be curious to know if anyone has checked it out, what pricing and turn-around times are like, etc?

Can a one-man hand-sharpening show be a viable business? I really hope so.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - December 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm
    Post #3 - December 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm Post #3 - December 11th, 2021, 3:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Can a one-man hand-sharpening show be a viable business? I really hope so.
    =R=

Contemplating a career change ? :)
  • Post #4 - December 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm
    Post #4 - December 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm Post #4 - December 11th, 2021, 3:52 pm
    lougord99 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Can a one-man hand-sharpening show be a viable business? I really hope so.
    =R=

Contemplating a career change ? :)

LOL, no. Just rooting for the little guys. :)

Was thinking about how scalable (or not) a business like this could be.

=R=
  • Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 4:22 pm
    Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 4:22 pm Post #5 - December 11th, 2021, 4:22 pm
    The article really doesn't talk about how the chef does the sharpening.

Exact Blade is a 1-man sharpener in Northbrook that has been going many years ( and does a very good job ).

The photo shows him sharpening on a stone, but there is an electric device nearby. If the majority of the sharpening is on a stone, I suspect that a better job can be done than 100% on a spinning wheel. It will also take 15-30 minutes versus the 2-3 minutes on a spinning wheel. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has been here.
  • Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm
    Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm Post #6 - December 11th, 2021, 4:30 pm
    lougord99 wrote:The article really doesn't talk about how the chef does the sharpening.

Exact Blade is a 1-man sharpener in Northbrook that has been going many years ( and does a very good job ).

The photo shows him sharpening on a stone, but there is an electric device nearby. If the majority of the sharpening is on a stone, I suspect that a better job can be done than 100% on a spinning wheel. It will also take 15-30 minutes versus the 2-3 minutes on a spinning wheel. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has been here.

All true but don't forget that Exact Blade also sells knives, which I presume has some impact on his bottom line.

=R=
  • Post #7 - December 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm
    Post #7 - December 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm Post #7 - December 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm
    Giovanna wrote:I've noted people being less happy with the knife sharpening at Northwest Cutlery.

Where? I've been to NWC since the move for knife sharpening and did not notice a drop-off in quality.

Giovanna wrote:Just read this article on Block Club about a chef who started a knife sharpening business during the pandemic.

Very cool info, can't wait to try him out, thanks.

Also, I believe in addition to sharpening, which the one time I went was tip-top, and selling knives, Exact Blade also has a knife sharpening service for restaurants. Similar to Cozzini or Superior, though I'd imagine much smaller scale.

I would agree NWC has lost a little "soul" in the new building, though given 40-50 more years in the same space I'd imagine it will develop.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #8 - December 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm
    Post #8 - December 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm Post #8 - December 11th, 2021, 5:24 pm
    lougord99 wrote:The photo shows him sharpening on a stone, but there is an electric device nearby. If the majority of the sharpening is on a stone, I suspect that a better job can be done than 100% on a spinning wheel. It will also take 15-30 minutes versus the 2-3 minutes on a spinning wheel. I would be interested to hear from anyone that has been here.

I was surprised to see that the standard service was more expensive than the whetstone sharpening service for the very reasons you described. My understanding was that it took longer.

I'm all for more people having access to sharp knives so I wish him luck.

https://northsidecutlery.com/
  • Post #9 - December 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm
    Post #9 - December 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm Post #9 - December 11th, 2021, 7:49 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Giovanna wrote:I've noted people being less happy with the knife sharpening at Northwest Cutlery.

Where? I've been to NWC since the move for knife sharpening and did not notice a drop-off in quality.

I remember seeing more than one comment like
    this

I'm not easily finding other ones, but I remember seeing them.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #10 - December 11th, 2021, 9:43 pm
    Post #10 - December 11th, 2021, 9:43 pm Post #10 - December 11th, 2021, 9:43 pm
    I think Cutco on Lake and Skokie Blvd does knife sharpening of non Cutco knives for like $5 / knife. They just tell you before hand there is no warranty on the knives as there not Cutco brand.

Cutco
    3207 Lake Ave
    Wilmette, IL 60091
  • Post #11 - December 12th, 2021, 3:39 am
    Post #11 - December 12th, 2021, 3:39 am Post #11 - December 12th, 2021, 3:39 am
    Giovanna wrote:I remember seeing more than one comment like
    this

A three page LTH thread about Northwestern Cutlery with one or two negatives is not exactly condemnation. Though I agree a few were not happy with the service, thanks for pointing that out.

Though I am able to achieve a good to decent edge with stones at home I remain a fan of Northwestern Cutlery for a once a year touch-up on some of my more used higher end knives.

Northwestern Cutlery, count me a Fan!

Northwestern Cutlery
    7138 W Higgins Ave
    Chicago, IL 60656
    312-421-3666
    https://nwcutlery.com/
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - December 24th, 2021, 11:15 am
    Post #12 - December 24th, 2021, 11:15 am Post #12 - December 24th, 2021, 11:15 am
    I realize that I am late to the party for anyone needing to get knives sharpened for the holidays, but I just want to throw in a good word for NW Cutlery. We took our entire block to be sharpened prior to Thanksgiving. First time at the new location and I've noticed no drop off in the quality of service. As I'm prepping for Xmas eve & day, I'm still so happy that we took the time to make the trek - knives are getting the job done today!
  • Post #13 - January 1st, 2022, 10:12 pm
    Post #13 - January 1st, 2022, 10:12 pm Post #13 - January 1st, 2022, 10:12 pm
    Giovanna wrote:I've noted people being less happy with the knife sharpening at Northwest Cutlery. Just read this article on Block Club about a chef who started a knife sharpening business during the pandemic.

North Side Cutlery
    4316 N. Lincoln Ave.
    (773) 270-5903

I had Kevin sharpen several of my knives months ago after he posted on a neighborhood Facebook group advertising his services. I think it was shortly after he moved to Chicago. I thought the quality of the sharpening was great, and at that time he offered pickup and dropoff service. I think he was maybe a little pricier than some other options, but I was didn't mind paying extra because of the pickup/dropoff and to help out someone new to the area.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #14 - September 22nd, 2023, 1:54 pm
    Post #14 - September 22nd, 2023, 1:54 pm Post #14 - September 22nd, 2023, 1:54 pm
    I took my Wüsthof and Shun knives to Northside Cutlery and was very happy with the sharpening job that Kevin did.

It's been years since they've been professionally sharpened and it's a joy to cut things now!

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #15 - October 9th, 2023, 2:05 am
    Post #15 - October 9th, 2023, 2:05 am Post #15 - October 9th, 2023, 2:05 am
    Northside Cutlery is giving a knife sharpening demo at the Uptown branch of the library: https://chipublib.bibliocommons.com/eve ... 4c00d05452

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more